Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is this anyone else's least favorite video game gen so far?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 11:50 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

This was arguably the gen where video games completely blew into the mainstream, and this came with a few negatives unfortunately (outlined below)

-oversaturation of FPS's
-annual releases
-a trend of sticking to the 'tried and true', and adding small little features rather than taking bigger risks
-a lack of unique and new IP's
-the rise of online multiplayer (now so many developers feel obligated to put the mode in games that it has no place in *cough* Bioshock 2, GTA IV)
-the nickel and diming that is DLC, and pre-order "specials"
-the death of JRPG's
-emphasis on realism in games

There's probably more I can't think of. It's not all negative, no doubt gameplay mechanics are the best they've ever been and graphics get better every day.
Old 11-11-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Is this anyone else's least favorite video game gen so far?

Originally Posted by atrium
-the death of JRPG's
I don't agree with that one. Maybe on the 360 is lacking them, but ps3, DS, 3DS, PSP, and the Vita have a great amount of JRPG's.

For example, Mugen Souls just came out last month for ps3

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/646672-mugen-souls
Old 11-12-12, 12:03 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by mhg83
I don't agree with that one. Maybe on the 360 is lacking them, but ps3, DS, 3DS, PSP, and the Vita have a great amount of JRPG's.

For example, Mugen Souls just came out last month for ps3

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/646672-mugen-souls
I haven't played it. Doesn't look like the reviews were so hot for it though.
Old 11-12-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

-oversaturation of FPS's
Variety is the spice of life. Gears, Halo, Borderlands, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead (and to some, CoD). Each one of these deserves a spot in everyone's collection. They all offer something different and all deserve to be experienced.

-a trend of sticking to the 'tried and true', and adding small little features rather than taking bigger risks
Mario, Metroid & Zelda say hi. That's just the nature of gaming and certainly not new this gen.

-a lack of unique and new IP's
ORLY?
Spoiler:
  • Little Big Planet
  • Uncharted
  • Heavy Rain
  • Dead Space
  • WiiSports
  • Boom Blox
  • Zack & Wiki
  • De Blob
  • Epic Mickey
  • Mad World
  • Lost Winds
  • Little Kings Story
  • No More Heroes
  • Dead Rising
  • Gears of War
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Alan Wake
  • Condemned
  • Bioshock
  • Borderlands
  • Rock Band
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Batman: Arkham series
  • Portal
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Split/Second
  • Mass Effect
  • WiiWare: Cave Story, Bit Trip, World of Goo, etc.
  • PSN: Flower, Eden, Echochrome, Journey, the Last Guy, etc.
  • XBLA: Splosion Man, Shadow Complex, Walking Dead, Braid, Castle Crashers, Limbo, etc.

Those are all new IPs this gen. Either you aren't looking hard enough, or you now have a giant list of games to try out.

-the rise of online multiplayer (now so many developers feel obligated to put the mode in games that it has no place in *cough* Bioshock 2, GTA IV)
None of which you are required to play. It offers value to some people. The rise of multiplayer also brought us co-op gaming experiences instead of just deathmatch.

-the nickel and diming that is DLC, and pre-order "specials"
You say "nickel and diming" and I see Rock Band, Borderlands, Bioshock and even FPS map packs as extending the life of a game. Is there some n&d going on? Yeah, but there is a lot of DLC out there and unless you've played them all it's an unfair label. I used to finish a game and dump it prior to this gen. Now I hang on to it and get some more life out of it with DLC.

-the death of JRPG's
Not my area of expertise, but:
Spoiler:
  • Infinite Undiscovery
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Enchanted Arms
  • Last Remnant
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Star Ocean
  • tales of Vesperia
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Demon Souls
  • Folklore
  • Final Fantasy

-emphasis on realism in games
How is this a negative? Racing games are better for it. Sports games? Better. Immersion into a story driven narrative like Mass Effect or even some FPS games is better. Hard to find a negative here.

So yeah pretty much the opposite of every one of your complaints is why this generation is probably my favorite.
Old 11-12-12, 12:51 AM
Former Member

Might I suggest some Preparation H for that butthurt I just induced in you?

Seriously, it's an opinion I hold that I'm in no way attempting to put forth as fact. I have no idea why you felt the need to take each point and try and dissect it with refutes that I don't even agree with.
Old 11-12-12, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought you were starting a discussion. I replied to each to get some back and forth going. My bad.
Old 11-12-12, 12:59 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I thought you were starting a discussion. I replied to each to get some back and forth going. My bad.
Right, you seemed more intent on factually proving my position wrong.

I mean, if that's the direction we want to take this, there are a few glaring things that stick out about what you said (for one, Gears isn't even an FPS, I don't know how you could make that mistake)
Old 11-12-12, 01:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my least favorite gen. For me, I think its just simply my tastes are changing as I get older, and the gaming industry just doesn't appeal to me like it used to when I was younger.

In my teens and early 20s I would play games almost non-stop. Playing for 20 hours straight without so much as getting up to get something to eat or go to the bathroom was a very common occurrence for me. I ended up getting kicked out of college because I played too much and studied too little.

