Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need for Speed: Most Wanted is Burnout Paradise 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Need for Speed: Most Wanted is Burnout Paradise 2

Haven't seen a thread on the new Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

According to several websites, this new Need for Speed combines the best of Most Wanted with the best of Burnout Paradise.

I for one am really looking forward to is. I played the heck out of Burnout Paradise including Big Surf Island. Loved the social aspect with all the group challenges.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...out-paradise-2
Old 06-18-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Need for Speed: Most Wanted is Burnout Paradise 2

I'm the only person who cares about the NFS series here. I'd have made this thread during E3 but it would have been a ghost town.
Old 06-18-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burnout Paradise raped every great memory I had of the franchise and the Need for Speed franchise sucks... and that's why nobody is excited.

Well... it could be worse. Sony could announce Ridge Racer 1080P and then absolutely nobody would care.
Old 06-19-12, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at the video.

Burnout Paradise is the only driving game I've cared about this entire generation. The notion of playing it with licensed cars and epic police chases is extremely appealing. I just hope they retain some of the craziness in Paradise and duplicate the online freeburn stuff.

For Burnout fans who didn't like Burnout Paradise when it released, I really recommend checking it out now. The multiple updates fixed all of my gripes about the game, and the open world stuff turned out to be a blast when approached with an open mind.
Old 06-19-12, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I loved the first Most Wanted when the Xbox 360 debuted... the rest have been "meh" at best.
Old 06-19-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My point is being made. No worries DVDChris, I'll be on your Autolog.
Old 06-19-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome!
Old 06-19-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in. Loved the first Most Wanted and am still playing Hot Pursuit.
Old 06-19-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

While The Run sucked this does look promising. And I too still play Hot Pursuit from time to time.
Old 06-19-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Burnout Paradise raped every great memory I had of the franchise and the Need for Speed franchise sucks... and that's why nobody is excited.
raped the franchise?? While I miss a full blown Crash mode, I think Paradise was a great evolution of the series. I must've put in 80 hours into the game doing all the online stuff.

The latest Hot Pursuit (also by Criterion) was another game I played through. Too bad the online was lacking in this game.
Old 06-19-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
My point is being made. No worries DVDChris, I'll be on your Autolog.
Nice. From what I've heard, there's going to be sensors at each intersection keeping track of how fast you drive through them and posting your speed to the Autolog. Sounds cool.
Old 06-19-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may very well be in. This is nit-picky but I hope the controls are a bit tighter. I'm not the greatest at racing games and I always feel like I need to make a perfect run to place top 3.
Old 06-19-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I am all in. Burnout Paradise had some of the most fun I've had in any racing series. Most Wanted scratched my high speed tuning and customizing itch. Like chess said:
The notion of playing it with licensed cars and epic police chases is extremely appealing. I just hope they retain some of the craziness in Paradise and duplicate the online freeburn stuff.
gotta agree.
Old 06-19-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
For Burnout fans who didn't like Burnout Paradise when it released, I really recommend checking it out now. The multiple updates fixed all of my gripes about the game, and the open world stuff turned out to be a blast when approached with an open mind.
I re-bought it a few months ago and you can still put me in the "meh" camp. The restarts are nice, but driving around to find shit to do still sucks balls. Just give me a list of race types & races and let me go at it.

Also, I'm TERRIBLE at memorizing maps, so constantly watching the map instead of the road isn't fun.
Old 06-19-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I re-bought it a few months ago and you can still put me in the "meh" camp. The restarts are nice, but driving around to find shit to do still sucks balls. Just give me a list of race types & races and let me go at it.
Racing is such a small part of the game though...and probably the least interesting part.

I enjoyed the takedown challenges and marked man much more, and the easter egg hunts for signs and jumps are a blast. But really, the best part is just tooling around in the world, and it's even better with friends in freeburn with the most seamless online matchmaking I've seen in any game ever.

Also, I'm TERRIBLE at memorizing maps, so constantly watching the map instead of the road isn't fun.
This is a fair criticism, and it bothered me early on as well, but ultimately it adds an element of openness that you don't get in other driving/racing games. Usually, you're on a track and just trying to get from point A to point B, but in Pardadise the race feels like it's happening in an organic world with tons of options and shortcuts.

What I would often do, and I doubt this will appease you any, is just hit pause occassionally and plan my next turn or two.
Old 06-19-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In case somebody didn't want to click through to see the video, here's a full version with trailer and presentation.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/le8RfO82Yvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's a sharper version without the cutaways to the guy on stage who clearly isn't playing the game in real time:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r9WNO__Z2Uk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lots of little things that are just like Paradise, specifically the way takedowns look, the Criterion sign smash, the gas station, the gates and the way the boost meter is refilled with stunts and near misses. All indications are that they made Burnout Paradise with licenced cars. Bless them if they did.

My only concern is the driving itself. Paradise and the the other Burnout games have a very specific arcade feel to the driving, which I found lacking in Hot Pursuit. I hope they got it right this time.

Last edited by chess; 06-19-12 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

It looks to like during events like a race there are checkpoints that linger in front of you so that watching a map is not entirely needed. Looks to me like the racing aspect will be a bit more intuitive if this is so. I'm guessing though that the car physics won't be nearly as arcadey as BP.
Old 06-19-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cruzness
I'm guessing though that the car physics won't be nearly as arcadey as BP.
I don't know...watching the video, the driving looks just like a session of Paradise in terms of the way the car is being thrown around with ease.

Also, check out the building on the left at ~ 1:45
Old 06-20-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really miss Burnout Revenge (though Takedown was the best in the series).
Old 06-21-12, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Wow, definitely looks like Burnout, even the way the car handles.

Originally Posted by chess
Racing is such a small part of the game though...and probably the least interesting part.

I enjoyed the takedown challenges and marked man much more, and the easter egg hunts for signs and jumps are a blast. But really, the best part is just tooling around in the world, and it's even better with friends in freeburn with the most seamless online matchmaking I've seen in any game ever.
Right, same for those. Just give me a list of available challenges, marked man events, takedowns, etc. to pick from. If I've ever simply driven through an intersection(not necessarily started that mission), that challenge should be available from a menu. I shouldn't have to drive to find shit to do every time I boot up the game.

And yes, jumps, signs and easter eggs are all well and fine, but I did most of those in the first few times playing the game. Once those are done, I just want to race, do challenges, etc.
Old 06-21-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, definitely looks like Burnout, even the way the car handles.
This is what has me most excited about the game.

Right, same for those. Just give me a list of available challenges, marked man events, takedowns, etc. to pick from. If I've ever simply driven through an intersection(not necessarily started that mission), that challenge should be available from a menu. I shouldn't have to drive to find shit to do every time I boot up the game.
I guess it would have been nice if they'd given the option to do it that way, at least in single player. I get that they didn't initially build it in because they wanted an organic world, but when they gave in and inserted restarts, they could have taken this step as well.

I'm thinking that you can use the map that way to some degree by opening it up and setting waypoints, but it's been a long long time since I did all of the intersection stuff. It's been all freeburn for me the few times I've played lately. We usually just end up in the quarry or airport doing stunts and crashing into each other.
Old 08-15-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Freeburn challenges...or something similar.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aTi6uinHT30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-15-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That looks great. Those were the most fun I had in Burnout Paradise.
Old 10-27-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Next week bitches.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IpGS1K9mLPQ?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IpGS1K9mLPQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 10-27-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in... Got my preorder from Newegg.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.