Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Next Gen: Are you in or out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Next Gen: Are you in or out?

Not planning on trading in any current gen sysytems andI will probably roll with the PS4 within the first 6 months. I have a huge backlog of games on the current gen that I need to get to and GTAV is still on the horizon. I liked what Sony presented so far and while I like what XO is trying to do it is just not for me.
Old 05-23-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,175 Likes on 848 Posts

I'm in but I'll be buying one or the other to start. I'll keep my PS3 for a while and move it into the bedroom to play through the rest of the current gen games which will be coming out. I'm leaning towards PS4 currently but it's too early to tell.
Old 05-23-13, 08:33 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
who the hell would be out if you still play videogames?t
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Based on what I've seen so far, my enthusiasm is totally gone. I need to hear more details. I might even wait until after release date. I'll probably check out the reviews and see how things go for the first couple months.
Strangely enough, both these responses apply to my current level of interest. I may hold out longer than I was expecting to catch up on current gen games, but eventually I'll have to cave.

I DO think it's pretty sad that it's gotten to the point where picking a Next Gen system has become about picking the lesser of two evils. New system announcements used to be the stuff of dreams, seeing all the great new enhancements that you never believed possible on the current system. You'd see that sucker and you HAD to own one, and you wanted it NOW. I remember seeing the Genesis profiled in EGM back in the day, or seeing the PlayStation in action for the first time, and just being in awe.

Today we're at a point where we're practically dreading the 'upgrade' and just praying the console makers don't f*** it up TOO much. "I hope I can turn off that Kinect b.s.", "I hope I can sell my used games", "I hope I can play offline", etc. Admittedly the Internet has something of an effect on this, but still... these companies done so little to sell the next gen as a must-have device in terms of improving gaming, and in many ways they've made the gaming experience sound worse. When the reaction to your new console reveal goes from eye popping to eye rolling, you're doing something wrong.
Old 05-23-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

On the bright side, this is one gen where odds are all cross platform games will perform identically.
Old 05-23-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My gaming has slowed way down over the past year so I'm in no hurry to upgrade and will likely wait for price drops, bundles, and bug fixes before deciding which one to go with. My two sons on the other hand will likely buy the Xbox One at launch and never let me use it.
Old 05-23-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 971 Likes on 686 Posts

I'm more curious as to who sees the X1 as anti-consumer and are going to buy anyway just because you have to have the latest and greatest.

MS has removed all the pros for console gaming and brought in the cons of PC gaming. I am less than enthused when I should be excited for the next console. MS has fucked things up royally. I'm far from an activist, but I also don't know how I could support a company implementing such draconian measures to take away my rights as a consumer.
Old 05-23-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plan for Nintendo this generation is to do what I did with the N64 and Gamecube...wait until the latter part of the generation and pick it up on the cheap for Mario/Zelda/Metroid.

I spent way too much money on the Wii with very little outside of Nintendo's big 3 to show for it.

It will be one or the other between Sony and MS, and right now, I'm leaning toward Sony.
Old 05-23-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've mainly switched to PC gaming for the most part, but I may buy one of the consoles at some point. I don't know which one, although I am considering the Wii U since Nintendo's games would probably be the biggest change of pace from the games available on the PC.
Old 05-23-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,457 Likes on 992 Posts

I'm pretty much on the fence. Xbox 360 gets all my play time right now. I'd love to continue on with an Xbox One but I need many more details about all the sketchy shit. Truth be told, I've got an almost 4 year old who loves Kinect, but has a hard time playing it because it occasionally has difficulty picking him up. If that technology improves greatly, which it appears to have, I'll probably get it so we can continue to do family gaming.

I won't bother with the PS4. Well at least that's what I think. My PS3 has been 98% blu ray player, with the 2% of game time being only 2 titles (Uncharted/Infamous). There's not been a game on there that I've had to have. So, I will likely pass on it.

WiiU pretty much has minor interest to me, but if a phenomenal Zelda or Mario game hits at some point, I might have to buy it just for that.
Old 05-23-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea, I was going to buy the Xbox and PS4, but the Xbox doesn't sound good at all.

Regardless, I learned last time to wait a year until good games come out.
Old 05-23-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,137 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I already have a Wii U.

