Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
fumanstu
Heh...fumanstan and discostu had a baby.
Old 08-14-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Whoops.

Not as fun ≠ not fun

And if we're being honest I had more fun with U3 than U2, but U2 is still the better game overall because it was so cinematic. But yeah, (agreeing with stu? ) Both fall short of Tomb Raider in my book.
Old 08-14-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
This already gives MS 2 holiday wins in a row for best games. Halo, Forza and Sunset this year vs nothing and Driveclub. Halo and TR2 vs UC4 next year...with TR2 being similar enough in gameplay to UC4 to satisfy some folks and Halo 5 to destroy the rest. I'm sure UC4 will look a hell of a lot nicer, but will it be fun to play?
Yes that's right - stu has officially awarded the 2015 game of the year award to MS! Based on absolutely nothing -- not even a second of gameplay footage.

Old 08-14-14, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I thought Lara's voice was very good.
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I thought Lara's voice was pretty good
Let's agree to disagree. I thought she ranged from merely serviceable to downright groan inducing. I kept having flashbacks to Halle Berry in Die Another Day.
Old 08-14-14, 11:44 PM

I thought she was great. The professor guy and the big Samoan on the other hand....
Old 08-15-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sigh...

Never said Uncharted was not fun, I clearly stated that I had MORE fun with TR.

I also never said that MS has the goty for 2015. I said they have "won" the holiday lineup already for the next two years. This isn't even really debatable at this point.

Do people even read anymore?

Also, wtf is the stupid picture of numbers supposed to mean Decker? Nobody cares about baseball!
Old 08-15-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Favorite game of 2013. I just finished the Definitive last night and as of right now best game of 2014 as well.

Check the old thread. TR being a single player game means there is no rush to buy it immediately. Haven't read the old thread lately but I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of "I'll try it eventually" posts. That kind of mentality does not equate to system seller to me. As mentioned TR is a solid 'library' game like fumanstu mentioned. Couple it with a Halo and it will push someone over the edge to buy a console. There's nothing wrong with that, I think we need more games like that. Nintendo needs to break out WaveRace, F-zero and Eternal Darkness... all would make great 'library' games.
I never doubted how much you liked the game, but like my reply to chess that really has nothing to do with my initial comment which was specifically about people downplaying the game as a launch purchase. Even though it may not be a day one buy for you, like I said earlier the reboot sold a million copies in 2 days, and given the high praise from both critics and users one would expect the sequel to sell considerably more then that.

And for what it's worth, I've been on the Uncharted 2 > Tomb Raider > Uncharted 1/3 train too.

By the way, from the first page after the initial trailer...

Just talking about TR in the GOTY thread got me jazzed about playing it again. I might be down for the Definitive edition. However, TR2 will be a day 1 purchase.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-15-14 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

TR is a day one purchase for me. I love single player games and have no problem getting them before a price drop. It's the rest of the gaming population that has a problem with it. Pretty sure that's part of the reason TR had multiplayer.
Old 08-15-14, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Last of Us isn't even in my top 10.
Just out of curiosity, why do you work for Sony if you hate their products so much? Play testing games that you despise so much is just going to make you a bitter old man

Wouldn't you be happier trying to get a job at MS? Or at least testing at a game studio that you don't hate so much?
Old 08-15-14, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that you mention it, I almost never buy single player games at launch, and I think I'm more likely to rent them over a weekend going forward.

I still haven't purchased a copy of Last of Us, as an example, but I did buy Infamous, because it was open world, and I should have rented that too.
Old 08-15-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Last of Us isn't in my top 10 of anything, it isn't a bad game, it's just kind of boring

Tomb Raider and Uncharted 2 are two of my favorite games of last gen so I look forward to Uncharted vs TR2 next year.

I disagree with discostu's assessment on Microsoft "winning" the holiday seasons since December 2015 is still a year away and a lot will change, and neither platform has quality games coming this year outside of the multi-plats. But then this is the wrong thread for that any way you dish it.

