Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,184 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

I actually didn't have too much of an issue with the Cloudburst Tank itself. Having to deal with all those fucking Cobras was more annoying. It seemed like every time I'd find one two more were right there to kill me. It was just dumb luck that I finally got them all. Took me a bunch of tries though. I haven't beaten the whole main storyline but am pretty close.

A couple comments I'd like to mention that are spoilers.
Spoiler:
I beat Arkham Knight/Jason Todd which I found fairly simplistic. I don't mind that the game used Jason as the Arkham Kinight and the clues were all there for people who know the Batman mythos, but I do somewhat agree that it was lame of Rocksteady to say the character was a brand new villain. Before the game came out I'd have never expected him just because while it's cool they used him I didn't expect his story to be the grand finale to the Arkham games. Still a good story overall though.

Also while I wasn't completely sure she was dead earlier in the game I was glad later that Barbara was revealed to be okay. I didn't expect Ivy to die in the game. Interesting that she sort of went out in a more heroic fashion.
Old 07-05-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Took me about 3 days to finish but I have the first ending.

What I like:

Spoiler:
The Joker stuff was A+
Some of the background dialogue is hilarious
The Hush storyline, with numerous thugs mentioning that they saw Bruce Wayne walking around, same as in AC.

What I don't like:
Spoiler:
Firefly ... he goes way too fast so I gave that one up.
The Azrael missions ... I just gave up by the third one.
Some of the areas just have too many thugs/drones. It's frustrating.
The first two games separated Killer Croc/Batman and no pay off here?
Some of the villain choices were odd. (Pig/Blackfire)
The Arkham Knight was just a rip off of Jason becoming Red Hood!

I accidentally found a room that contained
Spoiler:
tons of calendars and dates, so I'm assuming it was related to Calendar Man.
Old 07-05-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

OK I'm at the point where
Spoiler:
you have to battle the AK underground, he's in that big driller, you're in the Batmobile and have to lure him to destroy the driller

... and I'm ready to kick a pigeon. I'm loving so much about the game, but these idiotic Mario Go-Kart challenges are fucking ridiculous.
Old 07-05-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
OK I'm at the point where
Spoiler:
you have to battle the AK underground, he's in that big driller, you're in the Batmobile and have to lure him to destroy the driller

... and I'm ready to kick a pigeon. I'm loving so much about the game, but these idiotic Mario Go-Kart challenges are fucking ridiculous.
Spoiler:
That took me a few tries. It's a pain because you have to lure him after you and make your way to the areas where there are explosives he'll hit when he passes through, but the tunnels are fairly narrow and if he gets too close he crushes you. Basically just get him to follow you and then use your turbine to boost yourself as far ahead down the tunnels with the explosives as you can.
Old 07-05-15, 10:11 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well finished...

My god has a game ever fallen apart so much as this game? I really enjoyed it at the beginning. I even liked the tank combat...all of it (even when fighting 50 tanks) Half way through I would have easily given the game a solid 9...

Not a big fan of the races, but even though they sort of sucked, they were never bad enough to take away from the game. The fights with the Arkham Knight were garbage. Boring...long...stupid garbage. I can not believe they thought these were good? The ending was shit. The story just would not end. The mind fuck stuff was not nearly as cool as they thought it was...I mean holy shit that was a bad final 1/3rd of a game.

Story just kept jumping the shark....

Final score is a 6. Frustrations far outweighed the good that was in this game. At its core it is an amazing game, but has WAY to many problems.

Biggest disappointment in a LONG time.
Old 07-05-15, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I thought the ending was shit too.

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler:
There is no way Jim would ever turn on Batman, not even to save his daughter. Yeah sure, he purposefully shot Batman in the chest where his armor is strongest, but Jim would never have even done that much in my opinion. He would have told Batman that Scarecrow had his daughter and worked with Batman to save her. Keeping it a secret that she is alive was just done merely to have an OMG SHOCKING PLOT TWIST even though realistically Jim would not have kept it a secret from Batman.

I also really really REALLY hated how Batman just fucking gave up and gave in to Scarecrow's demands in the end. BATMAN DOES NOT FUCKING GIVE UP. What kind of bullshit is this? He would have come up with some plan to defeat Scarecrow. He does not give up. That ending was pure 100% bullshit.

Honestly, I would rank the series best to worst like this:
Asylum... 9.5 out of 10
City... 9 out of 10
Knight and Origins being tied for last... both 7 out 10

Knight was very disappointing. The Batmobile was disappointing. The identity of Arkham Knight was disappointing. The ending was disappointing. Disappointing is the one word that sums up the game best.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 07-05-15 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 10:48 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Yeah, I thought the ending was shit too.

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler:
There is no way Jim would ever turn on Batman, not even to save his daughter. Yeah sure, he purposefully shot Batman in the chest where his armor is strongest, but Jim would never have even done that much in my opinion. He would have told Batman that Scarecrow had his daughter and worked with Batman to save her. Keeping it a secret that she is alive was just done merely to have an OMG SHOCKING PLOT TWIST even though realistically Jim would not have kept it a secret from Batman.

