Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I Keep My PS3 Or Will My 360 Get All The Love?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Legitamate question. No fanboyism.

I have both systems. Had the 360 since a year after launch, the PS3 since launch. It seems like the only time I buy a PS3 game is when there's an exclusive but lately I haven't even been doing that.

I played inFamous back in the day, and the inFamous 2 trailer just doesn't excite me. Killzone 2 was fun. Killzone 3? Not really feeling it. Never even played Uncharted 2 or God of War III, and have no desire to.

I only use my PS3 for Blu-Ray's nowadays, and it seems like a waste. One of my friends said it is one of the best Blu-Ray players around, so maybe keeping it around isn't too bad. Otherwise, I'd sell it and replace it with another player.

What's my motivation for keeping it? I enjoy Xbox Live and XBLA more than PSN. I like acheivements more than trophies. The 360 consistently beats the PS3 in game comparisons. I like the 360 controller better. I like Kinect better than Move.

Are there killer games coming out? Anything mind blowing? Would I be a fool to get rid of it, or a fool to keep it?
Old 01-10-11, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Should I Keep My PS3 Or Will My 360 Get All The Love?

Keep your PS3....if anything it is a great Blu-ray player. Also, if you have not played Enslaved buy it!!! This game was way under my radar and when I saw Amazon's sale last month I picked this title up for $20.00. I am a huge Uncharted fan and feel this game tops Uncharted.

My 360 has also received more love over the years but mostly due to the fact I can get games for the 360 much cheaper. Not sure if that is Sony's fault or what but games available for both systems seem to always run higher on the PS3.
Old 01-10-11, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand not wanting to own both consoles...went through the same process myself but ended up going the opposite way. Unless you're a big Halo or Gears fan, or unless all of your RL friends are on 360, I can't see going that way. PS simply has more and better exclusives for the past 2-3 years and is a great multimedia machine. It's the only disk player in my living room.

2011:

Little Big Planet 2
SOCOM 4: Special Forces
DC Universe Online
Motorstorm:Apocalypse
Killzone 3
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Twisted Metal
Agent
Infamous 2
The Last Guardian
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Resistance 3
The Agency
Uncharted 3
Starhawk (maybe)
Old 01-10-11, 05:57 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

The 360 is my game machine, the PS3 is my bluray player, and the Wii is my thing that sits in the corner collecting dust. No fanboyism. Just the way it is.

I'd keep the PS3 just because it's a great bluray player. There are a few good exclusives. But the only one I couldn't live without is Ratchet & Clank.

My 360 gets more play because of Xbox Live and most importantly, I love the controller. I've also noticed that 360 games are often cheaper. But even if they weren't, I'd pay a couple bucks more to play them on the 360. It's all about the controller.
Old 01-10-11, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't make sense to me to get rid of it if you're just going to replace it with another Blu-Ray. You already spent the money, might as well keep it since you never know if something is going to come along that gets you to game on it again. Just my opinion.
Old 01-10-11, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I went the opposite way, like Chess. I had a 360 since a few months after launch. Loved it but had to sell it due to some financial hardships. Pined for one for a while until I was finally able to re-buy it. Also got a PS3 around the same time since I got them both pretty cheap (Craigslist). Loved the 360, played it a ton more than the PS3. Then gradually, something started to change. I became less and less interested in the exclusives on the 360 and fell more and more in love with the PS3 (I was a big PS2 fan). So I ended up selling off the 360 (and the Wii), and other than a few regrets (Alan Wake, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Gears 3), I haven't looked back.
Old 01-10-11, 10:54 AM

If one has to ask others, 'Should I do this?', the answer is almost always, "No, don't take any action."

And that's especially true in this case, when the following comment is guaranteed to come to mind of every reader of this thread.

Originally Posted by atxbomber
It doesn't make sense to me to get rid of it if you're just going to replace it with another Blu-Ray.
Old 01-10-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I have both consoles and buy whichever platform is cheaper, though I tend to favor 360 for action. I like both Uncharted and Halo so would find it difficult to use just one.
Old 01-10-11, 11:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

PS3: Buy it for the Blu-Ray player, keep it for Home.
Old 01-10-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by djones6746
Keep your PS3....if anything it is a great Blu-ray player. Also, if you have not played Enslaved buy it!!! This game was way under my radar and when I saw Amazon's sale last month I picked this title up for $20.00. I am a huge Uncharted fan and feel this game tops Uncharted.

My 360 has also received more love over the years but mostly due to the fact I can get games for the 360 much cheaper. Not sure if that is Sony's fault or what but games available for both systems seem to always run higher on the PS3.
I played Enslaved on the 360. It was fun

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The 360 is my game machine, the PS3 is my bluray player, and the Wii is my thing that sits in the corner collecting dust. No fanboyism. Just the way it is.

I'd keep the PS3 just because it's a great bluray player. There are a few good exclusives. But the only one I couldn't live without is Ratchet & Clank.

