Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PC)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PC)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PC)

Are you trying the quickdraw Batclaw grab technique? That's usually good for an easy hit more times then not.
Old 11-16-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The quickdraw was the ticket. It still was ridiculously hard for me, and I only got past Deathstroke with one bar of health left, but at least I'm past him!

Now I can finally enjoy the rest of the game.
Old 11-18-13, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are more challenges coming I think.
Old 12-03-13, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Just finished. Good game. Don't know why it got such poor reviews. It's easily the best story of the three. Arkham Asylum will always be my favorite, but I prefer Origins over Arkham City, even with the looser fighting and the bugs.
I think I'm about 3/4ths through, but barring an awful final act, this is where I'm at too. I think the stories across all 3 games are pretty comparable, but I prefer Origins over City. Asylum is the best experience of all of the games IMHO. The newness of the series, along with that setting, made that game so special. And even though they've tried, they have yet to match the Scarecrow stuff from the first game.

A question for those that have finished the game. Can you still do the assassin quests after finishing the main story, or do you need to do those first?
Old 12-03-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So is it story DLC or simply misrepresented as such? Because the product description made it seem like it was simply a collection of challenge maps.
Old 12-03-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Even if it is story DLC, you're not really Batman (yet) and you're not in Gotham, so what's the point?
Old 12-03-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't mind a whole side story set during Bruce's training with it's own hub completely different from Gotham. But if it's just a bunch of challenge maps, I'm not really interested.
Old 12-03-13, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Even if it is story DLC, you're not really Batman (yet) and you're not in Gotham, so what's the point?
I think it's pretty cool but then again an aspect of Batman that I've always really liked were the stories in the Year One continuity showing his training or in Batman Begins showing him training with Ra's and the League of Shadows. Plus it kind of fits with the fact that this game is titled Arkham Origins that we see more of Bruce's backstory before he became Batman.
Old 12-03-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Everything I've read on it said it was just challenge maps.
Old 12-04-13, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So having beat the game, I must say that I am perplexed by the middling reviews Arkham Origins received. The bugs seemed to be an issue, so I understand that part, but if they are set aside (I think the patch worked, because I only had one issue while playing through the main campaign) I thought this game was pretty awesome. It easily had more memorable and tense moments than City for me, and I'm also a sucker for Batman at Christmas time. Something about that combination just feels right to me.

And while I worship at the church of Conroy and Hamill, I think there are elements of this Joker that I prefer to Hamill's. The Batman was fine, but definitely a step down from Conroy's gravitas, but the Joker was very close to Hamill in quality IMHO. That said, I agree with the poster that said there was no real reason Conroy and Hamill couldn't have done these roles. I'm guessing it was a money thing, because Conroy has shown that he can do a younger sounding Batman.

I'm sure this series isn't over, but if these first three games are looked at as a trilogy, I am just pleased as punch with it. As a lifelong Bat-fan, these games were such a treat.

The only thing I wish they figured out how to do during this trilogy was to make a truly epic Joker boss fight. I hated the fight at the end of Asylum, and felt like Joker was more of a prop during his fights in City and Origins. I wish they figured out a way to have a really memorable showdown between Batman and his arch-nemesis. I always felt like there should have been a marathon boss fight with Joker at the end of Asylum, with him being unmutated, and you having to track him from location to location.
Old 12-04-13, 05:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's really no way to have an epic Joker boss fight, though. In no medium is he a physical match for Batman. That's one of the main points of his character, in fact.
Old 12-04-13, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by boredsilly
So having beat the game, I must say that I am perplexed by the middling reviews Arkham Origins received. The bugs seemed to be an issue, so I understand that part, but if they are set aside (I think the patch worked, because I only had one issue while playing through the main campaign) I thought this game was pretty awesome. It easily had more memorable and tense moments than City for me, and I'm also a sucker for Batman at Christmas time. Something about that combination just feels right to me.

And while I worship at the church of Conroy and Hamill, I think there are elements of this Joker that I prefer to Hamill's. The Batman was fine, but definitely a step down from Conroy's gravitas, but the Joker was very close to Hamill in quality IMHO. That said, I agree with the poster that said there was no real reason Conroy and Hamill couldn't have done these roles. I'm guessing it was a money thing, because Conroy has shown that he can do a younger sounding Batman.

