Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Borderlands 2: "xbox360/ps3/pc" -2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Borderlands 2: "xbox360/ps3/pc" -2012

Well I kind of figured we'll see four new charcters though I hate to see them go (npc's). I'll miss Mordecai and Bloodwing which was my favorite and his Pistol mods. Lilith and her phase walking was fun and she was just brutal with her SMG mods. My one regret was not trying to get three other players and everyone just use "Brick". I thought it would be a hoot with four Brick characters just smashing everything in sight. And I thought with the '"zillion weapons" that would be it but I guess we're in store for "Zillion Weapons 2.0".
Old 08-08-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you assuming the new four won't be just as fun as the original four? There was no one to "miss" before BL1. Hell, that dual-wielder guy looks awesome, especially for mixing elemental and raw damage.
Old 08-18-11, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Gamescom: Borderlands 2 Revealed
Gearbox's shoot and loot game looks great.
August 17, 2011

The original Borderlands was something different. Though it had quite a few issues and rough patches, the originality of the concept -- a first-person shooter that incorporated a Diablo-like looting system – was enough to overcome its flaws. Now with the sequel, Gearbox has the opportunity to present a more polished and varied game, which it seems to be doing.

Environments in Pandora, at least the areas demoed, feature much more diversity this time around, from snowy canyons to grassy stretches of terrain. In other words, it's not all rocks. From high perches you can see far into the distance and take in the much more artistically interesting sights. Borderlands 2 maintains the graphical style of the original, but offers up a host of new weapon, as well as enemy designs and behaviors.

TEASER: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1188485p1.html

The weapons are obviously a big part of the game – they're the primary loot and the reason to keep shooting things. When they're approached on the ground they still pop up a giant pane of information so you can decide whether or not they're worth snatching. Each brand of weapon in Borderlands 2 will come with specific properties. Tediore weapons, for instance, are pieces of junk. They still shoot, but they're not meant to be reused. So, instead of reloading, you just toss the gun away and pull another off your belt. If you pick up a Bandit weapon, you'll notice it looks crude. Big screws and bolts stick out all over, so while it may not be the most pleasing thing to look at, Bandit weapons always have extended clips.

Though Gearbox wasn't letting anybody play, the distinctive aspects of the shooting mechanics seem to remain in place. Damage numbers still fly off enemies like firework explosions when shot and loot bursts from them when they die. Treasure chests still feature elaborate opening animations and much of the user interface, with the exception of an added minimap, remains largely the same. The combat is still all about dealing out as much damage as quickly as possible, but thanks to tweaked AI seems like it'll be more involved than just pulling the trigger.

Even the psycho bandits, who typically charge directly at you and try to hit you with sharp stuff, occasionally dodge to the side in Borderlands 2. Smarter enemies will climb over environmental obstacles, take cover, bob and weave and even help each other out. While fighting mechanized loader enemies, it's not uncommon for flying foes to swing by overhead and heal the loaders with energy beams. That means you'll need to concentrate fire on the airborne medics in order to more effectively take out the loader. In other cases the enemies will fight amongst themselves, like one boss creature that carries a shield with another enemy chained to it. If you're able to aim well enough to break the chains, the two will fight each other, and while they're distracted you can dish out damage without having to worry about getting hit.

Unique downed states for each enemy also exist. Well aimed shots can cause them to stumble and, in the loader's case, fall over temporarily. As is expected at this point, there's humor value in how everything animates and behaves. The game's still bloody, but Borderlands 2 doesn't appear to be taking itself seriously like the base version of the original did. For instance, there's one section where enemies shoot out missile pods from a moon hanging in the background. It's good to see Gearbox head in this direction, continuing on with the over-the-top absurdity from downloadable content like The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned and The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, because it fits so well with the style of the game.

Regarding character classes, Gearbox is holding off on revealing everything that's changed. The four characters from the first game will return, but only as NPCs encountered throughout the story. You can play again as a Siren, but Gearbox wasn't giving out many specifics about how she can be customized. The Gunzerker, a new character class, has a special ability where he can dual-wield for a limited time. Any two weapons can be combined, like sniper rifles and rocket launchers, and some even initiate special effects. This can be especially useful when playing co-operatively, which can be done split-screen online, when trying to take down tougher targets with multiple players using the right weapon types.

Gearbox is promising an updated questing system that isn't as restrictive about which quests can be taken on in a multiplayer game, as well as improved skill sets that are more about noticeable changes and less about minor statistical boosts. Assuming this all works well, Gearbox could very well deliver an even better game with Borderlands 2 when it ships sometime in 2012.

IGN.com
Old 08-18-11, 07:38 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved Borderlands. I was addicted to it like it was heroine.
Old 08-18-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I still have one big Colosseum left in Moxxie.
Old 08-18-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I still have one big Colosseum left in Moxxie.

You refering to that long, long, long one right? I didn't even bother with it either after reading just how long it would take.
Old 08-18-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, there are three short ones and three long(3+ hours each) ones. I have one of the long ones left.

