Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help motivate me to buy a Playstation 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help motivate me to buy a Playstation 3

Originally Posted by Decker
Fine. Sony's not for you. Don't get one.
I don't like Sony games, but there were tons of exclusives for the PS2 that motivated me to get that system.
Old 06-28-11, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
I don't like Sony games, but there were tons of exclusives for the PS2 that motivated me to get that system.
That makes sense, actually. Most developers of those games have either gone heavily multiplatform, or have focused on portables (Square Enix).

One exclusive that I will mention is MLB: The Show. If you wanted a baseball game, it's easily the best.
Old 06-28-11, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I tried that out at a friend's place, and to be honest, Shenmu- I mean, Heavy Rain wasn't that impressive.
tbh, Heavy Rain isn't a game you can pick up and get into unless you're pretty much playing it beginning to end (or at the very least, skipping the first hour or so). It's interesting once you get into it, but it isn't particularly impressive in individual segments.

I actually can't defend the PS3, I've had mine for about 4 years now and really haven't used it a whole lot. The exclusives are nothing to write home about outside of Uncharted -- but even that was lacking gameplay wise (amazing sense of adventure in it, but totally linear with bland shooting segments).

If you don't already have a blu-ray player and plan to use Netflix and Hulu+, you can definitely do a lot worse. That said, you can also get a dedicated player for substantially less.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-28-11 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-28-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
That makes sense, actually. Most developers of those games have either gone heavily multiplatform, or have focused on portables (Square Enix).

One exclusive that I will mention is MLB: The Show. If you wanted a baseball game, it's easily the best.
It wasn't the huge exclusives that drew me to the PS2, like the Metal Gear series, it was smaller titles like Robot Alchemic Drive - which is probably the most awesome mech game i've ever played. The nearest thing I can come to is maybe Little Big Planet, which is another game i'm interested in. But most of the good games are multiplatform like you said, and I've already played them on PC. Even then I was underwhelmed most of the time. Crysis 1 & 2 were just eye candy but totally ordinary, boring shooter games; The same goes for the Call of Duty games; one of the few games in recent memory i've enjoyed was Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Last edited by Superboy; 06-28-11 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-28-11, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

PS3 is the best system for several reasons:

Blu-ray player

Playstation Plus - lots of freebies that pays for itself over and over

Free online

PS1 classics

Great Exclusives - Infamous 2, LBP2, GT5, Killzone 3, PS3 is producing exclusives where Xbox only has Halo 4.
Old 06-28-11, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
PS3 is the best system for several reasons:

Blu-ray player

Playstation Plus - lots of freebies that pays for itself over and over

Free online

PS1 classics

Great Exclusives - Infamous 2, LBP2, GT5, Killzone 3, PS3 is producing exclusives where Xbox only has Halo 4.
I don't want to turn this thread into a console war/bashing session, because I don't have anything against the PS3 - it's not that I want to bash the system, i'm trying to convince myself to get one . So far, it hasn't worked. I usually get a system when there are at least 12 games that I want to play for the system.
Old 06-28-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to turn this thread into a console war/bashing session, because I don't have anything against the PS3 - it's not that I want to bash the system, i'm trying to convince myself to get one . So far, it hasn't worked. I usually get a system when there are at least 12 games that I want to play for the system.
What are your favorite genres? What games do you like the most? If that Kmart deal doesn't do anything for you, I don't think you can be convinced right now. If I had $300 to drop, I'd get the PS3 along w/ GOW 3 and Uncharted 2 GOTY, trade in Blops and use the $50 GC for a $50 PSN card or 2 or 3 PS3 games that are currently on clearance at Kmart for $15-$20. You could turn that $40 credit at gamestop into a couple of games as well. So for about $300 + tax out of pocket and a little leg work, you would have a PS3 slim and about 6-7 games.

If you like Katamari, there is an exclusive PS3 game as well.
Old 06-28-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Don't buy one. It sounds like you've already made up your mind.
Old 06-28-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness
Don't buy one. It sounds like you've already made up your mind.
Seriously. Scott asks some (okay a lot of) well-intended newb questions about the 360 and everyone jumps down his throat. This guy here clearly doesn't like PS3 games and has said as much repeatedly and yet folks in this thread keep bending over backwards to accommodate and help him. I don't get it.
Old 06-28-11, 10:04 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I favor my Xbox over my ps3 because

A:I like Gears more than Uncharted/Killzone combined...

B:All my friends have one

C:cross game chat..

I still recommend a PS3 if you have the money to spare...what else is money good for if not buying something you like...

Uncharted 1 is a good game, but I did not find it to be great. Its shooting was a bit off...Still worth playing... Uncharted 2 is fantastic, and I really look forward to Uncharted 3, but don't go into 2 with your expectations super high. I loved Uncharted 2 but at times it felt like I was watching someone play the greatest game ever made rather than playing...but it does have many jaw dropping moments...

Overall though, games like Little Big Planet, Uncharted 2 and Infamous are worth getting the system for...
Old 06-28-11, 10:09 AM
gamer for life

Seriously. Scott asks some (okay a lot of) well-intended newb questions about the 360 and everyone jumps down his throat. This guy here clearly doesn't like PS3 games and has said as much repeatedly and yet folks in this thread keep bending over backwards to accommodate and help him. I don't get it.
good point...

