Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,246 Likes on 4,267 Posts
re: Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Surprisingly cheap price on a "game" I was slightly interested in:

PlayStation Vita Pets Out Today

+ Posted by Neil McPhillips on Jun 03, 2014 // Associate Producer, XDev

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/8oG1dpfOUEA?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/8oG1dpfOUEA?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hey everyone, we’re excited to finally unleash PlayStation Vita Pets in stores and on PlayStation Store today. Check out our fetching launch trailer and the top five reasons why you should get your paws on the game. It’s sure to scratch an itch.
1 – The dogs!

Your new best pals are totally unique and unlike any other furry creature you’ve seen in other games. Each pup has a real personality (including likes and dislikes) that they express through their actions and their voice. We’ve gone to painstaking efforts to ensure that every line in the game is fully voiced… all 10,000+ of them!

They’ll also remember your face and voice — once you pick your dog it’ll take a good look at you and will want to make sure it’s you who’s come back to play each time you return. There’s lots of time to bond with your pup!
2 – Adventures

Once you pick your dog, your adventure begins on an island filled with caves, mazes, castles and treasure. Your task is to uncover secret clues to solve the mystery of an ancient legend of a king and his dog. You’ll have a blast sniffing out clues and romping around this fun filled game.

3 – Pet Play

The dogs are hungry for adventure but they’re also just hungry. You’ll have just as much fun looking after your dog, feeding it, petting it, bathing it, and playing games. Return each day to meet their daily needs, earn buddy points, and go for a walk in the forest to dig up some treasure to buy new toys and games. Our dogs also have the added bonus of being able to tell you when they need to relieve themselves so there shouldn’t be any accidents to clean up!
4 – Real world play

We are using the latest markerless AR technology in the game to allow you to take your dog into the real world. Just point your PS Vita and the dog will leap through its doggy door right into your home. Want to play ball in the back yard, run some obstacle courses, or dig up treasure from your own floorboards? Well, you can now!
5 – Dress up

We’ve created hundreds of items of clothing for you to dress up your dog, including full outfits, hats, jackets, collars, props, and more. Want to turn your Labrador into a mighty steed with a knight on his back? Want to turn your bold Collie into a flying ace? Well, you can here! You’ll be able to unlock new outfits as you progress in the game, and if you don’t want them you can always gift them to your PSN friends because what’s nicer than receiving a banana suit for your dog in the mail?

Don’t forget about the smart device companion app, PS Vita Pets: Puppy Parlor, where you can earn even more exclusive costumes for your dog.

We’ve hardly scratched the surface with those five points. There’s so much more in the game that we’ll delve deeper into in the coming weeks; things like all the side quests, collectables, gameplay variety, and even cooler Vita features.
Fun Activity alert:

To celebrate the release of PlayStation Vita Pets, we want our good PlayStation friends to create and photograph their own furry adventures with their beloved pets.

Let your imaginations run wild to create a fabulous fantasy DIY adventure; maybe you can dress your dog as a Martian mutt or a fang-tastic vampire — or perhaps they’re ready to sniff out some clues as the world’s greatest detective.

Make sure you and your family get involved and pose alongside your pets too! Please make sure you upload your photographs to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook with the hashtag #psvitapets.

PlayStation Vita Pets is available today for only $19.99.

Happy playing!

In the UK, it's on a cart, in the US, it's only on PSN.

edit : After watching that trailer it's far more kiddie than I was expecting And far more so than Nintendogs ever was. I'm never letting my son play my Vita with his grubby hands - that's what the old 3DS is for. Pass.
Old 07-24-14, 01:19 AM