I'm sure this series isn't over, but if these first three games are looked at as a trilogy, I am just pleased as punch with it. As a lifelong Bat-fan, these games were such a treat.

The only thing I wish they figured out how to do during this trilogy was to make a truly epic Joker boss fight. I hated the fight at the end of Asylum, and felt like Joker was more of a prop during his fights in City and Origins. I wish they figured out a way to have a really memorable showdown between Batman and his arch-nemesis. I always felt like there should have been a marathon boss fight with Joker at the end of Asylum, with him being unmutated, and you having to track him from location to location.
I haven't played it in like 2 or 3 weeks but if both patches are in finally... Great.

Gameplay wise... The fighting is off. The pacing for it is broken. Add in thatbthe accuracy of what you do may be off cuz the controls arent tighter for it. Boss fights are mostly unimpressive. While I like the setting, the city itself is rather boring in visual and quantity of area. Riddler stuff is too easy. Actually that one has no real reason to be in there. It's essentially a very worthless addition while its previous appearances were a much valued aspect of the franchise. Also I the graphics on this one are weaker.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
There's really no way to have an epic Joker boss fight, though. In no medium is he a physical match for Batman. That's one of the main points of his character, in fact.
There have been physical struggles but a normal one on one? Not really exciting for those 2. I actually really liked this finale with them.
Old 12-04-13, 10:15 AM
Banned

Golden Age Joker could and did fight Batman directly in hand-to-hand combat. He even won a time or two. Golden Age (and even Silver Age) Batman wasn't that formidable of a fighter. Adam West Batman was a very accurate portrayal of Batman comics of the Silver Age.

The whole Batman as a master ninja mastering a hundred different types of martial arts wasn't written until Denny O'Neil reinvented him as the Dark Knight in the 1970s.

Anyway, the best way to do a Joker boss fight isn't really a direct hand-to-hand battle. That's where AA fell flat because it was just Joker as a Venomed thug in hand-to-hand battle. The battle should have been done differently similar to the Scarecrow nightmares or Killer Croc chase through the sewers. Those are battles that actually play to the character's distinct personality, and Joker should have gotten the same instead of being a Venom thug.
Old 12-04-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Gameplay wise... The fighting is off. The pacing for it is broken. Add in thatbthe accuracy of what you do may be off cuz the controls arent tighter for it. Boss fights are mostly unimpressive. While I like the setting, the city itself is rather boring in visual and quantity of area. Riddler stuff is too easy. Actually that one has no real reason to be in there. It's essentially a very worthless addition while its previous appearances were a much valued aspect of the franchise. Also I the graphics on this one are weaker.
See, the fighting feels good to me. Maybe I would notice the differences if I played City right before Origins, but as it stands the combat feels practically the same to me. Maybe slightly looser, but not by much. And the graphics look comparable to me as well. Actually, I don't see how they're worse if they're using a lot of the same assets.

I like the City, but I can see why some would not. Just a matter of taste. And agree 100% about the Riddler. They should have just left him out of this game, instead of trying to recapture what was done before. The Boss fights? I think I agree with you, but I didn't mind what was there. The Firefly fight seemed to be the only one that really stretched what the series has done.

There have been physical struggles but a normal one on one? Not really exciting for those 2. I actually really liked this finale with them.
Originally Posted by taffer
Anyway, the best way to do a Joker boss fight isn't really a direct hand-to-hand battle. That's where AA fell flat because it was just Joker as a Venomed thug in hand-to-hand battle. The battle should have been done differently similar to the Scarecrow nightmares or Killer Croc chase through the sewers. Those are battles that actually play to the character's distinct personality, and Joker should have gotten the same instead of being a Venom thug.
Taffer knows what time it is. When I say epic fight, I'm not talking about a hand to hand bout, but a memorable confrontation that is on par with that of Scarecrow or Croc. It could be heavily environmental based. But this is just a minor complaint I have with the series.
Old 12-04-13, 11:26 AM
Banned

Yeah, the best boss "battles" in my opinion are the ones that don't involve actual fighting.

