Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
re: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't think fighting games move the needle at all in the US, but maybe it'll help PS4 sales in Japan.
I don't know if these numbers are accurate, but I read on another forum that for SFIV, the U.S. accounted for 48% of sales while Japan contributed only around 14%. I don't know what could be released in Japan to break them out of their apathy towards consoles.
Old 12-10-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't know if these numbers are accurate, but I read on another forum that for SFIV, the U.S. accounted for 48% of sales while Japan contributed only around 14%. I don't know what could be released in Japan to break them out of their apathy towards consoles.
New Pokemon, New Monster Hunter, New Metal Gear, New "good" Resident Evil, etc; Or maybe something new. I mean in the US the best sellers are the 7th iteration of Grand Theft Auto which isn't hugely different from 3, VC, SA, or 4 (though I'll admit, a lot more fun than 4), the 11th Call of Duty game (excluding the Xbox/PS2 ones), the 7th/8th Assassins' Creed, etc;

Video gaming has gotten bland with open world and shooters, everything feels very much the same. Maybe if they throw something out with some personality and an actual plot the Japanese may take interest. RPGs have become so focused on wandering around empty terrain with minimal plot and with no hint of personality. Nintendo has just been simply repeating itself wholesale, I couldn't tell you the new additions to Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros because they feel so insubstantial.

Gaming budgets are so high now that companies are rewarded for simply playing it safe and it kind of sucks. People bitch and moan about all the indie gaming stuff but at least those are occasionally unique and fun to play.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-10-14 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Also I think it's funny they have essentially shot themselves in the foot twice now. IIRC, first announcing the exclusivity right before announcing Temple of Osiris and reconfirming it right before ToO comes out. Keep reminding me why I shouldn't buy ToO, Microsoft.
Shooting themselves in the foot? I'm going to guess the number of people that are as angry about this as you seem to be, enough to boycott anything Tomb Raider, is pretty limited. At least I hope so, given what we've been discussing here since if everyone boycotted companies that hand out exclusives game sales would tank.

Didn't mean to imply it was 'okay.' I just meant it's understandable that a company comes out swinging for the fences if they're just getting into the industry. Kinda like MS buying Rare. All bets are off with a newcomer.
Okay and understandable seem to be basically the same thing in this context to me. It should be just as understandable for these sort of deals to maintain or recover their position in the market. Shouldn't we expect companies to swing for the fences all the time?
Old 12-10-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Paging discostu to say that these are all shit franchises.
Lol nope. While a LOT of them have become very stale (GoW, a Ratchet...) over the years and some were never good (resistance, killzone), a majority of them have had some really good games. I loved some old Ratchet, sly and GOW. Heavy Rain was possibly the best PS3 game behind UC2...to bad Beyond was poop.
Old 12-10-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I too was amazed at how quickly both GoW franchises wore out their welcome. The one thing Microsoft always succeeded in that Sony constantly failed at was getting exclusive titles with great online play.

Halo is an okay series but the online community kept it alive and bustling for years at a time, same for Gears of War.

Sony's exclusives were generally solid single player experiences, but you could be done with those in a week. And when they tried to expand on that (SOCOM, Killzone, Resistance) they came off as knockoffs for better titles.
Old 12-10-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Never got the love for God of War. It was fun for a game, game and a half, but it's beyond repetitive and Kratos is just a bleak protagonist.

Originally Posted by discostu1337
You're just mad that they did EXACTLY what Sony is doing with Street Fighter and has had a much better first year in everything but worldwide sales numbers (because the internet is full of people like you).
Difference between TR & SF? I love one franchise (TR was my favorite game last year and the Definitive was just as fun again this year) and haven't given a shit about the other since it was on the SNES. One affects my gaming, the other does not. As much as people rag on MS's D-pads, there's a reason why more noise hasn't been made about SF.

Lol man Corvin you are a crazy anti-MS fanboy. They have done nothing but good for their gamers for over a year now with the Xbox One...deal with it. Sony is the one that should be pissing off gamers with broken promises, crappy-to-zero exclusives, no relevant system updates or good holiday deals this year.

