Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: PS4 Release Thread: Kill Launch App #Driveclub due October 2014!!!

Originally Posted by Brack
Try again.
Does it matter that the games we were talking about were from third parties?
Old 11-19-13, 12:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Does it matter that the games we were talking about were from third parties?
Dead Rising 3 was the game mentioned. Not a third party game.

Even if it was just 3rd party games, none look better or worse on either next gen system. Believing otherwise is nonsense.
Old 11-19-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if it was just 3rd party games, none look better or worse on either next gen system. Believing otherwise is nonsense.
Do try to keep up.

- We, including you, were talking about CoD, AC4 and BF4.
- You said/implied that MS was prioritizing framerate over resolution.
- Adam said/implied that third parties don't care about MS's priorities...and also that DR3 contradicted your theory.
- And then we went down the DR3 rabbit hole.
Old 11-19-13, 12:37 PM

Do try to keep up.

- We, including you, were talking about CoD, AC4 and BF4.
- You said/implied that MS was prioritizing framerate over resolution.
- Adam said/implied that third parties don't care about MS's priorities...and also that DR3 contradicted your theory.
- And then we went down the DR3 rabbit hole.
- Never mentioned AC4. It's well known that CoD and BF4 have frame rate issues by every single review.
- Microsoft is prioritizing frame rate over resolution. But just to prove 1080p is a priority for some, Forza 5 anyone?
- 3rd parties don't care about MS's priorities? I think they do, but even if they didn't, they care about their own priorities. DR3 did not contradict my theory. The frame rate is solid throughout according to many reviews, you just simply discount them. That's your prerogative, but it doesn't make what you state as truth

Last edited by Brack; 11-19-13 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but how in the world is Capcom not a third party developer?
Old 11-19-13, 12:56 PM

For anyone with bricked consoles, how are you handling the return? For the past 2 days I've spoken both to Sony and Amazon and it seems like Sony is going to be the one to get me my console the quickest.

The Amazon CSR on Sunday assured me that they were aware of the problem and would have a new console in my hands in several days. After following up with them yesterday they said they had no record of the call and that the best they could do was either refund, or put my name on a list for when the stock does come in.

Sony yesterday said they were overnighting me a box for my dead ps4, once they receive it they will overnight me a new console.

Just curious how others are faring.
Old 11-19-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

- 3rd parties don't care about MS's priorities? I think they do, but even if they didn't, they care about their own priorities.
I agree. Given a choice between (a) smooth framerate at a lower resolution and (b) consistently choppy framerate at a higher resolution, pretty much anyone, anywhere would choose the former. (Of course, generally smooth framerate at a high resolution with occasional dips are something else. It can be a tradeoff.)

I just don't think a mandate from Microsoft factors into it. The way you originally worded your theory made it sound like it was a platform-level decision, and I don't think that's the case. I can't say you're wrong because it's a theory and none of us are in any position to know for sure, but I think devs are just making decisions that coax the best performances out of their games and that it's not orders from up on high.

The frame rate is solid throughout according to many reviews, you just simply discount them. That's your prerogative, but it doesn't make what you state as truth
To be fair, I'm citing a bunch, and you're citing two. I'm not ignoring what you're citing -- I've written Blu-ray reviews where my experience was different than almost everyone else, and I don't think I'm wrong just for being in the minority! -- but with a very large number (the majority?) of reviews citing noticeable/significant framerate issues, it certainly makes me think there's likely something to it. Not that there definitively is, but that the likelihood is there.

Dead Rising 3 is the launch title I'm looking forward to most across the two new consoles, so I'm not bashing anyone or anything. I hope that my experience more closely matches the people who aren't encountering framerate issues too.

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I'm sure I'm missing something here, but how in the world is Capcom not a third party developer?
I think the distinction made here is that it's published by Microsoft and is an Xbox One exclusive. Maybe the wording could've been different, but that's the idea.
Old 11-19-13, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I agree. Given a choice between (a) smooth framerate at a lower resolution and (b) consistently choppy framerate at a higher resolution, pretty much anyone, anywhere would choose the former. (Of course, generally smooth framerate at a high resolution with occasional dips are something else. It can be a tradeoff.)

I just don't think a mandate from Microsoft factors into it. The way you originally worded your theory made it sound like it was a platform-level decision, and I don't think that's the case. I can't say you're wrong because it's a theory and none of us are in any position to know for sure, but I think devs are just making decisions that coax the best performances out of their games and that it's not orders from up on high.

To be fair, I'm citing a bunch, and you're citing two. I'm not ignoring what you're citing -- I've written Blu-ray reviews where my experience was different than almost everyone else, and I don't think I'm wrong just for being in the minority! -- but with a very large number (the majority?) of reviews citing noticeable/significant framerate issues, it certainly makes me think there's likely something to it. Not that there definitively is, but that the likelihood is there.

Dead Rising 3 is the launch title I'm looking forward to most across the two new consoles, so I'm not bashing anyone or anything. I hope that my experience more closely matches the people who aren't encountering framerate issues too.

I think the distinction made here is that it's published by Microsoft and is an Xbox One exclusive. Maybe the wording could've been different, but that's the idea.
Great points all around. Thanks for responding in a non-douche fashion.

I never said it was a mandate, but based on all reviews so far, frame rate seemed to have been the deciding factor than resolution when it has come to Xbox One. I apologize if I made it sound otherwise.

