Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

shoot, only Gamestop?
Old 07-18-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
I am hoping it sucks so I don't have to buy the figures. Disney Infinity comes out a few weeks before that and swapforce in Oct. Way too many figures to buy as it is!
Old 07-18-13, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Earthbound is showing up on the UK and US Nintendo site as being released today for $9.99.

This has to be an error...right?

UK Store

Last edited by Gizmo; 07-18-13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-18-13, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Pokemon Rumble U was announced for North America today, with a release date of August 29. It is an eshop only release and priced at $17.99 The figures for use with the game will be available at Gamestop. Figures cost $3.99 and are blind boxed.
I figured an eShop only release, but figures only at GameStop? Lame.

Guess there goes $40...
Old 07-18-13, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Earthbound is showing up on the UK and US Nintendo site as being released today for $9.99.

This has to be an error...right?
how much do they usually charge for snes games?
Old 07-18-13, 09:28 AM

Damn I completely missed the part where the pokemon rumble figures were going to be blind boxed. That's going to suck if it ends up being a good game...
Old 07-18-13, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Krayzie
how much do they usually charge for snes games?
It's showing up as $9.99.

Today is the first day of Comic Con...so it could be real. Figured they would do more build-up towards it, but maybe Nintendo is going to announce a new Smash Bros fighter from the Earthbound Universe?

Fuck, I don't care. I'd love to play this game again before Mario and Luigi comes out next month (and Pikmin).
Old 07-18-13, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Damn I completely missed the part where the pokemon rumble figures were going to be blind boxed. That's going to suck if it ends up being a good game...
I don't think they were blind-boxed in Japan (looking at eBay, these come in colored round balls...so the colors would signify each Pokemon?)

They look pretty cool. So at $3.99, even if I end up with a few duplicates, I'll just put them on my desk or give them away. At least they are not $10 like Skylanders (However these are a lot less detailed).

Disney Infinity are pretty expensive though, right? Thought I saw a $12.99 MSRP somewhere.
Old 07-18-13, 09:34 AM
Suspended

That is a cool set. You better make sure that you pre-order it, if you really want it. I imagine that even with the high price tag, the set will sell out quickly.
Looking over that, Ocarina 3D and Wind Waker are both new. I don't think either of these have ever been released in this form. I have the other 4, so I will quickly sell them (they seem to sell for quite a bit, so I likely won't lose any money).
Old 07-18-13, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Nintendo "Mini" Direct

Features both Wii U and 3DS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLWBc...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-18-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I don't think they were blind-boxed in Japan (looking at eBay, these come in colored round balls...so the colors would signify each Pokemon?)
It's sort of the same effect at the end of the day. They were packaged in those round balls, but from what I've read, they were dispensed in oversized gumball machines. I don't think you could choose a figure over there specifically either (unless their gumball machine toy mojo is better than mine, anyway). So, same idea, different mechanism.

These figures definitely look neat. If you're not gonna be really detailed, a stylized, polygonal look is a good way to go. A bit of a drag that they're so much more expensive over here. They were ~$2 a pop in Japan.

Disney Infinity are pretty expensive though, right? Thought I saw a $12.99 MSRP somewhere.
Yup, $12.99, sort of halfway in between a regular Skylanders figure and one of the Giants.
Old 07-18-13, 10:18 AM
Suspended

Earthbound is TODAY.

Mini Direct shows it!
Old 07-18-13, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Plus the Original Guide is available to view online or on the GamePad.
Old 07-18-13, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's sort of the same effect at the end of the day. They were packaged in those round balls, but from what I've read, they were dispensed in oversized gumball machines. I don't think you could choose a figure over there specifically either (unless their gumball machine toy mojo is better than mine, anyway). So, same idea, different mechanism.

These figures definitely look neat. If you're not gonna be really detailed, a stylized, polygonal look is a good way to go. A bit of a drag that they're so much more expensive over here. They were ~$2 a pop in Japan.
Ok, so still a "blind box" in a way.

$4 is OK for me. I wish they would sell them in 'Waves' so I could just buy them at once...but I'll survive. $4 and getting a few duplicates what break my wallet.

Yup, $12.99, sort of halfway in between a regular Skylanders figure and one of the Giants.
From what I've seen, the Infinity figures don't look as detailed as the original Skylander ones though. Maybe we'll get a closer look at Comic Con this week.
Old 07-18-13, 02:37 PM
Suspended

Blah. I'd go digital if it was 20-25% less. Getting it a day early isn't much of an incentive.
Old 07-18-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Same. Put it up today and I might bite. The day before I can own a physical copy for the same price? Pass.
Old 07-18-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Looking over that, Ocarina 3D and Wind Waker are both new. I don't think either of these have ever been released in this form. I have the other 4, so I will quickly sell them (they seem to sell for quite a bit, so I likely won't lose any money).
Only one of them is new (though I don't know which one, and some will be updated). Also, apparently these don't come with the extras from the originals (like cloth maps).

I'm curious, though, are you getting them just because you're a gigantic Zelda fan, or do you actually want the guides? Still seems super pricey for a bunch of Prima guides.
Old 07-18-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Pkiman event is close to me. I'll probably go and heck the game out.
Old 07-18-13, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm one of a few excited to get a Wii U, but with Earthbound being release...the incentives are just being piled on.
Old 07-19-13, 06:10 AM

Ok, so still a "blind box" in a way.

$4 is OK for me. I wish they would sell them in 'Waves' so I could just buy them at once...but I'll survive. $4 and getting a few duplicates what break my wallet.
I think it depends on how many duplicates you end up with before making a set! I know when I used to collect those tomy gacha toys, it was cheaper just to buy a set on ebay as I would always get a ton of dupes... Hopefully nintendo will have some sort of code printed on each package that the community will be able to decipher to figure out what codes belong to what figures. IE similar to Mega Block blind packs.

According to that Nintendo Direct, if you pre-purchase a digital copy of Pikmin 3 from Gamestop, you can download the game a day before release.

And the game must be pre-purchased this weekend while they're doing their Pikmin 3 event.
They need to come up with better digital promos...
Old 07-19-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

So I hate being optimistic, but.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...hardware_sales
Old 07-19-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Saw that. Japan likes quirky games. I still don't think Pikmin will make much of a dent over here.
Old 07-19-13, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Pikmin might not make much of a dent, but with Mario, Zelda (a remake of a 10 year old game many didn't play) also known as the BEST GAME EVER MADE) etc. coming this year those WILL help. Plus we have Luigi (on Disc) which could boost sales a bit.

100k (physical) copies is pretty good. I imagine 20-30% probably opted for the download version so that would boost the number. According to VGChartz, Pikmin did 560k over it's entire lifespan on the GameCube (and was a launch title or close to it IIRC) so almost 100k in a weekend seems pretty damn good to me.
Old 07-19-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I don't see the disc version of Luigi boosting sales at all, but then again Minecraft sold like gangbusters on disc. What Mario game is coming out this year?

If it were 20% download rate there would be a lot of articles written about it, 20,000 digital copies of a retail game is a huge number. It's probably closer to 5%.

Wind Waker was a beautifully realized game world, but I hated the actual game, it was always more tedious than fun.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-19-13 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-19-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've maintained that all along Gizmo. Pikmin is a "stable" game. Few will buy a console for Pikmin(like myself), but put it in a lineup with Mario, Zelda & Rayman and it helps the whole library look more attractive to buyers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.