I also really really REALLY hated how Batman just fucking gave up and gave in to Scarecrow's demands in the end. BATMAN DOES NOT FUCKING GIVE UP. What kind of bullshit is this? He would have come up with some plan to defeat Scarecrow. He does not give up. That ending was pure 100% bullshit.

Asylum... 9.5 out of 10
City... 9 out of 10

Knight was very disappointing. The Batmobile was disappointing. The identity of Arkham Knight was disappointing. The ending was disappointing. Disappointing is the one word that sums up the game best.
Maybe I am being a little mean on it...it probably deserves a 7..but I agree with everything you say. As a fan of Batman since the early 80's when I got hooked on the comics, I hate seeing so many fuck you moments to fans.

Also, I guess to get the true ending I have to spend 5 hours collecting Riddle trophies? I just can't do it...and I hate they put that behind such crap.

Also spoiler on the ending
Spoiler:
I honestly thought after killing so many jokers that I had to let them kill me but that was wrong and I had to start over...it was just overkill on their part....then the game makes you shoot a crap load of Batman statues and again overkill...then you have to put joker in a cage, but I did not know that at first so I spent 5 minutes beating on him thinking I had to since the game just made me twice before do such a thing over and over again..... until I finally moved near the cage and saw the pop up..so bad
Old 07-05-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Asylum... 9.5 out of 10
City... 9 out of 10

Agree with this 100%
Old 07-05-15, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Knight is better than Origins. Especially at release. They fucked up Origins so bad at release.
Old 07-05-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

While i'm not as down or disappointed as you guys, the comments about the writing reminded me of reading this on Wikipedia a few days ago.

In August 2012, Paul Dini, writer of the first two games in the Arkham series, said he would not be involved in writing a sequel to Arkham City. He did not write any of that game's downloadable content (including the story-based "Harley Quinn's Revenge" downloadable content), and said that Warner Bros. and Rocksteady suggested he accept other work if offered.[51] Rocksteady opted to use its own team of writers, headed by game director Sefton Hill, and returning writer Paul Crocker, with script elements by Martin Lancaster; Geoff Johns served as a consultant on the plot.
Obviously most Batman fans know of Dini, so also not a huge surprise that the story wasn't as strong without him.
Old 07-06-15, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm mostly satisfied with the game thus far. I just got to the "first ending" and am at 80%. The ending shown was interesting but definitely not satisfying and doesn't put much closure on the game and I have to say that I'm not a fan of having to get 100% to get the true ending. At this point I want to get there on my own and not just search for the ending.
Old 07-06-15, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Knight is better than Origins. Especially at release. They fucked up Origins so bad at release.
The funny thing is I've actually had more issues with this game freezing than I did with Arkham Origins. I've had to shut down fully at least five times (playing on X-Box One) and have had a couple weird glitches.
Old 07-06-15, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally took out the cloud burst tank and the Arkhma Knight
Spoiler:
he really isn't joker is he?

Now off to finish off scarecrow
Old 07-06-15, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake
Finally took out the cloud burst tank and the Arkhma Knight
Spoiler:
he really isn't joker is he?

Now off to finish off scarecrow
Spoiler:
Batman has been constantly hallucinating Joker, and you suddenly think that one scene is real? Come on now...
Old 07-06-15, 01:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
Batman has been constantly hallucinating Joker, and you suddenly think that one scene is real? Come on now...
Ha Ha I didn't think it was....Guess I have to finish it up
Old 07-06-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Spoiler:
I honestly thought after killing so many jokers that I had to let them kill me but that was wrong and I had to start over...it was just overkill on their part....then the game makes you shoot a crap load of Batman statues and again overkill...then you have to put joker in a cage, but I did not know that at first so I spent 5 minutes beating on him thinking I had to since the game just made me twice before do such a thing over and over again..... until I finally moved near the cage and saw the pop up..so bad
Yeah, there's a lot of bullshit in the game where you have to read the developers' minds as to what you're supposed to do next, and you can only really do just one thing - it's very linear for an "open world" game. I wish they gave us more freedom.
Old 07-06-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What I thought about the ending(s):

Spoiler:
The way it was executed the entire game could have showed what happened in the Joker's head at the moment of his death in Arkham City. Between what he did to Barbara and then Jason being the Knight it all tied back to Joker. That ending sequence was pretty much his own personal hell. But they turned that around and went back to everything being in Bruce's head.

It works though because the game revolved around Bruce's own fear, losing all of his comrades at one point or another in the game. His mind is having a struggle between the Joker's death at his hands and what Joker previously did to his friends. His final conclusion is that Bruce Wayne needs to "die" so that the people he cares about will be better off. No doubt, Batman is still alive.

