re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

It certainly seems that way.
Old 11-20-12, 02:25 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I think if I could actually open the system and try it out I would feel less buyers remorse than I do at this moment. I think the comment a few posts above about ignoring reviewers is key to me feeling better about this system. I think everyone is entitled to like or dislike a game and as someone that rents so many game not every game I play is something I had to spend 60.00 on and therefore if it sucks it can be sent right back to GameFly. The problem with these reviewers is their comments about the actual Wii U system. It's been out less than a week and people are just ripping it apart on their various sites I visit. These are people I want to avoid. Will this system continue to expand and grow like the 360 has in 7 years? Who knows....but trying to make that call for the Wii U when it is so early in the life cycle of the system is irresponsible for these game journalists. Arthur Gies at Polygon.com is probably someone I'll have to unfollow on Twitter because of shit like this. The guy normally comes off a bit pretentious on the podcast he does but he's become an insufferable prick since this launch. Maybe he'll mellow out here soon.

Why the buyer's remorse? As long as you can afford the system I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had no clue who this polygon.com guy you were talking about is.....is this him? http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/18/3660470/wii-u-review

Yeah, if you read this review it certainly doesn't sound like the Wii-U is going to be a successful system. The whole "not knowing how to properly use the new technology" makes me think of the good ole' kinect. Just slapping some games together that get you swinging your arms just didn't cut it with the kinect. I am wondering if game developers are excited about using Wii-u's new hand-held gamepad tech or if they are aggravated that they have to find some way to use it.

Hopefully the game developers will come up with some innovative and fun ways to use the gamepad other than just inventory management or map navigating. Otherwise you are just playing a HD Wii.

Once the new MS and Sony systems are announced and we see the tech, we will get a better idea of how the Wii-U will fair. If they are not all that more advanced then the Wii-U will probably be alright, but if they blow it out of the water -- the wii-u could be in trouble.
Old 11-20-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup that is his site and review. I'm sure I'll get lots of enjoyment out of this system. I really only use my PS3 as a blu-ray player but I consider it a wise investment as the price I paid since it has never had a problem playing a movie.

It'll just take time to build a library of games and features on the console. We are looking at the PS3 which added Move and the 360 which added Kinect and so many people want the Wii U to compete with that kind of progress. Not going to happen for a long time if at all.
Old 11-20-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

But that's what I mean about the early reviews. People don't care about the future; if the technology takes off and it becomes a viable system later, it'll be in ample supply and probably at a cheaper cost for an upgraded model. Why should people buy it now? And if it doesn't offer a significant upgrade to what's currently out there, then people want to know that too.

And hey, I'm an early adopter who's fine with my purchase, but I can understand the criticism.
Old 11-20-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Is anyone else annoyed with the scrolling in the eshop? The disadvantages of the type of screen show there more than anywhere else so far. It's easy to see the difference between it and a capacative screen.
Old 11-20-12, 06:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm guessing the strategy is to sell an overpriced "extended life" battery that fully fits in that space.
As soon as I saw that photo, my first thought was, "Well it won't take long for Nyko to fill that hole..."

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think it rightfully should. Off all Nintendo consoles, this one shouldn't get a pass just because it's new. I keep reading praise for CoD or Batman looking just as good (or a tad better) as the other two systems... to me that's a big WTF? Those systems are 6-7 years old. Congrats on matching 2005 tech. This system should look significantly better on day 1.
I'm not saying it should get a pass. The criticisms are valid and I hope that Nintendo addresses as many as they can. But I also remember plenty of complaints about the 360 and the PS3 when they launched.

As for the games looking as good as the existing consoles, let's remember that these are launch titles. They're not going to be the best the system can do. The fact that the Wii U can do latency-free streaming to the gamepad (and eventually two supposedly) should show that this thing has more processing power than its competitors. But developers making ports at launch aren't going to redesign the whole game from scratch just to take advantage of the Wii's processing power.

So, no, don't give it a pass, but don't treat it like it's a complete failure on day one, either. The 360 and the PS3 both took time to hit their stride.
Old 11-20-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I love this ZombiU so much! I just started playing it, but it has already won me over and I'm barely into it. It is so incredibly tense with a fear constantly hanging over you over what is around each and every corner. I don't care how the rest of the game is as long as that sense of dread remains, which I certainly have heard that it does. Some of those reviews were just flat out ridiculous. They are even more hilarious to me now. Insane.

I started the game, playing for the first time, in survival mode. I really shouldn't have done that, but it has made it even that much MORE intense.

I also think it's great how they are changing the different messages in the game...

Last edited by Brent L; 11-20-12 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is cool
Old 11-20-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, the GiantBomb review is finally out. They scored it a 4/5...

http://www.giantbomb.com/zombiu/61-35619/reviews/

All of these words later, and I've somehow said nothing about how damn scary ZombiU is. I played Amnesia: The Dark Descent this year, and ZombiU gave that one a run for its money. You feel alone in ZombiU, often fighting and scavenging in total darkness. Your flashlight provides little useful illumination, and the moments where it runs out, forcing you to recharge while a zombie shuffles towards you, are paralyzing. The 30 minutes I spent in a nursery are some of the most memorable time I've spent with a horror game or movie, punctuated by a jump scare that literally took my breath away. Survival horror fans disenchanted with the direction Capcom's taken the Resident Evil series will find much to love in ZombiU, and anybody looking for a quality launch title with deep, rewarding mechanics are encouraged to see what Ubisoft--yes, Ubisoft-has created.
Old 11-20-12, 07:58 PM
Banned by request

Very nice. I look forward to trying it out.
Old 11-20-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome, Hulu+ just went live finally. I sure didn't expect that tonight.