Buy an Xbox if you wanna play it, I promise it won't give you AIDS.
Generally it's easier to just ignore you but what the hell... Despite your repeated claims and going over this at least once before, I'm not anti MS in the slightest. I love my 360; console of choice, 100k gamerscore, greatest controller ever, etc (all that kool-aid). I'm anti X1 and business practices and concepts related to the console (Kinect, original DRM, buying exclusives instead of developing them, etc). It all just rubs me the wrong way and as a consumer I can voice my dislike with my wallet and hell, even share my opinion on a discussion board.

Sorry if that offends you so much.

-posted from my anti-MS hating Windows phone*

*Okay, not really... to long for a phone post, but I do have and love my Windows phone.
Old 12-10-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lol man Corvin you are a crazy anti-MS fanboy. They have done nothing but good for their gamers for over a year now with the Xbox One...deal with it. Sony is the one that should be pissing off gamers with broken promises, crappy-to-zero exclusives, no relevant system updates or good holiday deals this year.

Hey Kettle, it's Pot. You're black.
Old 12-10-14, 10:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Oh Stu...
Old 12-10-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're just mad that they did EXACTLY what Sony is doing with Street Fighter and has had a much better first year in everything but worldwide sales numbers (because the internet is full of people like you).

Buy an Xbox if you wanna play it, I promise it won't give you AIDS.
This is an amazing rant!

Tough year Stu?
Old 12-10-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tough year? the guys is nuts. He's like me and you combined, times 100. I'm surprised he isn't lighting his 360 on fire and getting a full body Kratos tattoo
Old 12-10-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Generally it's easier to just ignore you but what the hell... Despite your repeated claims and going over this at least once before, I'm not anti MS in the slightest. I love my 360; console of choice, 100k gamerscore, greatest controller ever, etc (all that kool-aid). I'm anti X1 and business practices and concepts related to the console (Kinect, original DRM, buying exclusives instead of developing them, etc). It all just rubs me the wrong way and as a consumer I can voice my dislike with my wallet and hell, even share my opinion on a discussion board.

Sorry if that offends you so much.

Old 12-10-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tough year? the guys is nuts. He's like me and you combined, times 100. I'm surprised he isn't lighting his 360 on fire and getting a full body Kratos tattoo
All I know is that when I read your post, I kind of felt like this guy:

---Dan----------Me----------Groucho---

And Corvin is a Nintendo fanboy, if anything. So am I.
Old 12-10-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
(I think, maybe, there should be a catch-all "Gaming Industry Discussion" thread if people want to be civil and keep discussing this stuff. I think it'd be a good idea, but that's for the mods/admins to decide. But I don't want to keep derailing this thread with this discussion. I'm saying this, because I was going to speculate some more about financials and that boring stuff, but this thread isn't the place for that)
Originally Posted by Dan
Oh Stu...
Pretty sure this is the reason why we can't have these discussions maturely in it's own thread

One affects my gaming, the other does not.
I guess this pretty much sums up the situation. It's easy to turn a blind eye when it's over a game you don't care about, as hypocritical as it is.
Old 12-10-14, 11:55 AM

I would have a serious case of schadenfreude if the PS4 version of Temple of Osiris bombed because of some sort of negative reaction to this Tomb Raider exclusivity deal with Square Enix. However, I think it's more likely that the game will bomb on both systems because it's a rehash of the previous isometric Lara Croft XBLA game at a higher price and designed to accomidate 4 player couch co-op in a system where almost nobody has four controllers.

BTW : Is there anything in gaming that smacks more of greed than an XBLA game that can be purchased with a Season Pass?
Old 12-10-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
I would have a serious case of schadenfreude if the PS4 version of Temple of Osiris bombed because of some sort of negative reaction to this Tomb Raider exclusivity deal with Square Enix. However, I think it's more likely that the game will bomb on both systems because it's a rehash of the previous isometric Lara Croft XBLA game at a higher price and designed to accomidate 4 player couch co-op in a system where almost nobody has four controllers.

