Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 02:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Thanks Max & Rich. I'll keep an eye out for the bundle.
Old 10-17-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Thanks Max & Rich. I'll keep an eye out for the bundle.
GameStop has taken to selling their own bundles, which are in stock but don't include the $30 demo disc:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessor...-bundle/138085
Old 10-17-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
GameStop has taken to selling their own bundles, which are in stock but don't include the $30 demo disc:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessor...-bundle/138085
FYI, this is not a product I would purchase at Gamestop.

- I've read several reports of them refusing to take returns from people on it.
- The camera and Move controllers in the bundle above are used, not new.
- The Batman bundle actually costs $10 more than if you bought a true launch bundle and Batman VR and it comes with used Move controllers.
- Looking at the rest of their 'bundles', a lot include a mix of new and used products and cost more than just buying a new launch bundle and whatever else you want.
Old 10-17-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher
FYI, this is not a product I would purchase at Gamestop.

- I've read several reports of them refusing to take returns from people on it.
- The camera and Move controllers in the bundle above are used, not new.
- The Batman bundle actually costs $10 more than if you bought a true launch bundle and Batman VR and it comes with used Move controllers.
- Looking at the rest of their 'bundles', a lot include a mix of new and used products and cost more than just buying a new launch bundle and whatever else you want.
Yeah, it's an alternative to getting gouged on the kit or paying full price for the Move and Camera (~ $140) but it isn't a "good" deal by any stretch, the Batman deal is particularly bad.

Additionally, from what I understand is you can use the PS3 Move controllers with the PS4 camera so... yeah.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+move&_sacat=0
Old 10-18-16, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Played through the Thumper demo yesterday. I heard good things, and I have to agree that the game is pretty fun. It might get repetitive, but at $20 I think I might go and buy the full version. It's got a very addictive beat through that first section.
Old 10-18-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well my PS VR was set to ship on Friday but appears it will ship today instead. Sweet.
Old 10-19-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really want to see someone trying to use this

Spoiler:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/virzoom-...?skuId=5507811

Pedal your way into different realms with this VirZOOM VR gaming system. Its exercise bike-style VR controller precisely detects your body movements and pedaling speed and translates your motions into the video world. This VirZOOM VR gaming system comes with exciting workout games that let you drive race cars, pilot helicopters and ride horses in the virtual sphere.

Old 10-19-16, 08:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Hmm...my kids had a similar thing years ago:

Old 10-19-16, 09:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Managed to pick up an official PS VR retail bundle at GameStop (not their "bundle" of individual items). I wasn't going to buy it but... they had it... so...

Set it up pretty quickly last night, so now I have a new nest of cables. I'll have to work that all out. Setup was easy, though. I just wish the PS4 had USB ports on the back. I hate having something plugged into the front. I didn't bother setting up the Move controllers yet, but you guys were right that not a whole lot of games require them.

Basic thoughts:
- The flat 'cinematic' mode is cool, but the screen is far too big. Just found out that it can be adjusted, so I'll be making it a bit smaller. Sadly, I'm not sure how effective it'll really be for playing non-VR games, since the image quality seems to take a bit more of a hit than I was expecting. Hopefully it's 'good enough' when I shrink the screen a bit.
- Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is... not great... using the standard controller. Probably better using Move. Every time I "calibrated" the controller in-game, it just made it worse. At one point, so bad that my virtual arm was directly in front of my face, so I couldn't see any targets. I ended up giving up pretty early on, but I'll dive back in after I do a FULL calibration as suggested previously. I know it's just a standard rollercoaster shooter, but I do actually kind of like it.
- Wearing glasses with PSVR works, but for me, it's an annoyance and feels pretty uncomfortable. I'll try again with my contact lenses.
- Thumper is awesome. One of those games that doesn't really NEED to be VR, but I'm glad it is. I can only imagine how hard the later levels are, but I passed the demo.
- Within is pretty much a waste of time. There's some cool things about the videos, but things like the SNL videos suffer from pure garbage image quality. I like the Squarepusher video, though.
- Screen door effect is pretty distracting at times, but with the right games (Thumper) it's easy to ignore.
- I messed around in Playroom VR a little bit, but there's not much to say about it.
- I did that underwater shark demo. Visually, it was cool, but as others said, it's merely a tech demo at best. As far as I could tell, all you can do is look around. No interaction.
- Driveclub VR; I liked the cockpit view (which I typically don't use in driving games), but the image quality leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't buy it.
- REZ: Infinite was crazy. I'll probably buy the full version of that, too.

And that's about all I tried. It sounds like I really need to play the Batman VR game. And if I can get the 'cinematic' mode to be more comfortable/usable with movies or non-VR games, that'll be a big bonus.