I am 33 now, and the modern gaming scene just doesn't appeal to me. I have probably only played maybe a dozen games total this gen. I don't know why other than I guess my tastes have changed as I have gotten older.
Old 11-12-12, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to say that this is actually my favorite generation of video gaming, despite its many problems, but apparently disagreement with the OP is not allowed.
Old 11-12-12, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sports games? Better.
I think most sports games have become a chore.
Old 11-12-12, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

What Michael Corvin said, though with one addition. You're also wrong about annual releases, as those have been going on for 20 years and aren't unique to this generation.
Old 11-12-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JRPGs have been good this gen. Maybe last gen was a little better but the games are there if you make the effort. Especially if you include DS/PSP in this gen (I do).
Old 11-12-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Agreed. The intended "realism" makes it not nearly as worthwhile as watching the real thing or actually playing. As I get older I care less and less about playing video games --- but the perception that I'm going to have a blast is the 15 year old in me trying to get out.
Old 11-12-12, 07:35 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every generation has games I love and hate...I don't find this generation that much different. If anything I think the PS2/xbox/Gamecube generation was a low point for me, but that had a lot to do with how little I played...PC games got most of my time.
Old 11-12-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ Same here. PS2/GCN/Xbox is probably my least favorite.

I mentioned as much in another thread. I was referring more into graphically. Tecmo Bowl may be more fun than current Maddens, but I even have to admit, it's pretty fucking cool seeing a realistic Rodgers or Manning(s) versus a square blob of a Bo Jackson or Joe Montana.
Old 11-12-12, 07:43 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mentioned as much in another thread. I was referring more into graphically. Tecmo Bowl may be more fun than current Maddens, but I even have to admit, it's pretty fucking cool seeing a realistic Rodgers or Manning(s) versus a square blob of a Bo Jackson or Joe Montana.
Bo Jackson. Put him in the next Madden game and I am sure review scores will go up.
Old 11-12-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To answer the original topic, maybe my least favourite gen would be the N64/PS1 gen. The SNES/Megadrive gen also wasn't that great either because of the number of great SNES games that never made it to PAL/Australia. But the N64, while purportedly being more powerful than the PS1, had many fog-ridden games along with the most simplistic looking single colour textures. Also it's library was completely bare of decent JRPGs. Meanwhile, 3D on PS1 wasn't any better and many 3D games just looked like shit, even at the time. The PS1 also suffered from lots of great games never coming out in PAL (I ended up importing many of them though). The Saturn never really got going in Australia unfortunately.
Old 11-12-12, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's true, I remember being wowed when helmets got shiny in Madden.

I think I agree with a lot that think it's sort of hard to even compare the current gen to previous ones, just because of where you are in life. Some of it is nostalgia, but some is just time. XBL has really made this gen stand out for me though, you just can't beat hooking up with old buddies online and shooting stuff.

I agree too that it's a bit unfair to paint DLC with such a large brush. I'm very negative about a lot of the nickle and diming BS, but it still pretty sweet for a number of games. We just started playing L4D2 again due to the new content and it was a blast.
Old 11-12-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Same here. PS2/GCN/Xbox is probably my least favorite.
For me, it was the PS1/Saturn/N64 era. I have both a PS1 and Saturn but if it wasn't for imports and RPGs, I could probably forget the whole thing and not feel too bad about it.
Old 11-12-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me it felt like the PS2 era was when we started getting really high quality localisations. And that's continued into this gen.
Old 11-12-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

For what its worth the PS1 / Saturn / N64 generation is my favorite. But in reference to the original topic this is definitley my least favorite generation so far. If for nothing else because its the beginning of the end. DLC, on-disc DLC, DLC being ready prior to a games launch but not included in the gamer, in-game advertising, excessive sequels, online passes, the rise of developers allocating time and resources to smartphone and tablet games rather than consoles and patches have really ruined this console generation for me. I think I nearly flipped my lid when I was playing Fight Night Champion and had to watch a Progressive Auto Insurance commercial during loading. I do understand the business mechanics behind all these decisions but personally I think alot of them are taking the fun out of gaming. Also I think what I'm seeing is that physical copies and whatnot probably won't be around past the next generation. Collecting is half the fun for me so this is alarming. Plus, I'm pretty sure the free-to-play model really is the future. I might as well jump on the Steam bandwagon now and get used to it.
Old 11-12-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel more intimidated by new sports games than excited. Last gen, I really liked the NFL Fever and NBA Inside Drive games from Microsoft. I thought they were the perfect blend of pick up and play fun and the coolness of playing with pro teams. That just doesn't seem to be an option anymore.
Old 11-12-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Best generation by far. Mass Effect Games, Borderlands games, Batman games.
Old 11-12-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kedrix
For me, it was the PS1/Saturn/N64 era. I have both a PS1 and Saturn but if it wasn't for imports and RPGs, I could probably forget the whole thing and not feel too bad about it.
See I had an n64 and I'll just never understand the flack it gets. First start with all the first party stuff like:
Spoiler:

Mario 64
Zelda OOT
Waverace
F-Zero
Starfox
Donkey Kong
Smash Bros
Paper Mario
Mario Party*
Mario Kart*

*before they ran these franchises into the ground.

then toss in second party stuff like:
Spoiler:

Goldeneye
Conker
Diddy Kong
Banjo Kazooie
Blast Corps.
Jet Force Gemini
Rogue Squadron
Shadows of the Empire
Ep. 1 Pod Racer
Perfect Dark

moving on to third party:
Spoiler:
Turok
WCW vs. NWO
Extreme G
Gauntlet Legends
Harvest Moon
Beetle Racing
Quarterback Club
Waialae Country Club Golf

N64 was probably one of my favorite consoles, and probably why the Gamecube was such a huge disappointment.
Old 11-12-12, 09:29 AM

Right, you seemed more intent on factually proving my position wrong.

I mean, if that's the direction we want to take this, there are a few glaring things that stick out about what you said (for one, Gears isn't even an FPS, I don't know how you could make that mistake)
I think he seemed intent because he disagrees with everything you said. It's a discussion forum, get over it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.