BTW : Is there anything in gaming that smacks more of greed than an XBLA game that can be purchased with a Season Pass?
Horse Armor and Kill Animations?
Old 12-10-14, 12:30 PM

Hey, at least when you buy Horse Armor, 1) You're buying DLC for a full game and 2) You know what you're getting.
Old 12-11-14, 04:37 AM

My gripe is that they should be more forthcoming. 'Only on Xbox for the holiday.' 'Timed exclusive.' 'Published by Microsoft' What's going on with this game? Tell me clearly. Tell me early.

I didn't like Bayonetta 2 going Wii U exclusive, but I don't recall them tap-dancing. I was disappointed, but didn't feel as if they were jerking me around.
Old 12-11-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Their only responsibility is to tell their customers about the game. They have zero obligation to tell Sony customers anything. Be mad at Square Enix if you're not getting the answers you want.

Last edited by chuckd21; 12-11-14 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bippitty
My gripe is that they should be more forthcoming. 'Only on Xbox for the holiday.' 'Timed exclusive.' 'Published by Microsoft' What's going on with this game? Tell me clearly. Tell me early.

I didn't like Bayonetta 2 going Wii U exclusive, but I don't recall them tap-dancing. I was disappointed, but didn't feel as if they were jerking me around.
It's clear, I think. If MS is publishing, it has moved from timed exclusive to exclusive exclusive.

But the equivocation has hurt them from a PR perspective. It's announced and is assumed (yes, assumed) to be a multiplat, because nobody says otherwise. Two months later, it's implied that it's a timed exclusive. Three months after that, MS is the publisher, which clearly means that it's exclusive.

I agree that if it had been announced as an exclusive when it was announced at E3 (like your Bayonetta example or SFV), the backlash would have been minimal, but the lack of clarity over an extended time has created a feeding frenzy.

So now we're at a point where TR2 is going head to head with Uncharted 4, and not just for next holiday. It's great for MS and MS fanboys to have an alternative to Uncharted, but I'm not sure how great it will be for TR to be put in that position. I kind of feel for anybody who has to compete with Naughty Dog in that way. I liked the first TR as a spring game.
Old 12-11-14, 09:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chess
So now we're at a point where TR2 is going head to head with Uncharted 4, and not just for next holiday. It's great for MS and the millions of people with just an Xbox One, not both consoles, to have an alternative to Uncharted
fixed.

Based solely on the most recent TR vs the most recent Uncharted (3), I think RotTR's in a better potential position than U4 in terms of gameplay/fun factor.

Sales, though? Not a chance TR outdoes U4.
Old 12-11-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
fixed.
No, I absolutely said what I meant.

It's purely list wars fodder and does absolutely nothing for those millions of people other than giving them a game they were getting anyway. Unless you can demonstrate otherwise...

Based solely on the most recent TR vs the most recent Uncharted (3), I think TR's in a better position in terms of gameplay/fun factor.

Sales, though? Not a chance TR outdoes U4.
I liked TR quite a bit and especially liked that it was "this close" to being an Arkham Asylum style Metroidvania, but given that we're talking about two separate teams at ND, I wouldn't make that assumption.

It's also not insignificant that TR2 will also be on 360 while UC4 looks like technological next gen tour de force.

Agree on sales.
Old 12-11-14, 10:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

No, I absolutely said what I meant.
I know what you meant, but I disagree.

It's purely list wars fodder and does absolutely nothing for those millions of people other than giving them a game they were getting anyway. Unless you can demonstrate otherwise...
Of course I can't demonstrate otherwise, but that wasn't my point. I simply saying that there's millions of XO and PS4 owners who don't care about the list wars, and just want fun games to play. TR2 is going to be a fun game to play on the XO, while U4 will be a fun game to play on the PS4. Those of us who intend to own (or already own) both systems shouldn't really be that worried, since we'll be playing both games anyway.

I liked TR quite a bit and especially liked that it was "this close" to being an Arkham Asylum style Metroidvania, but given that we're talking about two separate teams at ND, I wouldn't make that assumption.
Fair enough. I don't pay any attention to the specific teams that make any given game, except maybe CoD, but only because others make it so incredibly obvious which teams make each iteration of that franchise. So, when I see that U4 is coming out, all I think is "Oh. U2 was a blast, but U3 was a chore to get through, but fun in parts. I hope U4 is better." I'm pretty confident that most console owners are similarly simplistic (not to say everyone thinks U3 is boring, but just that... they likely don't care which team made which iteration. They just know it's a sequel to the previous one.)