The only thing that seems like a gaping plot hole to me is the Hush storyline, simply because Batman shows him his true identity and then takes him to the lockup. Wouldn't Elliot just tell people he is Bruce Wayne?
Old 07-06-15, 01:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Spoiler:
The only thing that seems like a gaping plot hole to me is the Hush storyline, simply because Batman shows him his true identity and then takes him to the lockup. Wouldn't Elliot just tell people he is Bruce Wayne?
Spoiler:
The end of that sidequest Bruce explicitly says that he is not turning Hush over to the GCPD. Bruce said that he is going to keep Hush locked in some private cell in Wayne Tower. Which is just yet another fucked up thing Batman wouldn't actually do. He's not going to reveal his identity to some villain just willy nilly like that and then decide to keep him locked up in his own private cell. Batman is written so very out of character in this game. He just makes one bad decision after another throughout the whole game.
Old 07-06-15, 07:13 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Maybe I am being a little mean on it...it probably deserves a 7..but I agree with everything you say. As a fan of Batman since the early 80's when I got hooked on the comics, I hate seeing so many fuck you moments to fans.

Also, I guess to get the true ending I have to spend 5 hours collecting Riddle trophies? I just can't do it...and I hate they put that behind such crap.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, there's a lot of bullshit in the game where you have to read the developers' minds as to what you're supposed to do next, and you can only really do just one thing - it's very linear for an "open world" game. I wish they gave us more freedom.
Jesus... you guys must not be good w/ visual cues. The game clearly directs to that thing. It was ridiculously obvious what to do with him.
Old 07-06-15, 08:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts

damn, some of the side missions are fucking hard. There was one particular "bomb defusing" mission that I probably repeated like 20 times. And one where you have to take out a bunch of guys at the top of the hospital... I'm still working on that one. I may just give up on trying to 100% this game for the full ending. I'm just so sick of the Batmobile at this point (I didn't hate it throughout the main campaign, but these side missions are something else).
Old 07-06-15, 08:55 AM
gamer for life

Jesus... you guys must not be good w/ visual cues. The game clearly directs to that thing. It was ridiculously obvious what to do with him.
I am usually just fine with clues in games...

Spoiler:
Batman popped out and I when I had control I knocked joker into the corner and just started beating on him...every once in a while it would tell me to pick him up. I never even looked at the cage and since I had to shoot 100 batman statues, and fight 100 jokers earlier... I figured I had to beat on him....the only visual clue I could see was actually seeing the cage still open which I honestly did not...
Old 07-06-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
The end of that sidequest Bruce explicitly says that he is not turning Hush over to the GCPD. Bruce said that he is going to keep Hush locked in some private cell in Wayne Tower. Which is just yet another fucked up thing Batman wouldn't actually do. He's not going to reveal his identity to some villain just willy nilly like that and then decide to keep him locked up in his own private cell. Batman is written so very out of character in this game. He just makes one bad decision after another throughout the whole game.
I think it's best to think of this Batman as another take on Batman, because there definitely was enough stuff in the game that felt out of character to me as well. This Batman looks like Batman, smells like Batman, acts a lot like Batman, but he just feels like he's not the standard Batman.
Old 07-06-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 321 Posts

That's the problem - I'm trying to come up with my own way of approaching something, you know, like how most open world games work, but here, they shoehorn you into only doing it one way. They put you in a spot where you assume there's multiple routes/solutions, when there's really only one specific way trough the given situation. It's pretty frustrating after playing Witcher 3 and other true open world games that give you actual choice, rather than the illusion of choice that they give you here.
Old 07-06-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm at 72% completion and probably still have a little ways to go on the story, as I just took out the cloudburst tank. Things may turn around, but I'm pretty sure this is going to go down as my least favorite Arkham. The Batmobile is shit. There are moments where it's really fun and I don't mind the tank mode like most do, but it's too inconsistent to enjoy. One minute I'll be racing around, taking corners with ease and having no issues steering and then all of a sudden it's like I'm driving on ice and fishtailing all over the place.

The glitches have been pretty bad too. I've gotten stuck in the environment multiple times. One time I tried to grapple out and it locked my PS4 up entirely to the point I had to unplug it and restart. Had the same thing happen during a chase with an APC. I've never had that happen on my PS4. Both times, I exited out to the home screen and chose to quit the app, which did nothing and if I went back into the game, it was just on the frozen screen. Then I tried putting the PS4 to sleep and the console lights looked like it went to sleep, but it output the frozen screen from Arkham to my projector and wouldn't wake back up.

I've also had lots of other minor glitches throughout. I'm still not able to solve a riddle at Poison Ivy's spot. I scanned everything in that area before giving up and looking on YouTube, only to find there's supposed to be a flower to scan that's missing from my game.

I'll definitely still finish the story and will likely at least attempt 100% for the true ending, but I'm hoping to get that wrapped up this week so I can trade it in while the value's still decent. It's not a game I'll have any interest in revisiting.
Old 07-06-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,067 Likes on 880 Posts

Have you read the Geoff Johns trades?

Wally West has always been "my" Flash because that was the era I grew up reading.
Totally legit question.

I'm sure I've read The Secret of Barry Allen--not sure about Rogue War. Wally West is Kid Flash for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.