Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews
 



Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-11, 11:41 AM   #26
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Any tips with fighting that guy that is near the first blacksmith you find? He has a ranged lightning type effect, and if you get close he has a massive sword or something that he swings. Maybe I just shouldn't be going there yet? I think I'm level 12 or so.
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: FlasHBurN2012
PSN Name: flashburn2012
My Ever Growing Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:00 PM   #27
Noonan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 7,632
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

He's easy. Just load up on arrows and slowly take him out from afar. The lightning attacks are cake to avoid from far away. He'll never move from that spot if you don't get close.

Just don't venture into the area past him. You'll probably get wiped out at level 12.

Last edited by Noonan; 10-07-11 at 12:23 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:08 PM   #28
Larry C.
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Larry C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Let's Go Heat!
Posts: 7,491
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Guys maybe you can help me decide if this game is for me. I've never been an RPG player but this game looks sick! I do love Darksiders and Dante's. Also Eternal Darkness on GB is one of my favorite games of all time. What do you think???
__________________
Miami Heat Fan since 1987.
Lets Go HEAT!!!
Miami Heat 2006 NBA Champions!
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:18 PM   #29
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
He's easy. Just load up on arrow and slowly take him out from afar. The lightning attacks are cake to avoid from far away. He'll never move from that stop if you don't get close.

Just don't venture into the area past him. You'll probably get wiped out at level 12.
Ah okay, I don't really have many arrows. I'll just come back to him later I think. I need to figure out where to go next, I must of missed something.
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: FlasHBurN2012
PSN Name: flashburn2012
My Ever Growing Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:20 PM   #30
Noonan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 7,632
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

What have you done so far? I'm not far past that point so I should be able to help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:22 PM   #31
Noonan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 7,632
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Guys maybe you can help me decide if this game is for me. I've never been an RPG player but this game looks sick! I do love Darksiders and Dante's. Also Eternal Darkness on GB is one of my favorite games of all time. What do you think???
That's a tough question. I guess it's somewhat similar to games like Darksiders but taken to a much further extreme. You character levels up somewhat like a RPG but this game is action/adventure all the way. Don't bother with it if you lack patience. This is the type of game that will have you play the same area over and over for hours until you're able to make it through the onslaught of enemies without dying.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:44 PM   #32
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Also, it's not for you if you can't stand the idea of possibly playing for 30+ minutes and literally not progressing AT ALL. There are even points were you can regress (to a point).
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: FlasHBurN2012
PSN Name: flashburn2012
My Ever Growing Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:46 PM   #33
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
What have you done so far? I'm not far past that point so I should be able to help.
I killed the Taurus Demon, and that's about it. Oh and that one metal boar, but he wasn't really a boss or anything.
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: FlasHBurN2012
PSN Name: flashburn2012
My Ever Growing Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 12:59 PM   #34
Noonan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 7,632
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Then you'll want to do the church next to ring the 1st bell. Go upstairs from the blacksmith bonfire and head out the way you came in originally. The church is right in front of you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 02:11 PM   #35
Larry C.
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Larry C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Let's Go Heat!
Posts: 7,491
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
That's a tough question. I guess it's somewhat similar to games like Darksiders but taken to a much further extreme. You character levels up somewhat like a RPG but this game is action/adventure all the way. Don't bother with it if you lack patience. This is the type of game that will have you play the same area over and over for hours until you're able to make it through the onslaught of enemies without dying.
Thanks. It looks so good and I like games that make you think. I have patience and like figuring things out. I remember playing the first tomb Raider (BTW I'm not comparing the two) and I loved having to figure out what to do to progress.

What concerns me is all the leveling and carrying different items. Just the thought of all the different options makes my head spin.
__________________
Miami Heat Fan since 1987.
Lets Go HEAT!!!
Miami Heat 2006 NBA Champions!
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!

