Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Originally Posted by chess
All that said, I'm sure some fanboy somewhere flipped their shit over Insomniac making an XB1 exclusive.
Started when they went multiplatform.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/im...mes.452683442/
Old 08-14-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
I didn't realize that SO was an Insomniac game until a couple weeks ago but really didn't care as those guys and their R&C series became so stale years ago
I'd argue that All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault were Insomniac trying to avoid being stale with Ratchet and Clank (kind of like the spinoffs that Nintendo does with their mascots), but the end results just weren't any good. I'm optimistic about Sunset Overdrive as there's just such a lust for life and bursting-at-the-seams excitement feel to the whole thing.
Old 08-14-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'd argue that All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault were Insomniac trying to avoid being stale with Ratchet and Clank (kind of like the spinoffs that Nintendo does with their mascots), but the end results just weren't any good. I'm optimistic about Sunset Overdrive as there's just such a lust for life and bursting-at-the-seams excitement feel to the whole thing.
yeah, you may be right but like you said they did not succeed with the new innovations which in turn made the old stuff seem ..... old
Old 08-14-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
There's something overly familiar with what I've seen on SO so far, there's just a odd sense of "Me too!" to the whole thing -- an odd open world Jet Set Radio meets Half-Life by way of Infamous. But I hope it turns out well.
Old 08-14-14, 03:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

If Microsoft said, "We have exclusivity for 6 months," that would have yielded far worse results than any other decision made regarding this deal. Less day one sales, less sales of the inevitable port, etc.

If a title is a timed exclusive, and that deal is done, it doesn't matter. It's still exclusive until it's literally not. What I mean is, even if exclusivity ends on a specific date, that doesn't guarantee that the port will be released exactly one day after that ends. It comes out when it comes out. The problem is, people need to hear that it's not exclusive forever and that they have something to look forward to and etc. etc. etc.

In a way, it would almost be better if all of these companies learned to just say, "It's exclusive, and that's all you need to know." When the port comes, then they can say, "It was exclusive then. Now it is not." It's simple stuff. But all of this, "It's coming out on platform X first but you may or may not be able to buy it elsewhere in X months, *wink* *wink*" just convolutes the issue. I'd rather they say, "Porting to any other platform depends on the success of the launch platform."

I asked Zojoi (makers of Shadowgate) if/when they were going to port the game to consoles. They said it depends on how the PC version does. Damn right, it does. If the PC version bombs, then what incentive do they have to port it to consoles? The same could be said for Rise of the Tomb Raider. If the XO/360 versions completely and utterly bomb, why would they rush to get the Playstation versions out as soon as the exclusive period ends, dumping more money into PS3/PS4 licensing, marketing, etc.? Speculation that people were holding out for the "better" version?

We're all just speculating, of course, but those guys have to decide how to spend their mountains of cash, which we all know every game studio has tons of.
Old 08-14-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

It's a far lower profile game, but Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare was announced as an exclusive on the 360/XO and nobody really questioned it at all. If there was confirmation that it was only a timed exclusive, I never heard it. It's coming to the PS3 and PS4 with exclusive content almost exactly 6 months later -- to the complete indifference of the buying public, I'd assume. Not sure if it would have sold better launching as a multi-platform port, but I do think the interest in this multiplayer game has cooled off considerably.
Old 08-14-14, 03:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Speaking of multiplayer, can we petition Crystal Dynamics to just NOT include any sort of MP whatsoever in this game?
Old 08-14-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It's a far lower profile game, but Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare was announced as an exclusive on the 360/XO and nobody really questioned it at all. If there was confirmation that it was only a timed exclusive, I never heard it. It's coming to the PS3 and PS4 with exclusive content almost exactly 6 months later -- to the complete indifference of the buying public, I'd assume. Not sure if it would have sold better launching as a multi-platform port, but I do think the interest in this multiplayer game has cooled off considerably.
PvZ was announced as an exclusive IIRC.

I don't know if the deal was in place at E3 (doubt it), but if they had announced it there with the first teaser, I think the reaction might have been different.
Old 08-14-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Reopened by request, but don't make me come back there!
Yeah, you better know your role bitch!
Old 08-14-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

This is the same strategy that was employed at E3 in 2013. I believe they paid Konami to not mention the other versions of the game coming out, a lot of titles were "Exclusive" or "Console Exclusive" or "Time Exclusive".
Old 08-14-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Glad to see cooler heads prevail and the thread opened back up. Seemed like a silly lock since 99% of the discussion has been civil.