Scarecrow's nightmares
Killer Croc's chase through the sewers
Mr. Freeze's ultimate stealth predator mode

Those are my three favorite boss "battles" in the series.

Joker's boss "battle" should have been something like navigating through a funhouse full of traps or something like that (similar to rescuing the Riddler hostages in AC), not Joker on Venom.

Last edited by taffer; 12-04-13 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-04-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
Joker's boss "battle" should have been something like navigating through a funhouse full of traps or something like that (similar to rescuing the Riddler hostages in AC), not Joker on Venom.
Exactly! And in a fight like that you can have it end when you get to the Joker, or after a single punch.
Old 12-05-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I just finished the main storyline and I'm 93% complete on the Riddler portion of the game. I'm frustrated though because none of the Enigma Data Packs show up on my map (I interrogated all of the handlers) and it's still saying I'm missing some and/or the files. When I select the actual quest from the menu it shows 5/11 for an area, but when I look in that area there aren't any to be found. Any suggestions as to what I'm overlooking? I'm sure it's pretty simple.
Old 12-06-13, 06:59 PM
Banned

They could be inside the area itself. The bridge is like that.
Old 12-06-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I clicked on the buildings to zoom in and none of the packs are showing up. Yet it still says 5/12 or something like that. Can't figure out what I'm missing here or where to find the remaining packs.
Old 12-07-13, 09:55 AM

I'm still working my way through the story (not my fault, Nintendo released SM3DW during my play) and love it. I'm with Bored Silly: looking at these games as a trilogy, it has been awesome. Us Batman fans never got a really great representation of the characters, much less decent gameplay until this series. Rocksteady and WB had way more hits than misses, and along with Nolan's Batman films these new mediums really did justice to the comics.

For me, the next logical progression would be a more "alive" city like GTA with a single,overarching story line (ala Long Halloween) and multiple side missions and crimes. Neither game has perfected this just yet.

I do want a lot more Scarecrow next time, though.
Old 12-07-13, 02:14 PM
Banned

Does WB have a lot of hits? I know nothing of their development teams.

Rocksteady being away from this one, mysteriously to us, is felt. Which saddened me. If they were on this the gameplay, one would hope, would have been a solid progression. Especially the gameplay with Bats.

I'd love an alive city but also with some limitations. Batman himself limits his actions. So you know driving the batmobile would be a bad idea in an open world. Great in a controlled setting kind of mission. I wonder if a new gen Bats game is what Rocksteady is on?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-07-13 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rocksteady being away from this one, mysteriously to us, is felt. Which saddened me. If they were on this the gameplay, one would hope, would have been a solid progression. Especially the gameplay with Bats.
Funny enough, a large section of the end credits is about Rocksteady. They seemed to have been far more hands on than the press releases would lead you to believe.
Old 12-09-13, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
So I turn on my game tonight to find out my save file is corrupt. 15 or so hours down the drain. At this point I have no desire to restart it. I'm hoping this so called patch can fix the issue as it seems many others have reported their save files to be damaged.

Times like these I wish I didn't care about achievements so much...
Son of a bitch, the same thing happened to me two nights ago. Pretty sure I downloaded all of the patches too, but when I went to load it up I found a corrupted file instead of my game file (~45% complete). I was up to finding the Joker in the steel mill in the main storyline, and had already spent hours destroying all the cameras and getting/tagging every Riddler pack I could. I was really enjoying it too, maybe not quite as much as the others, but enough that I had figured I'd 100% it. Ugh, not cool, not cool at all. Just not looking forward to defeating Deathstroke again, though it'd probably be a lot easier this time round.
Old 12-13-13, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Has anyone ever gotten that WBID to work? When I try creating a new account, the game takes me to a weird radial menu that shows the analog sticks of my controller and then I have to go to mouse and keyboard to fill things out but it never actually works. If I try with an existing account (assuming that it's basically Games For Windows renamed) and it simply tells me WBID is not available.
Old 12-17-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Finished the main story. It was fun, if not particularly memorable. Decent game overall, but it just didn't grab me for some reason. I like doing the Predator challenge maps as much as anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.