This system is going to fall into place soon, I'm totally all in. I'm having a ball with it.
Old 11-20-12, 09:42 PM
Banned by request

Does Hulu+ use the gamepad in any meaningful way? I'm disappointed you can't browse movies using the gamepad for Netflix.
Old 11-20-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I going to cancel my TRU pre order for the deluxe model. Just not interested in this right now. Plenty of good games still to come on the 360. I'm sure this will just end up collecting dust like my current Wii.
Old 11-21-12, 12:14 AM

I was surprised to still see both versions still on sale at my local Walmart. I think I'll get one eventually, probably smart to just hold off for a little while though.
Old 11-21-12, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

walmart has Lego City Undercover for 49.96 which is roughly $10 cheaper than everywhere else.
Old 11-21-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
From what I've read, it erases the original Wii console.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/07/wi...fer-explained/
Wow. That's fairly idiotic. I know it's apples and oranges but even Apple allows you to keep your shit on more than one damn device in this day and age. There are parallels between Nintendo and Apple's models, but Nintendo fucking takes the cake.
Old 11-21-12, 07:34 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Brent L
Also, the GiantBomb review is finally out. They scored it a 4/5...

http://www.giantbomb.com/zombiu/61-35619/reviews/

i like Giant Bomb. They are one of the few review sites that have honest reviews. They aren't paid off like some of the others. Jeff Gerstman the founder of Giant Bomb was fired from Gamespot for giving Kane and Lynch a poor review. I know that is probably old news, but some folks here may not know.

on another note, some here are wondering about the "insides" of the wii-u. The developer for the game Metro gives some insight on the CPU

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1687689...light_dev.html

could the guy be exaggerating? maybe...who knows?

Last edited by wlj; 11-21-12 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-21-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
I was surprised to still see both versions still on sale at my local Walmart. I think I'll get one eventually, probably smart to just hold off for a little while though.
Same here. I just checked online and all of the walmarts in my area have them in stock.

I really want to get one but I will probably wait until after the new year. Big stack of unplayed games with at least three more games I want to get before January, and I'd only be buying the Wii U for ZombiU right now anyway.

Still, the vita is going up on Craigslist today so after that sells (if it sells) then I might just pick one of these up when I see it on the shelves.
Old 11-21-12, 08:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Same here. I just checked online and all of the walmarts in my area have them in stock.
Ouch. I think this thing will end up being a nice fit on my shelf next to the Virtual Boy.
Old 11-21-12, 09:01 AM
wlj

Ouch. I think this thing will end up being a nice fit on my shelf next to the Virtual Boy.

There are still Wii-Us in stock at my local walmart. I am quite shocked. I almost bought one to make a "profit" on ebay in a few weeks, but I don't think I would make much of one to be worth the trouble.

I think most people who were crazy over the original Wii lost interest in it rather quickly and they see the same thing happening with the Wii-U -- so they aren't buying it.

If it isn't selling like crazy now, it doesn't bode well. Almost everything at launch flies off the shelves.
Old 11-21-12, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Huh?

It's likely already sold 10-20x that of the Virtual Boy and has support from numerous game studios. Give it a few more days until all the parents go Holiday shopping. What you are seeing is mostly canceled pre-orders and/or returned stock from people who can't make much of a profit.
Old 11-21-12, 09:21 AM
Suspended

I'm very happy with my Wii U. I picked up a few games which are all pretty good (been mostly playing Mario and Sonic Racing) and I love the off-TV Play.

At this point, I'll probably be skipping the rest of the generation consoles (wasn't planning on getting a PS4, but an Xbox 3 was possible), and just stick with the Wii U. A Year jump start and third party support means I don't need an Xbox to play those games that were multi-consoles (i.e. 360/PS3). I fully expect most studios to support all three consoles....which means I need only one. I have yet to use my Pro Controller though (don't have a game that supports it).

If anyone wants to add me, my ID is "Gremlin".
Old 11-21-12, 09:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I think it rightfully should. Off all Nintendo consoles, this one shouldn't get a pass just because it's new. I keep reading praise for CoD or Batman looking just as good (or a tad better) as the other two systems... to me that's a big WTF? Those systems are 6-7 years old. Congrats on matching 2005 tech. This system should look significantly better on day 1.

/rant
Why would a Wii U game look better than a game for a system that's been out for 6+ years? Did you even see any games from the Xbox 360 or PS3 launch? It takes time for developers to fully utilize all the tech inside a console.
Old 11-21-12, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lopper
FYI - Wal-mart has to hold any and all layaway orders for apparently 30-60 days. So "in stock" can mean "not on the sales floor". The online trackers don't take that into account. My Target shows "in stock" but they have ZERO on the floor. They do have 4 under the counter, on hold.
Old 11-21-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still wanted to take advantage of TRU B1G1 40% off. Still planning on ZombiU... but what else? Scribblenauts? Anyone playing Darksiders II? How's the port? Use of the GamePad?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.