Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
re: The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4)

Didn't Ocelot promise to leave this part of the forum years ago? or am I confusing him with someone else?
Old 06-06-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Uncharted was a bit of an improvement over TR but far from perfect. It was more immersive than the recent TR games but the puzzles were a joke, the gunplay was lacking, and the emphasis on shooting galleries really detracted from the experience. The icing on the cake was the supernatural crap that just killed whatever momentum the story had going for it.

Uncharted 2 improved on all those things but still suffered from the same shooting galleries and extreme linearity. I know I'm in the minority, but I think U3 finally improved on all aspects and was the best of the bunch, but I'd still put TR over all three of them.

Anyway, I'm in the dark on tLoU(haven't watched any trailers, checked out reviews or media), so I don't have any expectations thus far.

I enjoy the Uncharted series but I agree with everything you said.

Especially the goofy supernatural stuff and the awful shooting mechanics (baddies taking multiple rounds to go down).
Old 06-06-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uncharted is one of the best series this generation. And one of the best reasons to get a PS3. But yeah, I agree with Corvin. Except that Uncharted 2 is the best game of the series.
Old 06-06-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO any of those reviews mention multiplayer?
Old 06-06-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The IGN ones does. There are 2 different modes with both appearing to be competitive. I don't see co-op like Red Dead based on what I read.
Old 06-06-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V
Huh... most of the reviews in posts above are 9.7 - 10.
Watch Polygon's video review if you get a chance. Those AI issues are pretty bad. When you go into cover, the AI many times will take the same cover as you and walk right through you. Also, once in cover as the AI walks around the enemies don't even see them. Maybe minor issues for some but it does take you out of the immersion of the game. As for the violence, this is supposed to be a "drama" and you're supposed to "feel" for these characters. Doesn't seem natural to walk around with a 14 year girl and then constantly bash enemies faces into the edge of a table. Maybe if the young girl wasn't around it wouldn't seem so brutal.
Old 06-06-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Watch Polygon's video review if you get a chance. Those AI issues are pretty bad. When you go into cover, the AI many times will take the same cover as you and walk right through you. Also, once in cover as the AI walks around the enemies don't even see them. Maybe minor issues for some but it does take you out of the immersion of the game. As for the violence, this is supposed to be a "drama" and you're supposed to "feel" for these characters. Doesn't seem natural to walk around with a 14 year girl and then constantly bash enemies faces into the edge of a table. Maybe if the young girl wasn't around it wouldn't seem so brutal.
Seems like that's the point, to show the brutality of the world that they're in. If I was getting attacked by zombies (or anyone trying to kill and eat me, I suppose), I wouldn't take it easy on them if there was a kid nearby.
Old 06-06-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uncharted was a bit of an improvement over TR but far from perfect. It was more immersive than the recent TR games but the puzzles were a joke, the gunplay was lacking, and the emphasis on shooting galleries really detracted from the experience. The icing on the cake was the supernatural crap that just killed whatever momentum the story had going for it.

Uncharted 2 improved on all those things but still suffered from the same shooting galleries and extreme linearity. I know I'm in the minority, but I think U3 finally improved on all aspects and was the best of the bunch, but I'd still put TR over all three of them.

Anyway, I'm in the dark on tLoU(haven't watched any trailers, checked out reviews or media), so I don't have any expectations thus far.
I agree with pretty much all of this. I really liked the first Uncharted game, but there were quite a few aspects of it where even the older Tomb Raider games were better, mainly the adventure/puzzle portion of the game. Still looking forward to the new Tomb Raider since I haven't played it yet. The Uncharted games always had a much better story, voice acting and presentation than the old Tomb Raider's but a lot of people extrapolate that and place all the elements of Uncharted much higher than warranted.

I think I still liked Uncharted 2 the most, but that may be a time and place type of thing rather than it being better than 3.
Old 06-06-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Seems like that's the point, to show the brutality of the world that they're in. If I was getting attacked by zombies (or anyone trying to kill and eat me, I suppose), I wouldn't take it easy on them if there was a kid nearby.
Yeah really.

