Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Disney Infinity - Disney's Infinite Moneymaker

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Disney Infinity - Questions

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I'm not a huge "design your own level" kinda guy, but hopefully it's easy enough that others can make some great levels. Wait, these are shareable like LBP, right?
Yup. It will be shareable like LBP.
Old 08-19-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, my daughter and I played the Monsters Inc. level for about 6 hours yesterday and we are still not finished with it.
Old 08-19-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
For $75, or more if you want to play coop, it just seems a bit expensive for what you *really* get.
or you can look at it as most games carry a $59.99 MSRP
this is $74.99 before discounting ... you can easily save 20% with a coupon from TRU which puts it at the same price as almost all games released and this comes not only with the game but 3 figures, starter disc pack, and a base station peripheral .... if you preordered you likely also received your choice of additional figure for free

when you think about it that way it really isn't overpriced
how much you add on will depend on where you take the price (most can be had at a nice roll out discount now and I assume will be discounted for the holidays, etc)

Last edited by musick; 08-19-13 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-19-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the distinct impression the reviewer is a Disney "fan boy" and would like the game no matter what. I came away from the review with a reinforcement of why we will not be making this purchase. For $75, or more if you want to play coop, it just seems a bit expensive for what you *really* get.

It'll be interesting to see the thoughts of those of you who purchased this after you've played a few rounds. I'd be interested in comparisons to Skylanders as that review didn't mention that franchise at all.

Well the majority of the reviews have been fairly positive with those known issues as being common negative points. I think its unfair to categorize the reviewer as a disney fanboy just because you disagree with his review. This isn't some low rent blog, this is IGN. I would like to think that their reviewers are above being studio fanboys but who knows in the end.

Also the other reviews I haven't really compared this to Skylanders as much, as they are pretty different games. They compare skylanders as a action adventure (like diablo), while Disney's strength is more like Garry's Mods for adults (Toy Box) with a good story mode.
Old 08-19-13, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Well, my daughter and I played the Monsters Inc. level for about 6 hours yesterday and we are still not finished with it.
My gf and I did the same thing on Sunday, had a lot of fun doing the MU missions and especially hunting for all the capsules and banners hidden around the buildings. Reminded me a lot of the old Tony Hawk games where you would see a collectible floating in the air and you would have to figure out how to get up there to get it.
Old 08-19-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by musick
this is $74.99 before discounting ... you can easily save 20% with a coupon from TRU which puts it at the same price as almost all games released and this comes not only with the game but 3 figures and a base station peripheral
.... if you preordered you likely also received your choice of additional figure for free

when you think about it that way it really isn't overpriced
how much you add on will depend on where you take the price (most can be had at a nice roll out discount now and I assume will be discounted for the holidays, etc)
Not only that but also you can get additional 12-16 hours of story game play by picking up the 2 additional playsets for 30.00$ combined.
Old 08-19-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*EDIT*
I just read in a pre-review that the original Wii version of the game is the only one that does not support local cooperative play in adventure mode. (Was that mentioned earlier and I just missed it? I thought I read no online coop mode which I can live without)

That kind of makes it a epic fail for those of us who are Wii only homes...
We got it yesterday (for Wii) ... I haven't set it up yet for the kid yet (probably tonight) but yes I keep finding out about more and more Wii limitations (not well publicized before launch)

I can't stand the Wii but since as I mentioned earlier I plan to sell my PS3 toward the purchase of a PS4 it didn't make sense to purchase the game for my kid for the PS3 with the chance she would only be able to play for 2 months if rumors are correct about an end of Oct release for the PS4 (and if I sold the PS3 by then)

The Wii still has a huge user base (one that would seem to be ideal for this franchise) but system limitations prevent it from the ability to be as feature rich as the other consoles
Old 08-19-13, 03:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Not only that but also you can get additional 12-16 hours of story game play by picking up the 2 additional playsets for 30.00$ combined.
Where are you seeing that price point? The MSRP for those packs is $34.99, and the cheapest I've seen is at Target this week for 50% off.
Old 08-19-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Yeah, they're $17.50 each at Target, which is a good price, but makes it $35 + tax for the two sets. Has anyone confirmed the amount of content in these two sets is similar to the three area in the main game?

Originally Posted by sikegrad
You can easily find the rare coins by scratching the outside of packs. The rare coins have that lenticular effect so the surface is rough. The normal coins are smooth and dont feel/sound the same when scratching the outside of the pack.
Sure enough, I went to Target and easily found a couple of "rare" sets (I assume, at least) by scratching for that lenticular feel. I could have grabbed a few, but didn't know if I wanted any really. I settled on one unopened so if we go this route for Xmas, my boy will get something "Special" with the set.
Old 08-19-13, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by musick
this is $74.99 before discounting ... you can easily save 20% with a coupon from TRU which puts it at the same price as almost all games released and this comes not only with the game but 3 figures, starter disc pack, and a base station peripheral .... if you preordered you likely also received your choice of additional figure for free
Also, if you know someone else to split the deal, the 20% off coupon stacks with the "Buy 1 Get 1 at 50% off" promotion at TRU. I purchased online for in store pickup. I got my PS3 starter pack for $59.99 and and additional Xbox 360 starter pack for someone else for $37.49. I didn't think it was a bad deal at all, especially for launch day.
Old 08-19-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Well the majority of the reviews have been fairly positive with those known issues as being common negative points.
I've read most of the reviews and currently there are only a couple of negative ones out there. So far the negative ones feel more genuine than do the positive ones. They dissect the game a bit and point out *why* the cons are truly cons rather than a simple statement of "you can't do..."