I'm definitely getting a PS4 at launch. I may or may not pick up an Xbox One, but if I do, it probably won't be for a short while. The right game(s) could push me over the edge, though.
Old 05-23-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Today we're at a point where we're practically dreading the 'upgrade' and just praying the console makers don't f*** it up TOO much. "I hope I can turn off that Kinect b.s.", "I hope I can sell my used games", "I hope I can play offline", etc. Admittedly the Internet has something of an effect on this, but still... these companies done so little to sell the next gen as a must-have device in terms of improving gaming, and in many ways they've made the gaming experience sound worse. When the reaction to your new console reveal goes from eye popping to eye rolling, you're doing something wrong.
Spoiler for Length:
Spoiler:

Exactly. That's probably the best response I've seen this whole thread. I adore my 360, it is one of the best consoles I've ever played. To me, I'd be fine if the 360 was supported until the day I just decided to up and croak even if that was 50 years from now. I'm dead serious. Now do I expect that? Of course not. The system has been around for seven years (and I've probably played for 6 of those years) and to me there are a few hundred games that I still want to play whether they be on disc or Live Arcade. I could play this sucker conceivably for the rest of my life.

That said, I was still excited about a new Xbox. This was a couple of years ago, but I thought surely...this is the first system (along with PS3 naturally) with a mountain of DLC. This is the first system where we have digital downloads. This is the first system with a really good save system, so I can load up a game I played a year ago with no problems. So SURELY they would want to keep all that since gamers had gotten used to that. Well, much to my surprise, Microsoft decided to completely forget the Xbox 360 in its One plans. No BC to discs, No BC to digital downloads, No BC to the mountain of Downloadable content that most of us have amassed. Strike One.

The worst thing about this current generation I have thought often is the rise of motion controls. Sure, with the Wii, it was kinda cute, kinda fun. But it quickly wore off after 6 months. Soon, afterwards my Wii broke playing SuperSmash Brothers. Even though I kept a good handful of games (like my rare copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy), I've had no urge to go and buy a new Wii. So, Sony and Xbox decide to include motion gaming as well if we want it. Okay, I don't...no problem. The games are minimal and my 360 is still intact.

The Xbox One on the other hand is forcing me on a Kinect. All I want is a controller and a comfy chair. Heck, the living room carpeted floor will do for a bit. I work all day, drive roughly 2-3 hours, about 120 miles round trip. The last thing I want to do is get up and move or speak commands and hope that a sensor picks it up. So Strike two.

Then comes the final strike. Used games. Gaming like every other leg of entertainment has complained for years about the fact that they receive no money for used copies. It is a classic forest for the trees scenario and that the companies fail to see that Used games actually do generate revenue as good games generate word of mouth which in turn generate sales. Furthermore, used games drive down new game pricing. If I can get a new copy @ $30 or even $20 bucks versus a used copy at only $5 less difference, I'm almost always going to swing the new copy.

Now, we don't know the full details of used gaming when it comes to at least the Xbox One, but what we do have is a very eerie framework. We have went from no used games at all to possibly some kind of activation key with a fee attached. None of it sounds good. None of it sounds like something worth doing for the consumer. So used copies become almost negligible and since new games don't have to compete as much with used games, they never get clearanced and many games (even diamonds in the rough) will never be played. Thus only the big boys will eventually be able to play.

I have played games for 30 years. I would like to think that minus arthritis or getting running over by a bus, I can play for 30 more. But even though I am usually a late adopter, I am almost always on the current generation. But I'm still here standing on a cliff, looking over to the ravine where everybody seems to be going. I think I'm going to stay right here under the apple tree and play my Xbox 360. At least until the lights go out, and maybe even after that.
Old 05-23-13, 09:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 05-23-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,531 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Strangely enough, both these responses apply to my current level of interest. I may hold out longer than I was expecting to catch up on current gen games, but eventually I'll have to cave.

I DO think it's pretty sad that it's gotten to the point where picking a Next Gen system has become about picking the lesser of two evils. New system announcements used to be the stuff of dreams, seeing all the great new enhancements that you never believed possible on the current system. You'd see that sucker and you HAD to own one, and you wanted it NOW. I remember seeing the Genesis profiled in EGM back in the day, or seeing the PlayStation in action for the first time, and just being in awe.

Well said! It seems the console makers have lost sight of what they are there for...games. Quit trying to be the "be all, end all" and just make a fucking great console that plays great games. Enough of all the embellishment. All smart TVs now do much of what the console started, thus eliminating needing an extra box to do a lot of this shit.

They have forgotten the rule of "Keep it simple stupid," and it may finally bite them in the ass this time around.

I don't know what to think. I am just going to wait it out and slowly play all the games that I have wanted to play but have not finished on my 360 and my PS3. Maybe they will correct or fix some of this stuff. Until a new Halo, Dead Space, or perfect GTA type game comes out on the new consoles (and even those may not sway me), i going to stand on the sidelines and see what transpires.