I find "open world" games to be pretty dull, they fill the lack of creative gameplay with this silly sameness. Getting from point A to B makes a game more realistic, but travelling in real life is boring too. InFamous: SS would have been boring if I had taken the time to play through 1 and 2, as it stands it was a fun little old school beat 'em up -- I liked it best when it ditched Seattle and went for old school arcade gameplay (boss battles) -- though climbing the Space Needle is still the most impressive visual I've seen this gen.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-15-14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Just out of curiosity, why do you work for Sony if you hate their products so much? Play testing games that you despise so much is just going to make you a bitter old man

Wouldn't you be happier trying to get a job at MS? Or at least testing at a game studio that you don't hate so much?
His comment about Last of Us in this thread made me scratch my head. I'm looking forward to getting to play this new Tomb Raider one day.
Old 08-15-14, 09:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

I don't follow. How would they sell less on day one? Sony still has Uncharted for next fall, and TR will be filler on the X1.
I think TR will be treated as much more than filler next year, and may prove to be a leading title (though not necessarily a system-seller all on its own). What I was getting at here was: People who own the PS4 are forced to wait no matter what. For the purposes of this particular title, their wallets don't matter because they literally can't buy it until there's a SKU announced. For this discussion, they don't matter.
People who own the XO and want the game on day one will buy it on day one. Those who are prone to wait for price drops (on either system) will continue to wait.
But people who own both systems now, and are super excited for a new TR, have more uncertainty to deal with. Do they buy the XO version in the first 6-12 months, or do they wait for the GOTY edition on PS4 for the same price? If they know, without a doubt, that they can just wait for the GOTY edition exactly 6 months later, then that's what many will do. Thus, less sales on day one. When that 6 months passes, maybe the "regular" XO edition is $20, but the GOTY is $60. So those who waited for the GOTY might think, "You know... the GOTY will eventually drop, and I've been waiting anyway... why not wait a little longer..." thus less sales on the "relaunch" on PS4 on day 180.
I'm not claiming that this is how everyone thinks, or even a majority or anything like that. But if people know the exact date to expect the port to happen, and they own both systems, then at least a significant percentage will hold off on the chance that the port is better. In this particular case, we can almost guarantee that all tech specs aside, the PS4 version will offer more value because it'll likely be released as a GOTY edition with all the DLC, etc.. If it was barebones, like the launch XO edition, then there's no way they could charge $60.

What do Crystal Dynamics employees do during the 6 month post release window if not work on the PS4 version?
Obviously, they'd likely be working on the PS4 version, but again, if the XO version absolutely tanks, then the money/resources may not be there. Of course, that's a tiny risk for bigger studios, but it's a real risk for smaller outfits like Zojoi; if Shadowgate tanks on PC/Mac/iOS/Android, there's no reason for them to port to consoles or Windows Phone () unless someone throws extra money at them. But the money MS threw at Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics may include a clause that it can't be used for development of the PS4 version of the game. Is Square going to pony up the cash for the port if the XO version doesn't make them any money?

Except there are other factors at play. This fall Crystal Dynamics is trying to sell another TR game to the people they just shunned. Had it been a hard and fast, "this is X1 exclusive" as in your example, they won't be selling many copies of their other game to PS4 users. With them coming out and confirming that it's timed, it softens the blow a bit in the same way dev's use the *wink* *wink* stuff. Speaking for myself, if RotTR was X1 exclusive, that's a non sale for Temple of Osiris this fall. I have no problem speaking with my wallet. At least now ToO is back into potential purchase territory.
Fair enough. I don't think that many people will avoid buying Temple of Osiris strictly because of the deal with RotTR. Why, you ask?

Because Tomb Raider.
That's why.

Playstation users typically account for 3/4ths of TR sales.
Is that how it was for the PS3/360 version? I honestly don't know. Wasn't it given away for free on PS3 one month? Surely, that doesn't count towards "sales." I'm just asking because I'm not confident in that statement above. As for past titles, saying PS users account for the majority kind of makes sense, since Sony bought exclusivity of past titles, as already discussed in this thread. But the PS3/360 TR?

Bombing on the X1 is not an indicator that it will bomb on PS4, it could just be business as usual in this case.
I didn't mean to imply that. But bombing on launch (on any platform, but in this case, exclusively XO) doesn't bode well for the prospect of porting a game to other platforms. Again, SE/CD are a different beast because they're bigger and all that, but what if, in addition to poor sales, the game is also actually terrible, and reviewed terribly? Like, Colonial Marines bad? Do you still think it will get ported to PS4 or will they cut their losses and move on to the next title? As you and I and others all agree, there are MANY factors to all of this. When they decide to go exclusive on a single platform, that brings additional risks, but it also allows them to gauge performance of the title and move forward accordingly.

