Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Grand Theft Auto 5 to a V

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 to a V

Originally Posted by Music
The car with the upgrades and custom plate get delivered to your house during the game and you get a message on your phone about it.

Until then, it won't show up.

For the suit - Michael already has a suit in his wardrobe.
Hmm closest thing I saw was pants for a suit and a polo shirt, but that wasn't good enough for Lester.
Old 09-19-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Are there any arcade games playable? I haven't come across any yet. I'm assuming there's some game apps you download onto your in game smart phone?
There are Qub3d machines inside the Life Invader building, but I doubt they're playable. Still a nice little callback to GTA IV.

I just finished Flight School with Michael. Managed to get gold in all 12 lessons. When I did it with Trevor, I only got 11. That second Helicopter lesson is a bitch.
Old 09-19-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Maybe it's just because I haven't played much GTA, but is it usually ridiculously difficult to lose the cops?
Easiest way that I've found to shake them quickly is to jump onto the railroad tracks. It's usually taken me to areas that get you out of the police car cones. Just gotta watch for trains.
Old 09-19-13, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Also, in general, I'm really enjoying the atmosphere, world and story, but the gameplay just doesn't do much for me. It doesn't seem to hold a candle to open world games like Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption, the Saints Row series, or even stuff like Prototype or the original Crackdown.
I agree that it seems to be harder to lose the cops. I got a four star rating and headed into the hills after a lengthy pursuit through the city. It took forever to lose the cops and by the end of it i had kinda lost interest in playing anymore for the moment.

And i agree that the GTA series simply does not have the game play to match other sandbox games. I really think the problem lays in the character movement. In GTA the character feels clunky...even when running at top speed. In a game like Crackdown, Saints Row 4 or Just Cause 2 the freedom allowed to the character and movement feel very very fluid. It helps that two of those games allow super hero type abilities which really open the game world, but the grapple hook from JC2 is inspired, and that combination with the parachute is such a winner. I guess i have been spoiled with JC2 as now having a one time use of a parachute in GTA V is just frustrating. They seem to have tried replicating the character movement from Sleeping Dogs, but not captured it as well. Hopefully over time this gripe will get less and less, but i doubt it.

The game is a true winner for design, and the storyline and multiple characters are certainly keeping me invested in the game...but it still has many aspects that i would love to see improved.
Old 09-19-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just because I haven't played much GTA, but is it usually ridiculously difficult to lose the cops? I was on the early mission at the recycling plant last night and it took me a stupid long time, twice. The first time, I was driving around for somewhere around 20 minutes. I'd get a mostly clear radar and then see cops converging from multiple directions, with no good route to avoid them. If I tried to hide, the two other dimwits in the car would start shooting as soon as the cops got within range. Finally I just drove out to the pier, ran down to the end, hopped into the ocean and swam back underneath. Lost them that way, but then I couldn't get back to aforementioned dimwits in time, so it failed the mission for me. The second time, I was driving for 5-10 minutes and felt like I just lucked into getting away. Any tips? If I don't figure it out, I can see this getting frustrating to the point of giving up on the game, as I'm sure it's a regular occurrence.
So this is just my personal experience from the handful of chases I've been in so far (including the recycling plant mission you mentioned). Basically when you are being chased and your mini map is flashing red and blue you just need to drive as fast as you can away from the cops on the map. Franklin's driving special "bullet time" helps a lot in this as if you have cops on your tail you can use it to take corners at a really fast speed.

After you have gotten to a point where you lost them the mini map isn't flashing red and blue anymore but you will see cops on the map still searching for you with field of vision cones being shown. At this point you should find some place to hide like a dark alley or I even was on foot once and just went into a bush. After a few seconds if you are properly covered and/or you don't show up in the cone of vision of the cops, your wanted level is dropped.

Maybe this is what you were doing and were just having a tough time of it, but just wanted to let you know whats worked for me.

Last edited by rocketsauce; 09-19-13 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Grammered betterer
Old 09-19-13, 09:01 AM
Suspended

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2O1ThAwnKBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-19-13, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
After the order is sent, you need to take the type of car it was for to a Los Santos Customs shop, pay to fix it so it's in like new condition, then choose the selection that appears letting you customize it as written in the order. After that it seems any car saved in your safehouse/garage/driveway will have the custom plate.
Not sure if that actually works or if you were just fucking with him, but the car and plate show up automatically, it is just buggy getting it to actually work between the app and game. Hopefully Chrishicks didnt waste too much of his time with that.
Old 09-19-13, 09:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I got a text that my car was ready, but the personalized license was not on it. I went back into the app and customized a little and resent the order. Hopefully that pushes it down.
Old 09-19-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
So this is just my personal experience from the handful of chases I've been in so far (including the recycling plant mission you mentioned). Basically when you are being chased and your mini map is flashing red and blue you just need to drive as fast as you can away from the cops on the map. Franklin's driving special "bullet time" helps a lot in this as if you have cops on your tail you can use it to take corners at a really fast speed.

After you have gotten to a point where you lost them the mini map isn't flashing red and blue anymore but you will see cops on the map still searching for you with field of vision cones being shown. At this point you should find some place to hide like a dark alley or I even was on foot once and just went into a bush. After a few seconds if you are properly covered and/or you don't show up in the cone of vision of the cops, your wanted level is dropped.

