The Official Rock Band Thread of Music Game Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Official Rock Band Thread of Music Game Evolution

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Glad to be saving money!
Just think of all the money you'll save when the franchise dies!
Old 12-03-10, 07:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tenement Funster? Now that is truly a random track.
Old 12-03-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there were a way for those of us who already bought the initial Queen pack to upgrade those songs for cheaper, I'd have been all over it...but having to rebuy them at full price just to get the Keyboard parts - Fuck it. Sure it's like the dvd upgraded to blu-ray argument, but since I feel like that Queen pack was released so recently, I'm not biting. The dlc since RB3 came out has had nothing for me to really get excited about... getting excited for billy joel just speaks to the sorry state of affairs of late
Old 12-04-10, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Tenement Funster? Now that is truly a random track.
It'd be better if it was blended together with "Flick Of The Wrist" and "Lily Of The Valley" - that's a fantastic troika of songs off of Sheer Heart Attack.
Old 12-04-10, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would it be better for me to get the RB3 keyboard, or seek out a real midi-compatible keyboard. I was thinking that I would be better off with a real one - but I'm not sure what to look for as far as the output goes - USB?
Old 12-04-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by StatMan79
It'd be better if it was blended together with "Flick Of The Wrist" and "Lily Of The Valley" - that's a fantastic troika of songs off of Sheer Heart Attack.
Agreed. I would rather they just offer the entire album.
Old 12-04-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by achau9598
would it be better for me to get the RB3 keyboard, or seek out a real midi-compatible keyboard. I was thinking that I would be better off with a real one - but I'm not sure what to look for as far as the output goes - USB?
The keyboard needs a MIDI output and you need the MIDI adapter that matches your console. The adapter won't be released until the end of the month though (either the 26th or 31st, I've seen both release dates mentioned).
Old 12-04-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First time playing last night. Was rocking out pretty hard until I hit the 25 or 6 to 4 solo(s). Ouch.
Old 12-05-10, 02:36 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice in the drums department and I figured this would be a good place to ask. I currently have the RB1 drum set for PS3 and am looking to upgrade so I can play Pro Drums in RB3. I'm not a die hard drummer or anything, but I do enjoy it and host the occasional Rock Band party. I already have the RB3 game.

So my questions are:

1) For those that have used it, how is the new Mad Catz pro set with the cymbals and everything? Is it worth the money?

2) Am I better off investing in the Beatles drum set or RB2 drum set and then adding on the cymbals? (I think I'd have to get the whole package with the Beatles stuff though. I already have Beatles game too.)

3) I've heard about some ION drum set that people seem to rave about, but like I said, I'm not a hard core drummer and I think the ION is pretty pricey.

I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!
Old 12-05-10, 04:30 PM

Have people in Canada received their Pre-Order bonus from EBGames/Gamestop? I'm still waiting for my bonus songs.
I called the store last night, they told me to check with Activision. ???
Old 12-05-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ltrain
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice in the drums department and I figured this would be a good place to ask. I currently have the RB1 drum set for PS3 and am looking to upgrade so I can play Pro Drums in RB3. I'm not a die hard drummer or anything, but I do enjoy it and host the occasional Rock Band party. I already have the RB3 game.

So my questions are:

1) For those that have used it, how is the new Mad Catz pro set with the cymbals and everything? Is it worth the money?

2) Am I better off investing in the Beatles drum set or RB2 drum set and then adding on the cymbals? (I think I'd have to get the whole package with the Beatles stuff though. I already have Beatles game too.)

3) I've heard about some ION drum set that people seem to rave about, but like I said, I'm not a hard core drummer and I think the ION is pretty pricey.

I have the ION drum set and I would consider myself a pretty hard core RB drummer. It would probably be best for you to grab the RB2 kit and the cymbals. The only problem with the RB2 kit is that the rubber discs tend to bubble off the pads. I went though 2 kits before switching to the ION...but I am a heavy hitter and I play drums with two bands so YMMV. Pro Drums is just such a better experience though. Just so much more satisfying.
Old 12-05-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Went all over Louisville Friday night and came up empty handed, but this afternoon I found one of the Mad Catz wireless Wii Fender Strats at a Gamestop. My wife is literally opening the box as I type this; I couldn't hold on to it till Christmas, knowing she's been so disappointed at not being able to play her Green Day game.
Old 12-05-10, 09:29 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by ltrain

So my questions are:

I'm not a hard core drummer either (I can do some expert, but mostly a Hard/Medium player). I have the RB2 kit (no problems and been playing for at least a year) and just bought the cymbals (you need 3) RB3 set and they are a lot of fun. Be warned that it's going to feel almost like you're back to square one with the 3 new pads to hit (just did Don't Stop Believing on Hard the other day, WTF! lol) , but if you keep playing you'll be back to where you were pretty quick.