Originally Posted by Dan
If Microsoft said, "We have exclusivity for 6 months," that would have yielded far worse results than any other decision made regarding this deal. Less day one sales, less sales of the inevitable port, etc.
I don't follow. How would they sell less on day one? Sony still has Uncharted for next fall, and TR will be filler on the X1. As it stands TR is not a day one purchase for most people. The last game made good in-roads to change people's minds about ROtTR, but they just fumbled on the 5 yard line.

Originally Posted by Dan
If a title is a timed exclusive, and that deal is done, it doesn't matter. It's still exclusive until it's literally not. What I mean is, even if exclusivity ends on a specific date, that doesn't guarantee that the port will be released exactly one day after that ends. It comes out when it comes out. The problem is, people need to hear that it's not exclusive forever and that they have something to look forward to and etc. etc. etc.
What do Crystal Dynamics employees do during the 6 month post release window if not work on the PS4 version?

Originally Posted by Dan
In a way, it would almost be better if all of these companies learned to just say, "It's exclusive, and that's all you need to know." When the port comes, then they can say, "It was exclusive then. Now it is not." It's simple stuff. But all of this, "It's coming out on platform X first but you may or may not be able to buy it elsewhere in X months, *wink* *wink*" just convolutes the issue. I'd rather they say, "Porting to any other platform depends on the success of the launch platform."
Except there are other factors at play. This fall Crystal Dynamics is trying to sell another TR game to the people they just shunned. Had it been a hard and fast, "this is X1 exclusive" as in your example, they won't be selling many copies of their other game to PS4 users. With them coming out and confirming that it's timed, it softens the blow a bit in the same way dev's use the *wink* *wink* stuff. Speaking for myself, if RotTR was X1 exclusive, that's a non sale for Temple of Osiris this fall. I have no problem speaking with my wallet. At least now ToO is back into potential purchase territory.

Originally Posted by Dan
If the XO/360 versions completely and utterly bomb, why would they rush to get the Playstation versions out as soon as the exclusive period ends, dumping more money into PS3/PS4 licensing, marketing, etc.? Speculation that people were holding out for the "better" version?
Because Tomb Raider. Playstation users typically account for 3/4ths of TR sales. Bombing on the X1 is not an indicator that it will bomb on PS4, it could just be business as usual in this case. This is an instance of CD getting their cake(moneyhat from MS to offset potential average xbox sales based on history) and eating it too(still getting all the PS users to buy in).
Old 08-14-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems pretty obvious that the wording from Microsoft and Crystal Dynamics is to give people the impression that the only way to play Rise of the Tomb Raider is with an XBox One and hope it generates some console sales. And while the game might not be a system seller on it's own, it's one of those additions that might make someone on the fence or might still be waiting to buy a console think "Well I know I want to play Halo eventually, but if Microsoft has Tomb Raider too now I know i'll get one!" Whereas if they straight up say "Rise of the Tomb Raider is exclusive for 6 months" or whatever, they know they can wait a few months for the PS4 version and not worry about needing an XBox. Makes sense to me why they wanted to avoid saying timed, or the actual time frame, if possible.

I also think its interesting that people are down playing the franchise and the reboot as far as it not being a day one purchase. Profitability for Square-Enix not withstanding, it sold a shit ton. And according to Wiki, over a million in the first 2 days and over 6.5 million overall.
Old 08-14-14, 06:00 PM

Does that 6.5 million figure include all those who got it for free on Playstation Plus?
Old 08-14-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I also think its interesting that people are down playing the franchise and the reboot as far as it not being a day one purchase. Profitability for Square-Enix not withstanding, it sold a shit ton. And according to Wiki, over a million in the first 2 days and over 6.5 million overall.
Still less than Watch Dogs.

What people are downplaying the franchise and the reboot? I think almost everyone here loved it.
Old 08-14-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Still less than Watch Dogs.

What people are downplaying the franchise and the reboot? I think almost everyone here loved it.
What does Watch Dogs have to do with anything?

And i'm referring to Corvin above saying that the game won't be a day one purchase for most people, plus all the comments on the first page after the initial news came out about the game not being a system seller.
Old 08-14-14, 06:18 PM

I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as most folks here, apparently. Better than Uncharted 2 ? No freaking way!

I thought it was a very good game, but could have been way better with story (left as unexplained as anything on LOST), combat and I was a little annoyed that by the time I was fully upgraded, there really wasn't anybody left to fight.