Maybe this is what you were doing and were just having a tough time of it, but just wanted to let you know whats worked for me.
Thanks. That's pretty much how I was approaching it, but the biggest problem was that the other idiots in my car would always shoot at the cops, rather than just let them pass by when I was hidden. When I eventually beat it, it was from avoiding any sight cones coming up on my radar at all. Hopefully it was just specific to that mission and not an ongoing things.

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Easiest way that I've found to shake them quickly is to jump onto the railroad tracks. It's usually taken me to areas that get you out of the police car cones. Just gotta watch for trains.
Good tip. I'll keep an eye out for those.
Old 09-19-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I wanna ask again:
Originally Posted by slop101
Jeez, the notifications on this are incessant! I found out how to turn them off in the options, but the notification about getting iFruit on my phone still keeps popping up, and I can't find an option to disable it.
Does anyone know how to disable the notifications about the iFruit app?
Old 09-19-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wanna ask againoes anyone know how to disable the notifications about the iFruit app?
Download the app?
Old 09-19-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Franklin tried peeking into the private dancing room without paying for a dance. The bouncers immediately jumped me, so I ran out into the parking lot where they capped me in the head before I could get away.
Same thing happened to me. I took a couple of hits to the head and they turned into bullets once I hit the parking lot running. I didn't make it very far.
Old 09-19-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Download the app?
I don't have iOS
Old 09-19-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have iOS
Sounds like you better buy an iOS device then!
Old 09-19-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wanna ask againoes anyone know how to disable the notifications about the iFruit app?
On your iphone/ipod/ipad go to settings -> notification center -> then under where it says include find the app. Once you are there change the Alert Style to None, set Badge App Icon and Sounds to Off then scroll a little further down and turn Show in Notification Center Off as well as Show on Lock Screen. At that point it should leave you alone completely. You can remove other apps as well that you didn't realize were active there.
Old 09-19-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How the hell do you make any money in this game? I've seen like one gas station so far, and I guess you can rob them? It's kind of pathetic how few buildings you can actually go into. So far my impression is that this game might be the most overhyped game this generation, which I guess is appropriate since this generation is basically over. I should of known better I guess.
Rob stores, Rob people, do taxi missions, rob Armored Trucks, play the stock market etc etc etc.
Old 09-19-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is a good piece, loved his final write up:

The thing about this game, I’ve realized, is that people are going to see what they want to see in it, because this game quite willingly offers it up to them. Game-culture torchbearers will see the return to ultraviolence that they want; dads looking for 30 minutes of mirth after putting the kids to bed will find just that; culture warriors looking for a game to pillory will have plenty to work with; games-are-art drumbeaters will find what they need; and the vast majority of people who play this game, people who are looking to be entertained for hours and hours, will certainly not be disappointed. How about me? I found a daring, contradictory, ambitious, huge, flawed, funny, beautiful, sometimes retrograde, and always compelling video game, unafraid to engage with the culture at large. That’s more than I can say for any of its peers. And that’s how I’ll treat it.
You will get exactly what you want out of it. I'm in the bolded. lol
Old 09-19-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I had the exact opposite happen to me. Cops were having a shootout with 2 guys. I pulled over and shot them and then the cops shot me and next thing I saw was "wasted" and I was out $155.00.

Also, is anyone having trouble getting their custom plate to actually show up? Is there some kind of magic trick that needs to be done? I had some serious issues getting the app to stay working but it's been OK for a few hours now(knock on wood) but all it ever says is "order sent" when I set the plate and customize the car but nothing ever comes of it.
There are 'random' events (actually highligted on the mini map) like in RDR, where you can actually assist and help and then just police chasing baddies (Where you shouldn't try to help. Just take the profit off the bodies!)
Old 09-19-13, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have iOS
Whoops, sounds like I misunderstood the complaint. Sorry. No advice to offer.
Old 09-19-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shumway
On your iphone/ipod/ipad go to settings -> notification center -> then under where it says include find the app. Once you are there change the Alert Style to None, set Badge App Icon and Sounds to Off then scroll a little further down and turn Show in Notification Center Off as well as Show on Lock Screen. At that point it should leave you alone completely. You can remove other apps as well that you didn't realize were active there.
I believe he was talking about the in game notifications telling you to download the iFruit app. The one's that appear in the upper left corner of the game. At least that's how I took it.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Rob stores, Rob people, do taxi missions, rob Armored Trucks, play the stock market etc etc etc.
I've noticed a total of one gas station so far. It seems like you can't rob any actual stores (like Ammunation, clothing stores, etc)? I've yet to find any of the convenience stores or whatever other ones are actually rob-able. It's amazing how unintuitive this game is. I can't believe some of you are praising it's game design.
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

I found a movie theatre and watched about 5 minutes of some British film about a depressed robot, but got bored and left. Too many distractions in this game...
Old 09-19-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to say you can disable in your game.
Old 09-19-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've noticed a total of one gas station so far. It seems like you can't rob any actual stores (like Ammunation, clothing stores, etc)? I've yet to find any of the convenience stores or whatever other ones are actually rob-able. It's amazing how unintuitive this game is. I can't believe some of you are praising it's game design.
Some people will like the game, some people won't. That's okay. I mean you can call it overhyped, but it seems that many are having a good/great time with it. Like the buzzfeed article stated, you are going to find whatever you want in the game, maybe you were expecting something different?
Old 09-19-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it's funny how other drivers will road rage on you with little regard to the vehicle you're driving. I was cruising around in a city bus and accidentally tapped what looked like a Prius and the driver spent the next few minutes intentionally ramming me.

I haven't found a store than can be robbed either. I finally found a convenience store I could enter, but there wasn't even a clerk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.