Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dragon's Dogma (Capcom)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Dragon's Dogma (Capcom)

First I have heard about this game, but it looks pretty cool.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PFvOc3QzX4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-27-12, 01:01 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Dragon's Dogma (Capcom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrCiV4LOYk4

ok...this game seems to fill a niche between a game like Skyrim and a game like Dark Souls...

the above footage surprised the hell out of me...
Old 03-27-12, 01:08 PM
gamer for life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid...&v=qEsVmmXQqWA
Old 03-27-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

This game looks really good, but it's going to live or die depending on the quality of the pawn AI.

If their AI is shit, then as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter how good the rest of the game is.
Old 03-31-12, 01:53 AM
gamer for life

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/hi...s-dogma/728681
Old 04-24-12, 10:39 PM
gamer for life

Demo is up...

First, the game looks good in a weird way. It is hard to explain, but the screenshots don't do it justice...even the video clips don't capture the way it feels when you play.

The demo is not much of a demo...two battles basically...both boss fights, but they are fun.

I can see this being a big surprise for a lot of people...

One strange thing, when you do your character creation...the characters are of course just wearing rags...sort of half naked...and as I am scrolling through the choices, one of the body types is clearly a little girl...like maybe 9 or 10. It is a little creepy.
Old 04-25-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the demo, and the advanced buzz seems to be mostly positive with a few qualifiers.

I will definitely get it eventually, but I'm not sure about a preorder just yet.
Old 04-25-12, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Demo is up...

First, the game looks good in a weird way. It is hard to explain, but the screenshots don't do it justice...even the video clips don't capture the way it feels when you play.

The demo is not much of a demo...two battles basically...both boss fights, but they are fun.

I can see this being a big surprise for a lot of people...

One strange thing, when you do your character creation...the characters are of course just wearing rags...sort of half naked...and as I am scrolling through the choices, one of the body types is clearly a little girl...like maybe 9 or 10. It is a little creepy.
Japanese Developer?
Old 04-25-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let you guys know a little more, this is supposed to be brutal hard. Here are a couple of examples.

One save file. If you fuck up, you have to start the whole game over.
Going to the inns heal you, but more importantly, they let you sleep until morning. This is very important for quests, as you don't want to get stuck out on the roads at night and die.
When you're hit, it decreases your max HP. Magic spells will only heal you up to your new cap. You'll have to drink potions or go to an inn in order to get back to your true max.

I have the demo downloaded (an old build, I guess), but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's definitely something I'm interested in though. Hopefully it appeals to me more than Skyrim, which I hated with a passion.
Old 04-25-12, 10:24 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by mhg83
Japanese Developer?
lol...yes..Capcom
Old 04-25-12, 10:26 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Just to let you guys know a little more, this is supposed to be brutal hard.
another reason I want to try this out...I don't think it is going to be super hard though unless you don't plan out your actions...and go running around at night...you probably can reason out most of the hard parts..unlike Dark Souls when I was SURE I had everything worked out at times and was still bent over and violated....
Old 04-25-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

another reason I want to try this out...I don't think it is going to be super hard though unless you don't plan out your actions...and go running around at night...you probably can reason out most of the hard parts..unlike Dark Souls when I was SURE I had everything worked out at times and was still bent over and violated....
I think it sounds super-cool too. However, I think most gamers of today are just going to get pissed off at it the first time they screw something up and have to start the whole fucking game over.
Old 04-25-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dunno, Demon's/Dark Souls seem to be selling pretty well, and I doubt this game will be more difficult than them.
Old 04-25-12, 12:49 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by flashburn
I dunno, Demon's/Dark Souls seem to be selling pretty well, and I doubt this game will be more difficult than them.
I guess it depends on how you are punished when you die. In a lot of ways, when you get killed in Demon/Dark, it was a learning experience. If you get yourself into a situation in Dragon's Dogma that you can not get out of...and you keep getting killed, it might be more frustrating even if it is actually an easier game...
Old 04-25-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess it depends on how you are punished when you die. In a lot of ways, when you get killed in Demon/Dark, it was a learning experience. If you get yourself into a situation in Dragon's Dogma that you can not get out of...and you keep getting killed, it might be more frustrating even if it is actually an easier game...
Well, that just sounds like poor game design then. Unless of course it's just that you sucking is the reason why you keep dying. But that is no different than Souls.
Old 04-25-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Well, that just sounds like poor game design then. Unless of course it's just that you sucking is the reason why you keep dying. But that is no different than Souls.
Agreed. Difficulty is fine, but if it does not teach you something towards your next encounter, then it is just difficult for the sake of difficult which all points to...shotty game design.

Then again, I'm the complete opposite of Shagrath and absolutely adore Skyrim. So, despite the initial interest, I'll probably pass on this one.
Old 04-25-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't get why one save file means you you would have to start the whole game over. Just reload your last save.
Old 04-25-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I think by only making one difficulty option available they're losing a lot more sales. I would get Dark Souls if they would patch an easy mode option. If there's no easy or normal mode in Dragons Dogma I won't buy it.
Old 04-25-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
I think by only making one difficulty option available they're losing a lot more sales. I would get Dark Souls if they would patch an easy mode option. If there's no easy or normal mode in Dragons Dogma I won't buy it.
Have you actually played Dark Souls? It isn't as difficult as it seems once you get used to it. You just have to learn from your mistakes.
Old 04-25-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I don't get why one save file means you you would have to start the whole game over. Just reload your last save.
What if you saved somewhere, and then realized that you can't make it out of said place back to safety? Maybe that means you should really only save in a safe place like a town, but then you might lose an hour of progress or more if you die really deep into a quest.
Old 04-25-12, 03:54 PM
gamer for life

What if you saved somewhere, and then realized that you can't make it out of said place back to safety? Maybe that means you should really only save in a safe place like a town, but then you might lose an hour of progress or more if you die really deep into a quest.
I think that is what some are worried about. Is there an auto save as well?

It is true, if you spend time with Dark Souls it can actually be an easy game. If you have a single save file on Dragon's Dogma, and you get stuck on something you can't get out of...you are stuck.

Still, from the demo it seemed super easy. I think the game does not scale like the Elder games, so as long as you don't go some place you are not ready for you should be ok.
Old 04-26-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Well that sucks and its inconvenient, but starting the whole game over is an exaggeration.

Still I'll think twice about this one now.
Old 04-26-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Well that sucks and its inconvenient, but starting the whole game over is an exaggeration.
Not if you were dumb and saved in a shitty predicament you can't get yourself out of.

I haven't played the demo yet, so this is all what I've gleamed from reading previews and other people's comments.
Old 04-28-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally played the demo. Seemed pretty fun, with some unique ideas. Overall though, it was easy as shit, and essentially just felt like a button masher with some RPG aspects. I'll probably rent it. Definitely no comparison to Dark Souls.
Old 05-09-12, 10:16 PM
gamer for life

gameinformer gave it a 8.5

http://thesilentchief.com/wp-content...a_gireview.png

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.