Blockbuster online rentals now including video games at no extra charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Blockbuster online rentals now including video games at no extra charge

So I went to add a couple movies to my queue this morning and saw this

http://www.blockbuster.com/gamesbymail

I thought this was awesome. I’ve been on their cheapest plan for the past couple years for around $9 a month. So now you can get DVDs/Blu Rays/Games for the same price.
Old 08-10-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Blockbuster online rentals now including video games at no extra charge

Still not enough to get me to give Blockbuster my money again. But, gotta admire them actually trying for once, even though it's while their business is in ruin.
Old 08-10-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

That is pretty cool, though
1) Bankruptcy is around the corner
2) I don't have any faith that they'll have new game to rent out. You think getting new movies is bad, what about new games where the person who gets them will spend more than the 1-2 hours it usually takes to watch a movie? No idea how Gamefly does it, but it seems like they have to unload a ton of used stock every month or so...

Let us know how it works!
Old 08-10-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

that's actually a pretty cool idea, imho. i am not switching from netflix, but i applaud their creativity to try and get new customers and retain old ones.
Old 08-10-10, 01:16 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I put a couple games in my queue on Sunday night, and they shipped out on Monday morning, no problems at all. I won't be trying to get the latest hot game with this, but it is a very cheap way to check out a game for a full week, and I'll still be able to watch 3 or 4 movies with my other two slots, then return everything in store on Sunday night to start the process again next week.
Old 08-11-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've heard that you cannot return games in-store, though.

But the big caveat is... apparently the newest games they have are 4 months old... (and I'm not talking about availability, they don't even have any recent games at any availability)
Old 08-12-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I've heard that you cannot return games in-store, though.
I just checked the site and that is not true, you can return them to stores...

Besides, it wouldn't make any sense not to let you anyway....they don't do anything with the envelopes when you check them back in at a store but collect them all and send them back together each day from the stores to the online distribution centers....why would it be any different for game discs then it is for DVDs?
Old 08-12-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was gonna re-sign up for BB Online just because it would be cheaper than using gamefly, but I saw that some new games (like Madden) wont be "in stock" until november??
Old 08-12-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

considering it usually takes until november to get a game like madden from gamefly, it's a wash either way.
Old 08-12-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I just checked the site and that is not true, you can return them to stores...

Besides, it wouldn't make any sense not to let you anyway....they don't do anything with the envelopes when you check them back in at a store but collect them all and send them back together each day from the stores to the online distribution centers....why would it be any different for game discs then it is for DVDs?
Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder if they're going to improve their stock of new games, or if they're just using this to funnel all the older games they would have sold as pre-owned. The problem I have is that I already have a huge backlog of games, and the primary use I'd get out of a rental system would be to try out new games while they're new.
Old 08-12-10, 05:57 PM
Political Exile

It's perfect for me, because me and my daughter rip on all the bad looking games that are available to buy or rent, and I'm not willing to spend the $5 to $8 to rent or $10 to $20 to buy them just to see. Now I have iCarly and Build-a-Bear at home to play this week, will probably get Hannah Montana the Movie next. At
Old 08-14-10, 04:34 PM

Until they offer streaming directly to the PS3 and they have a solid selection of streams (including TV shows) I'm staying with Netflix.

I was with Gamefly before but their turnaround is horrible. They only have four shipping centers, and it takes a week to get to me.
Old 08-15-10, 12:48 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by GrooThePerverte
Until they offer streaming directly to the PS3 and they have a solid selection of streams (including TV shows) I'm staying with Netflix.

I was with Gamefly before but their turnaround is horrible. They only have four shipping centers, and it takes a week to get to me.
The nice thing is that you don't have to choose between them, I have both the 1-out plan with Netflix to get access to their streaming (and a rental), and 3-out with Blockbuster to get access to in-store & online rentals, and now video games.
Old 08-16-10, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Not going to make me switch, but it's a great addition. I first saw it advertised on this site, which I also give them credit for.
Old 08-16-10, 01:35 AM

might try BB just for games. its cheaper then gamefly. I wont leave Netflix though. I really wanted to like Gamefly but there turn around is horrible. It takes for ever it seems to send in a game and get one in the mail, plus you never seem to get the game you really want
Old 08-20-10, 01:03 PM

Even though this post is somewhat old I felt like I should post this. If something new comes out like the example used I believe was Madden you can return any game or movie in store and get Madden 11 from the store for free. I just took in Bioshock 2 and got Madden 11 even though it say's on the website it won't be available online for another couple months.

The manager at my Blockbuster said if you go over your in store exchanges you can still bring the movies/games in for exchange and any movie will be $1.99 and any game will be $4.99 for 5 day's. They are also working on implementing streaming but I don't expect that to do to well just because I don't picture the PS3 or 360 giving up NetFlix for Blockbuster with the current shape of the business.

But for the overall service I'm loving it so far. I had Gamefly for a while but it was horrible because you could only get game's that were 6 month's or older and even then you had to get lucky to get them. Shipping is great for me so far but that can always change. I will put a movie/game in the mail on Monday, they get it Wednesday, they ship out my next game/movie Wednesday, and I have it Friday. For 16.99 2 Blu-Rays/DVD/Games out at a time with 5 in store exchanges each billing period is almost unbeatable IMO.
Old 08-20-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I just got my first game yesterday after it shipped on Monday. Four days seems a little long especially since I'm on the one at a time program. Has anyone else noticed that long of a delay? I'm wondering if they only have one shipping center for the games.
Old 08-20-10, 07:10 PM
Political Exile

My first two games took an extra day to arrive (2 days vs 1 day for movies)
Old 08-20-10, 10:50 PM

Well I signed up for the free trial. The just shipped out Brutal Legends, so hopefully its here by monday. I like the price, but hate having to wait for new games.
Old 08-21-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn the Bourne game was short. Right around 4-5 hrs. Glad I rented this one.
Old 08-21-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a blockbuster in store plan. Unlimited 1 out for anything in the store for like 23 bucks a month. Not bad really
Old 09-17-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just signed up a few hours ago and my first game already shows as "processing". We'll see how this goes.
Old 09-17-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Just signed up a few hours ago and my first game already shows as "processing". We'll see how this goes.
Do they have new releases yet? Or is there still that month+ delay before they get them?
Old 09-17-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
Do they have new releases yet? Or is there still that month+ delay before they get them?
4 month delay still unfortunately. That's the only downside. Thankfully most of the games I've been wanting to check out are already four months old anyway.
Old 09-18-10, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have found that Blockbuster still takes your queue order as only a suggestion of what to send next, especially when it comes to games. They just skipped two "available now" titles to send my latest.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.