It's also not insignificant that TR2 will also be on 360 while UC4 looks like technological next gen tour de force.
Sure. I would imagine, like Forza Horizon 2, the 'team' will be totally focused on the XO version, while they outsource the last-gen version to someone else. I can see why that would give U4 the upper-hand, though, of course.

Agree on sales.
Yeah, I mean... we all know that MS bought exclusivity to have something to compete with U4, but... I really don't think it'll be close UNLESS they can improve the general public's perception of TR. Personally, while I loved that game, I was not at all fond of the majority of the previous iterations... and TR has a bit of a "dated franchise" stigma, whereas Uncharted is still pretty fresh.
Old 12-11-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
Fair enough. I don't pay any attention to the specific teams that make any given game, except maybe CoD, but only because others make it so incredibly obvious which teams make each iteration of that franchise. So, when I see that U4 is coming out, all I think is "Oh. U2 was a blast, but U3 was a chore to get through, but fun in parts. I hope U4 is better." I'm pretty confident that most console owners are similarly simplistic (not to say everyone thinks U3 is boring, but just that... they likely don't care which team made which iteration. They just know it's a sequel to the previous one.
Agree that it's a little bit "inside baseball"

I don't know if the ND teams have names per se, but you basically have the team who made UC1 and UC3, which was previously headed by Amy Hennig, and the team who made UC2 and Last of Us, headed by Druckmann/Straley. Hennig was forced out some time ago and Druckmann/Straley are in charge of UC4. So it's technically the dev team who made UC3 but headed by the guys who made UC2 and Last of Us (both near consensus GOTYs).

I think people view the TR reboot as entirely separate from the old series. Nothing stale about it, and I wish it were coming to PS4. Maybe my next PC, or depending on how cheap XO gets...
Old 12-11-14, 10:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Agree that it's a little bit "inside baseball"

I don't know if the ND teams have names per se, but you basically have the team who made UC1 and UC3, which was previously headed by Amy Hennig, and the team who made UC2 and Last of Us, headed by Druckmann/Straley. Hennig was forced out some time ago and Druckmann/Straley are in charge of UC4. So it's technically the dev team who made UC3 but headed by the guys who made UC2 and Last of Us (both near consensus GOTYs).
I'm not going to lie... while I totally follow what you're saying, my eyes glazed over. But I do appreciate the clarification.

I think people view the TR reboot as entirely separate from the old series. Nothing stale about it
Yeah, it's probably just me who thinks that way. I'm weird. I see "Tomb Raider" and I think, "that's been around forever," whereas when I see "Uncharted" I think, "Hey, this series of games isn't bad, and still has a lot it can do."

It's totally silly, especially because I loved the TR reboot so much, and I KNOW it's no longer a stale franchise, but... y'know... memories.
Old 12-11-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm not going to lie... while I totally follow what you're saying, my eyes glazed over. But I do appreciate the clarification.
Well, if you're not even going to bother to read my posts...

Yeah, it's probably just me who thinks that way. I'm weird. I see "Tomb Raider" and I think, "that's been around forever," whereas when I see "Uncharted" I think, "Hey, this series of games isn't bad, and still has a lot it can do."

It's totally silly, especially because I loved the TR reboot so much, and I KNOW it's no longer a stale franchise, but... y'know... memories.
I get it, but I don't think that being "stale" will be a problem at all. If anything the perception problem for the previous game was that it was sort of "Uncharted Light" instead of being true to the series' history.

I really hope they take the new game in more of an Arkham Asylum direction structurally and add in some actual, you know, tomb raiding.

And don't read too much into the salt about exclusivity. People are just bummed because they won't get the game. I know I am. And yeah, I could buy an XO without risk of AIDS, but not this early and not for one game, which is where I think a lot of people will fall.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.