Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Crusader Kings II

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crusader Kings II

Looking for a new strategy game. This one seems pretty unique and interesting. Anyone here play it? Recommended?

I bought Civ V and the expansion over the weekend and was really disappointed. I want something much deeper and more engaging.

I'll probably keep playing Civ and giving it another shot, but I like more 'realistic' strategy games (ie. 40 years don't advance each turn). This one seems realistic to the core - managing individual characters in a cast of hundreds in more or less real time.
Old 06-27-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Crusader Kings II

I have it, its really good.

You basically manage dynasties, Lots of detail, but not crazy amounts of detail that bogged down Europa Universalis.

Also really active modding community, there is a GOT mod I am playing right now.

The biggest key is how to manage your heirs, making sure they pick up the right skills, and making sure they marry correctly etc.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer

Last edited by superdeluxe; 06-27-12 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never played Crusader Kings, but I agree that Civilization V was a pretty disappointing game. Have you played Civ IV though? It is a much much much better game than V. I have played IV for literally thousands of hours, but I was bored with V in one week. I still go back and play IV occasionally, but I will never play V ever again.

Regarding the thing about time advancing 40 years per turn in Civ, that only happens in the very early game. You start in 4000 BC, and really it isn't like much happens between 4000 BC and 3960 BC, so time passes quickly. The time passed per turn slows down as you get further into the game and by 1900 AD or so it is only one year per turn. It basically simulates how much more quickly things progress in the modern era compared to thousands of years ago. Also that only applies to normal game speed anyway. At normal speed, you get 460 turns going from 4000 BC to 2050 AD, but at epic and marathon speeds you get more turns spread out over the same time period. If you want a VERY long game try marathon.

But still if you really want hardcore "realism" you won't be satisfied with Civ IV either. Its not intended to be a historical documentary or anything. For example, you can play as America in 4000 BC and found Hinduism. If you piss off Gandhi, he might nuke you.
Old 06-27-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crusader Kings II very realistic in regards to rulers etc.

I started off as the Duke of Aquitaine (Which included the Duchies of Gascgone and Poitou), murdered my wife (You have no heirs, and your wife is in her 30's) and Married Mathilda of Tuscany (And she controlled large sections of Italy).

Old 06-27-12, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I have it, its really good.

You basically manage dynasties, Lots of detail, but not crazy amounts of detail that bogged down Europa Universalis.

Also really active modding community, there is a GOT mod I am playing right now.

The biggest key is how to manage your heirs, making sure they pick up the right skills, and making sure they marry correctly etc.
Yeah, this sounds really interesting to me. Shogun 2 is my current favorite strategy game (although I know it isn't as 'deep' as anything mentioned in this thread), and one thing I really missed in that game was having more control over my family and generals and their relationships with each other and other clans. It sounds like this game will scratch that itch.

How is the GOT mod?? That sounds perfect and is really pushing me in the direction of buying this game.

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I never played Crusader Kings, but I agree that Civilization V was a pretty disappointing game. Have you played Civ IV though? It is a much much much better game than V. I have played IV for literally thousands of hours, but I was bored with V in one week. I still go back and play IV occasionally, but I will never play V ever again.

Regarding the thing about time advancing 40 years per turn in Civ, that only happens in the very early game. You start in 4000 BC, and really it isn't like much happens between 4000 BC and 3960 BC, so time passes quickly. The time passed per turn slows down as you get further into the game and by 1900 AD or so it is only one year per turn. It basically simulates how much more quickly things progress in the modern era compared to thousands of years ago. Also that only applies to normal game speed anyway. At normal speed, you get 460 turns going from 4000 BC to 2050 AD, but at epic and marathon speeds you get more turns spread out over the same time period. If you want a VERY long game try marathon.

But still if you really want hardcore "realism" you won't be satisfied with Civ IV either. Its not intended to be a historical documentary or anything. For example, you can play as America in 4000 BC and found Hinduism. If you piss off Gandhi, he might nuke you.
No, I haven't played since number 2 when I was still a young buck on my dad's ancient laptop.

Thanks for the tip about years per turn. That makes perfect sense to me now that you explain it. I'm only around 1000 AD in my first game at this point.

I might consider picking up IV. I'm sure it's only $20 or something at this point.

And I like the way you can do crazy things in a Civ game, I don't mean historical realism per se, I just want the mechanics to feel natural similar to the way things would play out in the real world.

For example (although this is more of an AI issue), a city state near my capital city went to war with me despite the fact that I had 6x as many armies right near his border.

I guess I haven't really played the game enough to pass final judgement though. For example, I was thinking the exact opposite about the turns, and I think I accidentally selected the most accelerated game type.
Old 06-27-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been enjoying CKII, but I just got it recently and haven't really put much time into it.
Old 06-27-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Yeah, this sounds really interesting to me. Shogun 2 is my current favorite strategy game (although I know it isn't as 'deep' as anything mentioned in this thread), and one thing I really missed in that game was having more control over my family and generals and their relationships with each other and other clans. It sounds like this game will scratch that itch.

How is the GOT mod?? That sounds perfect and is really pushing me in the direction of buying this game.

Well CKII is not really about the warfare, sure there are things you can do in the actual battles, but not much (For example you can siege/assault the fort). You can buy different mercernary units/Holy Orders, but you don't have standing armys, your generals are the mayors/bishops of each levy.

The end game is you are trying to achieve a high dynastic score, you do this by having your family name in different positions of power throughout Europe and Africa/Middle east.

For Example, My main guy was King of Aquitaine and Toulouse (pushed war for freedom from France).

My Cousin was king of Norway, and my other Cousin was King of Galicia. I think you get more points that way then owning everything.