Okay, if anyone missed it in the PSN thread, there are some good deals in the PSN store on vita superhero games. Infamous Ultimate Edition and Batman Arkham Origins : Blackgate are both $4.20 and Lego Marvel is $6.30.
I bought Batman Blackgate and I'm pretty impressed. It's not perfect, but it's still pretty fun and the combat is pretty smooth, though of course making it 2.5D makes countering a lot easier (though I suppose it makes avoiding gunfire harder). It still feels pretty much like playing an Arkham game on a handheld and looks great on the Vita screen, IMO (touching the Vita screen toggles Detective Mode, which I thought was cool). Probably not worth the original MSRP of $39.99, but a no-brainier at under $5.
I've heard not-great things about the Vita version of Lego Marvel, but would be interested in anyone's personal opinion of the port. Personally I love the PS4 version, which is only like $10 during the sale.
Old 07-24-14, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The vita reviews for Lego Marvel were horrible. I picked up ps4 version instead, and can do remote play if I want to play on Vita.
Old 07-24-14, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker
Okay, if anyone missed it in the PSN thread, there are some good deals in the PSN store on vita superhero games. Infamous Ultimate Edition and Batman Arkham Origins : Blackgate are both $4.20 and Lego Marvel is $6.30.
I bought Batman Blackgate and I'm pretty impressed. It's not perfect, but it's still pretty fun and the combat is pretty smooth, though of course making it 2.5D makes countering a lot easier (though I suppose it makes avoiding gunfire harder). It still feels pretty much like playing an Arkham game on a handheld and looks great on the Vita screen, IMO (touching the Vita screen toggles Detective Mode, which I thought was cool). Probably not worth the original MSRP of $39.99, but a no-brainier at under $5.
I've heard not-great things about the Vita version of Lego Marvel, but would be interested in anyone's personal opinion of the port. Personally I love the PS4 version, which is only like $10 during the sale.
It is like all of the vita lego games (save Chima). It is the same as the 3DS version. It lacks the open world options that the console versions have and reviewers bash it based on that. I think it is a fine game and easily worth $6.
Old 07-29-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've only had my Vita for a couple weeks now, but I'm really enjoying it. It came with LEGO Batman 2, so I've been playing that for a little bit, along with a bunch of the free PS+ games. I bought my first game today, Tearaway for $15 at Gamestop, so I hope it's good. I also set up the remote play with my PS3 & PS4, though I doubt I will use it that much. So, yeah, if you are on the fence like I was, go for it if you can still find one with the OLED screen. You won't regret it.
Old 07-31-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Well after the shortage of Vitas I had become interested in buying one. Last week I had heard Gamestop had them back in stock, then just today I saw in another thread that Best Buy had them again as well. I checked Bestbuy.com and sure enough, they had 'em. But it was for shipping only. So I was out today and decided to stop and Best Buy and look.

In their cage they had 2 Vitas with Borderlands 2. Well, now they have one. I have gone full Sony: PS3, PS4, PSV!
Old 07-31-14, 05:45 PM

Old 08-01-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How does the cross play / saves work? I'm a couple chapters in on Hotline Miami on PS3, but when I started on the Vita, I guess it didn't detect my save because it only gave me a new game option.
Old 08-01-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

depends on the game. usually there is an upload/download feature, or at least there was in Guacamele.
Old 08-01-14, 09:33 AM

Yeah, they all have an opinion to upload your game save to "the cloud" and then later download it on another system.
Note that this is different than the auto backup Cloud Saves that you get from PS Plus.
Old 08-01-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, I didn't know that I had to go in there and manually do that. I do have it on auto backup, so I assumed it was already there. I'll try that then. Thanks.
Old 08-02-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been playing Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time, as I started it on my PS3 before I bought my Vita, and have used the cloud save to play it on the Vita as well. The cool thing about that for this game is that I'm getting double trophies as the games have separate trophy lists. I know Sony did away with this on later games, and now cross-play games share lists, but still it's funny to have all these trophies popping when I load the cloud save.

Also, Sly has an additional feature. You can use your Vita as something like an infared viewer while playing on the PS3, and it'll show you where there are secrets in the game on your Vita screen. Kind of a cool little feature.

I've also been playing the cross-controller pack for LittleBigPlanet 2, and that hasn't worked quite as well. I keep getting issues with that, they have loads of trouble staying synced. Overall it was implemented pretty poorly.
Old 09-22-14, 11:04 AM

Nearly 700 Games Available to Play on PlayStation TV on Day One This October

+ Posted by John Koller on Sep 22, 2014 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

With PlayStation TV’s launch right around the corner on October 14, I’m pleased to confirm that nearly 700 games will be available in the U.S. and Canada to play on PS TV on Day One, including established, popular franchises like Killzone: Mercenary, cult hits like Persona 4 Golden, and classics like Metal Gear Solid. In addition, I’m pleased to announce that Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom from Little Orbit will also be available in November for PS TV (as well as PS Vita). Our library will continue to expand, with other fan favorites like Minecraft and more. We’re proud to bring such a broad array of content from multiple PlayStation platforms to PS TV, a small console at a great value.

