Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Need For Speed Rivals (360, PS3, PC, PS4, XOne)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently renamed developer Ghost Games and the fellow racing fanatics at Criterion Games have banded together for Need for Speed Rivals: a new game that represents the franchise's first drift into the next-gen console world (which is not to be confused with the 2005 handheld spinoff).

Powered by Frostbite 3, Rivals aims to utilize the power of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to give players "the freedom to seamlessly go from single player to co-op to multiplayer" when it releases "later this year." [Update: This story has been updated for accuracy, removing mention of a release window for the next-gen versions from an outdated release draft.]

Need for Speed Rivals transports players to the fictitious Redview County, an open-world environment where players can take on the role as either street racer or police officer. Like Most Wanted before it, racers aim to become the most infamous person behind the wheel, while cops attempt to work together to drive the area's high-risk inhabitants off the road. Players can personalize the experience with custom license plates, paint, liveries decals and rims, and performance upgrades.

Current-generation consoles will also join the rivalry – powered by its own version of Frostbite 3 – on November 19. A PC version is also in the works.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/23/ne...this-november/
Old 05-23-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Need For Speed Rivals (360, PS3, PC, PS4, XOne)

Sounds exactly like the last offering. Most Wanted was, IMO, the best game of the franchise --- ironically it was the first offering of this current gen too.
Old 05-23-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yeah. Not excited and I eat these games up. Just sounds like Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit.
Old 09-12-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BxpGGrHsDnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-12-13, 02:01 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I want Criterion to make a "Burnout Revenge 2" for the PS4/XB1
Old 09-12-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Looks like Forza but, y'know, fun.
Old 09-12-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I want Criterion to make a "Burnout Revenge 2" for the PS4/XB1
Me too
Old 09-13-13, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Me too
i would definitely buy that.
Old 10-18-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PS4's Need for Speed Rivals more visually impressive than PC version
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/18/48...lldrive-pc-ps4

Played on the PlayStation 4, Need for Speed Rivals is a more visually impressive, though currently slightly more buggy, version of Electronic Arts' upcoming racer than the Windows PC version.

We spent the first part of our session playing the PC version of Rivals, which ran well, with a PlayStation 4 controller. Later, we switched to the PS4 version and were surprised to find a game that looked even more impressive than its PC counterpart, with better texture detail, improved lighting on cars and sharper graphics overall. The PS4 version did suffer from a higher incidence of issues such as parts of the world failing to load, but developer Ghost Games assured us they would have those problems ironed out in time for launch.

Developer Ghost Games' key point at its most recent press event, though, was that you don't have to play the game with other people online. The developers just really want you to.

Ghost is attempting to deliver a new kind of racing game, one that dissolves the line between single-player and multiplayer gaming. The world of Rivals still contains the standard Need for Speed campaign, although it's split up into two roles, racer and cop. But as you're driving around Rivals' fictional, California-inspired setting of Redview County, other players can seamlessly appear in your game and play with you — or against you.

The developers at Ghost Games believe that this system, which they call AllDrive, will make for a better Need for Speed title — if players just give it a shot.

"First and foremost, this game is made to be able to [be] played alone — the AI's really capable, [and the game has] scaling systems," said Marcus Nilsson, executive producer on Rivals, in an interview with Polygon following a recent hands-on demo of the game. "There's a lot of people, Need for Speed consumers, that want to play alone, and there's a very capable game to play alone out there that they can do."

Nilsson noted that he previously worked on Battlefield titles at EA DICE, and acknowledged that his vision of online games might be colored by that experience. But that is indeed Nilsson's vision, and he pointed out that Rivals' interface — which doesn't require users to choose a separate "multiplayer" option from a menu — encourages players to try out AllDrive rather than dismiss it out of hand. (Rivals does offer the option to turn off AllDrive for an entirely solo experience, or limit the pool of users to people on your friends list.)

"I do think that this game becomes a lot more fun when you do play with friends," said Nilsson. "It's an easier proposition to give it a chance in this game than it was in, for instance, [Need for Speed] Most Wanted, where you had to press the multiplayer button." And the only limit to AllDrive is players' imaginations, according to Nilsson. Ghost expects users to collaborate and compete in ways the studio hasn't even considered, but one example Nilsson gave was the way in which AllDrive facilitates play between people who are at different levels in the game.

Rivals features a gradual progression upward for both racers and cops, with players unlocking new cars and abilities as they earn speed points and rank up through 20 levels. If you're a level 5 racer, and you're having trouble with a race that you need to complete in order to jump to level 6, you can call in some assistance from a friend who's a level 15 cop, having her impede your competition so you can zoom to a first-place finish. Of course, there's also the potential for griefing, but as Nilsson sees it, that's part of what makes Rivals so unique and enjoyable.

