Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: PS4 Release Thread: Kill Launch App #Driveclub due October 2014!!!

Nice, thanks TheKing! Do the 7 day trials stack as well?
Old 11-17-13, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am loving the PS4 so far. Thankfully I haven't been plagued by any of the issues that seem to be going around (which I think are probably overblown due to the proliferation of social media/comments sections, paranoia of another rrod/ylod situation, and ridiculous console war fear mongering). My only issue was that my download of DC Universe stalled halfway through. As with every launch, the selection of games is underwhelming, but that said I'm having a great time with Lego Marvel, NBA 2K14, and Resogun (even though I seem to suck pretty badly). Contemplating exchanging my second controller for either a camera (i think my daughter would get plenty of mileage out of The Playroom - she's 2 so she doesnt get tired of anything) or FIFA.
Old 11-17-13, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Nice, thanks TheKing! Do the 7 day trials stack as well?
What 7 day trials?
Old 11-17-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheKing
What 7 day trials?
They come inside some games. I'll give them a try later.
Old 11-17-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Lots of people got the PS4 on Thursday, just look back in the pre-release thread.

I think its clear that these guys end up making enough money to cover their losses, and perhaps turn a profit. That to me is the saddest part of the whole thing. Well, that and the people that could be enjoying those systems if those morons hadn't ruined them.
I watched those videos last night while waiting for Pearl Jam to go onstage. It just reminded me of how the internet has given a platform for these idiotic kids to do things that most of us would have never thought about doing.
Old 11-17-13, 08:43 AM

My PS4 was bricked as of last night. Same issue that's going around. The unit would turn itself off, then restart in safemode checking the harddrive. it would restart and be fine for 30 minutes or so then blue light of death. Spoke to Sony rep they want me to send it in. Bought it from Amazon, going to try them next.
Old 11-17-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

After first trying a bit of Warframe and being addicted to Resogun I finally got to Killzone...the one game that's caught my attention from the get go and did play a part of me going the PS4 route instead of continuing with the Xbox..

I'm not sure what the exact points of negative being with the game and granted I only played the first level but for me it was pretty solid play. It wasn't a cake walk either. I love "The Owl" as he can go on offense or provide the Bubble Shield. The Zipline feature is like a Batman gadget and cool to. inste of being totally alone in solo you have OWL to keep you company while providing some good support.

Graphic and visual...have never seen a more stunning and more detailed game ever! I think a poster earlier said he wanted to just walk around and take in the sights...well I probably looked around more than did fighting. The first level is the demo level everyone has seen...the one with the fall foliage. With "Old Gen" leaves were one color but you see individual leaves with three colors and veins in them like actual leaves...that's detail. All materials...metal, concrete, plastics, cloth...actually has depth as when you move so does any reflection and shadows I stopped at the second mission...the one in space with everything floating around with the large light at the top of the stairs...WOW!

I would like to do more with Warframe and give it go with some here. Want to try the "Ear-Bud" for one thing...none of my others have the same pin so it's it for now.
Old 11-17-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by killershark
My PS4 was bricked as of last night. Same issue that's going around. The unit would turn itself off, then restart in safemode checking the harddrive. it would restart and be fine for 30 minutes or so then blue light of death. Spoke to Sony rep they want me to send it in. Bought it from Amazon, going to try them next.
Did it brick straight out of the box or after a few hours of play?
Old 11-17-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Got my PS4 and have used it for about 6 hours. Biggest challenge was getting PSN up and running as I had not used my PS3 in years and no longer had access to the online account. An hour on hold with Sony fixed it.

Only game I bought was Assassin's Creed IV which I am absolutely atrocious at.
Old 11-17-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by killershark
From some of the boards I've read like this...

http://community.us.playstation.com/...ort/bd-p/22090

...it sounds like a heat issue. I cannot find the thread but I swear someone figured out it was the fan not turning or something like that. I'll look around and see if I find anything

For those with USB headsets is that the only connection to be made? The Rocketfish headset I have can be used for the 360, PS3 and PC. There is the USB connection but there is also a "Green" one for "In-Line Control" going to either the TV or using a RCA Piggyback. However for the PC it's just the USB that needs connected...so that's all I need to do right...just the USB on the front port. Just need someone to help me test it.
Old 11-17-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony got back to me about their store charging me for Contrast even when my checkout total came to 0.00 because I'm a PS+ member. Their e-mail said:

We have reviewed your case and as a one time gesture of goodwill we have approved your refund in the amount of $14.99.

I'd love to know why they picked that wording since I am clearly a PS+ member and it's not like I bought Contrast and then later had it go free for members at which point I tried to cheat them out of 14.99. I'm extremely fucking aggravated at their response. I am still having issues I need their help to sort out and it will be hard for me to keep my cool with them.
Old 11-17-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kurupt
I am loving the PS4 so far. Thankfully I haven't been plagued by any of the issues that seem to be going around (which I think are probably overblown due to the proliferation of social media/comments sections, paranoia of another rrod/ylod situation, and ridiculous console war fear mongering).
It's reasonable to think that the failure rate with launch units will be higher than 3-4 months from now, and hopefully whatever stability issues in the software will be corrected as well.

I haven't had any real problems, and it might just be paranoia, but I feel like my PS3 slim is much better built despite their obvious similarities. I'm probably 10-12 hours in, and it seems to run a little warm, and I get a nice solid "click" from the power supply (I assume) when it turns on and off. I also think the rubber issue on the controller sticks is legitimate.