I never used the previous pads, but these aren't any louder than the RB2 pads (I use rubber tips on my sticks to dampen the noise too). They're a lot of fun, and if you are still using the RB1 drums you really need to upgrade. Those things are obnoxiously loud (played the Wii RB1 version at my brother in law's once).

-------------------------------

Just got an Amazon GC for my bday and xmas, so I may blow some of it on points to get the Queen upgrade (Under Pressure an obvious must...seems kind of a waste for drums on We Will Rock You though). Really looking forward to the Billy Joel stuff on the 14th though.
Old 12-06-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not RB related, but RBA tweeted this a little while ago... I thought it was pretty cool. I need to study it when I get home, .

http://www.mapofmetal.com
Old 12-06-10, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn
Not RB related, but RBA tweeted this a little while ago... I thought it was pretty cool. I need to study it when I get home, .

http://www.mapofmetal.com
That's fantastic! People always make fun of me when I try to explain all of the different sub-genre's of metal. This will hopefully help clear things up a bit. Thanks for posting...
Old 12-06-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

The Beatles: Rock Band - $80

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Old 12-06-10, 07:11 PM

Stupid question here: Since they're not going to be kind enough to offer some sort of discounted rate for the RB3 versions of songs they've put out already, is there a way to delete the old versions of the songs off your hard drive so when you download the new RB3 versions you don't duplicates.

The Bon Jovi thing I was able to stay away from but the Queen stuff I almost have to get the updated versions. I'm cheesed off that you have to pay full price on these things when you've already dropped money on the original versions but I guess that's their "GOTCHA!" trap with the keyboard and pro guitars.
Old 12-06-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kevad
That's fantastic! People always make fun of me when I try to explain all of the different sub-genre's of metal. This will hopefully help clear things up a bit. Thanks for posting...
That map was useful to me as well. I have seen things described as "mathcore" but had no idea what that even meant. It was also fun to explore to find the genre for the one kind of metal I like - stuff like Epica. Turns out it is symphonic death metal?

I also totally have to hunt down some medieval metal and Celtic metal.
Old 12-06-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh, WTF is this shit all about now?

So I decide I want to unwind and play some RB3. I put in the disc, fire the shit up, and happily download the update from the MS servers.

I play 2 songs and go to play my 3rd, Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold, and the god damned game says this shit:

To play this song, you need the latest update for Rock Band 3. Please make sure you have downloaded all updates for this title.
MOTHERFUCKER, I JUST DID! I'm online and everything. On this screen watching people sign on. How exactly am I supposed to make sure I have the latest patches beyond being online?

Restarting the game now since no amount of cancelling or backing out helped. Launched without update. Quickplay. Scan my hard drive all over again... Waiting... Just want to play a song... Still scanning... Ok, fucking finally. SAME SHIT!

What the fuck? Someone defend this shit, please. Amateur hour over at Harmonix.
Old 12-06-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's apparently been a problem with Afterlife if you exported it from the Track Pack V2. I'm assuming it's getting fixed with the Guess Who/Dino Jr tracks.
Old 12-06-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which I did. Ok, well, that's fine (I guess) assuming it gets fixed. Weird that none of the other TPV2 tracks (as I just played You've Got Another Thing Comin') seem to have problems.

Also, I'm in a bit of a pissy mood hence the "unwind" and desire to play something loud.

ETA: Well, if you pick the canned TPV2 setlist from the Career Goals, it plays just fine.
Old 12-06-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
ETA: Well, if you pick the canned TPV2 setlist from the Career Goals, it plays just fine.
Yeah, I just looked it up and folks are saying it'll play if you build a setlist, too. Weird.
Old 12-06-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux
That map was useful to me as well. I have seen things described as "mathcore" but had no idea what that even meant. It was also fun to explore to find the genre for the one kind of metal I like - stuff like Epica. Turns out it is symphonic death metal?

I also totally have to hunt down some medieval metal and Celtic metal.
Epica is really just symphonic metal, but yeah, most of the male vocals are of the death variety. You should also check out After Forever, they aren't around any more but they have 4 or 5 albums and they are all really good. I think their female vocalist, Floor, is probably one of the best female metal singers around, her voice is so versatile and dynamic.

Oh, and back to the RB talk, fuck The Guess Who AND Dinosaur Jr, I want to play the Anvil tracks!
Old 12-06-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Which I did. Ok, well, that's fine (I guess) assuming it gets fixed. Weird that none of the other TPV2 tracks (as I just played You've Got Another Thing Comin') seem to have problems.

Also, I'm in a bit of a pissy mood hence the "unwind" and desire to play something loud.

I also have it through the track pack, and have had the same problem. It's year is listed as 1900, and if I filter by decade, it comes up as the only song listed for "THE1900S", as opposed to "'00S SONGS" or whatever. I'm assuming that's what's causing the problem.
Old 12-07-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Yeah, I just looked it up and folks are saying it'll play if you build a setlist, too. Weird.
I tried it by doing this and it wouldn't work for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.