Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
re: Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

<iframe id="viddler-945ac863" src="//www.viddler.com/embed/945ac863/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&disablebranding=0" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 12-29-11, 06:27 PM

Pretty huge, detailed review from Joystiq. Lots of pluses and minuses. I'm still undecided...
Old 12-29-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I still have my pre-order in effect. If my 2 cent 4GB card from Amazon actually comes through, then I'll probably keep my pre-order. If it doesn't, then I might wait for a better deal.

Also, it seems that Target has the Vita for $10 off and comes with a $20 gift card, or something to the like.
Old 12-29-11, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I expected the battery life to be dismal. Still it's no different than the 3DS, which is sad considering the hardware. I also don't like that the battery can't be replaced..so no replacing it with an aftermarket higher capacity. The overall size of the system doesn't bother me either but I'm a little concerned about the buttons and the spacing between them. Not a fan of the interface and would have preferred they stuck with the XMB from the PS3 and PSP. Hopefully someone will come up with a way to customize this and use an XMB style interface. The back touchpad is unnecessary and I know I'll probably never use it...wish they would have just ditched this and made the back a matte finish like the original PSP. Aside from all that, I still plan on keeping my pre-order at Amazon. Can't wait to play the new Hot Shots Golf and Ridge Racer games.
Old 01-05-12, 12:01 PM

Ruh-Ro :

Vita sales drop again in third week

by JC Fletcher on Jan 5th 2012 11:00AM
Media Create data shows that the PlayStation Vita sold 42,648 units in its third week at Japanese retail, a precipitous drop from last week's already troubling 72,479. Once again, the new handheld trails behind the 3DS (at 197,952), PS3, and, yes, the PSP.

Compare that to the 3DS, which was also perceived as something of a flop in its early days. In its third week on the market (from March 7 through March 13 of last year), 96,463 3DS systems were sold in Japan, with 209,623 preceding. The Vita is clearly off to a slower start.

Once again, no Vita games appeared in the Media Create top 20 software charts, though we expect slow retail software sales even after the system picks up, thanks to the pervasive digital distribution of Vita games.
Old 01-05-12, 01:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the bump. It reminded me that I had this thing pre-ordered at Amazon and I was able to cancel it. I've totally lost interest.
Old 01-05-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sony screwed up big time by not having this out for the holiday season. Now, I doubt any one is even excited about this coming out in Feb. Then hearing that Uncharted Golden Abyss has severe technical problems killed my excitement completely.
Old 01-05-12, 02:53 PM

I cancelled my preorder also. I was never really excited about it but the proprietary memory cards were the last straw for me.
Old 01-05-12, 03:28 PM

I haven't cancelled mine yet, but I'm seriously considering it. I barely play my 3DS, despite having a number of games (well, actually two) that I really like on it. I'm just not too into mobile gaming overall. I'd rather play on one of my home consoles, and when I'm out and about I'd rather bring my iPad so I can play some games, watch a movie, read a book, surf the web and listen to music off the cloud.

Actually, I think I just talked myself into cancelling my preorder.
Old 01-05-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mobile gaming climate has changed drastically since the smartphone. With Android and iOS selling free or $1 apps this system (or the 3ds) really can't compete.
Old 01-05-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
The mobile gaming climate has changed drastically since the smartphone. With Android and iOS selling free or $1 apps this system (or the 3ds) really can't compete.
I agree, and it's not just the games though; the problem is that there is just so much more you can do on the go. In the time of the Game Boy's heyday, your only options for portable entertainment were pretty much limited to listening to music, one tape or CD at a time, or playing a game. (Well, okay, reading a book too.) Now, you could browse the web, talk or text, watch a video, or listen to music from a vast library.

I still think touchscreen-only devices are mediocre for action games, but it doesn't matter. The demand for the console-like experience on the go has just dried up.
Old 01-05-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eh, I'll still get one. I gotta play me the new Uncharted, plus I sold my PSP so I have nothing to play my digital PSP games on at the moment. And I got Best Buy's $100 gift card for those 5 pre-orders, so eh, why not...
Old 01-05-12, 10:26 PM

I'm still in for one. Slow sales in Japan isn't going to change my mind about it. I've been watching unboxing and review videos on Youtube and one guy, who lives in Japan, said that the slow sales could be due to the shortage of WiFi only models. He says the 3G models are easily available everywhere but you can't find any WiFi only ones. It's a considerable price difference between the two so some people could be holding off purchasing until they can get a WiFi only one.
Old 01-06-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently some of the games have GPS functionality that won't work unless you have the 3G version. That said if I got one I'd only get a wifi only version.
Old 01-06-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have zero interest in this.
Old 01-06-12, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I have zero interest in this.
Then is there a need to post in a thread for it?

Old 01-06-12, 01:41 PM

Battery life doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone is saying it is. Guy in this video owns the 3G version and with everything on(3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.) and at max brightness he was able to get 4.5 hrs. Without those feature turned on he was pushing 6hrs. Not as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p50fF423Chc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-06-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Setzer
Then is there a need to post in a thread for it?

I'm always interested in gauging interest in new games and products from forum members here, so I think there is.
Old 01-06-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I'm always interested in gauging interest in new games and products from forum members here, so I think there is.
Even more so when a gamer like Gramps says he has no interest. The amount of games and variety he plays is a ton so I was really surprised to see his post.

The Vita has lost me as well for all the main reasons other people have already posted. If there are good reviews and phenomenal deals by next x-mas, I may jump. But I am definitely holding out for a year and getting my backlog caught up before jumping into any other systems.
Old 01-06-12, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
If I don't have an interest in something, whether it be a particular game or system, then I'm not going to go post in a thread discussing that said game or system and say, "I'm not interested in it.". I just don't see the point to it.
Old 01-06-12, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Even more so when a gamer like Gramps says he has no interest. The amount of games and variety he plays is a ton so I was really surprised to see his post.
If he's played the Vita and has had hands-on with the games and makes a post saying he doesn't like the hardware or the selection of games...whatever...then I would respect his opinion as a gamer much more than just saying "I'm not interested."
Old 01-06-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
If I don't have an interest in something, whether it be a particular game or system, then I'm not going to go post in a thread discussing that said game or system and say, "I'm not interested in it.". I just don't see the point to it.
Sample size? Having no interest is a valid reaction to things, even things others anticipate. Likewise, I have no interest in it other than it's a thing that's sort of relevant to my overall interests. I follow things to see what others think.

Someone saying they have no interest is the same thing as a registered voter abstaining from a particular race. We're allowed to vote "None of the Above".
Old 01-06-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had it preordered but decided to cancel it. My backlog of games is huge at the moment and figured I can wait til there's a better library and cheaper price. I was only interested in Uncharted anyways...and I just got my Uncharted fix with UC3
Old 01-06-12, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Sample size? Having no interest is a valid reaction to things, even things others anticipate. Likewise, I have no interest in it other than it's a thing that's sort of relevant to my overall interests. I follow things to see what others think.

Someone saying they have no interest is the same thing as a registered voter abstaining from a particular race. We're allowed to vote "None of the Above".
Ok, I guess its just matter of opinion then. I don't feel like I'm bringing any sort of substance to a thread discussing a particular game or hardware by just saying, "I'm not interested in it."...in my opinion, its just best not to say anything at all and avoid the thread. Oh well, let's move on.
Old 01-06-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that spewing hate over something you have no experience with is a bad thing, but pre-release it's interesting to see how opinions change (or stay the same) just based on what's out there. It's not like anyone said it sucks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.