Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metro: Last Light - Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts
Metro: Last Light - Genesis

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/unN8ItC_rQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It is the year 2034. Beneath the ruins of post-apocalyptic Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro, the remnants of mankind are besieged by deadly threats from outside – and within.

Mutants stalk the catacombs beneath the desolate surface, and hunt amidst the poisoned skies above. But rather than stand united, the station-cities of the Metro are locked in a struggle for the ultimate power, a doomsday device from the military vaults of D6. A civil war is stirring that could wipe humanity from the face of the earth forever. As Artyom, burdened by guilt but driven by hope, you hold the key to our survival – the last light in our darkest hour...

-----------

Looks pretty good. EDIT yes I now know Genesis isn't part of the game title, my bad.
Old 12-12-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Metro: Last Light - Genesis

Clicked on this thread thinking Sega was making a come back.
Old 03-01-13, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some uncertainty due to the THQ situation, this one now has an official release date (via Metro official page on Facebook):

.....Artyom? Artyom are you there?

There was an incident on the rails at THQ Station. Not to worry, we have rerouted you via Deep Silver Station. Your journey should now be back on track ... and it will be even more enjoyable, my friend. We are sending over information on your new travel plan shortly.

One last thing, Artyom. Beware the ...

[Static]

--

Metro: Last Light will be released on MAY 14 (North America) and MAY 17 (Rest of the world) on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

The extra time will go towards a final layer of polish, in order to provide fans of mature and atmospheric first-person shooters with the best possible single-player experience we can offer. We are working on details for pre-orders, and hope to have these available soon.

We are also working with Facebook to change the page name and the state of local pages for content in other languages.

Are your bodies ready to ENTER THE METRO?
Old 03-01-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

yay! too many games this month as it is.
Old 03-01-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It says May 14th, not March.
Old 03-01-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

and...
Old 05-13-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just watched the review at gametrailers where this got a very high score of 9.1. I forgot it was even coming out this month.
Old 05-13-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

The game's Hard Mode is a pre-order bonus DLC. Brilliant
Old 05-13-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Yep, and as an added insult it's "the way the game was meant to be played" according to the developers. Sounds good guys, I'll experience it in a couple of months when your game is half-price or less.
Old 05-14-13, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I haven't even played my copy of Metro. It'll be a while before I even purchase this one.
Old 05-14-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
For real? That is bullsheyot. DLC can be a good thing but moves like this are why it gets such a bad rap. On that premise alone I don't think I'll be picking this one up.
Old 05-14-13, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
For real? That is bullsheyot. DLC can be a good thing but moves like this are why it gets such a bad rap. On that premise alone I don't think I'll be picking this one up.
I went to Amazon to buy this game. This stupid DLC is the only reason why I did not buy it.
Old 05-15-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wtf? I'd rather support horse armor dlc...
Old 05-15-13, 03:50 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well ups lost my game from newegg...and newegg takes 7 to 10 days to process a lost package, and another 3 to 5 to ship out. So it is possible, even though I had this pre ordered almost a year ago, I might not get the "true" version. Fuck me right? Fuck me for buying a game before a discount...for not buying used..for not renting it?

Old 05-15-13, 10:24 PM
gamer for life

ran down and picked this up at gamestop..the game is really good so far.
Old 05-16-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

7.2 from IGN...hmm. Maybe a rental.
Old 05-16-13, 10:03 AM
gamer for life

and a 9.1 from gametrailers...
Old 05-16-13, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
well ups lost my game from newegg...and newegg takes 7 to 10 days to process a lost package, and another 3 to 5 to ship out. So it is possible, even though I had this pre ordered almost a year ago, I might not get the "true" version.
They lost my copy of Persona 4 Golden. They sent me another one a few weeks later, but I never got my Vita skin that was included with the original version. What's up with New Egg? I've bought over twenty times as much from Amazon and they've never lost a package en route.
Old 05-16-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Fuck me right?
Yep, fuck you.
Old 05-16-13, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, that gametrailers review made it sound/look really good.

I went looking for the first Metro game that I missed, and while it's available for download for $30, actual physical copies of it are going for $50-$100. Weird.
Old 05-16-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Metro: Last Light Devs 4A Games Endured Horrific Working Conditions, Says Ex-THQ President

Former THQ president Jason Rubin has revealed the tough working conditions 4A Games endured while working on Metro: Last Light, in a statement published on GamesIndustry.biz.

Rubin took over control at THQ towards the end of the publisher’s life, at a time when the writing was already on the wall. Within a matter of months the company had collapsed.

