Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The take on rechargable batteries (360)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The take on rechargable batteries (360)

I've used the Quick Charge station with the Microsoft battery packs. I've had one battery pack die on me in four-or-so years of use.
Old 02-24-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I've used the Quick Charge station with the Microsoft battery packs. I've had one battery pack die on me in four-or-so years of use.
Confirms my suspicions above. I wonder if it has to do with the Plug & Play kits that kill the batteries. I leave two on the charger at all times (since it came out) and haven't had a bit of trouble at all.
Old 02-24-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not sure if it's still the case, but there used to be eneloops out in the wild disguised as Duracell rechargeables. IIRC, depending on where they are made gave them away (China vs. Japan). I don't recall which country was home of the eneloop/duracell.
Duracell w/ white tops = Eneloop.

As for what I would recomend:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...dp_ob_title_ce

and

http://www.all-battery.com/batterysavingcombos.aspx

You can find coupon codes for all-battery as well. I recently got 24 AAA and 24 AA low discharge batteries for less than $70 shipped.

The reason I would recommend rechargeable AA batteries over the quick charge pack is that you can use the AA in tons of other things and they will last you well beyond your ownership of the 360.
Old 02-24-12, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
My experience (and those of my friends as well) with those quick charge battery packs for 360 is that they work well at first but they don't last. They start holding inconsistent charges and eventually won't even charge at all.
I actually having problems with my first 3 battery packs (I have 6 in all). I never use the play and charge cable, just the quick charger (all official Microsoft).

I can charge my older packs, but if I don't use them within a day of charging them, they'll lose their charge and even still won't last as long in the controller as the newer packs. (I'll have 3 of the 4 bars lit for the fully charged older packs) And sometimes they end up dying the same day I put them in the controller on game sessions ranging from 6-8 hours.

I usually keep 2 fully charged packs on tap and let them completely die before charging them (I keep hitting the guide button when the low battery shuts the controller off to eek out the last of the charge). The older batteries won't turn the controller back on after it shuts it off once.

I was actually curious as well if it's bad to keep them on the charger until you use them, or will it end up hurting the battery. I take them off as soon as the light turns green.
Old 02-24-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
I actually having problems with my first 3 battery packs (I have 6 in all). I never use the play and charge cable, just the quick charger (all official Microsoft).
I always used the charger as well, never used the play and charge cable. I don't remember if mine was the official Microsoft one or not.
Old 02-24-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I think all batteries lose charge after a while anyway, so it shouldn't be that uncommon for the older packs to perform worse than newer/unused ones.

I had two batteries that I kept in a Microsoft charger, and the time between four full bars and three bars decreased as time went on. On one of them, the connectors were also getting a little bad, I would have to make sure it was seated properly in the controller and sometimes clean the connectors or it wouldn't work.
Old 02-24-12, 02:26 PM

I run the Teknocreations InCharge battery packs with my 360 controllers. These are Lithium-Ion battery packs (just about any other 360 ones are NiMH) and it came with an inductive charging base. I've had the setup for about three years and they still work great unlike the Microsoft Play and Charge ones which seemed to last a year at best for me. Not that it really matters, but the controllers feel noticeably lighter with these packs. Unfortunately it seems that these aren't available anymore. On Amazon there is a product called Xbox 360 Power Base Inductive Charging Dock which is also Lithium-Ion.
Old 02-25-12, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice

<SNIP>

I was actually curious as well if it's bad to keep them on the charger until you use them, or will it end up hurting the battery. I take them off as soon as the light turns green.
+1

Anyone know or have an educated guess about this?

There's gotta be somebody who wasn't sleeping or passing notes to big butt Bertha during Physics 101 on the forum.

"Bueler, Bueler, Bueler..."
Old 02-25-12, 08:50 AM

To get the most out of NiMH batteries, you want to use them until they are completely dead, charge them fully and use them right away. Leaving them on the charger won't hurt them as they are charged at very low amperage.
Old 02-25-12, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by loneranger
To get the most out of NiMH batteries, you want to use them until they are completely dead, charge them fully and use them right away. Leaving them on the charger won't hurt them as they are charged at very low amperage.
Ahhh amperage is the key! I love it when you talk all techie and stuff.

Thanks LoneRanger. From now on I'm gonna keep one battery in the quick charge unit to switch out whenever I drain the active battery.
Old 02-27-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loneranger
That kind of depends on the charger though. The super cheap ones aren't nearly as good as the ones that actually check the batteries levels when charging.