Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What difficulty are people playing on? That could make a difference. Shipwreck on CAG recommended easy and since I'm not a stealth fan I figured 'why not?' I can't recall the last game I did on easy, but it does sound like this one gets frustrating. I'd rather swallow my gamer pride and enjoy the experience than bang my head against the wall just to make it through normal.
Gamers these days.
Old 06-23-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I Juststarted this. It really fantastic. I'm about an hour or so in.

Can't wait to see more.
Old 06-23-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 324 Posts

Does anyone else have their PS3 fan go crazy when playing this? I have a 120gb Slim launch model and I only use it for this, MLB 13, and my Blu-Ray watching.

Five minutes in and the thing sounds like it's going to pass out.
Old 06-23-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

I just finished this and loved it. It was one hell of a ride. I was surprised to see in the end credits that
Spoiler:
Nolan North played David.
What a wonderful performance that was. The same can be said for Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker. They really kept me invested in the story of Ellie and Joel.

This could have easily been a movie. I'm surprised that Naughty Dog stopped at simply including a play all function for the cinematic gallery. They could have easily added some bonus scenes (once you finished the game, of course) that could piece the scenes together where originally there would have been gameplay instead. Because, quite frankly, there's no film adaptation needed (assuming one is being considered).
Old 06-23-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Does anyone else have their PS3 fan go crazy when playing this? I have a 120gb Slim launch model and I only use it for this, MLB 13, and my Blu-Ray watching.

And to be totally accurate, a 120 GB Slim isn't a launch model. If it dies, call Sony - they replaced my launch 60 GB model for $100 (I had to include the original HDD in the unit though). In the meantime, if you're not a PS Plus member, grab a USB Memory Stick and back up all your game saves.
Old 06-23-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I just finished this and loved it. It was one hell of a ride. I was surprised to see in the end credits that
Spoiler:
Nolan North played David.
What a wonderful performance that was. The same can be said for Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker. They really kept me invested in the story of Ellie and Joel.

This could have easily been a movie. I'm surprised that Naughty Dog stopped at simply including a play all function for the cinematic gallery. They could have easily added some bonus scenes (once you finished the game, of course) that could piece the scenes together where originally there would have been gameplay instead. Because, quite frankly, there's no film adaptation needed (assuming one is being considered).
Pretty sure someone posted a youtube vid here of all the cinematics edited together.
Old 06-23-13, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
Pretty sure someone posted a youtube vid here of all the cinematics edited together.
Searched through the thread and only saw the LBP version of the trailer posted.
Old 06-23-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts

Hmmm, maybe I saw it on one of the game sites like Kotaku or something.
Old 06-23-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

And to be totally accurate, a 120 GB Slim isn't a launch model. If it dies, call Sony - they replaced my launch 60 GB model for $100 (I had to include the original HDD in the unit though). In the meantime, if you're not a PS Plus member, grab a USB Memory Stick and back up all your game saves.
To clarify by launch model I mean it was the first slim released after the fat ones were phased out.

I was thinking of trading it in for a Super Slim 500gb bundle, but even with a trade in deal, I'd still be about $150 out of pocket. I guess that's not bad when you said you paid $100 for them to repair your 60gb.
Old 06-23-13, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...e_amaa/caorlh8
Old 06-23-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

I was thinking of trading it in for a Super Slim 500gb bundle, but even with a trade in deal, I'd still be about $150 out of pocket. I guess that's not bad when you said you paid $100 for them to repair your 60gb.
Nope. It was $100 to swap my YLODed 60 GB phat model for a "recertified" (read : reconditioned to new condition) 160 GB Slim model. They offered to repair the 60 phat for more (I think it might have been $150), but since my game saves were already stored in the cloud I preferred a much quieter new model instead.
It is incredibly stupid that you can't swap the HDD into a new system without reformatting it, BTW. I totally disagree with Sony's policy on that front.
Old 06-23-13, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No wonder the name Ashley Johnson sounded so familiar:

Old 06-24-13, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To clarify by launch model I mean it was the first slim released after the fat ones were phased out.

The current PS3 design is garbage...have one in my kid's room, and it's ugly, it feels flimsy, the way the disk tray opens is dumb, and it seems to me like the disk drive is a little bit loud.