Last edited by Larry C.; 10-07-11 at 04:40 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 02:26 PM   #36
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Then you'll want to do the church next to ring the 1st bell. Go upstairs from the blacksmith bonfire and head out the way you came in originally. The church is right in front of you.
I was too scared to go into the church, . I lured out two of those knight's that were in there, but there was still another knight with a huge tower shield, I just ran away like a little girl.
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: FlasHBurN2012
PSN Name: flashburn2012
My Ever Growing Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 02:43 PM   #37
Noonan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 7,632
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

It's not that bad in there; mostly just those knights with the red capes. That big guy with a tower shield does not re-spawn after you kill him. I was scared too (it was before I located the bonfire and blacksmith) but took him out without too much issue. Try luring him outside so there's no other obstacles. That is the next area you need to get through though. Gotta ring the bell before moving on.

I wouldn't consider this a spoiler but straight ahead from that entrance to the church is an elevator which loops you back to the area where you first start after the tutorial.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 05:30 PM   #38
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,479
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Any tips with fighting that guy that is near the first blacksmith you find? He has a ranged lightning type effect, and if you get close he has a massive sword or something that he swings. Maybe I just shouldn't be going there yet? I think I'm level 12 or so.
If you're playing a non-ranged melee character like me, I found it pretty easy to get behind him and keep hitting away. Just make sure you're fast enough to stay behind him.

I've made it pretty far in this game now (level 42 I think) and it continually offers up new jawdropping moments. Pretty sure this is my GOTY and it was the one major fall release that I didn't pre-order.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 06:06 PM   #39
mewmartigan
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,029
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

I'm in the Undead Burg right now and i think I'm slowly getting the hang of the game.
I used the bonfire here to do some leveling up, so I've gone from 4 to 12.

I find it difficult that you can continue to get attacked while you are in the equipment screen. Normally I wouldn't do this but I got a red flashing warning that my sword was about to break so I had to switch it out quick. My secondary weapon was the bow which didn't help with 4 guys in my face, haha. Ended up dying and switching weapons at the bonfire.

How do I repair weapons? And can I sell stuff? I have some multiples that are affecting my carry weight and there doesn't seem to be an option to "drop" them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 06:48 PM   #40
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 37,449
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Every post I read in this thread makes me want this game even less. I'm really happy that you all like it and I agree that there should be some difficult games for hardcore gamers who are looking for a challenge, but man, no matter how many raves this game gets, it sounds like nothing I'd like at all. I tend to grab most new releases right away for fear of missing out on something good, but one does not sound appealing to me in the slightest.
__________________
Xbox Live: Decker 01........... My 360's Blog
PSN Gamertag : Decker01

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 07:04 PM   #41
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

You should try to rent or borrow it from someone (or Demon's Souls). There really isn't anything else like it, so you never know. It sounded like it would just be a frustrating and awful time, and at first Demon's Souls was, until it finally clicked, and then it's been awesome ever since.
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: FlasHBurN2012
PSN Name: flashburn2012
My Ever Growing Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 07:10 PM   #42
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 37,449
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

That's fair. I will look for it at Redbox. Never thought about that.
__________________
Xbox Live: Decker 01........... My 360's Blog
PSN Gamertag : Decker01

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 07:21 PM   #43
dvdsteve2000
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dvdsteve2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Posts: 6,117
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Well, just a one day rental for me. Combat was like watching a blindfolded 5 year old trying to hit a pinata, I was hitting everything except my enemies. The game definitely has a good creepiness to it, but I can't get past the controls.
__________________
XBOX 360 GAMERTAG: NACHO DADDY : ACHIEVEMENT POINTS: 39,915
61"Sammy DLP/ 52" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD/ 2 -32"Sammy LCD/ 250GB Elite/ 2 -120GB Elites/ 250gb -kINECT/ 60GB PS3/ Wii(Paperweight)
360 BLOG
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 07:34 PM   #44
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,479
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
How do I repair weapons? And can I sell stuff? I have some multiples that are affecting my carry weight and there doesn't seem to be an option to "drop" them.
If I remember correctly, the first merchant you should meet early in the Undead Burg sells a repair kit, which lets you repair your weapons and armor at a bonfire for souls. He also sells repair powder, which lets you repair things without a bonfire but is a one-time use item. The kit is a much wiser, and almost essential, investment. If you find a blacksmith, he can repair your stuff for souls too (and also sells a repair kit, I think).

