Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Honestly as i said I am just getting unlimited tethering on my phone through verizon for like 10 bucks a month more than the 250 mb att one and it's unlimited. Also it will be running off of 4g instead of 3g. Mainly getting it so that I can do the console sharing and I'm sure that streaming will eat up 250 gigs pretty quickly. Also this way you can download games that are over 20 mb as IIRC that's what you are limited to on the att 3g.

Last edited by glassdragon; 02-28-12 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't know how much of a battery drain bluetooth is, but I turned it off because I'm not going to use it anytime soon... what a hassle to find the setting, though.
I need to find that setting. I noticed it was on the other day too, and thought I should turn that off.

The gift giving and whatnot is dependent on 3g, right, not point to point like the 3DS?
I don't know about being 3g dependent, do you mean giving or receiving? I received one via wi-fi (a challenge in Touch my Katamari (which I don't own) that had a time limit with it).
Old 02-28-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison
I need to find that setting. I noticed it was on the other day too, and thought I should turn that off.

I don't know about being 3g dependent, do you mean giving or receiving? I received one via wi-fi (a challenge in Touch my Katamari (which I don't own) that had a time limit with it).
the bluetooth setting is in... network settings, I believe, or something like that.

About the 3g thing, I mean if you're out and about and not on wifi, the 3DS will communicate directly with other 3DS's in the vicinity. Does the Vita do that, or is it only if you have 3g enabled?

Actually, if anyone has a wifi-only... does it come with the map program?
Old 02-28-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the bluetooth setting is in... network settings, I believe, or something like that.

About the 3g thing, I mean if you're out and about and not on wifi, the 3DS will communicate directly with other 3DS's in the vicinity. Does the Vita do that, or is it only if you have 3g enabled?

Actually, if anyone has a wifi-only... does it come with the map program?
Yes wifi does come with google maps. Not sure if it finds people out and about
Old 02-28-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How does the wifi pinpoint your location? I thought IP address translation would only give an approximation, and even that can get screwed up with nats and the like. And I thought the GPS was only in the 3G versions... does google maps show your location when you're logged into wifi?
Old 02-28-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How does the wifi pinpoint your location? I thought IP address translation would only give an approximation, and even that can get screwed up with nats and the like. And I thought the GPS was only in the 3G versions... does google maps show your location when you're logged into wifi?
Yes, but it's a bit off understandably. It says I am on the road that intersects mine, so it is fairly close but not exact
Old 02-28-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Sony Sells 1.2 Million PlayStation Vitas Worldwide

Four days after its release on U.S. shores, the PlayStation Vita has passed the one million mark worldwide. Sony has sold a total of 1.2 milion Vita units in Japan, the U.S., and all of its other territories, it said in a press release today.
I ended up taking mine back to Best Buy. Its an awesome system, but I think my hand held days are over. I'm more likely to grab my Droid and play on it instead.
Old 02-28-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,208 Likes on 4,235 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I ended up taking mine back to Best Buy. Its an awesome system, but I think my hand held days are over. I'm more likely to grab my Droid and play on it instead.
I haven't played a game on my droid since I got it. It totally kills the battery on mine.
Glad you're able to return yours, but I'm loving mine so far. It's really impressive tech.

BTW : I totally recommend the Travel Pouch. Space for the system, the charging cord, the AR cards and four games. I can pop it in my briefcase and bring it to work without a worry. Just what I was looking for.
Old 02-28-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The travel pouch is the large zippered one with two compartments, right? I have that too, although it's pretty big for just the vita itself (you can actually shove a 3ds in the other compartment if you want, though the fit is tight, plus I'm not confident that the analog sticks are properly protected, so I use the hori hard shell plus the case. I know, I know, overkill, but then I can just use the hori one by itself if I want.

The PDP pull and go folio also does the same thing: large case that has space for a bunch of carts, and a separate, removable case for the vita. Here's a review:
http://wanderson75.net/archives/6260

Last edited by fujishig; 02-28-12 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just played Lumines and I did not dig it. Anyone want to trade their copy of Ninja Gaiden, Hot shots golf, or Blazblue for it?
Old 02-28-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Yes, but it's a bit off understandably. It says I am on the road that intersects mine, so it is fairly close but not exact
Mines about the same on wi-fi. In maps it shows me a block behind my actual street.

People on NeoGaf have stated that you can use Skyhook http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php to pinpoint your location and tie it to your router/wi-fi access point.
Old 02-28-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got my $180 Vita from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Small dent on outer box and everything inside was perfect. Man, the Vita is pretty.
Old 02-29-12, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I picked up the Wi-Fi only model at Target with free 4gb memory card, I also picked up the basic fold around case to shield it from scratches. I didn't get any games but I did use my Team Member and Red Card discounts so I paid about $251 for the set.

The good news is that the two free PSP games I got from the Sony Welcome Back program transferred to it via the PS3 hookup workaround.
Old 02-29-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I picked up a Wifi model today. My 3DS is on ebay and I took advantage of the GS deal where you get an extra $25 for trading in an old PSP. Only have Rayman so far. I'm looking forward to after work so I can set it up.
Old 02-29-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noonan,

How much did you pay for your Vita?
I saw that deal, I have a PSP-3000, and thought about trying that.
Old 02-29-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I traded in a PSP-3000 and 5-6 games of varying value. After the wifi system, 4gig card, and Rayman, I ended up paying $120 and change.
Old 02-29-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much did you receive for the PSP-3000? $50 plus the extra $25?
Old 02-29-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure. I didn't look at the breakdown of how much I got for each item. The receipt is in my car now that I'm back at work.
Old 02-29-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

about tree-fitty.
Old 02-29-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
about tree-fitty.
I ain't givin' you no tree-fitty, you goddamn Loch Ness Monster!
Old 02-29-12, 02:42 PM
Cool New Member

I'll probably get a Vita at some point but not gonna buy one at this price.
Old 02-29-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just realized you have to use their charging plug. You can't connect the USB cable to a standard USB charger (I tried one for an iPhone). That's a pain. I was all happy when I saw it used USB.
Old 02-29-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That USB port is so you can eventually transfer iso files over.
Old 02-29-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,208 Likes on 4,235 Posts

It can charge with USB, but you have to completely power off the Vita first.
Old 02-29-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I meant the charger. It looks to be a standard USB charger; female USB on one end where the cable plugs into, outlet plug on the other. It would have been nice if you could use the charger from any phone/tablet that we all have more than one of already. I bet they did it just so you'd have to buy theirs if you wanted a spare.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.