Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I suck at Black Ops multiplayer,and pretty much every other FPS MP

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I suck at Black Ops multiplayer,and pretty much every other FPS MP

Originally Posted by cruzness
But I do run around like that sometimes ...... and laugh.
I'm going to get BO for my Playstation and come get you my friend...
Old 07-01-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

am I the only one that laughs every time that's tea-bagged ?
Old 07-01-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Originally Posted by madcougar
I'm going to get BO for my Playstation and come get you my friend...
I am all for it. We could use some new blood in our weekly games. (check my sig)
Old 07-01-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wlj
no, I have DSL.

if you can filter matches geographically that would be great, how can i do that?
Just found it. When you get to the Player Match/Wager Match, etc menu before the matchmaking starts, there is an option (on PS3 mapped to select, probably to the back button on Xbox) labeled party privacy / search preferences. The options in search pref are locale, default, locale only. The first will try for people in your region first, then the default. The last option is self-explanatory. Hope this helps!
Old 07-02-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wlj
I love playing FPS multiplayer, but I suck at it. I finish near the bottom 75% of the time. I have like a .80 K/D ratio. Any advice? Is it just my old age (32 years old) and my reflexes just aren't there anymore?
I'm 39 and have a 1.5 K/D on MW2 and I never snipe, so it ain't age. Not sure what game style you like but if you run and gun I'd probably tone it down a bit and play strategically - don't camp (they suck), but move maps strategically. Learn them. Hardcore TDM could also help tone you down a bit.

Use a mid range gun - in MW2 5 out of my 7 loadouts consist of a UMP45. I find it has the most forgiveness in range allowing a bigger sweet spot (works well long or short range).

If you're into TDM then I'd suggest going Mercenary since it breaks up the monopoly of clans, more evenly distributing player skills.

If all else fails there's always golf ...

[edit to add]

2. Play Smart. Learning maps is nice but learning map flow is better. You should pay attention to where the enemy is spawning and where your team is spawning. If you can anticipate where players are running in from you will have the element of surprise on your side. As others have mentioned don't go running out into the middle of the map, stay on the perimeter, come around corners with your gun already raised. Don't camp - Play defensively - stake out one section of the map as yours - not one dark corner.
That's great advice. Most less experienced player run maps the same way every time after every respawn. Choke those points off and watch the kills rack up. If you choose this method I'd recommend using a silenced weapon for obvious reasons - if the entire team is spawning around you ...head's up! And keep moving.

Another thing - avoid major fire fights in TDM. As exciting as they can be and you may get a shitload of kills but you'll end up with a shitload of deaths. I'm a roamer and like to stalk people. So my team will be concentrated on one side of the map and I will cover the opposite end of the map in hopes of running up my kill streak rewards.

Last edited by visitor Q; 07-02-11 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-02-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I don't consider that "douchey" at all. It sounds pretty smart. To me a douche is a camper or those idiots who run around with an RPG trying to hit you. If they're on your team, you can damn well be prepared to lose. My son actually switches classes during a match. I swear it's like he's ADD or something. Whereas he can play many differnet styles (he can snipe like no one's business as well as run around with his balistic knife killing everyone), I run and gun. That's it.

My son has been playing video games since he was two. I couldn't keep him away from my Gamecube. He also loved gaming on my old school NES and Supernintendo. It amazes me how quickly he picks up games. His Achilles' heel as it were is that he lacks patience.
Mine turns 15 on Aug 1st. Yours must be pretty close cause my kids started playing around the same time cause I remember him having his own N64 and playing my Gamecube.
Old 07-02-11, 01:15 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 13 year old's reaction time puts mine to shame...but I can still beat him...usually because his thinking is so focused...but in another year or two he will smoke me...
Old 07-03-11, 01:08 AM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FAMAS is great but treyarch is going to nerf it by giving it a higher recoil and a slower aim speed whenever they drop the next update. I mainly like the Galil and the Commando but lately I've been having some good matches with the M16 with an ACOG scope
Darn it. Famas is my weapon of choice almost always. I play Barebones/ Pure and I loved the aim speed, sighting on it.
Old 07-05-11, 12:31 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by shumway
Just found it. When you get to the Player Match/Wager Match, etc menu before the matchmaking starts, there is an option (on PS3 mapped to select, probably to the back button on Xbox) labeled party privacy / search preferences. The options in search pref are locale, default, locale only. The first will try for people in your region first, then the default. The last option is self-explanatory. Hope this helps!
I changed mine to locale only and I do see a little bit of difference...I think. I am not going negative every match like i was before. Whether this has anything to do with changing that setting I have no idea. It could just be that I am just getting better at the game.

It will just take me a while to get decent at the game. I only have 1 hour to maybe an hour and a half per day to play. This is after the wife and baby are asleep...so I just don't get the amount of practice that lots of people get. I did enjoy the double xp this weekend, I am up to level 41 now.
Old 07-05-11, 12:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I noticed about a month ago my NAT went from open to moderate, and nothing changed on my end as far as I know... doesn't seem to effect much of anything, but not knowing why it changed, and the thought of it further "degrading" has me urked
Old 07-05-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Because of this thread I asked my kid what his KD-R was a he showed me. It was 1.45 or something. I'm guessing thats pretty good.
Old 07-06-11, 07:24 AM
wlj

Drumroll fellas....drumroll....
I have raised my KDR from .80 to .81

I feel I am getting alot better, but it takes a hell of a long time to raise that.
Old 07-11-11, 11:32 AM
wlj

I thought I was getting pretty decent playing this game. boy, was I brought down to earth last night. I got my ass handed to me every match last night. I played for probably 1.5 hours, I went positive in one match, and that is because I basically got a few kills and just hid the rest of the match I played from probably 10:30 - 12:00 am last night, so I don't know if I was just too tired or what. I went to bed with a frown on my face

Am I the only person that sucks at zombies? i love the left 4 dead series and do very well in the higher difficulties in those games, but I can't stay alive long at all in Black ops zombies. Maybe it is because I can't ever get with a team worth a damn, and I just run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. It is damn hard. I have no clue how some people advance a long ways playing solo. I haven't been past round 5 playing with a team.
Old 07-11-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Don't feel bad. I had a run of bad games last night coupled with lousy connections. I got on a roll later though.
Old 07-12-11, 07:00 AM
wlj

Don't feel bad. I had a run of bad games last night coupled with lousy connections. I got on a roll later though.

