Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Motion controls downright unusable in it, imo.

But like TP, it already works on the Wii U so I don't anticipate that.

A new Mario Galaxy, a new Zelda in a new world, etc; would be nice, or some new titles altogether.
Old 09-09-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
HD Zelda II?
Probably as likely as HD Crystalis, HD Guardian Legend, and HD Battle of Olympus
Old 09-09-13, 10:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a new Zelda game instead of constant updates?
Old 09-09-13, 10:35 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
How about a new Zelda game instead of constant updates?
2014 apparently.

We just got one 2 years ago.
Old 09-09-13, 10:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay, but I would be highly disappointed if Nintendo spent their time doing remakes of games that are still playable on the current system. Give us a new IP instead or something.
Old 09-09-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I wish they could miraculously bring Blast Corps back though (and a new Waverace)
New Waverace would be day one for me. Rare/MS has Blast Corps. though. Not gonna happen on a Nintendo console.

I'd have to assume with the console priced at $300 - $350, quite a few owners were around for the Gamecube days.
Exactly. All the early adopters that dropped $350 on the console more than likely already played Wind Waker.

Also, how is it we can get HD remakes of BG&E, Ratchet games, God of War(s), Oddworld's, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Halo: Anniversary, Prince of Persia(s), plus any of three dozen other HD remakes/updates all for $10-$30, but Zelda(which probably took minimal upgrading) is $50?

Wind Waker is a sub $30 remake just like the others. Maybe $40 at launch just to squeeze every last dime out of their audience. $50?
Old 09-09-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To its credit, Wind Waker HD looks like a next-gen title with choice artistic decisions, not just a PS2/Xbox/GC game with the resolution cranked up as is the case with some of those other titles. It looks like Nintendo went in and properly updated the textures, making Wind Waker a particularly wise choice to update since it has such a minimalist look to begin with. Also added HDR lighting, and some nice general visual touches.

I still agree though, this should have been a $29.99 title, $39.99 tops.
Old 09-09-13, 11:20 AM
Suspended

History shows people will pay full pop for a Nintendo port. WW is much more than a simple port and its $10 less.

I don't think the price will deter people.

Though the digital should be $10 cheaper then retail.
Old 09-09-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What other Nintendo games have been re-released for $50?
Old 09-09-13, 12:40 PM
Suspended

What other Nintendo games have been re-released for $50?
I was mainly talking 3DS and DS.

Both handhelds rereleased Nintendo titles with little work at full price (comparing to other brand new releases). All the Mario GBA titles, Mario 64, zelda OOT etc.
Old 09-09-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Still more appropriately priced when considering the content alone.

IMO again.
Old 09-11-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/471...-games-as-well

Looks like Nintendo tested other Zelda remakes before deciding on Wind Waker.
Old 09-11-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After being on the fence about even getting a Wii U, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Zelda bundle.

I was planning on just getting a PS4, but after seeing the launch titles, the fact that it's not PS3 game compatible (and that I have 20+ unplayed PS3 games), 10+ unplayed Wii games and the fact that the DVD drive on my Wii is broken, it would seem that I should put the PS4 on hold and go get the Wii U.
Old 09-11-13, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Zelda bundle looks pretty slick. Even comes with the 10% digital promotion.

If moving stuff over was easy on Wii U I would purchase this bundle.
Old 09-11-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Zelda bundle looks pretty slick. Even comes with the 10% digital promotion.

If moving stuff over was easy on Wii U I would purchase this bundle.
But the 10% off still stops in 2014, right?

I thought there'd be tons of things to buy to get that 10% in points, but the WiiU digital store is still utterly disappointing. Only thing I bought besides cheap NES games is Pokemon Rumble...
Old 09-11-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
But the 10% off still stops in 2014, right?

I thought there'd be tons of things to buy to get that 10% in points, but the WiiU digital store is still utterly disappointing. Only thing I bought besides cheap NES games is Pokemon Rumble...
Yeah, that 10% bonus should last until next gen. I think I've spent about $10 so far...
Old 09-11-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Nazgul
After being on the fence about even getting a Wii U, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Zelda bundle.

I was planning on just getting a PS4, but after seeing the launch titles, the fact that it's not PS3 game compatible (and that I have 20+ unplayed PS3 games), 10+ unplayed Wii games and the fact that the DVD drive on my Wii is broken, it would seem that I should put the PS4 on hold and go get the Wii U.
Oh, dearl Lord... don't do it. From someone who owns every system and has the PS4 on pre-order (and the X1)... just stay the course. My kids love the Wii U, but I just can't bring myself to get into anything beyond a little bit of Mario.
Old 09-11-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I disagree and I'm not nearly the fanatic losingmymind or gizmo are. I've played more WiiU the last couple months than my 360. Sonic Racing* shits all over Mario Kart. Pikmin is a blast. Rayman is the definitive version and I like the gamepad stuff. Bought DuckTales for WiiU for the remote play and superior digital pad(which goes for Rayman as well). Still need to grab Luigi. Zelda is prime price drop material down the line. Plus a new 3D Mario this year? That's a decent lineup. Along with those you have the launch window games like Mario, Nintendoland**, Zombieland & LEGO Undercover. That's nearly a dozen solid titles. I'm not sure what 3rd party titles are in the pipeline this year though. Like the Wii, the WiiU will be a great complimentary system to either the PS4 or X1.

