Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Skylanders, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
re: Skylanders, Anyone?

Originally Posted by wlj
i have no clue about Skylanders, but I figure I will know before too long. I have a 3 year old right now. Anyway, my question is, do all of the figures work with each new Skylander game? Or do you have to buy completely new figures when a new game is released?
The old figures work BUT they always add a new element that tries to funnel you to purchase the newer figures. The best time to get in would be now where you can start getting many of the older figures quite cheap and hold off on the purchase of the newer figures until they cycle into the cheaper prices.
Old 04-17-14, 08:59 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
They should add Crash Bandicoot.
Spyro is the only 'real' character from a previous video game.
Old 04-17-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never thought much of the Spyro games so it didn't hurt my feelings when they took the current games in a different direction while adding several cool characters. Spyro himself is a bit of a bore.
Old 04-17-14, 09:07 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At what age do you think my son would be able to play these games? He is 3 right now. I play alot of video games, but I play on the computer with a keyboard and mouse. So he really only associates the 360 with a Netflix/Hulu device. I have purchased an old Marvel Heroes Super Squad game for the PS2. I hope to introduce to him what a gaming console is. I am sure he won't be able to handle that game all that well, but he loves that show so I figured if I played it and showed him how it worked he would develop interest. He is pretty good with iPad games. He also has a LeapPad 2 ,but we made the mistake of downloading him a bunch of cartoons..so he just associates the LeapPad with something to watch, not play.

I did test him with the kinect a couple of weeks ago and he did pretty decent with the river rafting and bounce ball hit minigames in Kinect Adventures. My issue was getting him to stand in the right spot. He would get excited and move all around and the camera would lose him.

Being a video game addict, I have really been counting the days until I can play games with my son. I can see myself and him really getting sucked into this Skylanders stuff and Lego games. I can't wait!

I am 35 years old, but I am just a big kid.
Old 04-17-14, 10:05 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
i have no clue about Skylanders, but I figure I will know before too long. I have a 3 year old right now. Anyway, my question is, do all of the figures work with each new Skylander game? Or do you have to buy completely new figures when a new game is released?
Short answer, yes... all of the characters so far have been forward compatible.

All of the characters for Spyro's Adventure (the first game, released in 2012) work on Giants (the second game, released in 2012).

All of the characters for Spyro's Adventure and Giants work on Swap Force (the third game, released in 2013).

We can safely assume that all of the characters from the previous games will work on the fourth game (to be released in 2014).
Old 04-17-14, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter was playing skylanders when she was 3 so it should be fine.
Old 04-17-14, 11:02 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Krayzie
My daughter was playing skylanders when she was 3 so it should be fine.

cool, he is an "early" 3 year old meaning he just turned 3 in January. He develops fast, so maybe later in the year he can give it a shot. woot!
Old 04-17-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rumor is that Skylanders 4 is called Skylanders: Trap Team. If true then I'm not sure what to think about that. We'll see if it is evil focused. That "might" get me back in the game to some degree.
Old 04-19-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't mind seeing remastered versions of the first two games on one disc for the next-gen consoles. They could include:

1. All the extra levels from the first game and improved graphics across both games.
2. The ability to jump being carried over despite the silly ways they try to elevate you in the games.
3. The use of Swap Force figures in both games even if nothing extra is added for them.
4. The use of the newest portal in order for it to be a game only release.

I know that this is likely not to happen but it would be nice. However, since they bank on sales of figures more than the software itself I am not holding my breath.
Old 04-21-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

So I finally gave my little girl Freeze Blade and Trap Shadow (though she was way more enamored with Scratch. In the midst of telling her that we finally have all the swappable characters, I take a look at the back of the card. Who the heck is Doom Stone and when is he coming out? *sigh*
Old 04-21-14, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
So I finally gave my little girl Freeze Blade and Trap Shadow (though she was way more enamored with Scratch. In the midst of telling her that we finally have all the swappable characters, I take a look at the back of the card. Who the heck is Doom Stone and when is he coming out? *sigh*

This week if you live near times square!

http://kotaku.com/the-final-skylande...TFins6ljp_fBng
Old 04-21-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally finished cataloging all of my Skylanders. Here is a sample of how I organized them in a word document. Each element gets a page so that there is space for the 4th game's figures, if we decided to get them.

Spoiler:

MAGIC
Spyro's Adventure:
Double Trouble Level 10 Fully Upgraded Top
Spyro Level 8 Fully Upgraded Top
Dark Spyro Level 6 Fully Upgraded Top
Legendary Spyro Level 6 Fully Upgraded Bot
Voodood Level 10 Fully Upgraded Bot
Wrecking Ball Level 4 Fully Upgraded Top

Giants:
Ninjini Level 7 Fully Upgraded Top
Scarlet Ninjini (Special) Level 8 Fully Upgraded Bottom
Ninjini (In Package) Level 1 No Upgrades
Double Trouble (Series 2) Level 1 Fully Upgraded Bottom
Pop Fizz Level 8 Fully Upgraded Top
Punch Pop Fizz Level 6 Fully Upgraded Bottom
Spyro (Series 2) Level 8 Fully Upgraded Bottom
Wrecking Ball (Series 2) Level 1 Fully Upgraded Top