Despite my random complaints, I am happy with it and I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch of other games and demos once I get the Move controllers set up, and after I re-calibrate everything.
Old 10-19-16, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am curious if Drive Club image quality will improve w/ the Pro
Old 10-19-16, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I am curious if Drive Club image quality will improve w/ the Pro
This game is ideal for the pro to enhance the visuals with. It just seems like a lot of details are missing from the items within the graphics like the trees in the background, car details etc. When I tried this out I felt like I was looking at something in between a ps2/ps3.
Old 10-19-16, 11:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So far I'm loving the VR. Bought Eve:Valkyrie and Batman VR. Playing Batman wows everyone who have tried it. Have yet to pop in Valkyrie on my own system but tried it at another friend's place. I liked it so much over at my friends, I decided to go to Best Buy and get it ($48 with discount). Also picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider and I'll try that tomorrow night.
Old 10-20-16, 10:19 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Day 2 with PSVR: much better!

Rearranged my setup a little bit. Calibrated each device individually. Played Job Simulator.

Seriously, this thing is a blast. After calibrating (seriously, do this! Settings -> Devices -> Playstation VR. Go through each section.) things just felt a lot better overall. Even the screen door effect was less distracting (but still there. Don't expect it to disappear).

I bought Batman VR, but didn't play it last night. I'll give it a shot tonight. I played a few more rounds of Until Dawn, and it's actually pretty fun, and loosely ties in with the original game. Fuck the jump scares, though. Job Simulator is very silly. Tip: Eat a donut from the garbage.

I haven't looked much, but I'm hoping we get some really good guides on which titles should be played vs. skipped entirely.

Cinematic/2D mode... needs work. The drop in resolution isn't that bad, and I could see myself restarting Bloodborne (which I never even came close to finishing) and only playing it on this thing, but my biggest complaint:
The three screen sizes suck. All three of them. Terrible. This *could* be a headset-to-camera proximity thing, but I'm not sure. I'll have to toy with it, but so far:
Large is just way too big. I have to turn my head too much to the left or right to see the edges of the screen. As noted elsewhere, it really is like being in the very front row of a theatre with the only benefit being that you don't have to tilt your head upward.
Medium would be perfect if it was just a BIT smaller. As it is, I still feel like focusing on the far left or right is difficult.
Small is actually a pretty good size, but unlike Large and Medium (which kind of just float in one spot, as if it were a real screen in your room), Small fixes the screen to your head position, so it moves around in time with your head. This could be useful in some scenarios, but ugh. I didn't like it when watching Netflix, and I didn't like it when playing a game, so... yeah. Not for me.

So Medium is the best of the worst, but still just a little bit too big. I hope Sony works in a patch that gives these modes a bit more flexibility. A screen size slider would be perfect.
Old 10-21-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Welp, Job Simulator seeped into my dreams last night, that was weird.
Old 10-21-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Hmmm... I can see it now... suicides and killings blamed on VR...
Old 10-25-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Took the plunge and bought the VR as a Xmas present for my son. Can't wait to try out the Battlefront VR X-Wing missions.
Old 10-25-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
Took the plunge and bought the VR as a Xmas present for my son. Can't wait to try out the Battlefront VR X-Wing missions.
Be sure you check out Robot Rescue (part of the freebie Playroom VR) when you bust that thing open, it's a Mario-style platformer and the visuals are absolutely incredible on the PSVR.

After a few days now I'm loving mine, the Move aspect isn't perfect but I feel like they could upgrade that very easily once they stop this greedy streak that they're on. The head-tracking with the camera works great. There is far more software than I was expecting this early on, sure much of it is short, but it is a lot of fun to play. I had some friends over and put them through Job Simulator, it's amazing that everybody opens their mouth to throw up after eating the garbage donuts.
Old 10-25-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm wondering if I should pick up a PS4 Pro to alleviate the performance issues? Anybody know how measurable the difference is between the launch system and Pro?
Old 10-25-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon currently has about a half dozen LN launch units for $460. I'm guessing probably returns.
Old 10-25-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Amazon currently has about a half dozen LN launch units for $460. I'm guessing probably returns.
They didn't last very long, wonder if they were honest returns or price gouger returns.
Old 10-25-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are two available now. They keep coming back in stock.
Old 10-25-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now $435.77 for VG
Old 10-26-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's apparently a hardware related drift issue with a very small number of PSVR units, so if you end up with one where the screen mysteriously drifts every few minutes. Either return it or contact Sony.

I'm thinking Sony may have shot themselves in the foot by recycling Move controllers instead of providing one with an analog stick. It's an easy enough fix moving forward, but I dunno how that got through the board room.
Old 10-26-16, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, so I have a dilemma. Target has a 10% coupon out that works on video games and electronics. My local store has one launch bundle left that would be $425 after coupon and Red Card. Is it worth picking up now or waiting to see how things shake out?

A couple things to note, I don't have any move controllers or camera, so the bundle would probably be my best bet. It also looks like that bundle is discontinued after this. So they might do something else later or maybe even pack in a game or something.

I don't have a decent computer, so it's either Playstation VR or nothing.
Old 10-27-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd jump on it... those units are becoming hotter than ever with Xmas around the corner.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.