Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nostalgic review thread of antiquated games

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Nostalgic review thread of antiquated games

I think I may have made a thread like this before, but searching is not my strong suit. So basically it goes like this:

1) Go play/re-play an old game
2) You don't need to finish the game, but have a solid impression of the game and note how much you completed (reached an ending or not)
3) Toss up a review
4) Let's keep it a couple generations behind - Sega Saturn, N64, PSX and Prior, for Computers keep it pre-2000 (certain things, like the recent re-release of FFVII would qualify though)

Mostly, I want someone to write a formal review of LSD Dream Emulator for the PSX I don't expect many people to participate but hell why not.
Old 08-17-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Nostalgic review thread of antiquated games

You want us to take LSD and play PSX games???
Old 08-17-12, 05:55 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Recently replayed Shining Force on my sega collection for the xbox...

One word review. Awesome.

Actually, the game holds up amazingly well. If you have never played them I think you will find yourself surprised, and even if you did play them back in the day they are worth going back to play again..
Old 08-18-12, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good timing.

Just started replaying Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon with the Quakespasm engine and the CD soundtrack. Now that I can play in 1920x1200 at hundreds of FPS (albeit on a 60hz monitor), it controls and plays better than I remembered. The levels are long and satisfying, and the traps are cleverly designed (clued, not cheap).
Old 08-18-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
certain things, like the recent re-release of FFVII would qualify though
I bought the FFVII re-release and have been playing it. Just got passed the Midgar section. I still love this game even though the graphics look pretty bad now with the blocky characters running around, but the gameplay is still great for me. Recent Final Fantasy games just pale in comparison with other complex systems.
Old 08-18-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I bought the FFVII re-release and have been playing it. Just got passed the Midgar section. I still love this game even though the graphics look pretty bad now with the blocky characters running around, but the gameplay is still great for me. Recent Final Fantasy games just pale in comparison with other complex systems.
Did they fix the problem of the motorbike chase running too fast even on a Pentium III?

Also, the PC version has a revised script but HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY butchered music. One Winged Angel is something like a one-track MIDI that sounds worse than most NES games.
Old 08-18-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
Did they fix the problem of the motorbike chase running too fast even on a Pentium III?

Also, the PC version has a revised script but HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY butchered music. One Winged Angel is something like a one-track MIDI that sounds worse than most NES games.
Motorbike chase seemed fine to me. The music is still MIDI, but saying it sounds worse then NES games is quite the exaggeration.
Old 08-19-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
You want us to take LSD and play PSX games???
Couldn't hurt, fix up those pixelated 3D visuals a little.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/70gtHWz70Z0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>