The GOT mod is pretty fun, I love seeing all the historical figures/places in there. It might just be my game, but after the initial Robert's Rebellion, things really calmed down, so it got a little more boring..but I've been seeing people having games where a ton of things fired off in their games and made it exciting.
Old 06-27-12, 06:56 PM

Thanks guys.

I went ahead and bought it, downloading now. This all just sounds too interesting and unique to pass up, and I've read the execution doesn't disappoint. Got all the DLCs too - it was only $10 and I'm sure at some point I'll want to play as a Muslim!

That's fine about the warfare. Nothing really tops Total War anyway and I don't expect that. I just want to get involved in some medieval politics!

Not that I'll jump into it without playing the main game for a while, but what is the primary modding site?

It'll be nice to have something pull me away from Dawn of Discovery. Last weekend continued the many consecutive such weekends in which I played that game for 10 hours straight.
Old 06-27-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When you finish downloading go to paradoxplaza, register for access to the forums, lots of good discussion there and go to the modder forum

Have fun, if you want suggested starting points for your first game let me know
Old 06-28-12, 03:35 PM

Would definitely appreciate some ideas for starting points. I fired the game up for a couple hours last night, but didn't have time to do much other than look through and get a sense of the many (many, many, many) menus. Want to get down to business tonight.
Old 06-28-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't get to play much but I really enjoy my time.... even if it is a bit like floundering through infinite menus when you first start. I'd love some starting points too. I'm not very good at this.
Old 06-28-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Would definitely appreciate some ideas for starting points. I fired the game up for a couple hours last night, but didn't have time to do much other than look through and get a sense of the many (many, many, many) menus. Want to get down to business tonight.
Starting spot to get your feet wet is the county of Dublin. You start with no dynasty to speak of really, you are heir to neighboring Leinster and you have de jure claims to the other county in the duchy Meath. Being on the island pretty much everyone leaves you alone and you can work towards the kingdom of Ireland .

Build up $$$ so you can usurp the duchy of Meath, hire mercenaries and take a couple of lands, use your chancellor to fabricate claims and marry your family off so you can press their claims. Or invite those from outside your family that has a claim. Be wary though because if you are a count, and you press a claim on a county, the guy you press for will gain independence you have to be higher than him, you also need to make sure he is your vassal (so give him a city or castle before hand)
Old 06-28-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once you have mastered the game, the duke of Aquitaine is a great place to start. You are essentially a super duke. I'll give more tips with that if you guys want
Old 06-28-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two questions:

1) I started as the King of Leon, my older brother died quickly and I inherited his land. Almost immediately I was attacked by the Muslims to the south in a holy war. I fended it off, but them immediately had my vassals turn on me for having the levies raised too long. How on earth do you prevent this? It was either keep the levies raised and stop the Muslim invasion or not and be crushed.

2) How do you find someone to marry who's not just a Courtier? I occasionally see a princess (usually a 7th or 8th daughter), but almost never anyone of stature to marry my eldest son.
Old 06-28-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
I have two questions:

1) I started as the King of Leon, my older brother died quickly and I inherited his land. Almost immediately I was attacked by the Muslims to the south in a holy war. I fended it off, but them immediately had my vassals turn on me for having the levies raised too long. How on earth do you prevent this? It was either keep the levies raised and stop the Muslim invasion or not and be crushed.

2) How do you find someone to marry who's not just a Courtier? I occasionally see a princess (usually a 7th or 8th daughter), but almost never anyone of stature to marry my eldest son.
1) if you can hire mercenaries do so, you must win quickly otherwise other Muslims will come and join the gang bang. Also try to ally with France, they might come to your rescue. Honestly those are tough territories as beginners because you have the 800 pound gorilla the Muslims are much more advanced. If you can make it till 1100 or so you get holy orders

2) sometimes eligible breeding partners are not around, much easier to find courtiers that have claims to lands. Genetics and stats are much more important.

Also never just click on the wedding ring, I always search the entire realm.

Last edited by superdeluxe; 06-28-12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-28-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 06-29-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh #1 tip.

Marry your daughter off Matrinearily. Usually can you find really low on the totem pole guys with claims, but they are so far removed from the direct line, that you should be able to marry.

Use this to press claims.

and becareful, if you betroth your son, sometimes the game will try and trick you into doing a matrinerial marriage from their end. I lost #2 son to this..and he became the b*tch of the Queem of Sicliy.
Old 06-29-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is a review of the CKII Game of Thrones Mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqEIJrjWEno
Old 06-29-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How similar is this game to Civ? Is there a lot of city building in it?
Old 06-29-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
How similar is this game to Civ? Is there a lot of city building in it?
No, this is not a city building style of game. This is a Dynasty managing/building game
Old 06-29-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Finally caught up a bit on GoT (though still haven't seen the finale) and saw that this game was mentioned in one of the TV threads. Nausicaa, did you buy it on sale anywhere, or was it just the 39.99 on Steam/Amazon?
Old 06-29-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yikes, it was just on sale for much cheaper (I got it in a bundle at amazon for 12.50 with a bunch of other games), I'd look/wait for a better deal.
Old 06-29-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Yeah, I saw that bundle at 12.50 in that GoT thread but it's long gone. Since Nausicaa just bought it, figured it was on sale somewhere...
Old 06-29-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
No, this is not a city building style of game. This is a Dynasty managing/building game
Darn okay, I don't think this is what I'm looking for then.
Old 06-29-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Darn okay, I don't think this is what I'm looking for then.
Europa Universalis might be more to your liking..but its a much more of a slog through. You have to figure out economics/trade etc...and you can build up 15-20 different buildings, with different attributes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.