"It is really a lot more fun because of the, kind of, controlled chaos and the unexpected [gameplay] that AllDrive brings. When you mix people together [...] you can take educated choices that make my game experience more interesting. So I think the human element is really giving you a lot more flavor in the experience," Nilsson explained.

"What we start seeing is people yelling out about having fun, and screaming out [while] playing at the office," he added, noting that that's something that rarely, if ever, happened during the development of Shift 2 Unleashed and Need for Speed Most Wanted. "We made a game, made a really high-quality game, but we didn't have that unexpected fun that AllDrive's bringing."

We checked out the cop's side of the career mode, taking on events like timed sprints from point to point and exercises in which we had to take down some racers. In addition to the human players that AllDrive brings in, you'll see plenty of activity in Redview County from computer-controlled cars. While we were driving casually through the world, a cop and a racer locked in a high-speed chase flew past us at an intersection. It's those kinds of spontaneous interactions that bring the world of Rivals to life, and that was even before another player joined us.

The two of us met at the starting point for an event, then sped off to bust some racers. We were doing fine in co-op by ourselves, and then Rivals developers in the room provided some assistance from the game's mobile app through a mode called Overwatch. They were connected to our game, and dropped in a shock wave that we were able to unleash on an unsuspecting racer. (The app stopped working at this point, so we didn't get the chance to try it out ourselves.)

We enjoyed our time with Rivals, and as a launch title for both next-generation consoles, the game will likely be a great showcase for the power of the new systems. AllDrive is something that will be impossible to judge until after Rivals is released, but the seamless integration that we saw during our limited demo could provide a great new way to progress faster through your solo career while playing with your friends.
Old 10-18-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I kind of expect racing games to be less popular on PC and less time and effort spent on optimizing them on PC.
Old 10-29-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Did this get delayed too?

I received an E-mail from BestBuy on both preorders (PS4 & One) that the release date is now 12/31...
Old 10-29-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon has those two dates now as well.

Old 10-29-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IGN says otherwise, but it's weird that two retailers changed their dates to placeholders.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...is-not-delayed
Old 11-04-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay so THIS week, the release schedule for this game is now:

PS4 - November 15th
PS3/360 - November 19th
Xbox One - November 22nd

So if you need a 3rd title for the Target B2G1 sale next week, Rivals now qualifies on PS4.
Old 11-04-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice, I think that's the only game I'm picking up for the PS4 at launch.
Old 11-04-13, 12:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

After playing Forza 5, I think I'm going to get NFS instead as it's much more to my liking. That is, unless reviews for it are terrible. But if it's even remotely like the last NFS game or the Burnout games, then I'm in.
Old 11-05-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Need for Speed Now an EA Sports Game
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/506...peed-ea-sports

Long article, doesn't say much. Not really comfortable thinking of Need For Speed as an EA Sports game.
Old 11-05-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it in the game?
Old 11-05-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess. Cops must have EMP bombs in their cars now.
Old 11-05-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This game looks like it could potentially be a lot of fun with the team based multiplayer, but I'm not all that impressed with the looks of it. To my eye, it doesn't really look any better than Most Wanted did on current gen.

I'm torn, because I need a third game for the Target B2G1. It's either this or NBA 2K14.
Old 11-05-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chess
This game looks like it could potentially be a lot of fun with the team based multiplayer, but I'm not all that impressed with the looks of it. To my eye, it doesn't really look any better than Most Wanted did on current gen.

I'm torn, because I need a third game for the Target B2G1. It's either this or NBA 2K14.
I am sure you know that you don't have to buy three games. Just return the one you don't want for $40 and you get 2 for $80.
Old 11-05-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
I am sure you know that you don't have to buy three games. Just return the one you don't want for $40 and you get 2 for $80.
I think Chess actually wants to buy 3 games that he will keep.
Old 11-05-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I'm not judging folks for doing that, and hell, I may end up doing it myself, but I'd prefer to find three games to keep if I can. Plus my birthday is this week, so I feel kind of obligated to buy gifts for myself with money I've been sent...if that makes sense.
Old 11-05-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Happy B-day!
Old 11-06-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Yeah. I'm not judging folks for doing that, and hell, I may end up doing it myself, but I'd prefer to find three games to keep if I can. Plus my birthday is this week, so I feel kind of obligated to buy gifts for myself with money I've been sent...if that makes sense.
Don't know that there is anything to judge, other than maybe the spirit of the deal as Decker mentioned previously. Says right there on your receipt what the refund value of each individual game is. If Target cared that much I am sure they would require a return of all three games.

In fact, I suspect they are losing a few bucks on each $60 game. I know they are paying more than $40 per game, but perhaps they are getting a subsidy from the game companies. Plus I am sure not everybody buys 3 $60 games and winds up with a $30 o $20 game for the freebie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.