Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Battlefield 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Battlefield 3

The "Tank Battle" demo is something to see. I'd like to know the specs on the pc they used for that. PC gaming might end up making a good comeback on just this game alone. Looking good EA.....
Old 06-07-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, all of this footage really looks impressive. My only concern is that the game might attempt to get too COD-like in the multiplayer. Maybe I'm wrong, but based on the limited MP footage we've seen, everything seems to be moving a lot faster than in BC:2. Whatever though, I'm sure it will be awesome - how can battling through a virtual, destructible Paris not be fun?

I'm definitely going to pre-order this to get the Karkand maps as well. Here's some more information based on hands-on playtime from IGN - spoilered for length:

Spoiler:
Battlefield 3 is developer DICE's eighth game in the franchise. With over a decade of experience in the multiplayer shooter space, Battlefield 3 represents its attempt to make their biggest, most inclusive shooter yet. Accessibility is a huge mandate for the studio (with the team focusing on making a game that appeals to both team players, lone wolves, console owners and the hardcore PC audience), but above all else, fun is king. From listening to the community, to examining the failings of their previous games, to making a title that takes full advantage of their new engine, Battlefield 3's multiplayer is a work in progress. Unpolished as it is, though, it's already a hell of a lot of fun.

The new, cheesy-sounding philosophy DICE is taking with Battlefield 3 is "Play it Your Way." While hollow PR babble on the surface, in practice it reflects their desire to make Battlefield as universally appealing to shooter fans as possible. To this end the levels will be varied, from giant stages full of jets and armored vehicles, to the more funneled stages like the Paris one I got to play. While there were armored personnel carriers in the level, it was largely a corridor stage, focusing first and foremost on player's gun skills as opposed to a cooperative effort of vehicles and soldiers. It may have started in an open park (which itself still felt relatively small since players were fenced in by walls and rivers), but within moments the level was small, 50 ft wide corridors and cramped hallways. The hope appears to be to create an experience that'll give the hardcore, long-time fans what they desire in a battlefield experience, but also to have stages that appeal to the more arena-style fans that play games like Call of Duty. Don't go abandoning hope and lamenting the end of the franchise, though, as I'm assured many of the levels we've yet to see will bring back the epic-sized conflicts the franchise is known for.

More Battlefield 3 Videos

Classes have also been redesigned in Battlefield 3, giving players new ways to customize their load outs to suit their play style. Riflemen now double as medics, healing players and reviving those who are downed. The Support class is now equipped with a light machinegun and ammo packs, the sniper is a long-range and demolitions expert, and the Engineer is the master of destroying and repairing vehicles. With weapon attachments players can adapt the classes to how they want to play, with Riflemen choosing things like underslung grenade launchers in place of advanced medical equipment, for instance.

The Support class was super important in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 because it could heal, but they're given a new role in Battlefield 3:suppression. Shooting in an enemy's general direction is important in real combat, giving your own team a chance to move and gain position while the enemies are frightened into running for cover. Battlefield 3 takes this into account, and anyone firing a hail of lead near foes – something the Support class is especially good at, much more so with a fancy bi-pod attachment – will suppress the enemy. This not only garners points for the shooter, but dims and shakes the screen of those affected. Shooting to kill is an important role, but shooting to provide actual supporting fire is now emphasized as well.

Vehicles have also been tweaked in Battlefield 3, in hopes of making them more fun for both the operator and passengers. Vehicles regenerate small amounts of health when damaged, but in order to heal to full will need the assistance of an Engineer. Vehicles can also be immobilized right before destruction, forcing an Engineer to intervene to save it, and giving the passengers a chance to bail out. The hope is that this will alleviate a lot of the rage that comes from a team jumping into a humvee, only to be destroyed by one well placed rocket. Yes, the rocket might kill the person it blows up right next to, but the whole squad won't be punished for one crazy driver, or feel like vehicles are death traps.

Two tweaks that stood out during the time I played, and really show DICE's commitment to making the experience better and better, were the inclusion of prone and the ability to opt out of revive. Prone could be dangerous to the balance, as it makes players incredibly hard to discern at a distance, but to balance this DICE is finding new ways to make the cost match the benefits. You might be harder to see, but your lens will flash if a player looks at it, and getting up and laying down takes time that will cost you if someone is close. Revive was also something that players liked in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, but it was annoying when someone would revive you for points, only to do so when you were going to stand up right in an enemy's fire. Now you can opt out of a revive, looking to see how safe it is before you make a decision about whether a respawn at a different location would be more effective. It's a small change, and one of those head-slap inducing choices that seem obvious, but a testament to the time, experience and passion DICE has for making Battlefield 3 as fun and balanced as possible.

My playtime was entirely too short, but Battlefield 3 is following a proven formula that's been created by, refined and tweaked by one of the best first-person shooter developers in the world. If the single-player manages to live up to expectations, and the multiplayer keeps getting even better, it might not be long before there's a new king of modern warfare.

I can't freakin wait until October.
Old 06-08-11, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This video has footage from both console and PC according to one of the devs.