Also thought the game was unnecessarily "mature" and gory, with tons and tons of rotting corpses for no apparent reason but shock value on this island of nothing but adult men apparently.

Also thought the Tomb sections were really, really lame. Hope there's more Tomb Raiding in the sequel.
Old 08-14-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What does Watch Dogs have to do with anything?
Nothing except that it sold more and wasn't really a system seller. You mentioned the 6.5M and that number sparked the Watch Dogs sales in my head, because it's a similar number.

And i'm referring to Corvin above saying that the game won't be a day one purchase for most people, plus all the comments on the first page after the initial news came out about the game not being a system seller.
Corvin loved the TR reboot and has said so multiple times in the thread.

For my part, I loved the game, but like Decker, it's nowhere near UC2 for my money. TR is like an AC for me. Something I like but that I pick up later and cheaper.
Old 08-14-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Corvin loved the TR reboot and has said so multiple times in the thread.
That's nice, but I don't see how it has anything to do with what I initially said or refute it.
Old 08-14-14, 08:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Count me in as someone who LOVED the last TR and is quite disappointed at this news. At this point, once the new version comes out, I'll wait for a discount or just get a used copy. I understand the economics of why CD made the decision, but as someone who's got a PS4 and is staying PS4 only for the next year or two, I have no interest in reward devs who are already getting infusions of cash to put their games out on systems I don't have.

Of course is a game is a timed exclusive for the PS4 I have no issue with that.
Old 08-14-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Hypo
Old 08-14-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Favorite game of 2013. I just finished the Definitive last night and as of right now best game of 2014 as well.

Check the old thread. TR being a single player game means there is no rush to buy it immediately. Haven't read the old thread lately but I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of "I'll try it eventually" posts. That kind of mentality does not equate to system seller to me. As mentioned TR is a solid 'library' game like fumanstu mentioned. Couple it with a Halo and it will push someone over the edge to buy a console. There's nothing wrong with that, I think we need more games like that. Nintendo needs to break out WaveRace, F-zero and Eternal Darkness... all would make great 'library' games.

Like I mentioned above though, is CD gained a lot of that buzz back to turn TR back into a day one purchase for the sequel and basically flushed all that goodwill & word of mouth down the drain with this move.

For my part, I loved the game, but like Decker, it's nowhere near UC2 for my money. TR is like an AC for me. Something I like but that I pick up later and cheaper.
... and there's my point proven.

And TR eats Uncharted 2's hand holding/corridor gaming/lousy shooting any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And this is from someone who had U2 as their GOTY. Took what Naughty Dog started and did it better. The only place where the game fails, IMO, is the tombs. What a joke. I've always said Uncharted's best puzzle wouldn't even rank amongst Tomb Raider's worst... well, TR2013 changed all that.
Old 08-14-14, 10:01 PM

Let's agree to disagree. Loved TR, but loved Uncharted much more. Maybe it's just personal taste.

One thing I do sincerely hope for in the sequel (besides much better tombs) is a much lighter tone. While the first game did convey urgency and danger, it seemed overly grim and gory for the franchise. I know I'd much prefer a sense of exploration and wonder in the new game; a little levity between characters. More action-adventure movie, less torture porn.
Old 08-14-14, 10:18 PM
Banned by request

Given that Lara is meant to be untested and not an adventurer in the last one, I think the grim tone was useful in conveying exactly how out of her depth she was, which made the journey all the more compelling. I'm guessing the sequel would be less serious as now she's more used to things.
Old 08-14-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

TR was much better than both UC1 and UC2, and about even with UC2. In terms of the pure fun that I experienced, TR beats all 3...just edges out UC2.

I agree with Corvin that TR was for the best game of 2013 (tied with GTA V for me)...The Last of Us isn't even in my top 10.

Can't wait for TR2, and i'd bet dollars to donuts (whatever that means) that it is a standard 6 month deal with an October Xbox launch and PS4 launch in April....just long enough for a lot of PS4 people to not care.

This already gives MS 2 holiday wins in a row for best games. Halo, Forza and Sunset this year vs nothing and Driveclub. Halo and TR2 vs UC4 next year...with TR2 being similar enough in gameplay to UC4 to satisfy some folks and Halo 5 to destroy the rest. I'm sure UC4 will look a hell of a lot nicer, but will it be fun to play?
Old 08-14-14, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Even if you think that the UC games aren't as good as the last TR, I think it's pretty silly to suggest that they aren't even fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.