Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The kid has it figured out, I'm the one getting my butt kicked.
You can also edit your controls by profile. Remember there are smash attacks and tilts. You can set tilts to be done via the c-stick (I play with a gamecube controller cause I am a Melee whore).

In Sm4sh I am a Pikachu main. To give you example of what high level play looks like, check out this VoD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMewsuWZ10
Old 12-31-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,427 Likes on 1,042 Posts

So I played again last night, now keep in mind my kid has been on winter break so he can get in tons of practice, but I altered my strategy.

Remember that episode of Star Trek TNG where Data is playing that video game with the strategy guy and the first time he loses, but the second time he plays him to a draw? I changed my strategy in similar way to Data in Smash to one of getting in a few punches then jumping out of the way - not playing to win, but playing *not to lose*.

After a few rounds of winning like this, my son was ready to play another game for a while...
Old 01-05-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Nintendo Network Will Be Down For Maintenance On January 11th.

Nintendo has today confirmed that the Nintendo Network will be down on Monday, January 11th. This time the service will be down for maintenance for ten hours which is clearly a substantial amount of time. The company says that “some network services may become unavailable,” these include Online Play and Rankings. Here’s the times and dates:

•North America: From Monday, January 11 at 5pm Pacific / 8pm Eastern until Tuesday, January 12 at 3am Pacific / 6am Eastern.
•Europe: From Tuesday, 12 January at 1am UK / 2am CET to Tuesday, 12 January 11am UK / 12pm CET.

http://mynintendonews.com/2016/01/05...edium=facebook
Old 01-05-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

14 Things Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima Told Us

http://time.com/4131306/nintendo-kimishima-interview/
Old 01-05-16, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

“And so we want to increase the frequency with which they encounter our IP, whether that’s through theme parks, or merchandize with our IP, or just images and visual interactions with Nintendo IP.”
Something struck me while wrapping countless kids' gifts, even Nintendo gifts. Why is there no Nintendo/Mario-Christmas themed wrapping paper, bags, holiday stuff, etc.? Seems like a no brainer.
Old 01-11-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Something struck me while wrapping countless kids' gifts, even Nintendo gifts. Why is there no Nintendo/Mario-Christmas themed wrapping paper, bags, holiday stuff, etc.? Seems like a no brainer.
I remember back in the 80s/90s there were more *things* with Mario branding and what not, but even today there's still plenty of t-shirts and such you can find.

The problem with putting it on wrapping paper, etc is that you can cheapen the brand. And their reluctance to put Nintendo IPs on mobile games is probably part of that same thinking, though I'd argue they're not understanding the penetration of mobile gaming.

Using my kid as an example again, we have a WiiU, PS3 and my wife runs a Steam box on our TV, and my son plays on them all - but the majority of his gaming is on either the iPad or one of the iPhones because he's in the car a lot (we homeschool, but my wife takes him to classes/events throughout the week).

Nintendo has totally dropped the ball in this respect. It's one thing to say you don't want to just dump straight ports of your games on handheld, but to complete withhold the IPs from new types of mobile games was just poor planning.
Old 01-11-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,246 Posts

It's one thing to say you don't want to just dump straight ports of your games on handheld, but to complete withhold the IPs from new types of mobile games was just poor planning.
Nintendo has said that they want to use mobile to promote their IPs and that no character/property is off the table (including Mario!). It's just that we only know about one title in the pipeline.

They've also talked about being more aggressive with licensing.
Old 01-11-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I remember back in the 80s/90s there were more *things* with Mario branding and what not, but even today there's still plenty of t-shirts and such you can find.

The problem with putting it on wrapping paper, etc is that you can cheapen the brand. And their reluctance to put Nintendo IPs on mobile games is probably part of that same thinking, though I'd argue they're not understanding the penetration of mobile gaming.
Nonsense. Did Guardians of the Galaxy brand take a hit from wrapping paper? Did Star Wars take a hit for having SW branded make up? Of course not, it's all part of marketing. Anything is fair game.

If they're so worried about cheapening the brand they'd give Mario Party and Mario sports titles a rest. Honestly I'd rather see some Mario wrapping paper than another Mario Party game.
Old 01-11-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,547 Posts

I don't think it's about cheapening the brand (unless there's some article out there or something). Nintendo has actually loosened the reigns quite a bit; we have Mario playsets and plushes and t-shirts, and Japanese figures galore. They license their brand out for all kinds of stuff, though it's probably easier to sell stuff like wrapping paper for something that's just had a big movie come out.