I got rid of my Kinects because we never played with them (and my downstairs set-up does not lend itself to having one). I hate the PS controller. I don't find myself playing much online anymore and stick to single player games and campaigns so having a brick because I am not online irritates me (if that happens). I don't buy a lot of used games but I sell and trade games a lot. My friends and I sometimes share or lend each other games. I have assloads of Rock Band DLC along with many other games that I have downloaded that I will now lose.

I hate to say this but unless either PS or Xbox comes up with a really compelling reason to pick up their systems, I may skip this generation entirely and keep playing with what I have (since there are literally dozens if not more games that I have not tried yet on the current systems and you know the used game values on these games are going to drop like a rock).

It sucks but if there isn't a console that really speaks to my needs, I guess I really don't need a new one at this time. Gonna see how all this plays out. Hopefully the big two (sorry Wii, I just have zero interest in you) will listen to gamers and adapt to what they want/need and cut out some of the bullshit.
Old 05-23-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

GTA V is probably going to be a launch window title. Considering both the PS4 and X1 share hardware, it should be a quick port of a non-released PC version. Basically the 360/PS3 version with the sliders moved up a bit.
Old 05-23-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this would be the first I bought on release in a while, but now I'm not as sure.

I'm in wait and see mode, but could end up just getting a PS3 and playing through it's great exclusives first.
Old 05-23-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm preordering the Xbox One. Midnight release, vacation day(s), etc.

I'll probably get the PS4 on 2014, maybe for Christmas (2014)?

I have two Xbox 360s, 1 PS3 and 1 Wii. I will replace one Xbox 360 for the Xbox One.
Old 05-23-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Well said! It seems the console makers have lost sight of what they are there for...games. Quit trying to be the "be all, end all" and just make a fucking great console that plays great games. Enough of all the embellishment. All smart TVs now do much of what the console started, thus eliminating needing an extra box to do a lot of this shit.

They have forgotten the rule of "Keep it simple stupid," and it may finally bite them in the ass this time around.

It sucks but if there isn't a console that really speaks to my needs, I guess I really don't need a new one at this time. Gonna see how all this plays out. Hopefully the big two (sorry Wii, I just have zero interest in you) will listen to gamers and adapt to what they want/need and cut out some of the bullshit.
To be fair, Sony seems to have learned from their mistakes with the PS3, and almost their entire presentation was targeted at core gamers and developers, which was a stark contrast to MS's focus on replacing your cable box.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qh8KLN-l86o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gaikai, in particular, could be a real game changer for backwards compatibility, demos, and rentals.

I also think it was telling that the PS4's design lead and first presenter at their conference was Mark Cerny, who has been a fairly badass game programmer/designer/producer/director over the past 30 years (Marble Madness, Kid Chameleon, Sonic 2, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Uncharted...)
Old 05-23-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm all about Gaikai, that to me is the most interesting aspect.
Old 05-23-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

I don't think they have lost sight of anything; just because additional non-gaming related features have been added to consoles, doesn't mean that the gaming experience isn't there or has been diminished, nor does it mean that anyone has to use or worry about all the media features.

At the end of the day, unless you're hoping for a completely new way to play games like the original Wii, the basic technological hardware improvements are still there for developers to take advantage of and improve your gaming experience. While Microsoft is muddling things with internet connectivity or whatever, the basics of playing a new game with better graphics haven't changed on any of the consoles. The 360/PS3 aren't any worse off at gaming for adding apps, streaming media, playing movies, etc. I don't see how the Xbox One or PS4 would be either.
Old 05-23-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
GTA V is probably going to be a launch window title. Considering both the PS4 and X1 share hardware, it should be a quick port of a non-released PC version. Basically the 360/PS3 version with the sliders moved up a bit.
I have a gut feeling the reason the game was delayed four months was to have an upgraded version ready for (near) release with the next-generation devices. I'm hoping something good regarding GTA V comes out of E3 because I want to purchase the $79 edition without getting burned by, "OH HAI, HERE'S THE UPGRADE!"
Old 05-23-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That is what I was expecting as well. Double dipping doesn't really seem to be that popular with gamers these days unless there's a 5 year delay and an HD added to the end.

Grand Theft Auto 5 - 1080 Edition.
Old 05-23-13, 10:31 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Xbox one is out...

I will wait and see how anti-consumer the PS4 is. If I am happy with what I hear, day one on that system...if not, I will just keep putting my gtx 690 through the hoops....
Old 05-23-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

funnily enough I agree. Gaikai could be a game changer if Sony offered a Netflixish streaming service for games. And like chess said the lead developer is a Westerner. The system no longer being so Japanese influenced could be great.
Old 05-23-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll probably be in for the xbox one when nba 2ks abandons the 360 or whenever the new gears comes out...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.