"Uh honey, can you turn your head a second while Daddy takes care of the flesh eating zombie? That's a girl."
Old 06-06-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I might say that. Especially as a parent I would try to shield by kids as much as possibly from the brutality of the world.
Old 06-06-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,452 Likes on 988 Posts

I love that you are trying to apply real world logic to a video game.
Old 06-06-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

Hey, you have to buy it with real-world money, right?
Old 06-06-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
I love that you are trying to apply real world logic to a video game.
There are still a few people on the internet with a soul and don't believe senseless violence makes a good game. Hard to believe I know, but true.
Old 06-06-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I might say that. Especially as a parent I would try to shield by kids as much as possibly from the brutality of the world.
If the world has gone to shit, it doesn't make sense to keep shielding a kid from that reality. Just like the children in The Walking Dead.
Old 06-06-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,157 Posts

There are still a few people on the internet with a soul and don't believe senseless violence makes a good game. Hard to believe I know, but true.
Oh c'mon. The setting begets violence. There are plenty of games with different settings that don't use violence. It's like complaining about shooting people in a WWII game.
Old 06-06-13, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 967 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
It's like complaining about shooting people in a WWII game.
Damnit, where's my M*A*S*H sim?
Old 06-06-13, 11:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MASH was in Korea.
Old 06-07-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was actually pretty skeptical of this game given that it looked like a "stealth" version of Uncharted with zombies, but it looks like Naughty Dog knocked it out of the park.

They really are a hell of a studio.
Old 06-07-13, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It seems some have already made up their mind not to buy this game, and are cherry picking reviews to confirm their bias.
Old 06-07-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,100 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I agree with pretty much all of this. I really liked the first Uncharted game, but there were quite a few aspects of it where even the older Tomb Raider games were better, mainly the adventure/puzzle portion of the game. Still looking forward to the new Tomb Raider since I haven't played it yet. The Uncharted games always had a much better story, voice acting and presentation than the old Tomb Raider's but a lot of people extrapolate that and place all the elements of Uncharted much higher than warranted.

I think I still liked Uncharted 2 the most, but that may be a time and place type of thing rather than it being better than 3.
I put TR above Uncharted, but below Uncharted 2. UC2 had great plotting, strong characters, great locales and an okay storyline. The Gameplay in TR blew it away, but it was a very memorable, enjoyable experience. I did find myself struggling to finish UC2 though, near the end it became a repetitive shooter, unfortunately TR also hit those pitfalls from time to time but at least the shooting was fun in that one.

Otherwise that's my main concern with Last of Us, the gameplay in Uncharted has never been its strong suit.
Old 06-07-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 967 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
MASH was in Korea.
Ya think? Just tossing out a war game idea where you didn't have to shoot people.
Old 06-07-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ya think? Just tossing out a war game idea where you didn't have to shoot people.
I was going to call him a "war nazi", but I was afraid I'd get corrected.
Old 06-07-13, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FWIW, the demo has an option to turn off the gore...

Like most demos, it was okay, but I'm sure the full game will be a lot better. The demo for Uncharted 1 turned me off and I was really glad I gave that game a second chance when it dropped in price.

My big concern for this one is if I'll have any fun playing it or not. I'm not really sure the setting and tone is my thing. It took me almost a year to finish Resident Evil 4, despite that being an amazing game, haha...
Old 06-09-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

Finally got around to playing the demo. It seemed alright and had good potential. I'm not sure if I'd call it "fun".

I did not care for the zombie designs at all, what with their faces crusted over with mushrooms, or whatever the hell that is. Just a poor/lazy design choice that does not look good or interesting. What's wrong with the standard decaying zombie face anyways? Don't mess with perfection.
Old 06-09-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They aren't zombies. The design choice fits with the story of what happened to them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.