One of the studios Rubin oversaw during that period was Ukrainian outfit 4A Games, which was working on Metro: Last Light, a game subsequently picked up by Deep Silver.

Apparently, during development the studio endured power cuts, poor equipment, poor guidance from THQ and a small budget. They also had to smuggle dev kits and expensive tech into the country.

“It is unfortunate that Prof [Creative Director Andrew Prokhorov], Dean Sharpe, and the rest of the team at 4A won't receive appropriate credit for their achievement in releasing Metro: Last Light,” said Rubin.

“Let's be honest: 4A was never playing on a level field. The budget of Last Light is less than some of its competitors spend on cut scenes, a mere 10 percent of the budget of its biggest competitors. Yet it is lauded for its story and atmosphere.

“It is built on a completely original and proprietary second-generation engine that competes with sequels that have stopped numbering themselves, with more engineers on their tech than 4A has on the entire project. Yet its tech chops are never in question.

“And all of this is compounded by the conditions this Ukrainian team works under in Kiev. The entire 4A studio would fit easily in the (underutilized) gym at EA Los Angeles' offices. Yet Last Light's Metacritic score blows away Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

“As undeniably fantastic as competitor BioShock Infinite may be, the team was given whatever resources they needed to make the title. At the same time, 4A's staff sat on folding wedding chairs, literally elbow to elbow at card tables in what looks more like a packed grade school cafeteria than a development studio.

“When 4A needed another dev kit, or high-end PC, or whatever, someone from 4A had to fly to the States and sneak it back to the Ukraine in a backpack lest it be ‘seized’ at the border by thieving customs officials.”

According to Rubin, he even failed to buy some decent chairs for 4A, thanks to the unfortunate conditions in Ukraine.

“Our only option was to pack a truck in Poland and try to find an ‘expediter’ to help bribe its way down to Kiev,” he said.

“We gave up not because this tripled the cost, but because we realized that the wider Aeron chairs would require spreading out people and computers, which would lead to extra desks, and that ultimately would have required bigger offices. Yes, really.

“I truly enjoyed Far Cry 3, which deserved its great reviews. But how many times did Ubisoft Montreal lose power for hours or days during development? Power outages are the norm for 4A.

“Montreal is cold, but when it gets cold in Kiev it's different,” he continued. “That's because the government provides all of the heating through a central coal burning facility that pipes hot water to homes and offices. Unfortunately, it breaks down reliably a few times a year for a week at a time.

“Then 4A works in their parkas and struggles to keep their fingers warm in temperatures well below freezing. That is unless it snows and they get stuck home for a few days at a time because snow clearing isn't up to Western standards."

“The only thing for which 4A is getting more credit than I think they deserve is the creativity behind the ever frightening, dark, post apocalyptic environment of the game," said Rubin. "I've been in Kiev to visit the team, so I know they just stepped outside for reference.

“That last paragraph is a humorous exaggeration, of course, but there's truth behind the lie.

“One evening when Dean Sharpe arrived at his apartment after a long day at the office a dangerous looking Georgian man and his three-car armed entourage greeted him. Dean was told that, lease be damned, he had a day to clear out and find a new apartment.”

Rubin also pointed towards the “irrational requirements” of THQ, including instructing 4A to include a co-op and multiplayer mode in Last Light within the same small budget.

“If 4A had been given a more competitive budget, in a saner environment, hadn't wasted a year-plus chasing the irrational requirement of THQ's original producers to fit multiplayer and co-op into the same deadline and budget, hadn't had to deal with the transition to a new publisher in the crucial few months before final, what could 4A have created?

“I can only imagine, and I am looking forward to playing it.”

Rubin concluded by saying, “4A is to developers what the Jamaican Bobsledding team is to Olympic sport. The Jamaicans may not have won the gold in 1994, but they beat the Americans who had far more going for them... like winter coats and bobsledding tracks to train on.”

“It is a true testament to the raw skill and potential of the team. Ultimately, it is a desire for the recognition of 4A's talent that drove me to write this. You may know that I have a history of talking about developer recognition. These guys need recognition.”

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...President.html
Old 05-16-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Shit, I may buy the game just to support that stdio, although I'm afraid it'll all go to THQ. That bit about them forcing multi-player is maddening.
Old 05-16-13, 12:03 PM

Photo of the development team:

Old 05-16-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Shit, I may buy the game just to support that stdio, although I'm afraid it'll all go to THQ. That bit about them forcing multi-player is maddening.
Not to be a cynic, but the purpose of the sob-story was to get people to buy the game.
Old 05-16-13, 09:58 PM
gamer for life

well I keep going back and forth on this game. About 3 hours in I guess...maybe 4...and I am not having fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.