*but is multiplatform. Multiplayer on the gamepad is better than splitscreen if you play MP.
**YMMV on enjoyment with this one
Old 09-11-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob V
Oh, dearl Lord... don't do it. From someone who owns every system and has the PS4 on pre-order (and the X1)... just stay the course. My kids love the Wii U, but I just can't bring myself to get into anything beyond a little bit of Mario.
I've looked at the launch titles for the PS4 and other than FIFA14 (Mild Interest), I'm not seeing any 'must-have' games. if MGS5 was a launch day title, I might be thinking differently.

As it is, I have quite a few Wii titles not complete or even started. The DVD drive is broken and I've seen replacement drives in the $50 range, not to mention the plethora of screws needed to remove it. I'm just not sure fixing my Wii is worth it.
Old 09-12-13, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I think you'll be happy with that decision. The Wii U is finally hitting its stride as far as compelling new releases go, and between what's out now and what'll be out by the end of the year, you'll have more first-class games than you'll probably have time to play. FWIW, in less than a year, I've picked up as many games for the Wii U as I had for the entire lifespan of the Wii, and I'm really happy with just about all of them.

There are downsides, to be sure, but you'll have a blast. Enjoy the Wii U now that it has a price drop and is pretty well established, and grab a PS4 or XB1 once those consoles have had a price drop or at least more must-have games have rolled off the line. I'm geeky enough to have both of those coming in November, and I wouldn't be surprised if I play the Wii U as much, if not more, as either of the next-next-gen consoles as 2013 winds down.
Old 09-12-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd personally wait, the catalog is still pretty poor and another price drop is pretty imminent by mid-2014 when there's actually some titles worth owning on the console. NSMB U and Pikmin 3 are solid rentals, but I'm still not sure of any game that is an outright "must own" on the console.

But, if you do have Wii titles left to play it may be worth it, especially if they're the JRPGs that came out of the last few years. I have horrible luck with my Wii on my setup (namely audio interference), and the Wii U did resolve that. But it's tough to say if it's worth $260 more than a used Wii.
Old 09-12-13, 09:46 AM
Suspended

I'd personally wait, the catalog is still pretty poor and another price drop is pretty imminent by mid-2014 when there's actually some titles worth owning on the console. NSMB U and Pikmin 3 are solid rentals, but I'm still not sure of any game that is an outright "must own" on the console.

But, if you do have Wii titles left to play it may be worth it, especially if they're the JRPGs that came out of the last few years.
You're not paying attention to the catalog if you think it's poor.

New Mario (+ Luigi DLC), Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Lego City, Monster Hunter so far... Zelda, Mario World, Sonic, Donkey Kong by the end of the year.

FYI - A price drop for the PS4 and Xbox One is likely in 2014 as well. It's the case with most consoles a year after launch.
Old 09-12-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo
You're not paying attention to the catalog if you think it's poor.

New Mario (+ Luigi DLC), Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Lego City, Monster Hunter so far... Zelda, Mario World, Sonic, Donkey Kong by the end of the year.

FYI - A price drop for the PS4 and Xbox One is likely in 2014 as well. It's the case with most consoles a year after launch.
You really didn't make your case there, though I didn't play Lego City and Sonic does look good.

NSMB U was more of a rehash than an annual CoD release, Pikmin was fun but nothing terribly special, Wonderful 101 looks to be disappointing (but this is judging off a demo), Monster Hunter tired. Zelda is a remake of one of the weaker entries, DKC just doesn't look all that good to me, especially with titles like Rayman Legends available.

Mario 3D World will probably be decent-good. It's all a matter of taste, and frankly most of these titles seem like Nintendo is half-assing it just so people have something to play while the AAA titles are being made.

FWIW - the same can be said of the other next-gen consoles, there's no real reason to own either of them for a good long while yet outside of being able to say you have one and more polished graphics on the same damn games.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-12-13 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Anyone see any recent news about TiVo integration?

All I can find is: “We’re working hard with TiVo to integrate their services into Nintendo TVii. At this point, the integration work is still in progress. We do not yet have a launch date, but we will be sure to keep everyone posted.”

That was back in April according to an article google pulled up.
Old 09-12-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Does anyone actually use Nintendo TVii here? I'm not even sure what it's used for, and how it would integrate meaningfully with Tivo...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.