Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Old 06-25-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Using the Move peripherals was a poor idea, I haven't touched my PSVR since I got a Rift.

That said the PSVR has some excellent exclusives with the gamepad, but I sort of realized that VR with a gamepad wasn't what I was after and most ports of bigger titles are pretty murky looking on the platform.
Old 06-26-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This thing is pretty amazing.
Old 06-27-19, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I decided to have a more indepth look at the PSVR yesterday and it seems good, but not great. The one thing i cannot seem to get past are how horribly designed the controllers seem to be. The Oculus Quest controllers look a near perfect design, whereas PSVR seems like two tubes with a colored tennis ball on the top. Can anyone comment on how good the PSVR is and whether i should consider it? The one thing that makes me pause more than anything is the fact that with the PS5 right around the corner i would not be surprised if VR gets an overhaul and we see new controllers and a new setup.
I not an expert at all at any of the VR choices but my opinion is that the Quest if more "future proof" in that you'll always want a cable free VR system. Even if it is just to consume media it will never be outdated because you'll be able to use it for something. Plus what you say about the PS5 is true and I see PSVR being outdated as soon as they come out with whatever it is that they do with VR for the PS5. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is looking very closely at how the Quest does so they can incorporate some kind of wireless technology in their future head set.
Old 06-28-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Welp if anyone with a Quest and some time and money wants to experiment with something interesting.

Buy Virtual Desktop (App)
Get a Shadow account (It's a high end virtual PC, it's pricey ($25 - $35/mo) -- first 10 days for $10 tho to screw around with it).
Setup Steam + Steam VR + Virtual Desktop Streamer on the Shadow PC
Update Virtual Desktop w/ the SideQuest patch (Plug into PC, load SideQuest App, press Patch).
Download a game w/ VR in Steam -- there are a few cheap/freebies.
Load Virtual Desktop and select Connect to the Shadow PC

You can also do it with a local PC but that's too easy It works surprisingly well for streamed VR games, my Wifi is the only crappy part about it, I need to replace that thing.
Old 06-29-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is the Quest's game refund policy (for anything under 14 days purchased and 2 hours played) as easy as they make it sound? Since I don't see demos to try, buying and then asking for a refund seems to be the approach for me to try things to see if I like them.

I downloaded Beat Saber and control of the sabers is so much better on Quest vs PSVR, not to mention no fear of tripping over wires when moving around.
Old 07-02-19, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I received a refund for two games. It took 3-5 days.
Old 07-13-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am glad I went Quest over PSVR if for no other reason than the portability.

Space Pirate Simulator has been a big hit at my house.