On October 14, you can pick up a PS TV starting at $99.99 (MSRP) for the standalone system, or $139.99 (MSRP) for the bundle that includes a Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK 3), 8GB memory card, and The LEGO Movie Videogame. For a limited time, you can find an exclusive PS TV bundle at Walmart, which comes with everything in the PS TV bundle plus Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, also for $139.99 (MSRP).

PS TV has a large and diverse lineup of games for players of all types, including:

Rayman Origins
Persona 4 Golden
God of War Collection
Killzone: Mercenary
FINAL FANTASY X / X-2 HD Remaster
Dragon’s Crown
Spelunky
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: WAR OF THE LIONS
Metal Gear Solid
Patapon
Twisted Metal
Borderlands 2
Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom

PlayStation TV

PS TV plays select content from PlayStation systems past and present, including:
PlayStation Vita – PS TV plays select titles from PS Vita, which can either be downloaded to the device or inserted directly into the system using a PS Vita card.
PlayStation Classics – Download classic games from PS One and PlayStation Portable, like Wipeout and Metal Gear Solid.
PlayStation 3 – Our game streaming service PS Now is coming to PS TV, which will let you play many PS3 games on the device over the Internet*.
PlayStation 4 – If you’re a PS4 owner, use Remote Play to stream a remote play enabled PS4 game from your console to a PS TV over a wired internet connection. If the living room is tied up, just use Remote Play to send your PS4 game up to the bedroom and keep playing on PS TV.
*PS Now service may not be available in all areas. For details, see http://us.playstation.com/playstationnow

You can find more information on the games available for PS TV here: The list will continue to grow as our library expands, so stay tuned for more.

PlayStation TV may be a small platform, but it’s got a big PlayStation heart. We hope you get a chance to experience it when it launches in North America on October 14.
Old 09-22-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will it will have apps too like Amazon Prime, Vudu, Hulu, etc? If yes, then it is a no brainer for me to get it over a Roku or Apple TV; especially with PS4 remote play.
Old 09-22-14, 11:47 AM

It's a Vita without a screen or battery. Anything that plays on a Vita will play on this. I suppose there are some crappy cheap "minis" that play on it just like those that play on the Vita.

I'm looking forward to plugging it into my wife's Minivan entertainment system so my son can play video games on the TV screen during road trips. I had tried previously with a PS3 but it didn't work because any time you killed the ignition, it was like unplugging a running PS3 and required a full reboot.
Old 09-22-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Will it will have apps too like Amazon Prime, Vudu, Hulu, etc? If yes, then it is a no brainer for me to get it over a Roku or Apple TV; especially with PS4 remote play.
Currently, I think the Vita has Netflix and Hulu but not Amazon or Vudu.
Old 09-30-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
Currently, I think the Vita has Netflix and Hulu but not Amazon or Vudu.
The Vita currently has:

Redbox Instant
Hulu Plus
Crunchyroll
NHL Gamecenter
NBA Gametime
Crackle
Netflix
YouTube

The big omissions:

Amazon Instant Video
Vudu
MLB At Bat/MLB.tv
WWE Network
Old 10-01-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon and Vudu are the really big ones for me. Hopefully those will be added, then a Playstation TV is a definite buy.
Old 10-01-14, 09:35 AM

I bet they don't want any rival service that would enable downloading movies onto the Vita.
Old 10-01-14, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, you're probably right. Same reason that Amazon Prime isn't on an Apple TV though it is on the iPhone/iPad.

But for me, and probably a lot of other people too, I don't buy/rent digital movies/tv shows. I subscribe to Amazon Prime for the free shit (shipping, movies, tv) and I only have Vudu to house those free digital copies of movies you get when you buy the bluray. If Sony would add those two apps to the Vita/Playstation TV, then I would 100% go out and buy it as it would serve all of my streaming needs.
Old 10-01-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as space isn't a limitation, a used PS3 would probably make more sense.
Old 10-01-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

True, but PS4 remote play on a Playstation TV would be very nice. I don't want/need a Vita.
Old 10-02-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The new Vita Firmware came out last night. 3.30 adds themes to the Vita, as well as adding rarity stats to the trophy system, bringing it more in line with the PS4.
Old 10-04-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bummer that Amazon wont be on there. We are getting a streaming device soon and I was hoping to get the vita TV as I have a ton of games on psn for vita, psp and psone. I'll have a harder time convincing my wife that this is the better option over the roku without amazon prime.
Old 10-04-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, I bought a borderlands 2 bundle and already have the game, so I have a download code to trade if anyone is interested. Send me a PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.