Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Baldur's Gate III (PC, PS5, XSS, XSX)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC, PS5, XSS, XSX)

PCGamer.com has an article that the Baldur's Gate page has a countdown going. Should hit zero today around 12pm pacific. I just went to the site, and it's down to 3:45:00 to go. I guess we'll find out what its about pretty soon.
Old 03-15-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoping for Isometric, likely going to be first person shooter/rpg
Old 03-15-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Hoping for Isometric, likely going to be first person shooter/rpg
Or a FaceBook game a'la Dragon Age Legends.
Old 03-15-12, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

One rumor I've heard is an iOS port (that would be OK with me).
Old 03-15-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently the countdown was to the site going down.
Old 03-15-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Apparently the countdown was to the site going down.
Are you serious?
Old 03-15-12, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its still down.

You know, if you are going to count down to a supposedly big announcement, you should be well prepared beforehand for any potential bandwidth overloads...
Old 03-15-12, 02:36 PM
Banned

This just showed up on Joystiq.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/ba...s-this-summer/

Nope, we still don't really know what this Baldur's Gate announcement business is, but we sure do know it's name now: "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition." Huzzah! As previously reported, Beamdog is working on the Baldur's Gate project, though the developer's Overhaul Games division is taking lead. Atari is handling publishing duties, and Wizards of the Coast is licensing its (D&D-based) IP.

From the few details we have, the project sounds an awful lot like an HD remake to us – especially given the fancier logo and "Enhanced Edition" subtitle. We've reached out to Beamdog for clarity on what the game actually is, and what platforms it'll end up on (among other things). For now, know that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will land on whatever those platforms are at some point this summer. We're gonna take a wild guess that it'll be on PC at the very least.
There already is an HD mod that plays the original game in HD graphics, so I hope this is more than just an HD facelift.
Old 03-15-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. If all that was for a simple facelift, that was a whole lot of nothing.
Old 03-15-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, according to this article, it's more than a re-package.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/15/ba...g-this-summer/

Following an enigmatic, tedious countdown timer (that broke the website upon expiring for 40 minutes and counting), Overhaul Games has announced Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition.

BG and BG2 have been available on GOG.com for awhile, so what’ll this contribute? According to the developer, original game content. Overhaul Games told Joystiq: “This is the Enhanced Edition, it’s not a repackage. We have the original source code and are doing a significant update.” I’ve separately reached out to the developer for more information.

Right now, the game’s announcement page is still busted, so I’m not sure whether to tell you to keep F5ing or not. I’ll update with any additional information as we receive it.
Old 03-15-12, 04:00 PM
Banned

We have the original source code and are doing a significant update.
It sounds to me like they are just updating the old Infinity Engine rather than doing an actual remake. I wonder just how much they can actually update it that hasn't already been done in mods. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of BG mods out there that significantly improve the original game. Like I said before, there is even a mod that lets you play the original game in HD and widescreen resolutions, so even that is nothing new.

So far this whole thing seems VERY underwhelming. Unless it turns out to be an actual remake with a new engine, it seems like a huge waste of time.
Old 03-15-12, 04:18 PM
Banned

The site is finally working now. Only 3 hours late.

http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012...anced-edition/

Announcing Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™
March 15, 2012

Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.

Re-forged by Overhaul Games

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers.

Relive the most epic story ever told

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.

The greatest roleplaying game of all time, enhanced

For all information regarding Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ visit www.baldursgate.com, for press inquiries contact [email protected].
So there will be both a BG1 and BG2 enhanced editions. It also looks like I was right. Its just an enhancement of the old Infinity Engine and not a real remake. I was hoping for a 3D isometric engine similar to Diablo 3. Just reusing the old engine is major disappointment.
Old 03-15-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Considering I just bought both BG 1+2 off of GOG.com, I'll probably just stick to playing those, unless this new game has some really cool new features.
Old 03-15-12, 04:31 PM
Banned

I wonder if it will use 4th edition rules? I really can't imagine Wizards of the Coast would ever go back to 2nd edition.

That's probably what the "modern enhancement" is. Just a change in the rule set and everything else remains the same.
Old 03-15-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Depending on what sort of enhancements they have planned and what new content will be added to the game, I might pick it up. I was hoping for Baldur's Gate III using an enhanced version of the Infinity Engine....but I guess that ain't happening anytime soon. I've already re-played the first game using the TuTu mod and if that's all this enhanced version is then I'll pass.
Old 03-15-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I wonder if it will use 4th edition rules? I really can't imagine Wizards of the Coast would ever go back to 2nd edition.

That's probably what the "modern enhancement" is. Just a change in the rule set and everything else remains the same.
No, it will retain the same rule set from the original games.
Old 03-16-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never played D&D but have heard many people ramble on about 2nd edition rules versus 4th edition rules. Why is this such a big issue?
Old 03-16-12, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I've never played D&D but have heard many people ramble on about 2nd edition rules versus 4th edition rules. Why is this such a big issue?
There are a lot of differences going from one edition to the next, but most of the complaints are just older people not being able to accept anything new. A lot of people didn't accept 3E either.

1E came out in the 1970s. I never played it. 2E came out in the late 1980s, and I was about 10 years old at the time and that's when I first started playing. I don't know if there were complaints from older gamers about all the changes back then as I was too young to care about such things.

Then in the late 1990s the TSR company was going bankrupt and Wizards of the Coast bought them and the D&D franchise. WotC then immediately created a new 3E which was a radical departure from 2E, and I know there were lots and lots of complaints about 3E being "dumbed down for newbies." While some of that was true, other things in 3E were more complex than 2E.

