Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bungie - Destiny

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bungie - Destiny

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
...the damn universal media features got me to go back.
I could never figure out who they were talking to with all that TV, TV, TV, Sports, Sports, TV. So you're the guy!
Old 09-10-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
I could never figure out who they were talking to with all that TV, TV, TV, Sports, Sports, TV. So you're the guy!
I love the integration of the TV with the Xbox. It really is a neat seamless experience. So many times I can be playing a game and quickly go in and out of catching something on TV and then back to the game or some other app. Yeah some of it is just laziness but I still love not having to constantly change my TV input to jump back and forth.
Old 09-10-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 938 Likes on 692 Posts

Is there any reason to keep old/dupe equipment? I just got 3 Ghost Shells, which I think are from pre ordering the deluxe but they're all the same. Should I just discard the other two? They can't be broken down.

Loving the game so far but man, those load times...do we really need a 2 part loading screen to get into a zone?
Old 09-10-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
do we really need a 2 part loading screen to get into a zone?
I had concerns about that in the alpha/beta. Why do I need to load into "orbit" before loading into a mission. It should just bring up the damn map when I hit options in the tower.

I guess they do some random matchmaking in orbit, but if I'm already in a squad, I shouldn't have to load all of that.
Old 09-10-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
Question:

I did a patrol mission last night and was rewarded some Vanguard Marks. Immediately afterwards I went back to town but when I arrived my Marks had disappeared. Bug? Or did I do something wrong in teleporting out immediately?
Are you sure it wasn't vanguard rep points you were awarded instead?
Old 09-10-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The game has a lot of preorders because it is the most hyped title of the year. That doesn't mean it is a great game.
It has a lot of pre-orders because it's from the company that made Halo. Bungie hasn't put out a bomb yet.
Old 09-10-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts

The game has a lot of preorders because it is the most hyped title of the year. That doesn't mean it is a great game.
No, people were excited for it because millions got to play the Beta and Alpha of the game for hours on end, and they wanted more. People got more info on the game and if they'd like it from playing those than any review could ever give them.

The game's not perfect, it has it's issues, but these are things that can be fixed with updates, and I'm sure they will be, as it's more of a platform rather than a singular one-off game. They're going to keep building on it and more than likely, keep improving upon it.

Big question is, will the community that the game requires to be a continued success still be there a year from now, when there are much newer and better games out there. That's their challenge; to keep this game fresh over the long haul.
Old 09-10-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gang, maybe he meant Destiny is 'da bomb' not 'a bomb'. Right?
Old 09-10-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,249 Likes on 4,270 Posts

Activision announces that Destiny had the "Most Successful New Video Game Franchise Launch Ever". But, you know, still a bomb.
Old 09-10-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Started my third character and he's at the beginning so if anyone wants to start a new character I'll join and do the Earth Storyline.

I played with some friends late last night and we did the free roam part on the Moon. We also bumped the level up to hard and for most of it we did good, got decent rewards and better XP completing all the side quests. It seemed better than what I was getting on Earth Missions doing normal. It was showing Level 6 at normal and on hard Level 9. We were all Level 7 going in and just stayed close. Seems the best way to go especially on the Free roam part...get a group together do free roam quest and bump to hard.

Love the Moon part. You probably could spend a few days there just looking around. We found several chests and some were just on a hill in the open but you really need to look. There' plenty of caves and the way the shadows are you can almost wlak right by and never see them.
Old 09-10-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Started my third character and he's at the beginning so if anyone wants to start a new character I'll join and do the Earth Storyline.

I played with some friends late last night and we did the free roam part on the Moon. We also bumped the level up to hard and for most of it we did good, got decent rewards and better XP completing all the side quests. It seemed better than what I was getting on Earth Missions doing normal. It was showing Level 6 at normal and on hard Level 9. We were all Level 7 going in and just stayed close. Seems the best way to go especially on the Free roam part...get a group together do free roam quest and bump to hard.

