Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Recommend a Gaming Headset

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-12, 01:47 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Recommend a Gaming Headset

I'm thinking about getting a gaming headset, but I don't know what to look for. Hoping someone can recommend a good one.

I'll be using it on the 360. But it would be nice if it also worked on the PS3. I have them both connected to a Yamaha receiver. Are the headsets hooked up through the receiver or the console?

I'd prefer something that's wireless, so long as that doesn't have a noticeable affect on the quality. And hopefully around $50-$75. Might be willing to pay around $100-$125 if it makes a big difference.
Old 01-04-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Recommend a Gaming Headset

I was totally surprised no-one really had input on this and in fact should be some sticky thread for both consoles and pc. That said...

I have been in the same boat several times and got serious again in this week. I've read reviews till I'm reviewed out of my mind. Reviews on Amazon, on Best Buy, game forums....you name it I've about read it. And just like audio only headcans, big money doesn't mean guaranteed super sound and performance.

i think one who wants to get a pair of headphones for gaming is no different from audiophiles looking for personal sound....wants, needs, objective and of course how deep are your pockets. With gamers you have probably three levels; lite, moderate and serious. With prices you can almost break it down about three levels also; $75, $150 and $225 ranges.

Since I fall in between moderate and lite and money wise I was looking in the $75 range I saw about three or four models and did research on all four; Turtle beach X12, Turtle Beach Z11, Tritton Detantors and Rocketfish Wired 3D Sound. Again it didn't matter as it seemed about each one had pros & cons. One thing though is with gming is having comfort for long sessions is about as important as sound.

With the Trittons I read almost everyone like their sound and performance but also didn't like the feel of the cups on the ears after long period of playing. The Trittons have some neat features.
With the TB's models it was better with feel of the cups and wearing longer and the sound was good but not great.
Rocketfish was one I kept going back on and reading more.Almost overall everyone like the fit, they didn't clamp to tightly and the cups fit over the ears snugged and didn't hurt after long periods but did get warm. Many also said they were surprised by the sound quality based on their cost.

that said as I write this I'm listing to my mp3's thru the PC wearing the Rocketfish ones. o far the sound for these on-sale $39.99 from Best Buy headcans is pretty surprising. They clapm on the side on head about just right; not tight and not loose. The ear cups are not too large, not too small and pretty comfortable.
i like the controls and it actually feels sturdy with thumb wheels on three locations with the SRS on/off switch. It's best to leave it "off" listening to music. The controller has a spring clip so to attache to your shirt or whatever. After I get off here I'll give it go on the Xbox.

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pr...F-GUV1201.html
Old 01-04-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought 3 sets of the Turtle Beach PX21s. They are branded for the PS3 but will work on both 360 and PS3 as well as the PC. They are wired though. Price is great at $65 with free shipping on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FYKPPAodviMArQ
Old 01-05-13, 12:01 PM

I ended up buying the Turtle Beach X12 for around $50 at Amazon. Did a lot of online research, and it seems to be the best of the lower range models.

My biggest concern was comfort. I've got a huge melon head that heats up quickly. So far, it seems really comfortable. I haven't done any marathon gaming sessions. But I've played a few rounds, and don't have any complaints yet.

It's a wired headset, but the cord is about 16 feet long. So I don't feel like I'm on a leash. I was considering the Turtle Beach X42 model, which is wireless. But I guess the ear cups on that model are round (the X12 are oval), and some reviewers mentioned they were less comfortable.

The sound quality is excellent. I don't have any other headsets to compare it against. But I'm hearing stuff I never heard with my 5.1 home theater set-up. It's really amazing.

Overall, I'm really happy with the purchase. This is a great headset. Perfect for new users. And it didn't cost much, so I won't regret it if I upgrade in the future.
Old 01-06-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Update....after using the Rocketfish w/SRS

After playing for nearly 4-5 hours and trying them on the PC....

Sound -
does the job on the 360. With almost four options...game & chat volume, bass boost, SRS and volume you can do some fine tuning to fit your needs. I found actually too muchbass during the game gave some distortion. High and mids seemed detailed enough. The SRS feature does seem to provide a bit more range but I'm still toying with some settings.
Listening to MP3's on the PC have been a pleasant surprised . It's not going to win true audiophiles over but this is a game headset first. have not tried it on the MP3 player yet.

Comfort -
Played for 4-5 hours yeasterday and didn't bother me one bit. These are light, seem to have the right tension on the ears and the ear cups have good cushion. One thing with them versus some others is the material for the cups is a soft velvet type. Almost like the Sennheiser 320/360 series. The Trittons use a vinyl material which can get warm. Not sure on the Turtle Beach series but more of a tweed material. The headband has a ratchet type of adjustment on each side

Controls -
Like most wired sets you have your controller with sliders, wheels and buttons. Straight forward with the wheels on the game & chat, volume and bass. The wheels have the right tension and feel. The SRS has a slider for on/off. Now on the mute you have two options I do like; a button on the controller for the mic but also one on the left side of the headset for "All Mute". Also you do have the Left or Right for the Mic. All you do is turn the end around to match the side. it's a bending rubber material but doesn't bend like a hard wire one like the Turtle Beach series.

Cons -
So far the only one but seems to be minor is my chat with other players. They siad it's not crystal clear but more like I'm at a distance or in a big room. But they can hear me fine. Just not the same with the cheap one ear set you normally see or use.

Wires - well they're there and plenty of them. Plenty of length with extra connecting the Left & Right to the audio out in the back. I sit 9ft away and have no problem.
Old 01-06-13, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I ended up buying the Turtle Beach X12 for around $50 at Amazon. Did a lot of online research, and it seems to be the best of the lower range models.

My biggest concern was comfort. I've got a huge melon head that heats up quickly. So far, it seems really comfortable. I haven't done any marathon gaming sessions. But I've played a few rounds, and don't have any complaints yet.

It's a wired headset, but the cord is about 16 feet long. So I don't feel like I'm on a leash. I was considering the Turtle Beach X42 model, which is wireless. But I guess the ear cups on that model are round (the X12 are oval), and some reviewers mentioned they were less comfortable.

The sound quality is excellent. I don't have any other headsets to compare it against. But I'm hearing stuff I never heard with my 5.1 home theater set-up. It's really amazing.

Overall, I'm really happy with the purchase. This is a great headset. Perfect for new users. And it didn't cost much, so I won't regret it if I upgrade in the future.
W/ the X12 set...are those were all audio comes out of the headset?

Those types of headsets are something I've been looking for. I'm very new to the headset game. In fact...this would be my first buy into that field. I want that.
Old 01-06-13, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
W/ the X12 set...are those were all audio comes out of the headset?
All the 360 audio comes out of the headset. Even the dashboard swishes, which I never really noticed before. The audio also comes out of my home theater speakers. But I just mute the receiver, so that I only hear audio through the headset.
Old 01-13-13, 09:25 PM

Amazon has the Turtle Beach X12 on sale for $44.99 shipped. According to camelcamelcamel it usually stays around $50-$55.

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Gaming-H...dp/B005DQG0BO/
Old 01-13-13, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I need this to stay at that price till Thursday when I get paid.