Baldur's Gate 2 ended up being the last 2E computer D&D game. The next D&D game, Neverwinter Nights was 3E.

4E was released a few years ago, and I haven't really paid much attention to it since I don't play pen and paper anymore and no computer D&D game has yet used 4E. From what little I know about 4E, most of the complaints are that it is dumbed down yet again and is made more for the MMORPG crowd than the old school pen and paper gamers. I don't really know how much of that is true or not.
Old 03-16-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is an article up on Gamespy, with more info. They say that BG3 is their long-term goal.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/baldurs-gat...1220929p1.html

"We've been adding side stories, stories to tie things together, unfinished stories," Tofer said. "As far as new types of abilities, we have more announcements coming."

Which is, of course, great news, but it's only the beginning. No, Baldur's Gate 3 isn't A Thing just yet, but if Overhaul has its way, it'll only be a matter of time. Tofer explained:

"Baldur's Gate 3 has been our long term goal. We have a lot of things to put in place before such a project can be launched. So currently there is no such project but that's the one we want to do. Our thoughts have been that Enhanced Edition for BG 1 and 2 just make sense before there's any Baldur's Gate 3."

"We're totally thinking Kickstarter. It just makes so much sense and solves so many problems. I think what Brian [Fargo] is doing with Wasteland is very interesting."
Old 03-16-12, 12:33 PM
Banned

I just don't see how Baldur's Gate 3 could ever really work in anything but name only.

The Bhaalspawn story was concluded with the Throne of Bhaal expansion. There's really no way they could continue that story. So any potential BG3 would have to be a completely new story that is only tangentially related to BG1 and 2.

Also consider the changes in rules with 4E now. BG3 will never be a 2E game like BG1 and 2 were. Wizards of the Coast would never allow that. They may allow an "enhanced edition" of BG1 and 2 to keep the 2E rules, but a brand new game like BG3 would most definitely be 4E.

So any BG3 at this point would be Baldur's Gate in name only... kind of like the Dark Alliance console games...
Old 03-16-12, 01:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I loved the console BG: Dark Alliance games, mainly as a two person co-op experience.

Always meant to play the original BG games, and have the old things in a box somewhere, but at this point maybe I'll wait to see how this enhancement comes off.
Old 03-22-12, 04:02 PM
Banned

The site has been updated. The enhanced editions are coming to iPad. No word on a PC release, so I wonder if these are iPad exclusives...

I have never used an iPad before, but I am surprised these are coming because I thought the file size would be too large. Is there no limit to the size of apps? BG1 and 2 both are several GB in size.

http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012...on-for-ipad-3/

Overhaul Games is pleased to announce Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ for iPad.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on iPad

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons™ computer role-playing games ever since.

The greatest story ever told, better than you imagined

Running on an upgraded and improved version of the Infinity Engine, Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ will include the entire Baldur’s Gate adventure, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, and never before seen content including a new adventure and new party member.

Your ultimate destiny, now in your grasp

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ will be available on the Apple App Store in summer 2012. For all information visit www.baldursgate.com.

Old 03-22-12, 04:46 PM

The site has been updated. The enhanced editions are coming to iPad. No word on a PC release, so I wonder if these are iPad exclusives...

I have never used an iPad before, but I am surprised these are coming because I thought the file size would be too large. Is there no limit to the size of apps? BG1 and 2 both are several GB in size.
The original was only 300 mb.

I'm not sure if there is a limit, but I hear some apps are well over a gig, so this shouldn't be a problem at all.

I'm in, need some old school gaming on my new iPad (after Lent).
Old 03-22-12, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
The original was only 300 mb.
You mean the original BG? It was well over 300 MB.

It originally was five CD-ROMs with Tales of the Sword Coast on a sixth disc if you had the expansion. Sure a multi-disc game like that has some data redundancy, but Bioware later re-released it with better data compression and it was still three discs.

I don't have the games installed currently, but I know BG1 was over 2 GB in size and BG2 was close to 3 GB. So the whole thing would be close to 5 GB, which is a hefty chunk if you only have a 16 GB iPad.

Edit: Well, now I recall old games like this having an option to do a partial install or a full install. Since hard drives back then were so small, many people only did partial installs and ran the game off the disc. With much larger hard drives today, games are fully installed and run completely off the hard drive. Its possible the partial install of BG1 was only 300 MB, but the iPad will require a full install since there is no way to play it off a disc.
Old 03-22-12, 05:28 PM

You mean the original BG? It was well over 300 MB.

It originally was five CD-ROMs with Tales of the Sword Coast on a sixth disc if you had the expansion. Sure a multi-disc game like that has some data redundancy, but Bioware later re-released it with better data compression and it was still three discs.

I don't have the games installed currently, but I know BG1 was over 2 GB in size and BG2 was close to 3 GB. So the whole thing would be close to 5 GB, which is a hefty chunk if you only have a 16 GB iPad.

Edit: Well, now I recall old games like this having an option to do a partial install or a full install. Since hard drives back then were so small, many people only did partial installs and ran the game off the disc. With much larger hard drives today, games are fully installed and run completely off the hard drive. Its possible the partial install of BG1 was only 300 MB, but the iPad will require a full install since there is no way to play it off a disc.
I made the mistake of going by wiki.

I guess they could do something like free DLC that you download as you get to new areas?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.