Saints Row: The Third

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Saints Row: The Third

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
That review sucked.
Just wanted to point out how, now, it seems that GT's review was pretty spot-on.
Old 11-18-11, 05:59 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Just wanted to point out how, now, it seems that GT's review was pretty spot-on.
not even close for me...this is a solid 9 game for me so far....
Old 11-19-11, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 415 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, I agree with it now.

Not a bad game, but definitely a huge let down from what I expected. I am trading it in as soon as I finish it.
Old 11-19-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finished it tonight. I did expect so much more, but I did have more fun with it than any recent GTA game (IE anything after Vice City)
Old 11-20-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 134 Posts

Ok , so I was right....Missions had to be played from the phone only..so my laziness gripe for the developers still holds.

I beat the game last night. It was very entertaining but this franchise, money or no money...needs to now evolve. What good is all the customization if there is NOTHING to do with it? and by that I mean that once you beat the game....there really is nothing left to do in the city (i.e. barely any (if any at all) buildings to explore, literally nothing else to do with your character meaning they got rid of smoking blunts, drinking, etc...

If you're in love with the activities then this game is for you but even then....they got rid of some of the best ones like fight club.

The game is also setup to try and scam more cash from people through marketplace by charging for pulled missions.

I did buy the shark gun though and must admit it's pretty hilarious seeing JAWS pop up from the street to eat people.

I also can't believe
Spoiler:
Johnny Gat is dead
but who knows with this series.

Also, things are a little too over the top now...they need to dial shit down a few notches.

It still edges out SR2 for me though but I honestly have no idea if I will be hanging on to my copy. The game whether some agree or not....really would have benefited from some tv shows - it would have fit perfectly.

I'm pretty strict of sandbox games because they're the only games I love to play and I'm lucky to get 1 every couple of years
Old 11-20-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to that spoiler...
Spoiler:
I also can't believe he's dead. Especially since they did not even have an actual funeral. I think the last game had a funeral mission where a bunch of bad guys showed up and you had to shoot them all down and then chase down the rest. I thought the storyline took a major stepback in this one.

Did anyone do both final missions? Which one did you like more?
Old 11-21-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wanted to ask about the final missions as well I did the
Spoiler:
Shaundi rescue and laughed my ass off at the Mars ending - that was done really well
and I guess that's the "good ending"??

Just bought the chainsaw last night as well - pretty sick.

Also....Anyone try calling Mayor Reynolds (the "kick it with Mayor Reynolds" option in your phone - not the option to clear your notoriety ) what does it do? I don't think you can use this option after you beat the game - it just rings busy all the time.
Old 11-21-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rival11
I wanted to ask about the final missions as well I did the
Spoiler:
Shaundi rescue and laughed my ass off at the Mars ending - that was done really well
and I guess that's the "good ending"??

Just bought the chainsaw last night as well - pretty sick.

Also....Anyone try calling Mayor Reynolds (the "kick it with Mayor Reynolds" option in your phone - not the option to clear your notoriety ) what does it do? I don't think you can use this option after you beat the game - it just rings busy all the time.
I actually liked the other ending more. It felt like it was more in line with the spirit of the first 2 games. Though the other one was fun as hell.
Old 11-21-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently sales of SR3 are up 40% over SR2's launch, so we might get another!
Old 11-21-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really want to trade this game in cause there really is nothing to do after you beat it......but then again, it's just too much fun to run around as a toilet (you get the costume at the end of the game) weilding a chainsaw - this game is seriously f'd up.

That and the DLC coming out down the road look pretty promising.
Old 11-21-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I have played and finished taking over almost the entire city. However, the two mayhems, medium and difficult, that are supposed to be in the lower left island are not showing up. I have finished everything as far as city takeover except for those two. I even went back and played and beat the other mayhems to see if they would then show up. Is there anything that I'm missing? Also, I am at the zombie island mission the story.
Old 11-21-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have you beaten the game yet? I think certain things don't show up until you're done mission-wise.
Old 11-21-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Have you beaten the game yet? I think certain things don't show up until you're done mission-wise.
I was wondering this but the strategy guide makes no mention of having to beat the game to get those medium and difficult activities to show up. I have about 6 missions to go so we shall see.
Old 11-21-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone else just posted on another site that these Mayhem activities might be glitched as he has finished the entire game and they have yet to show up. Damn glitches!
Old 11-21-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 415 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Apparently sales of SR3 are up 40% over SR2's launch, so we might get another!
That's because everyone bought it.
Old 11-21-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not very far in, but I'm having fun with the game so far. I drove around a little longer than I needed to just to let the guys finishing singing Sublime. Nice touch.

