Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Good lord, Gizmo is as bad as Stu when Xbox gets a whiff of negativity and goes into defense mode.

Who said Nintendo is evil? I've bought every N console at launch and dozens upon dozens of games for every one of them. I got more play out of the WiiU last year than the 360, PS3/4 combined. Despite what Gizmo thinks, they are not above criticism.
Old 04-23-14, 11:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Who said Nintendo is evil?
The thread title, for one.

I think Nintendo is just a tad bit incompetent. Strange considering how they used to dominate the market.
Old 04-23-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

They designed the Wii U to what their own games were going to need. That's awesome for them, terrible for third parties and it shows. So I get the argument that if you're going to hinge your system on your first party titles, you sure as hell better bring your A game, which Nintendo hasn't, not yet, this gen. And I also get the love of Nintendo - as they are pretty distinctive, though their games have gotten more repetitive and less creative as of late - an issue that is not at all exclusive to Nintendo this gen. Also Pikmin is no (insert almost any other Nintendo franchise here).

I feel opposite on mobile gaming though, while there will always be certain games that cause a craze, it feels like it has peaked.
Old 04-23-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
They designed the Wii U to what their own games were going to need.
Arguably not even that, seeing as how Nintendo hasn't really figured out what to do with the gamepad.

Remember how Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed had local multiplayer without split-screen, with one person seeing the action on the gamepad and the other looking at the TV? Nintendo reportedly isn't doing that for Mario Kart 8, which is absolutely baffling.
Old 04-23-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I meant spec wise, but yes you are correct there.
Old 04-23-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I could see the gamepad being very useful for RPGs with item screens and maps. But that would require someone to actually make the games. ZombiU used it fairly well but I haven't seen anything since.
Old 04-23-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I liked the gamepad for both Splinter Cell and Deus Ex, as it made selecting weapons, mods and inventory items a breeze.
Old 04-23-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nintendo Land and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed use it the best in the games I've played. The Pictionary feature in Game and Wario is an obvious but appreciated application.

Generally, yeah, maps and inventory menus. It was great in Pikmin 3 to be able to click a map without having to go to a pause screen or mess with a thumbstick. Got to be second nature in Wind Waker HD. Lots of nice on-the-fly options in Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

There hasn't been a lot that makes it feel like a really new or especially useful experience, though. Convenient and kind of neat, sure, but nothing revolutionary. It's fine if that's a feature that's not taken advantage of all that much, but with that making up a sizeable chunk of the price tag and being a focal point of the marketing, the gamepad has been a pretty big misfire.
Old 04-25-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

the gamepad usage was great for Lego City Undercover
Old 04-25-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

In case anyone else has waited this long to pick up Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, it's currently $13.99 at Amazon.
Cheapest I've seen it so far.
Old 04-25-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Gamasutra has an article from a developer/contributor to the site about how Nintendo's corporate policy pretty much blocks direct communication and relations with their main Indie guy, unlike Microsoft and Sony.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/20721...indie_exec.php

And it would have, if Nintendo's corporate policy hadn't gotten in the way. Dan Adelman, the head of Nintendo's indie initiative, was not allowed to speak with us. This is the sort of corporate policy that perpetuates the stereotype that Nintendo doesn't work well with third parties, and is an emblem of Nintendo's reluctance to change and become more open as markets shift. As an indie developer, this is very troubling to me.
While indie relationships arent the end all for a console's success, it is kind of interesting to see how that sort of relationship has evolved with the other companies taking an active approach and Nintendo being more stubborn and maybe stuck in an old mentality for that sort of thing.
Old 04-27-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anybody that kept their Wii and has a hankering to to do so, LostWinds is finally available for transfer to the Wii U.
Old 04-29-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From this week's Meijer ad:

Old 04-29-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

PLAY NINTENDO: NEW GAMES, NEW EVENTS AND LIVE, NONSTOP PROGRAMMING ON TAP FOR E3 2014

Super Smash Bros. Tournament Highlights Nintendo’s E3 Approach

REDMOND, Wash., April 29, 2014 – Over the last few years, Nintendo has repeatedly reinvented its approach to E3 by creating unique ways to break news and get fans at home involved in the fun, while also offering great experiences for on-site attendees. That mission continues in 2014 as Nintendo offers a series of new channels to communicate news directly to its key audiences, including fans, media, analysts, investors and business partners. This includes a new format for unveiling news: the Nintendo Digital Event; a Super Smash Bros. tournament; a full slate of live, in-depth game demos from the Nintendo booth; and an opportunity for fans to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U for the first time at their local Best Buy.

"We demonstrated last year that we are never afraid to reinvent a proven tactic or to break completely new ground if we believe it will provide the best experience for our fans, followers and partners," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's president and chief operating officer. "So, whether you're attending E3 in person or joining online, there's an amazing lineup of games, experiences and events coming your way."