I thought the mobile decision was more trying to keep their IPs exclusive to their own branded consoles and not to what they consider the competition. As others have said, they've made a concerted effort to lift this, starting with Pokemon, and with their announced partnership with DeNA.
Old 01-11-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As long as a Nintendo branded mobile title is as solid as their retail releases I think they'll be fine.
Old 01-11-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly I'd rather slam my head in a car door than [play] another Mario Party game.
fixed
Old 01-11-16, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Liver&Onions;11469249]The wii thread has been dead since September, and Wii U is days away, so here's a new thread for all y'all.

I'm looking forward to some impressions, I believe I am sitting this round out (for a few months at the very least yeah

As long as a Nintendo branded mobile title is as solid as their retail releases I think they'll be fine.
Exsctly

[QUOTE=SmackDaddy;12662003]Well, with Xenoblade out today the useful life of my WiiU will slowly come to an end (unless of course the new Zelda really does come out next year).

It's sad really. How do you screw up your next gen console so badly? Even if they stuck with the current design, all they had to do was deliver their franchises in a timely manner. How can they not "get it" ?[/QUOTEu

So I played again last night, now keep in mind my kid has been on winter break so he can get in tons of practice, but I altered my strategy.

Remember that episode of Star Trek TNG where Data is playing that video game with the strategy guy and the first time he loses, but the second time he plays him to a draw? I changed my strategy in similar way to Data in Smash to one of getting in a few punches then jumping out of the way - not playing to win, but playing *not to lose*.
Ye

After a few rounds of winning like this, my son was ready to play another game for a while...
Old 01-11-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

What are you trying to do, Pic22?
Old 01-11-16, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 696 Posts

Nintendo could have done more with the online play for Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The most fun aspect, doubles play, gets very tough to find an opponent once you've climbed the rankings.
Old 01-12-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

I think he is trying to confuse us all until this thread implodes.
Old 01-13-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Hey, how come none of you assholes told me about the game Freedom Planet?

It's an indie game on the U, and it's fantastic. It's basically a Sonic clone, with retro 16-bit graphics (NOT 8-bit, which is important), but it's pretty much better and more fun than any Sonic game. It's pretty big/long for a retro platform game as well.
Old 01-13-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's an indie game on the wiiU that's not on the other consoles/PC (that's actually good)? That is news...
Old 01-13-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I know there's not really a Pokemon game on the WiiU (Rumble and the free ones don't count, Pokken is coming this year) but this is kinda Nintendo news; for the 20th anniversary, in addition to a variety of other products and promotions, they're going to air a Pokemon commercial... during the Super Bowl.

Maybe right after the commercials for Clash of Clans and whatever that Mariah Carey/Upton mobile game is called, because obviously they're raking in the big bucks.
Old 01-22-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like they are re-releasing Bayonetta 2 (without the original game included) for $30. Pretty good deal at Best Buy w/ GCU for $24

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bayonett...at274600050017
Old 01-22-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The word going around is that Intelligent Systems will have a Paper Mario game for the Wii U out at some point this year.
Old 02-02-16, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll probably be a HD port of the Wii Paper Mario.
Old 02-04-16, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Nintendo: Company Reports Quarterly Profits Fell by 36 Percent Compared With Previous Year

The company said it had a net income of $241 million for its September-to-December quarter. The revenue decline is associated with weak Wii U and 3DS console sales.
Old 02-04-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

That does make things sound gloomier than they actually are. Nintendo still pulled a healthy profit and moved a ton of games, despite not having any significant new releases for the holiday season.

One awesome bit of news is that Splatoon has sold more than 4 million copies since launch.
Old 02-05-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Do the Amiibos work with downloadable versions of games?
Specicfically wondering if Shovel Knight, which I downloaded when it first released, will work with the new SK Amiibo?
Thanks for any info!
Old 02-05-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah, if the retail version of a game supports Amiibo, the downloadable version will too (and vice versa). There's a Shovel Knight update that'll download the next time you fire it up (if you haven't already) to patch in Amiibo support.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.