This is an instance of CD getting their cake(moneyhat from MS to offset potential average xbox sales based on history) and eating it too(still getting all the PS users to buy in).
I don't disagree. Honestly, I'm just throwing ideas out there because I like to talk about this stuff. Putting everything about this particular title aside, I do think, though, that giving an exact timeline for exclusivity to the public is a terrible business strategy. Sure it's probably six months. But what if it's two years? Would owners of the non-exclusive console even care about the game anymore, even if it did do phenomenally well on timed-exclusive one? It seems like most gamers move on pretty quickly.

Anyway, I appreciate the discussion.

*edit: I used "GOTY" a bunch above. Replace that with "Special" or "Definitive" if you like.

Last edited by Dan; 08-15-14 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Xbox One games are beyond reproach, so they don't need testing or quality assurance.
Old 08-15-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

TR is a day one purchase for me. I love single player games and have no problem getting them before a price drop. It's the rest of the gaming population that has a problem with it. Pretty sure that's part of the reason TR had multiplayer.
Sorry, I assumed you were speaking for yourself and not the assumed gaming population. But if you're saying Tomb Raider sold better because of multiplayer, are you assuming Rise won't have multiplayer? I haven't seen anything to indicate that, otherwise I don't see why you keep believing it won't be a day one purchase for people since i've mentioned a few times that Tomb Raider sold decently on launch. Seems contradictory to me.
Old 08-15-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just a hunch. I do believe that improved the brand with TR2013 though, so if everyone that bought that show up, then CD is in a good place. Not everyone bought at launch. Very easy for someone to look at TRotTR and think, "I paid $30 for TR, I'll just wait again." Honestly I doubt the new game will sell any differently.

Thanks for elaborating Dan. I can agree with most of that. However, assuming reviews are good but sales are lackluster on X1 then it changes nothing. PS4 & PC ports will still come. Its cheaper to make a port to recoup some money than forging ahead on a new game.
Old 08-15-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Does anyone know if they're working on Multiplayer? I hope that they looked at the Data on # of players that played MP and drop it for more resources into the SP.
Old 08-15-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Xbox One games are beyond reproach, so they don't need testing or quality assurance.
That's right!

Beta tested in the future bitches!
Old 08-15-14, 04:06 PM

MP was their only source of post-launch revenue. While the gameplay was awful, I have to assume they made some money from people buying DLC skins and maps (plus it was all they had to add to a Definitive Edition, content-wise). I doubt they drop it for that reason -- It's got to be a lot easier to make new maps and skins than new single-player content.
Old 08-15-14, 05:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

hmmm... maybe not so not-exclusive after all? Who freakin' knows anymore...
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/13/x...vity-questions

Phil Spencer:
And we will definitely be spending money on developing the game - I want to make sure that it’s as great as it can be.

I honestly didn’t go out and look at franchises that were on other platforms and say, OK, let’s go cherry-pick some of them. This is a relationship we’ve talked about for a long time.
Old 08-15-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's vote!

Chess and stu, opposites of the spectrum , already said that the exclusivity doesn't last more than six months.

I say it lasts at least one year.

What do you say?
Old 08-15-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Phil Spencer
And we will definitely be spending money on developing the game - I want to make sure that it’s as great as it can be.
This is a first. So Microsoft is footing the bill for Crystal Dynamics to make the PS4 the lead platform? That's some pretty forward thinking.
Old 08-15-14, 08:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure UC4 will look a hell of a lot nicer, but will it be fun to play?
This is what I was responding to with my "not fun" comment. I get that you enjoyed TR more than UC. I did too! But UC is definitely fun, and since I have a PS4 and not an XO, will get my gaming dollars in 2015.

Sigh...

Never said Uncharted was not fun, I clearly stated that I had MORE fun with TR. !
Old 08-15-14, 08:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3
Let's vote!

Chess and stu, opposites of the spectrum , alreadyq said that the exclusivity doesn't last more than six months.

I say it lasts at least one year.

What do you say?
I'm going to be crazy and go with 18 months.
6 months: too short, and likely not worth the $$$ MS threw at SE/CD
12 months: puts PS versions in Holiday 2016. Could do too well and make MS jealous.
18 months: Spring 2017. No one even knows or cares what a tomb or a raider is.
Old 08-15-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If we take Spencer's 'clear as mud' words at face value, MS only has TR for Holiday 2015. So I'll say Jan 1. 2016.

Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.