It was the complete opposite last night. I had one of the best nights I have had. I didn't finish first place any but I was finishing in the top half some and getting alot of kills. It must have been some sort of connection issues the night before.
Old 07-12-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My connection last night was a joke. I was lagging something awful. I'd basically get ready to kill someone, lag, and get killed. Started the day with an insane k/d ration (for me at least!) of 2.4, but by the end of the night it was down to 1.4 or so.
Old 07-12-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wlj
I thought I was getting pretty decent playing this game. boy, was I brought down to earth last night. I got my ass handed to me every match last night. I played for probably 1.5 hours, I went positive in one match, and that is because I basically got a few kills and just hid the rest of the match I played from probably 10:30 - 12:00 am last night, so I don't know if I was just too tired or what. I went to bed with a frown on my face

Am I the only person that sucks at zombies? i love the left 4 dead series and do very well in the higher difficulties in those games, but I can't stay alive long at all in Black ops zombies. Maybe it is because I can't ever get with a team worth a damn, and I just run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. It is damn hard. I have no clue how some people advance a long ways playing solo. I haven't been past round 5 playing with a team.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/articles...#disqus_thread

It has links that cover the other Zombie maps. And hints. Just takes a little getting used to it.
Old 07-12-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
Yeah, CoD Zombies is VERY much a team mode. Live together, die together. In L4D you could almost be a lone wolf and manage even though you are playing a team mode. It's far harder to do that here and survive. If you have a lone wolf on your team, it's going to make for a very short game. Everyone should man the same room/area.

You also have to work together for points. Say one person has one of the good weapons (RPK, Ray Gun, etc.) they should fall back and let the rest of the team do the heavy lifting so they can rack up the points for box pulls for good weapons. Instinct tells you that guy with the kick ass weapon should take lead point, but we find it better in the long run to play conservative so everyone gets a decent weapon and colas as a team.

Juggernog cola is a must to make it further than 7-8 levels. Speed and Quick Revive are next in line.

Also for making higher levels, you just have to plan and find good choke points to defend. Find a room/area that only has <4 windows/entries so each of you can successfully defend your own area.

We've found that you also need a "window man" without an itchy trigger finger to keep a lone zombie alive behind a window. This gives everyone time to restock on ammo, colas, board up other windows, open other areas of the map, etc. It can be boring, but it's an essential method for survival. Crawlers are good, but a window zombie is easier to manage and keep track of. Treyarch is making this harder to do with each map, but it's still very doable with the right guys.

In the early rounds for maximum points:
Round 1: 5 body shots & knife for the finisher
Round 2: 6 body shots & knife for the finisher
Round 3: 7 body shots & knife for the finisher
etc.

Lastly there is the secret item trick that helps a lot. Have a player lay down in a corner. Have a second player run and dive on top of said player killing you both. Have a third player revive you both. If you pull it off you will hear a special effect(child laughing?) and zombies will drop power-ups more frequently.
Old 07-12-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I keep saying this but we really need a zombie to get a zombie night going.
Old 07-13-11, 02:31 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, CoD Zombies is VERY much a team mode. Live together, die together. In L4D you could almost be a lone wolf and manage even though you are playing a team mode. It's far harder to do that here and survive. If you have a lone wolf on your team, it's going to make for a very short game. Everyone should man the same room/area.

You also have to work together for points. Say one person has one of the good weapons (RPK, Ray Gun, etc.) they should fall back and let the rest of the team do the heavy lifting so they can rack up the points for box pulls for good weapons. Instinct tells you that guy with the kick ass weapon should take lead point, but we find it better in the long run to play conservative so everyone gets a decent weapon and colas as a team.

Juggernog cola is a must to make it further than 7-8 levels. Speed and Quick Revive are next in line.

Also for making higher levels, you just have to plan and find good choke points to defend. Find a room/area that only has <4 windows/entries so each of you can successfully defend your own area.

We've found that you also need a "window man" without an itchy trigger finger to keep a lone zombie alive behind a window. This gives everyone time to restock on ammo, colas, board up other windows, open other areas of the map, etc. It can be boring, but it's an essential method for survival. Crawlers are good, but a window zombie is easier to manage and keep track of. Treyarch is making this harder to do with each map, but it's still very doable with the right guys.

In the early rounds for maximum points:
Round 1: 5 body shots & knife for the finisher
Round 2: 6 body shots & knife for the finisher
Round 3: 7 body shots & knife for the finisher
etc.

Lastly there is the secret item trick that helps a lot. Have a player lay down in a corner. Have a second player run and dive on top of said player killing you both. Have a third player revive you both. If you pull it off you will hear a special effect(child laughing?) and zombies will drop power-ups more frequently.

thanks for those tips. maybe i can play zombies with some of you fellas sometime. my gamertag is Sh4mwowT4mpon