The reviews of DR3 that I mentioned, even if it's just two, seemed by far to take actual time to review the game, and not just nitpick. Just because a lot of people say yea or nay doesn't mean they're necessarily right. Reviews for a lot of games are all across the board. DR3 is getting fairly positive reviews, and the reviewers I read frequently seem to really know there stuff. I don't care if it's two, or two million. Unless all these reviewers have frame rate monitors, I'm very skeptical of the claims.
Old 11-19-13, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by cleaver
I can't believe anyone gives chess crap for any of his posts, biggest force keeping the thread on topic.
This thread, maybe. Every other thread, not so much. Barely seen give any really criticism of anything PS4 related though, if that says anything.
Old 11-19-13, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by killershark
For anyone with bricked consoles, how are you handling the return? For the past 2 days I've spoken both to Sony and Amazon and it seems like Sony is going to be the one to get me my console the quickest.

The Amazon CSR on Sunday assured me that they were aware of the problem and would have a new console in my hands in several days. After following up with them yesterday they said they had no record of the call and that the best they could do was either refund, or put my name on a list for when the stock does come in.

Sony yesterday said they were overnighting me a box for my dead ps4, once they receive it they will overnight me a new console.

Just curious how others are faring.
Easy: buy an Xbox One.

Just kidding, I sincerely hope PS4 does well. I want both next-gen systems doing well, as it will hopefully continue the console as a viable gaming system.
Old 11-19-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

On Friday, I was briefly booted out of games a couple of times when PSN was inaccessible (although it was just a button press to get back in), and over the weekend, my console locked up (twice!) trying to play a Blu-ray disc.

I just had my first real problem with a PS4 game, though. In the Magnetic Personality level of Lego Marvel Super Heroes -- not even during a part of the game with a ton of stuff going on! -- I got a fatal error message, blue screen of death-style, with an option to report the error to Sony. Hopefully it's not persistent. I'm near the end!

BTW, I've seen a couple people post about the 1080p patch for Assassin's Creep IV being up now.
Old 11-19-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread, maybe. Every other thread, not so much. Barely seen give any really criticism of anything PS4 related though, if that says anything.
Nonsense.

I've given multiple and consistent criticism of PS4's initial quality assurance, network, UI, light bar and I've always been skeptical of Knack.

Just this morning:

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed in Sony's quality control.
I did find that on one of my two DS4s, the rubber seemed to be drier and was actually gripping my thumb with enough friction to irritate it.
Frame dips were reported in some reviews, mostly in the single player...

...many are having connection issues on PS4.
I wonder if you even believe the shit you type or if you're just looking for attention.
Old 11-19-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The one thing I haven't tried on the PS4 yet is the streaming. Has anyone noticed any discernible difference between using Twitch or uStream?
Old 11-19-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I just had my first real problem with a PS4 game, though. In the Magnetic Personality level of Lego Marvel Super Heroes -- not even during a part of the game with a ton of stuff going on! -- I got a fatal error message, blue screen of death-style, with an option to report the error to Sony. Hopefully it's not persistent. I'm near the end!
I got something kind of like that my first night. In my case, I was just backing out of Resogun, and the PS4 restarted. I got the same message and reported what I was doing to Sony.

FWIW, I've played about 20 hours since without incident...all of Contrast, 11-12 hours of Warframe, a little Blacklight, and at least a few hours of Resogun.

Buggy UI is buggy, and we are all beta testers...unfortunately.
Old 11-19-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

New word from Sony about the failures -

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/19/s...arying-causes/

There have been several issues reported, which leads us to believe there isn't a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of PS4 units. We also understand that some units were reportedly damaged during shipping. The number of affected PS4 systems is less than 1%, which represents a very small percentage of total units shipped to date and is within the expected range for a new product introduction. We understand the frustration of consumers that have had a problem and are working with them and our retail partners to help troubleshoot issues and ensure affected units are exchanged.
Old 11-19-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I can believe issues being caused by packaging. It was by far the worst packaged product I've ever bought from Amazon. And there's no styrofoam in the box to help with shock absorption.
Old 11-19-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not buying less than 1%. I'd bet on at least double that.

But even then, if you have a 98% chance of getting a working console vs waiting and maybe getting to 99%.
Old 11-19-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Popcorn.

That was "interesting".
Old 11-19-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't think that anyone with a PS4 is 100% satisfied with it yet. I really enjoy having it and can see it has a bright future but I also see some of things that are wrong with it.
Old 11-19-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I don't think that anyone with a PS4 is 100% satisfied with it yet. I really enjoy having it and can see it has a bright future but I also see some of things that are wrong with it.
I've been lucky enough with mine, and like you, I see a very bright future.

But I'm not at all satisfied with the experiences a few others are having.
Old 11-19-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I can believe issues being caused by packaging. It was by far the worst packaged product I've ever bought from Amazon. And there's no styrofoam in the box to help with shock absorption.
My first one was packaged fine. Plenty of airbags inside, box was in great shape, etc. That one was DOA.

My replacement had a partially squashed exterior box, flattened airbags and overall looked pretty rough. That one worked fine.
Old 11-19-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
My first one was packaged fine. Plenty of airbags inside, box was in great shape, etc. That one was DOA.

My replacement had a partially squashed exterior box, flattened airbags and overall looked pretty rough. That one worked fine.
Mine was a mess. Very few airbags in the box and it looked like someone had been sitting on it. No issues so far though...
Old 11-19-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
The one thing I haven't tried on the PS4 yet is the streaming. Has anyone noticed any discernible difference between using Twitch or uStream?
I tried Twitch the other night. It ran flawless on my end. I had two friends checking it out online. One said it was flawless on his end, the other said it was stuttering. Both said there's about a 5 second delay between them typing a message and it showing up on my end.
Old 11-19-13, 02:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mod note: I just removed an off-topic discussion that got unnecessarily personal. Let's not bring it up again.
Old 11-19-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So what is the trick to Resogun? I played it a bit last night, but kept losing humans.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.