Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games that surprised you the most?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Games that surprised you the most?

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Fallout 3 for me. My roommate at the time had won it for free and it was just sitting next to the XBox...I was bored one day and played it. I stopped maybe 8 hours later. To this date, it's still the game that I've put the most time into on the 360.
How are the add-ons? I never played the original version, and was going to pick up the Game of the Year edition on PS3. However, all the negative reviews regarding glitches scared me away. Picked up the original version for cheap. I guess I can get 'em online...
Old 10-22-17, 07:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Gonna have to bring this back for a bit bc DOOM surprised the hell out me (even though haven’t finished yet) then Wolfenstein: The Order, now Destiny 2 is killin it for me.

So, any games surprised you for good or bad?
Old 10-22-17, 09:48 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Life is Strange. I went into it expecting to laugh at how bad it was, and it ended up being one of my top two games of 2015. It's just that damn good; warts and all.
Old 10-22-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thelwig14
The Saboteur-amazing game, so underappreciated.
I had to recheck that it wasn't me posting this.

I loved The Saboteur. I think you can finish the main story in 6 hours or so. I probably spent more than 40 hours in this game.
Old 10-23-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Until Dawn. Thought it would be a stupid Quick Time garbage game after playing a five minute demo at PSX, but I really enjoyed it. Much better than it had any right to be.

I expected Horizon Zero Dawn to be pretty good, but man it was really fantastic and way deeper and bigger and more interesting than I could have ever imagined.

If there were a DLC category, there could be only one possible choice - Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels. Who knew that would even be a thing? And it turned out to be the best racing game of the year by far -- in a year that gave both a new Forza game and a new Gran Turismo.
Old 10-23-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't played it yet, but I was surprised to hear the high praise of Resident Evil 7. I figured that the series had run it's course, and RE6 was a train wreck that I didn't think they could recover from. Throw in the first person mode and optional VR and I thought it was going to be a disaster.

I'll also throw in Rock Band. When my friend first told me that he spent something like $200 on a bunch of plastic instruments I thought he was fucking nuts. But after we went over there and had some drinks and started playing, I was sold.
Old 10-23-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm going to say Borderlands 1....I had a friend who was one of the first to buy it and swore it was one of the more fun games he ever played. I remember looking at it and saying, "really....this looks kinda of cheesy with Gel-cell shading and comic looking characters"...

Second game is "Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor"....I really didn't have anything going in, just I had a open slot in my schedule and wasn't expecting much.....just one heck of a game

Wolfenstein: The New Order just an insane blast to play with a unique twist on history

Bloodborne...never ever even played a game like this so no idea what to expect. Probably the one game that had the most "I Love It...I Hate It" effect on me period....just amazing settings and play.
Old 10-23-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Outlast (and the Whistleblower DLC)
Evil Within 1 DLC (both DLC's - absolutely loved them)
Infinite Warfare - beneath a seemingly mundane multiplayer platform is actually a great, well tuned experience with a ton of weapons and load out options.
Resident Evil 7 - Yes, the second half tanks but the first half is exceptional.
Old 10-23-17, 10:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Glittermitten Grove