Your carry weight doesn't affect anything, only your equipped weight. You can drop non-essential items by going into your inventory, selecting the item, and bringing up the item menu (action button). But as for selling stuff:
Spoiler:
Apparently you can do so later in the game after meeting the right person, but I still haven't found him/her and I'm pretty far along.

Last edited by MoviePage; 10-07-11 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Derpiness
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 07:44 PM   #45
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000 View Post
Well, just a one day rental for me. Combat was like watching a blindfolded 5 year old trying to hit a pinata, I was hitting everything except my enemies. The game definitely has a good creepiness to it, but I can't get past the controls.
Were you locking on to enemies? I find combat to be a lot of fun and strategic.
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: FlasHBurN2012
PSN Name: flashburn2012
My Ever Growing Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 07:49 PM   #46
mewmartigan
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,029
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
If I remember correctly, the first merchant you should meet early in the Undead Burg sells a repair kit, which lets you repair your weapons and armor at a bonfire for souls. He also sells repair powder, which lets you repair things without a bonfire but is a one-time use item. The kit is a much wiser, and almost essential, investment. If you find a blacksmith, he can repair your stuff for souls too (and also sells a repair kit, I think).

Your carry weight doesn't affect anything, only your equipped weight. You can drop non-essential items by going into your inventory, selecting the item, and bringing up the item menu (action button). But as for selling stuff:
Spoiler:
Apparently you can do so later in the game after meeting the right person, but I still haven't found him/her and I'm pretty far along.
Ooh, sweet. I will have to go buy the repair kit.

EDIT: He only has the one time use repair kit. Also, I didn't realize the soap stones you can message other players with are one time use only too!

Only equipped weight makes sense....maybe I will hold onto the stuff in the hopes of selling it.

EDIT: So I just got the Drake Sword but don't have the strength to equip it yet!

Last edited by mewmartigan; 10-08-11 at 05:06 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 09:00 PM   #47
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Crazy good deal right now for the FuturePress hardcover strategy guide, $13.74 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3869930527
Quality of it is supposed to be amazing.
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: FlasHBurN2012
PSN Name: flashburn2012
My Ever Growing Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 09:28 PM   #48
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,295
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Crazy good deal right now for the FuturePress hardcover strategy guide, $13.74 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3869930527
Quality of it is supposed to be amazing.
Thanks for the heads up as I just ordered one! That is a great deal.
__________________
PSN & XBOX: GatorShea
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 10:42 PM   #49
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,479
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Wow, I ordered mine yesterday when it was still $24.99 and it shipped today right before the price drop. I contacted them and they refunded the difference. to Amazon.

It is listed as out of stock again right now, but it was the same when I ordered, so it doesn't hurt to take a chance. I might grab another one at that price.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 01:03 PM   #50
Poink
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: near chicago
Posts: 705
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Ooh, sweet. I will have to go buy the repair kit.

EDIT: He only has the one time use repair kit. Also, I didn't realize the soap stones you can message other players with are one time use only too!

Only equipped weight makes sense....maybe I will hold onto the stuff in the hopes of selling it.

EDIT: So I just got the Drake Sword but don't have the strength to equip it yet!
The message writing "soap" can be used multiple times. It confused me at first with it having a "Quantity: 1" number attached to it, but that's just how it rolls in Dark Souls. So the repair kit may be the same way; you're only BUYING "one," but it can be used more than once.

Kinda confusing, IMO. I had the same problem with Miracles; I was like "I'm not going to pay 4000 souls after using Heal 5 measly times." Then I realized once you buy it, it's yours for life (in that case, resting at a bonfire replenishes the spell).

The Drake Sword is pretty great. Unless you're playing a non-melee character I would get your strength up as soon as possible, since its by far the strongest weapon to be found early on.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

...
Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0