Digital Spy sums up theirs with:
However, if the idea of the Toy Box doesn't sound appealing, Disney Infinity offers little.

Though they are well-designed and crafted, the figures themselves don't feel essential to the actual gameplay, certainly not in the same way the Skylanders toys are.

Add to that dull core mechanics and some clumsily-designed campaigns and you have a largely forgettable game that, Toy Box mode aside, doesn't do the esteemed Disney name justice.
I think its unfair to categorize the reviewer as a disney fanboy just because you disagree with his review. This isn't some low rent blog, this is IGN. I would like to think that their reviewers are above being studio fanboys but who knows in the end.
I got the "fanboy" part from this line in the review (plus how he constantly gushed while simultaneously mentioning the negatives):
The toys have their own unique style that sparked desire in my inner Disney fan.
Yes, it might be a tad unfair to peg the reviewer that way as I generally think you can trust a review on IGN. But still that bias appears to exist so I have to give it some credence.

I really want to like this game but being a Wii only household, and all the negatives on Wii for Infinity, I'm pretty sure we'll just sit it out and wait for Swap Force (but it's being designed by a different company for Wii this time out so...)
Old 08-19-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

weird. i couldn't get the 20% off and bogo 50% to work online at TRU for in store pickup. wish i would've. would've been nice to get a bit more of a discount to the individual characters that i got.
Old 08-19-13, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
weird. i couldn't get the 20% off and bogo 50% to work online at TRU for in store pickup. wish i would've. would've been nice to get a bit more of a discount to the individual characters that i got.
That is weird. I had some other stuff in my cart. I think it was an odd number of items, so there may have been something about the combination that allowed it to work. I don't think I tried it with just the two starter packs.
Old 08-19-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Where are you seeing that price point? The MSRP for those packs is $34.99, and the cheapest I've seen is at Target this week for 50% off.
My mistake I mixed up the Wal-mart figures pack for the Target playsets which were at 17$
Old 08-19-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I need to hit up TRU again to try to get some of the rare discs. That scratch test definitely works. Tried it on the 2 I got from TRU yesterday. The TRU exclusive one definitely had the ridges of the lenticular one.
Old 08-19-13, 04:26 PM

I figured I'll find the Starter Kit cheaper than $60 later, and am in no rush to get this game anyway (and it's not like the base game will be rare or scarce). I did (for now at least) pick up Cars, Lone Ranger and Villains pack at 50% off (to go along with my Sidekicks pack $12.99 misprice from Best Buy. Once the game drops cheap (and looking at the inventory left at Target, that seems pretty likely in the foreseeable future), I'll have quite a set for him, though not nearly complete by any means (and $13 for the base figures is pretty insane actually).
Old 08-19-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

glad to see i wasn't the only one who grabbed the sidekick misprice from BB. I thought for sure they would've canceled the order, but the didn't.
Old 08-19-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Once the game drops cheap (and looking at the inventory left at Target, that seems pretty likely in the foreseeable future)
This definitely seems like something that Amazon (and probably oodles of other places) will have at a steep discount on Black Friday.
Old 08-19-13, 04:36 PM

glad to see i wasn't the only one who grabbed the sidekick misprice from BB. I thought for sure they would've canceled the order, but the didn't.
I thought it would actually save me more than $2 upon release when I placed the order, but whatever.
Old 08-19-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know is everything interchangeable between different consoles? I assume the characters, discs and playsets are. Is the infinity base interchangeable? Can I plug my PS3 base into the 360 or WiiU (assuming I have a copy of the game for 360 and WiiU) and have it work? Is it just a standard USB connection?

thanks.
Old 08-19-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
Does anyone know is everything interchangeable between different consoles? I assume the characters, discs and playsets are. Is the infinity base interchangeable? Can I plug my PS3 base into the 360 or WiiU (assuming I have a copy of the game for 360 and WiiU) and have it work? Is it just a standard USB connection?

thanks.
I had this question earlier .... I can't imagine they would do different bases for different consoles since they all use a standard USB connection ..... my guess is all the infinity bases are the same but I don't know if it has ever been confirmed
Old 08-19-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker
I thought it would actually save me more than $2 upon release when I placed the order, but whatever.
yeah, but i would've had to gone into a Wal-Mart for that. avoiding that place, alone, is worth like $100 to me.
Old 08-19-13, 04:55 PM

Well, I got Target to PM Walmart for the Villains set today, but point taken.
Old 08-19-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Took the kiddos by Target to check out the display unit and figs. They like Skylanders and have most of the figs but they haven't played in months. Anyway, they thought Infinity looked pretty cool, but weren't wowed by it. There were no "can we get it! can we get it!"

So, bullet dodged.
Old 08-19-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, there is some sort of problem with the PS3 version and after firing it up today to continue on our 6 hours plus of work we were greeted with a data has been corrupted and needs to be deleted. This shit will not fly and they better fix it quick. I like how it is always the PS3 users that get screwed on shit like this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.