I'd say if you can get the original slim, go for that. Or better yet, watch some youtube videos on how to open your existing one up and clean it out before it dies. I replaced the lens assembly on my slim about 6 months ago, and I think the only tool I had to buy was the special screwdriver for the 2-3 screws up front. The slim is much easier to open up than the fat was.
Old 06-24-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine does this when it first starts to load. A few times, it has failed to load and crashed my PS3. Other times, it takes 5 - 10 minutes to completely load the game. It must be a resource hog.
Old 06-24-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

She's from Growing Pains, right? It drove me crazy trying to remember where I recognized her from when she showed up in Avengers (though these days, you can look it up within seconds).
Old 06-24-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What difficulty are people playing on? That could make a difference. Shipwreck on CAG recommended easy and since I'm not a stealth fan I figured 'why not?' I can't recall the last game I did on easy, but it does sound like this one gets frustrating. I'd rather swallow my gamer pride and enjoy the experience than bang my head against the wall just to make it through normal.
Didn't he also dislike it due to it being predominantly story and cut-scene? I'd guess that on easy the gameplay whizzed by too easily for him. Also, going by their comments on the CAGcast, he and Cheapy do seem to set their games to easy quite often (whereas Wombat never finishes them).
Old 06-24-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It just occurred to me that this might be the first game where I just find gameplay/story videos and consume it that way. The game sounds brilliant from an artistic standpoint, but I just despise stealth games.
Old 06-24-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
It just occurred to me that this might be the first game where I just find gameplay/story videos and consume it that way. The game sounds brilliant from an artistic standpoint, but I just despise stealth games.
I'm the same way. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the previews but I did not expect so much stealth. Just not something I enjoy.
Old 06-24-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Didn't he also dislike it due to it being predominantly story and cut-scene? I'd guess that on easy the gameplay whizzed by too easily for him. Also, going by their comments on the CAGcast, he and Cheapy do seem to set their games to easy quite often (whereas Wombat never finishes them).
He complained about the gameplay being too repetitious. They are such Xbox fanboys. Can't even talk positively about a PS3 exclusive that is getting perfect scores.

I think if you play it on easy, you are sucking a lot of fun out of the game. The game gives you a lot of flexibility to approach each situation. Hell sometimes I just run my ass off and get out of there. The clickers are really scary when they charge you.
Old 06-24-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I get why some people would be turned off by it but I loved the approach to stealth in this game. You have the listening mode which gives you the ability to "see" nearby enemies and then there's the eerie almost whirring dissonant cue that alerts you when you're at risk of being spotted. It's just a matter of taking your time and deciding who's worth fighting, spotting who's likely to pass you bye and keep on their way to parts unknown, and whom it's in your best interest to kill.

And should you get spotted, the shotgun comes in handy.

As I said before, I wish this game's approach to combat had been the one employed by Tomb Raider (instead of the waves of enemies approach that game took).
Old 06-24-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in Pittsburgh now I'm really enjoying this game. I feel that story and acting wise, it is almost as strong as telltales walking dead, but of course with real gameplay (I can see how some wouldn't like it but I'm really enjoying it. Lots of different ways to go about each section). And I can't wait to find out what happens next.

As a big fan of postapocalyptic stories, this is for me the most fully realized and enjoyable game yet.
Old 06-24-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really want to love this game, and I do love a lot of things about it, but since I am admittedly awful at stealth the gameplay is killing my enjoyment of it. Doesn't help that each section with enemies feels pretty much the same.

As I said before, I wish this game's approach to combat had been the one employed by Tomb Raider (instead of the waves of enemies approach that game took).
Oh hell no!
Old 06-24-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Oh hell no!
The wave approach took me out of Tomb Raider. I loved the puzzle solving (even if it was dumbed down) and the exploration but really hated the combat. I actually found myself not relating to Lara since I ended up killing hundreds upon hundreds of people. It made it laughable when the cinematic sequences are written/directed in such a way that we're supposed to believe Lara's supposed to be outmatched, with little to no ammo, and mostly relying on a bow and some arrows, only for the actual game to give you an endless supply of ammo and an endless supply of moving targets in ridiculous shooting gallery scenarios.

I liked having little to no ammo in The Last of Us and improvising different ways to either avoid or dispatch the occasional roving band of enemies. The only two times the game annoyed me was in the school (when you face the first bloater) and when Joel was hanging from that trap and suddenly I was graced with unlimited ammo because someone must've figured gamers needed a typical wave of enemies scenario lest they be turned off.
Old 06-25-13, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 196 Likes on 133 Posts

I liked having little to no ammo in The Last of Us and improvising different ways to either avoid or dispatch the occasional roving band of enemies.
I like this aspect as well. Even though I'm fully loaded with weapons, I'm still hesitant to use them as them first in a situation. Unless I'm being flanked, I try and find ways around larger groups (one gunshot and you get swarmed).
Old 06-25-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

For me the game is ok. Glad I rented it and not paid full price for it. All the praise for the story, acting, design are all warranted, but the actual game play is just not that fun for me. I loved all the Uncharted games with 2 being maybe one of my favorite games of all time, but this is even more linear and constrictive to me. You can't even jump unless you are on a platform and need to jump down from it. I dislike the deteriorating weapons as well. Don’t like it in Dead Island and don’t like it here. I prefer once you get a weapon it remains the same until you drop it or exchange it. I get they were going for more realism but then how come your gun can fire endless rounds without needing to be cleaned or jam every so often?

I will be returning without finishing which I never thought would be the case.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.