Originally Posted by kurupt
As with every launch, the selection of games is underwhelming, but that said I'm having a great time with Lego Marvel, NBA 2K14, and Resogun (even though I seem to suck pretty badly).
I actually feel pretty good about the launch lineup, particularly from third parties. BF4, Killzone and NBA2K all show off the hardware and all rated in the 75-90 range, Assassin's Creed and Need For Speed are reviewing well, and if you have little ones, there are a few options there as well. I'd also add Resogun, Warframe, and Flower if you've never played it.

For those that tried your PS+ 30-day trial code and got an error message, try again. I just put in my code and got the 30 days added to my account. I'm good til July now!

On the bad side, while my PS4 games finally shipped today, they shipped out of Tennessee. UGH. I'm not scheduled to receive them until next Saturday. Double UGH.
Thanks for the info on the code! That's another $4 saved.

My disks aren't coming until Friday, so I'm in the same boat, but I'm looking on the bright side that it's forcing me to check out all of the downloadable freebies while I wait. If I had those disks, I might not have played through Contrast or even given Resogun the time it deserves.

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I would like to do more with Warframe and give it go with some here. Want to try the "Ear-Bud" for one thing...none of my others have the same pin so it's it for now.
Despite the earbud looking super cheap and cheesy, I've played with a few people who were using it, and it actually sounds pretty great. So I used it for a bit myself last night after removing the clip, and it's super comfortable. suddenly the light weight and thin wire, the things that make it look cheesy, are the things that I find most appealing. You don't even notice it's there.

My Blackberry headset works, but everyone should be advised that chat is mono (only plays in one ear) even when you have a stereo headset. Game sounds come through both ears if you have sound coming through the controller, but chat is still limited to the one ear.
Old 11-17-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New Driveclub video looks kind of ridiculous. Glad they're giving that game more time.

https://www.facebook.com/driveclubof...46192578798440
Old 11-17-13, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Did it brick straight out of the box or after a few hours of play?
It worked fine up until about 5 on Saturday. That's when I started getting the blue light. Amazon seems to be aware there is an issue and told me that I would have a new unit in several days. Whether that's a week or a month, who knows, but I'd rather deal with amazon than sony.
Old 11-17-13, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are any of you playing BF4 and having issues with conquest? I can never get on, it always tells me that I have no internet connection.

Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; 11-17-13 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-17-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
New Driveclub video looks kind of ridiculous. Glad they're giving that game more time.

https://www.facebook.com/driveclubof...46192578798440
That was short and cool...but after play Killzone last night the amount of detail we're seeing in any of the games has taken back everyone despite all the trailers we've looked at. Seeing them on a large screen makes a lot of difference.

If anything I cannot wait to pop in BF4 when it gets here and cannot wait to see Second Son. Also just what little we've seen on The Order:1886...that will be a really fine looking game.

thanks for the input on the Ear-Bud Chess...still might give my Rocketfish USB a shot and if it doesn't pan out then the Ear-Bud it is.
Old 11-17-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only played like an hour of BF4 (damn you Warframe!) but in that time, I think I had about 3 or 4 "oh shit" moments. Epic levels of destruction.
Old 11-17-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I just had my first nasty hiccup with the PS4.

I put in the second disc in Shout Factory's Vincent Price Blu-ray collection. I got the little loading screen specific to the disc, I even saw the copyright warning, and then...nothing.

Nothing was output on the screen anymore. The light on the PS4 remained white. The light on the DualShock 4 turned off. Whenever I tried to resync the controller, the light just blinked, as if the console wasn't accessible. The buttons on the face of the console didn't do anything...couldn't even eject the disc. The only thing I could do was physically unplug the PS4.

I thought that was maybe a weird one-off thing, so I waited for the console to boot back in safe mode and do all the diagnostic stuff, then I tried it again. Nope. Same deal.

I watched We're the Millers on the PS4 yesterday without any problems, but a complete lockup when doing something mundane like watching a Blu-ray disc -- especially the second time I ever try watching a BD! -- makes me pretty uneasy.
Old 11-17-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

yeah, this doesn't seem like "isolated" incidents anymore. Seems like 50% of the people here on the forum who have purchased one have had at least one problem.
Old 11-17-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
Would anyone like my PS+ 30 day free code? I'll email the code to the first person who asks for it. Also, are any of you playing BF4 and having issues with conquest? I can never get on, it always tells me that I have no internet connection.
Email sent!
Old 11-17-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
yeah, this doesn't seem like "isolated" incidents anymore. Seems like 50% of the people here on the forum who have purchased one have had at least one problem.
Have you had any problems with your PS4 so far?
Old 11-17-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Have you had any problems with your PS4 so far?
i'm sure the guy who got mine after i cancelled my preorder did!
Old 11-17-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW, I've had no issues with my PS4, except for a lockup the first time it went to patch Warframe, but nearly everyone has that issue.
Old 11-17-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
i'm sure the guy who got mine after i cancelled my preorder did!
So, you're basically in this thread just to bash the PS4? I figured as much.
Old 11-17-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

So, you're basically in this thread just to bash the PS4? I figured as much.
Nope. I've already gone on record and said I will buy one once Uncharted comes out. I just find it slightly amusing that people are saying these issues are "isolated" incidents when we have numerous people here who are already having to send their machine back. We are such a small representation of the ones that have already shipped, so it seems like the issues are more widespread than we are being led to believe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.