Watch the video in 1080p and see if you can spot the console footage.
<style type='text/css'>.bbpBox{background:url(http://a1.twimg.com/images/themes/theme14/bg.gif) #131516;padding:20px;}</style>

@td_rules we did show a bit of console footage, in the Frostbite trailer. haven't really been much whiningTue Jun 07 15:48:09 via TweetDeck

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8pNOxynC1Dc?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-08-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I cannot watch it here at work. I'll have to wait till I get home but i would like them to put more trailers and footage out for both the 360 and PS3. I have no doubt the game will do well across all three platforms but it would be nice to see how it looks and does on the consols.

On a side note I'm wondering if a 1-2 year old video card with 1gig will handle this? For the price of a newer GT460 card I can almost buy a PS3...yikes!

well I just caught the above video at the house.....oh my, my. One thing for sure...Sony and MS better hurry and get off their butts on the future 720 and PS4 or PC Gaming will make a big comeback. EA and Frostbite won't hold back forever.

Last edited by K&AJones; 06-08-11 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Wow! I'm gonna need a new video card.
Old 06-08-11, 03:33 PM

In-depth Q & A about the game with some of the devs, the live stream starts @ 4:30 pacific.

Right here------> http://live-event.ea.com/e3/chat/battlefield
Old 06-09-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for that vid. Good stuff. Nice of those guys to explicitly say what those super fast cuts in the trailer actually are.

Very cool that the scene with the oil fields is an in-game shot from an airplane on a multiplayer map. Shit looks massive!!! Guess the tank scene is a multiplayer map and sounds like that city environment may be an MP map as well. I just hope there are plenty of maps for infantry and vehicles both.

Those guys are crazy if they think the medic is the least selected class though. At least on hardcore, where you can heal yourself, medics were very common.
Old 06-17-11, 01:39 AM

The footage they showed on Late Night was extremely short, it did look pretty good...what little there was.

The lighting wasn't as impressive but not as big of a step down as I was expecting.
Old 06-17-11, 01:26 PM

Here's the demo of the PS3 version on Late Night.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JLCFQyqEoHA?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-21-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Some of this we've seen before, but I believe parts are new.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kB9jU5wVekQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-21-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't wait to play that on my HTPC.
Old 07-22-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Couple of different new videos
Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d91BIBgU-ao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interview

Last edited by cruzness; 07-22-11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-29-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone else get an Invite to Test Battlefiel​d 3 in their e-mail? I'm downloading the Alpha Trial right now.
Old 08-01-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a NDA you know.
Old 08-01-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3
There's a NDA you know.
Which is why I haven't revealed anything about the game. At the time I made my post, I was surprised to get the actual e-mail. I was presented with the NDA after the Alpha Trial was installed on my comp.
Old 08-01-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I got the Alpha invite but my computer doesn't have the horsepower to run it.
Old 08-01-11, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How likely is Amazon to go with a $20 promo preorder credit for this game? They do it for sports games all the time, is this game as popular to get the credit?
Old 08-01-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cruzness
I got the Alpha invite but my computer doesn't have the horsepower to run it.
What specs do you have?

I think my setup is rather whimpy for most modern games. I'm running it just fine with an ATI 5670, an Intel i5, and a mere 4 gigs of RAM.
Old 08-02-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
What specs do you have?

I think my setup is rather whimpy for most modern games. I'm running it just fine with an ATI 5670, an Intel i5, and a mere 4 gigs of RAM.
That's not that bad.

I have a Q600, ATI 5770 and 4 GB of DDR2. And it worked. He may have something older.
Old 08-06-11, 07:20 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Don't know if this matters to anyone, but the devs announced that Battlefield 3 won't be available on Steam.

EA offers games, including Battlefield 3, to all major digital download sites. In doing so, our goal is to not only reach the widest possible global audience with our games, but also to provide ongoing customer support, patches and great new content. We are intent on providing Battlefield 3 players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play the game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with consumers.

For more on our policy to offer games to any major third party download service, please read here: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7372195.page

Gamers can pre-order Battlefield 3 at Origin.com as well as over 100 digital retailers worldwide. EA offers games to all major download services. Unfortunately, Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. No other download service has adopted these practices.

We are intent on providing Battlefield 3 players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers. We hope to work out an agreement where Steam can carry Battlefield 3; meanwhile, gamers can pick from the more than 100 digital retailers listed at http://www.battlefield.com/digitaldownload, or go to http://www.origin.com.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7468888.page
Old 08-06-11, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good thing I don't use Steam.
Old 08-16-11, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NDDfPxF3EFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jebus.
Old 08-16-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Jebus.
I just came to post the same thing. I had to pick my jaw up off the ground. Man, not so much the graphics, but why can't the consoles support 64 players? That would be amazing.
Old 08-16-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I assume processing power and the low amount of memory. I'm glad I'll be playing this on PC, it looks insane.
Old 08-16-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CR4xMNLVquk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CR4xMNLVquk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.