I will be the first to admit my ps3 stays turned off for months at a time...I also am lucky enough to not mind wasting 300 bucks on a system I don't use much...but you are right...if reviews of games like Uncharted 2 don't make you want a system...nothing we say will..
Old 06-28-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Here's what I particularly love about the PS3:
-- Best Netflix UI on a set-top box that I've encountered
-- Rock-solid and hassle-free Blu-ray player
-- Versatile local streaming (DLNA), especially when paired with PS3 Media Server
-- Significant processing power that has allowed for capability upgrades such as 3D, Playstation Move, improved DVD upconversion, etc

The ability to play games is mostly just a nice bonus for me, but even ignoring retail titles, you ought to be able to find 12 PSN-exclusive titles that would make the system worthwhile. Wipeout HD (+ Fury), Super Stardust HD, Joe Danger, Flower, Crash Commando, and the PixelJunk series are a good start.
Old 06-28-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it really that good? I don't trust game reviews unless they're for Nintendo games, because they're brutal when a game is mediocre.
yes, the guy who gave us 20 some years of a jumping plumber is a genius compared to the people that brought you the Unreal engine or other modern games.

i really don't understand why adults like nintendo. they have been milking the same IP's and gameplay for decades and Miyamoto is considered some kind of genius for it while the rest of the industry has actually been innovative
Old 06-28-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

back to the PS3

i think it's $199 for one now, compare the price to a stand alone 3d blue ray player with internet access and just buy the PS3. it will be supported and updated for years while the regular blue ray players will be forgotten after next year's CES
Old 06-28-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Everyone is being really polite even though it is obvious to me that he really doesn't like the games for PS3. In all honesty the difference between the 2 systems boils down to exclusive games and how many of your freinds game on the 2 systems. I go through this whole should I buy one with the 360/Wii every few months and I just don't care for the other console exclusives that much even though I have plenty of friends/coworkers who have a 360/Wii. I don't want to invest in achievments. since I am already invested in the PS3 trophys
Old 06-28-11, 10:31 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by al_bundy

i really don't understand why adults like nintendo. they have been milking the same IP's and gameplay for decades and Miyamoto is considered some kind of genius for it while the rest of the industry has actually been innovative
I like Super Mario Galaxy not because reviews said it was great...or because other people said it was great...I like it because when I am playing it I am having fun....every game I play uses elements of games before them. Super Mario Galaxy is a bigger advancement in gaming than any of the latest shooters...Is it that hard to believe adults could like a mario game and Gears at the same time?
Old 06-28-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you not play or watch anyone play Super Mario Galaxy? I'll grant you IPs (though pretty much all the game companies do this), but they have done quite a lot with game play through the main Mario games. Unless, you are arguing that they have all basically been running and jumping in which case, we are never going to agree.
Old 06-28-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why should we motivate you to buy a ps3? If anything we should taunt you for not being able to make up your own damn mind :P
Old 06-28-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

back to the PS3

i think it's $199 for one now
The PS3 is still $299, though there have been some limited-time promotions lately that dropped it to $199 or netted you $199 after a gift card.
Old 06-28-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is an absurd assertion. For better or worse, the Wii was a significant departure from the same stale gameplay that the other current-gen consoles launched with. Adults like Nintendo for a very simple reason: fun games.
Old 06-28-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Here one exclusive PS3 game I enjoyed playing. Can't wait for the sequeal Dark Souls.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FRnIyXvonAU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-28-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i admit it that when i had a wii i didn't use it except for the balance board which was pretty cool and netflix. but other people i knew who had it when i saw the games it seemed the same as all the other nintendo games from years past.

with the PS3 and x-box we got
-real online gaming
-music games like rock band. i know the wii has it as well but some of the gear won't work on the wii and importing songs won't work either
-decent indie/DLC/old console games in each console store. i took a look at the wii store when i first bought the wii and laughed at the crap 80's graphics
-kinect and Move which were inspired by the wii but took the idea to the next level

and i never liked shooters until playing them on the x-box 360. and i played GL Doom or Quake or whatever when it first came out in the 1990's. with the improvements that Mass Effect and gears of war have made they are good games. even liked black ops
Old 06-28-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I originally got a PS3 for the PS3 exclusives, Blu Ray and backwards compatibility.

Besides the 2 Uncharted (Uncharted 2 was one of the best games ever), I've loved the God of War Games, Super Stardust, the pixel junk games, Wipeout, inFamous . I've also liked Little Big Planet, GT5, Mod nation racers and Warhawk to a lesser extent.

MGS 4 (well the whole series in fact) is on my pile of shame. So is Resistance 2 (I stopped a few hours in) and Killzone 2.

Definitely looking forward to the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus re-release and Uncharted 3.

Last edited by boogieman03; 06-28-11 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-28-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PS3 owners are generally more polite than Xbox fanboys.

*quickly runs out of thread before it explodes
Old 06-28-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
PS3 owners are generally more polite than Xbox fanboys.

*quickly runs out of thread before it explodes
I don't even own the PS3, but it is pretty easy to see its worth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.