At E3 2014, Nintendo will offer four unique experiences, all under the unifying banner of "Play Nintendo."

Super Smash Bros. Invitational
2014 will see the arrival of not one, but two new Super Smash Bros. games: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is inviting 16 highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to compete in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tournament. Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time. More important than declaring a winner, however, this event is a celebration of all things Super Smash Bros., and a great way for new and veteran fans to take part in a tribute to this legendary franchise. More information about the 16 invited participants in the tournament, the identity of the announcers, and how fans of the franchise can view the tournament in person and via webcast, will be communicated shortly.

Nintendo Digital Event
Every year, Nintendo looks for the best way to show its games and share its news with fans, media and other key audiences. In 2013, Nintendo decided to forgo a traditional press conference and use a video – in that case a Nintendo Direct – to share its news from E3. The company is building on that approach at E3 2014 with the "Nintendo Digital Event," a new kind of video program that will reveal and provide further detail about the gaming experiences on the way for Nintendo platforms in 2014 and beyond. The Nintendo Digital Event will air at 9 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 10.

Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3
This year, Nintendo will offer fans a deeper look at Nintendo's biggest games of E3, with information directly from the source. The "Treehouse," the Product Development department at Nintendo of America, will provide in-depth game demos live and unscripted from Nintendo's booth. This new program will be live streamed during all hours of the E3 show. Fans can get settled in, open their browsers and experience the Nintendo games at E3 like never before.

Super Smash Bros. Smash Fest @ Best Buy
In 2013, Nintendo broke new ground by expanding its E3 activities outside of the walls of the Los Angeles Convention Center and letting fans play some of the games being played on the show floor at participating Best Buy stores. The partnership between Nintendo and Best Buy continues in 2014 and will mark the first time around the world that fans have had the opportunity to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

More details about each event, including dates, times, locations and game content will be revealed shortly. To follow all of Nintendo's E3 activities, keep an eye on Nintendo's Facebook page, Twitter feed and YouTube channel. Or visit http://e3.nintendo.com.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ghEhI4CJjAM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-30-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Mario Kart 8 Direct:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JbuJZP0_8iQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zWQK60V9KTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bundle announced -- Wii U Deluxe, MK8, wheel, wiimote plus for $329. Image below:
Spoiler:

If you buy the bundle or if you buy MK8 separately, and if you register it with Club Nintendo before 7/31, you can get a free game too!

- Pikmin 3
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- Wii Party U
(I already have the first 3, but I'll take a free Wii Party U!) Europe gets a more extensive selection of games for some reason.

12 person online multiplayer and "Mario Kart TV" (sharing/viewing videos online) also confirmed.
Old 04-30-14, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Buy MK8 and get a free Wii U is pretty cool. I already own WW Digitally, so I'll probably grab Pikmin 3 and sell my retail copy.
Old 04-30-14, 09:45 AM
Suspended

I don't really care for the anti-gravity thing....too much is going on. The new items are cool. Shame no Bowser Jr or Diddy Kong.

Really hate all the damn babies. They seem like waste of characters (same goings for the Koopa Kids, but at least they are not already represented by adult versions like the babies)
Old 05-01-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you buy MK8 online (through the Wii U store), can you still get a free game? I dont want to dont want to deal with the disk but would like Pikmin 3
Old 05-01-14, 03:46 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
If you buy MK8 online (through the Wii U store), can you still get a free game? I dont want to dont want to deal with the disk but would like Pikmin 3
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/det...B0Lf3N9Jb2VtRt

if you buy Mario Kart 8 for Wii U and register it with Club Nintendo between May 30, 2014 and July 31, 2014, you can receive a free download code for one of these great Wii U games:

New Super Mario Bros.™ U
Pikmin™ 3
The Legend of Zelda™: The Wind Waker HD
Wii Party™ U

You can purchase Mario Kart 8 as packaged game, digital download, or as part of the Mario Kart 8 Wii U Deluxe Set bundle to qualify for the offer.
Old 05-01-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool, thanks for finding that.

my kids are still playing Mart Kart from the Wii (MK7?) so i'll be glad when a new one is out
Old 05-01-14, 04:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll get MK8 and Pikmin 3.
Old 05-01-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This deal is finally getting me to jump on board to the Wii U. Pre-ordered Mario Kart, now need to find a deal on one of the console bundles.
Old 05-01-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDChris
This deal is finally getting me to jump on board to the Wii U.
Now if there were only about another 100 million people like you!
Old 05-01-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Haven't enjoyed MK since Double Dash, but $48 with GCU + $10 Gas card at Best Buy, plus a digital copy of Pikmin(so I don't have to deal with the disc) is damn tempting.
Old 05-01-14, 10:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Haven't enjoyed MK since Double Dash, but $48 with GCU + $10 Gas card at Best Buy, plus a digital copy of Pikmin(so I don't have to deal with the disc) is damn tempting.
Same. Loved DD but didn't care much for the Wii version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.