It's keeping me from 100% completion though so every once in a while it nags at me.
Old 08-18-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moxxie's was one of the absolute worst gaming experiences of my life. Frustrating, repetitive, tedious -- it's like it was specifically designed to be all the things people hate about games.

Hopefully they listened to the overwhelmingly negative response and won't include, or release, anything like that for Borderlands 2.

Looking forward to the game!
Old 08-18-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Moxie's wouldn't have been bad if the loot was worthwhile. It was too much for too little payoff. Not to mention how quickly they disappeared.

Perhaps if they kept the unclaimed items in a "shop" you could peruse afterwards...
Old 08-18-11, 12:42 PM
wlj

i just bought Moxie for the bank. I am not big into "horde" modes.
Old 08-18-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I hope they fix the weapon system as well. When we played (only done co-op) we found we'd often keep the game weapons for a very long time. It was near impossible to buy or even find loot that was better - even when you beat a major boss or a super treasure chest.
Old 08-18-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got so many "Bank Accounts" I've lost count of exactlly what I have. Besides a normal "Bank" for each character i used the so-called split-screen dummy account for extra space. So I basically have eight "Banks". I held on a lot of the mid level stuff along with mods, shields and orbs just in case someone just jumping in needed some.

Also I get the digital online Gameinformer and the latest issue is a killer full of info on the "2". Some great stuff including video of them talking about how the first came about. The "2" looks to be more story driven, bigger, meaner and smarter enemies, more detail and more colorful, and more teamwork.

Last edited by K&AJones; 08-18-11 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I've got so many "Bank Accounts" I've lost count of exactlly what I have. Besides a normal "Bank" for each character i used the so-called split-screen dummy account for extra space. So I basically have eight "Banks". I held on a lot of the mid level stuff along with mods, shields and orbs just in case someone just jumping in needed some.

Also I get the digital online Gameinformer and the latest issue is a killer full of info on the "2". Some great stuff including video of them talking about how the first came about. The "2" looks to be more story driven, bigger, meaner and smarter enemies, more detail and more colorful, and more teamwork.
Old 08-19-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Very good. Even if this game was a veritable clone of the first, I would pick it up upon release. The fact that it isn't, well, that makes me even happier. Borderlands was one of the best full-price purchase I've made on a video game, and easily the best blind buy.

I look forward to the new characters, General Knoxx was hilarious.
Old 09-04-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xo6f6oZ0R-4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xo6f6oZ0R-4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

This looks freaking awesome. I love when he says

The Tedior guns are like the walmart of guns, cheap plastic. When you run out of ammo you just throw it away and get another out, and it explodes after you throw it at the enemy.
Old 09-04-11, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First thing I noticed was how much better the animations look.

Not sure how I feel about the throwaway guns, it's so arcadey. Everything else looks great though.
Old 09-04-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

even watching that video in 480p, I can tell it looks so much better graphically. can't wait. had a ton of fun playing this thing in co-op.
Old 09-06-11, 03:01 AM

Video down. Any mirrors?
Old 09-06-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Day one purchase for me. I poured more than 50 hours into that the first one.
Old 09-06-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Video down. Any mirrors?
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQF7GQjTjsM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQF7GQjTjsM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Old 11-03-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Gearbox to honor late fan as an NPC in Borderlands 2

This morning, we received an email from a Destructoid fan named Carlo who shared a story about his late friend Michael John Mamaril. Last month, Michael passed away due to cancer at the young age of 22. Both were huge Borderlands fans, so Carlo thought a great way to honor his buddy's memory would be to shoot Gearbox Software an email asking for a short eulogy to be read by the game's smart-mouthed robot mascot Claptrap. Not only did Gearbox comply with the request, it also promised to insert Michael into the upcoming Borderlands 2 as an NPC.

This is, without a doubt, one of the most heartfelt and generous acts of fan appreciation ever. For Gearbox to extend such an honor demonstrates how serious the company is in forging meaningful relationships with the people who play its games. This certainly isn't the first time Gearbox has gone above and beyond, and I guarantee it won't be the last.

You can listen to Claptrap's eulogy for Michael below. And thanks for sharing this touching story with us, Carlo. You have our deepest condolences.

Embed wont work for some reason. Audio can be listened to at link:

http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-t...2-215160.phtml

<object height="81" width="100%"><param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F27119347&secret_token=s-tmwpd&"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F27119347&secret_token=s-tmwpd&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed></object>Claptrap Eulogy for Michael John Mamaril by tony-12

Gearbox is such an awesome developer that really connects with fans. Very cool that they did this.
Old 11-04-11, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 11-04-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Very awesome thing to do. I unfortunately still have the first one (GOTY and everythign) on my pile of shame, but I think it will get started before the end of the year. Look forward to the second one since I might be reviewing it.
Old 11-05-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Amazon has the release date as June 30, 2012. Who knows it that is right but it sounds good to me.
Old 11-07-11, 07:20 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Amazon has the release date as June 30, 2012. Who knows it that is right but it sounds good to me.
definitely a good time, there is always a drought during summertime.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.