Specials:
Mini-Jini Sidekick

Swap Force:
Trap Shadow Level 6 Fully Upgraded Top & Top
Hoot Loop Level 1 Fully Upgraded Top & Top
Enchanted Hoot Loop Level 1 Fully Upgraded Bottom & Bottom
Dune Bug Level 3 Fully Upgraded Top
Super Gulp Pop Fizz (Series 2) Level 8 Fully Upgraded Top
Mega Ram Spyro (Series 3) Level 4 Fully Upgraded Top
Star Strike Level 1 Fully Upgraded Bottom
Star Strike (Lightcore) Level 8 Fully Upgraded Top
Enchanted Star Strike Level 9 Fully Upgraded Bottom

There is space between the figures, level, amount of upgrades bought and whether the upgrade path, paths for Swap Force, is on the top or bottom.
Old 04-23-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

New Skylanders Trap Team trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E8T78t9iRjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-23-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Article from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewa...ers-trap-team/

Skylanders Trap Team will include more than 40 unique, “trappable” villains and and 60 new playable Skylanders. It will also fully support all existing Skylander characters. The game will be released on October 5th in North America for Nintendo’s Wii, Wii U and 3DS; Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and Sony’s PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

Looks like we get yet another new portal too.
Old 04-23-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Does 60 new skylanders mean new characters, or like past games a mix of new and resculpted old? I kinda hope it's the former. Not sure how I feel about these trap crystals, seems like a way to save money by not having to fully sculpt all the characters.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-23-14 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 07:45 PM

Aw crap... I'm tempted.

But I can also wait until Christmas for the deals (like I have with the three previous games).
Old 04-23-14, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I had to bet they are going to release 60 "new" figures with a mix of brand new and remixed versions along with all of those villain crystals that they can mass produce for cheap and try to sell them to us as something different for 5-8 bucks apiece. I don't really see how this is that innovative and unless they add online multiplayer I just can't see myself gearing up to potentially but 60+ new pieces of things for a new game. Also, I would prefer to just have figures of the villains rather than those silly looking crystals. You will have to catalog them to even know who you have trapped unless there is a specific trap for each villain, which then will be an even bigger nightmare for collectors and their wallets. Ugh!
Old 04-23-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

*40* trappable villians?!?! PLUS 60 "new" figures!?!!!?! AND a new portal!?!?!

We've not even opened half of the Swap Force stuff we've bought and have played it very slowly - probably at best only half way through.

I was not too impressed with the Vicarious Visions Wii version... it'll take Toys for Bob making the game again to get me interested. We've not yet opened the XBox version (the kids do not know I have it) but I still like the look of the first two over the Swap Force redesign.
Old 04-23-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. I don't know what to think. It looks really cool, and it was what I was originally hoping for (playing as the villains)...but it's just too much. There's not enough game content for the figures/characters we already have, and now you're going to throw another 100 into the mix?!? My son will definitely be getting it for Christmas, but I don't think I can be the completist with this one that I had been in the past.
Old 04-23-14, 09:31 PM

Kotaku has a pretty comprehensive article about it with some cool screenshots:

http://kotaku.com/meet-the-new-skyla...eam-1566818983

Ok, ok. Here's the short version for all of you Skylanders fans out there fiending for more lovably adorable action figures:
  • The game is going to launch in the U.S. on October 5, 2014. Activision representatives didn't parse out when it would appear on individual platforms.
  • Trap Team will appear on all the same systems as 2013's awesome Swap Force: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, the Wii and Wii U, and—last but not least—the Nintendo 3DS.2
  • There are "more than 40" trappable villains spread across the eight elements, including Kaos himself. Well, a version of Kaos at least. They were pretty cryptic about that last part.
  • There are "more than 50" new Skylanders characters and figures. Activision representatives told me that none of these will be swappable like the special figures released for Swap Force. Rather, it sounds similar to 2012's Giants—a handful of the new characters will be rarified traptanium-wielding trap masters. And the others will just be good old fashioned Skylanders.
  • There are going to be "multiple styles of crystals" across the eight elements, though Activision didn't specify exactly how many.
  • As with previous Skylanders games, the toys will be platform agnostic. So if you're a PlayStation person, you can still take them over to your Xbox-owning friends house to play.
  • Older Skylanders figures will be compatible with the new game, but you won't be able to bring the new characters or toys into previous titles.
Old 04-23-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It says one villain per trap crystal and 40 villains to trap. Ugh! Also, there is no mention at all of online play, which I think they are scared to put in but shouldn't be for at least the next-gen systems. I couldn't care any less if Nintendo's consoles didn't get online but Sony's and Microsoft's having it should be a foregone conclusion.
Old 04-23-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

So few games targeted at kids have true online play. PvZ Garden Warfare, Star Fox 3D....I can't think of many others. Nobody wants to be the first kiddie game that enabled a predator.
Old 04-23-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
So few games targeted at kids have true online play. PvZ Garden Warfare, Star Fox 3D....I can't think of many others. Nobody wants to be the first kiddie game that enabled a predator.
They are already the predators for taking our money and providing very little differentiated content for our expenditures.
Old 04-24-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds interesting... Again no Vita love :-( Also, the competition will be tough if Disney brings out Marvel Infinity.
Old 04-24-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Looks like we get yet another new portal too.
I'm sure they are kicking themselves for not thinking of some reason to require a new one for Giants. I see every new game from here on out having a new one.

At least the new game makes shopping for Christmas this year a little easier.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.