I also like Kanye's "Power" at the start of the 2nd or 3rd mission. It had me pretty pumped. Great song to use.
Old 11-21-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Someone else just posted on another site that these Mayhem activities might be glitched as he has finished the entire game and they have yet to show up. Damn glitches!
I figured out I have the same problem. I have 2 strongholds glitched in the Luchadores district.
Old 11-21-11, 06:40 PM

So, some quick thoughts on the game. First, I am coming from a GTA4 perspective on this. I've never played and of the Saints Row games, so that's all I have to go on in terms of comparisons. I understand that this is a different game and should be judged on it's own merits, but who are we kidding? This is a public forum on the internet after all! I'm going to give a list with some description of things I dislike, things I like, and other random thoughts.

I dislike the car control. This is probably because I'm comparing it to GTA4. It just seems over-sensitive and sometimes choppy... if that makes sense. All I know is I'm pretty good at weaving through traffic in the faster cars in GTA4 but not in SR3.

I dislike the aiming. This is definitely an artifact of GTA4. I liked the auto-targeting. This is minor and I'm getting over it quickly.

I think the graphics are sub-par to what they could be.

I love the infinite garage at every "Crib" as well as the ability to have vehicles delivered to you anywhere. This has always been a problem for me in GTA so I'm glad this one gives you access to all.

I like all the upgrading on the weapons and the customization of the vehicles (also great because of the infinite garage!)

I wish that they had stated in the E3 videos of the game play that the Genki Mobile was pre-order DLC. I was really looking forward to that human canon, and had I known I would have pre-ordered!

I also wish that they had NOT said that everything would be unlocked from the start. I drove around looking for that VTOL jet for a while until I figured out that stuff needs to be unlocked.

In the end I think that the campy, humorous nature of the game, and all of the crazy, fun things in it put it on a level above GTA4 for entertainment value, but as far as graphics and gameplay are concerned, I still think GTA4 has it beat. This has not replaced the GTA series for me, and I absolutely will be buying GTA5 when it comes out as well. In the meantime SR3 is a fun distraction and I'm sure I will spend hours blowing shit up with a hoverbike, VTOL jet, tanks, and so on.
Old 11-22-11, 07:14 AM

So last night I discovered what "clicking the right thumb stick" does to people, especially if you are running towards them.

Holy hell! Funniest thing I've seen all year. I was laughing so hard I was getting lightheaded.
Old 11-22-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boogieman03
So last night I discovered what "clicking the right thumb stick" does to people, especially if you are running towards them.

Holy hell! Funniest thing I've seen all year. I was laughing so hard I was getting lightheaded.
Wait, I haven't done that yet - just been using the LB and RB buttons - what does clicking it do?
Old 11-22-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rival11
Wait, I haven't done that yet - just been using the LB and RB buttons - what does clicking it do?
Spoiler:
If their back is turned you kick them in the junk from behind, flip them around and then punch them in the junk. If they are facing you, you do a 2 finger eye gouge 3 stooges style and then punch them in the junk
Old 11-22-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Spoiler:
If their back is turned you kick them in the junk from behind, flip them around and then punch them in the junk. If they are facing you, you do a 2 finger eye gouge 3 stooges style and then punch them in the junk
Ha - funny. Will have to try that. definitely make sure you get your picture taken by the photo ops scattered throughout the city as well (the people with the blue camera icon floating above their head) for some reason, I'm addicted to finding them - give them the old Elvis shake after the photo as well.
Old 11-22-11, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Spoiler:
Wow. Mine were a little different from yours. Maybe that's cause I haven't leveled up a lot yet. Maybe it's because I started with a different stock character. I don't know.
Spoiler:
There was a variety of things they would do.
I would leapfrog over somebody, then turn around and knock them out.
I would suplex somebody.
I would run and grab somebody's head and slam them down to the ground. Then I would lay on my side with my head rested on my hand, lounging, and pose.
I would roundhouse kick somebody in the crotch.

I think there may have been a few more that I'm not remembering, but I wasted a good 30 minutes running up to anybody I could find.
Old 11-22-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This game has been really fun to play as I have sunk about 40 hours into it and most of that is with a buddy. Just 2 more trophies to go to the platinum.
Old 11-22-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So was the Ford Bronco-esque car in the Saint's Row games always referred to as the Nordberg? Because that's hilarious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.