Love the Moon part. You probably could spend a few days there just looking around. We found several chests and some were just on a hill in the open but you really need to look. There' plenty of caves and the way the shadows are you can almost wlak right by and never see them.
Will be starting a character within the hour Buzz.
Old 09-10-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It has a lot of pre-orders because it's from the company that made Halo. Bungie hasn't put out a bomb yet.
It has a 6.1 on metacritic, from users. That's bad for a AAA title. Plenty of 1 star reviews on Amazon, and the first professional reviewers out of the gate have not been glowing.

Besides, I didn't say the game was a turkey or bomb. I said it was starting to look that way. I hope it's not.
Old 09-10-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Activision announces that Destiny had the "Most Successful New Video Game Franchise Launch Ever". But, you know, still a bomb.
So apparently you think it's impossible for a game to suck and yet be financially successful. With that logic, the Sims must be one of the greatest video games ever created!
Old 09-10-14, 11:55 AM

Besides, I didn't say the game was a turkey or bomb. I said it was starting to look that way. I hope it's not.
This is starting to look like the big turkey of the year. Next gen has been a massive failure in 2014 with this bomb and so many delays into 2015.
Old 09-10-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

My Destiny bundle shipped. I will be amongst you tomorrow.

How long has it been taking to download? I hear it's 16GB? Has it been going smooth for the most part?

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 09-10-14 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-10-14, 12:07 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think my 8 million games sold first week is safe. Time to take me seriously now?
Old 09-10-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It has a 6.1 on metacritic, from users. That's bad for a AAA title.
The user reviews of Destiny are proof that Metacritic needs to go away

Obviously an Op Ed but still...
Old 09-10-14, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my Limited Edition last night. I started a female Warlock character. I got her up to level 4. The graphics look really good but the world seems so dead. I was expecting to see some animals, birds, insects, etc. I guess that's just part of the story line. I've only found 3 dead ghosts so far. Any idea what those do?

Add me on XBL, gamertag: edstein.
Old 09-10-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Either play the game or don't. Why does everyone put so much stock into what "everyone else" thinks? There was an alpha and a beta to whet appetites, so either you're up for it or you're not. If not, plenty of other games out there to pick from.
Old 09-10-14, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Either play the game or don't. Why does everyone put so much stock into what "everyone else" thinks? There was an alpha and a beta to whet appetites, so either you're up for it or you're not. If not, plenty of other games out there to pick from.
While I certainly agree with this sentiment, it would also be nice to see how the game is reviewed in the gaming press before buying it. The Beta was fun sure, but understandably not full of content. If it turned out for example that the full game was also lacking content or features, that's something it would be nice to know before spending $60 or $100 on the game. I don't think the aggregate review score means much, but I would like to know how the game is being generally received by the traditional review sites.
Old 09-10-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Will be starting a character within the hour Buzz.
I've got to run and do some errands...I stuck around and basicall played all day yesterday. Me and kanjji have our characters up to Level 5/6 and I think before the Devils Mission. We were running some Free roam to level up and get better stuff before going in and she called it a night. ith draven got in for awhile.

Is this your first or second character? If you plan on another I'll do hat with you or help get up near us. I think kanjji is a Warlock and I'm a Titan. My new one is the Hunter...I should be back on maybe around 5 central.
Old 09-10-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PS4 & XB1 Limited Editions are back in stock at Amazon
Old 09-10-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, that moon strike is tough. Can get to the boss no problem, but there are so many wizards and kinghts. We were all level 13 and still couldnt get past the 3rd wave of the final boss.
Old 09-10-14, 01:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Are you sure it wasn't vanguard rep points you were awarded instead?
You're probably right. The icons look the same.
Old 09-10-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While I certainly agree with this sentiment, it would also be nice to see how the game is reviewed in the gaming press before buying it. The Beta was fun sure, but understandably not full of content. If it turned out for example that the full game was also lacking content or features, that's something it would be nice to know before spending $60 or $100 on the game. I don't think the aggregate review score means much, but I would like to know how the game is being generally received by the traditional review sites.
I don't disagree with that. But this push to know what everyone else thinks about a thing on the day that it comes out is getting to be a bit absurd. Cool your jets and wait a couple days. I'm not sure when this mentality of IT'S OUT I MUST KNOW NOW came from.

Then again if they'd had two weeks of early access to it there'd be cries of moneyhats and daggers and #gamergate and women and the like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.