My 360 gets more play because of Xbox Live and most importantly, I love the controller. I've also noticed that 360 games are often cheaper. But even if they weren't, I'd pay a couple bucks more to play them on the 360. It's all about the controller.
I got rid of my Wii because like you said it was collecting dust.

It doesn't make sense to me to get rid of it if you're just going to replace it with another Blu-Ray. You already spent the money, might as well keep it since you never know if something is going to come along that gets you to game on it again. Just my opinion.
Good point, I never thought of that.

Originally Posted by Groucho
I forgot about Home. I am so keeping it. Home roolz.

Old 01-10-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Completely agree with this statement.

Unless you are just really hard up for money, I have never understood getting rid of a current gen console once you have paid for it. Even though my Wii hasn't been played probably 20 hours in the past year, I still keep it around because I know something might get my interest on it and I still have a few exclusives I need to play on it.

I don't regret my PS3 purchase at all because it is the best BD player out there. The occasional exclusive game that comes out that interests me is a bonus.
Old 01-10-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both the PS3 and 360. The PS3 gets 90% of my gaming time. Even so, I have to ask, does Home still exist? I haven't gone into it since 1 or 2 days after it went live and can't for the life of me remember if the icon is still on the menu bar.
Old 01-10-11, 11:55 AM

It must still exist, as I sometimes get notifications from the automatic download system that it's grabbed the latest patch.
Old 01-10-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I prefer all my multiconsole games on the 360 - better community of friends in general, better controller, better interfaces, also xbla seems to have more games I like (Splosion Man and Super Meat Boy come to mind) vs. PSN, etc; I rarely use my PS3 for the PS3 exclusives (which haven't been my cup of tea so far outside of Uncharted -- which is why I bought the system to begin with) but it is an excellent bluray player.
Old 01-10-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...xclusive-games

If you don't find anything you like here I suggest you get rid of it.
Old 01-10-11, 12:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I moved my PS3 to the living room, since it didn't prove to be very useful in the "home theatre" and it allowed my wife and I to watch movies or play games separately when necessary.

off-topic: The PS3 may be the best Blu-ray player out there, but I greatly prefer my HTPC with TMT5 installed, especially for foreign films. As many know, sometime subtitles on 2.35:1 films are half in the active frame, and half in the black bar below. That's a huge problem for CIH projector setups, but I'm just watching it on a 56" TV and find it annoying. TMT5 allows me to EASILY move those subtitles (on Blu-ray or DVD!) back into the active frame.

So yeah, the PS3 is a good Netflix player and occasional Blu-ray player for me. I haven't played a game on it since M.A.G.
Old 01-10-11, 12:46 PM

nickdawgy, you should really try the Uncharted games. I believe there's a demo for the first one if you're that skeptical.
Old 01-10-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nickdawgy, you should really try the Uncharted games. I believe there's a demo for the first one if you're that skeptical.
Agreed, you really shouldn't write off Uncharted 2, especially since, IMO it's a very similar type of game to Enslaved which you enjoyed. You should also check out God of War III.

I have them both (all the consoles actually), I can't imagine giving up any of the them. They all have exclusives that I want to play at some point. I prefer the 360 controller so I buy most multiplatform games on the 360, but I still couldn't give up the ps3.
Old 01-10-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Completely agree with this statement.

Unless you are just really hard up for money, I have never understood getting rid of a current gen console once you have paid for it. Even though my Wii hasn't been played probably 20 hours in the past year, I still keep it around because I know something might get my interest on it and I still have a few exclusives I need to play on it.

I don't regret my PS3 purchase at all because it is the best BD player out there. The occasional exclusive game that comes out that interests me is a bonus.

Yeah, I think that is the main reason I decided I should keep it. Definitely not hard up for cash, thank goodness.

I did play part of the first one. I have to say it might have been the best looking game I have ever seen. That seems to be one area the PS3 kills the 360 - exclusives.
Old 01-10-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were in your situation, I'd keep the PS3 just for Blu-Ray and The Show.
Old 01-10-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I use my PS3 as a blu ray player and to keep amused during my 360's biennial trip to Texas for some R&R.
Old 01-10-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
If I were in your situation, I'd keep the PS3 just for Blu-Ray and The Show.
The Show was the one game for PS3 I'd always buy. Not sure about this year. But I am a big baseball fan, so I'd probably cave.
Old 01-11-11, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Keep it. Like everyone else has mentioned it's a great BD player/Media Center and has a lot of great exclusives for gaming.
Old 01-11-11, 12:47 PM

I would say keep it it's a great blu ray player. I own both systems and I use my Xbox 360 for gaming and my PS3 for watching movies. The sad thing is I own 4 games for my PS3 Heavy Rain being one of those games.
Old 01-11-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DavJohnson
I would say keep it it's a great blu ray player. I own both systems and I use my Xbox 360 for gaming and my PS3 for watching movies. The sad thing is I own 4 games for my PS3 Heavy Rain being one of those games.
Heavy Rain is a great game

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.