Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by pinata242
I've queued it up, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I don't know much about the blitz modes other than what you said, timed and leaderboard-centric. Looking at the features and achievement list, it did seem to hinge on online play and friend competition.

I'm interested in it, but I could easily wait for a 50% sale on it too.
That's right, folks. Pinata went from "meh" to posting You Tube videos in 13 hours, 25 minutes.
Old 02-23-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

170/200 on it now. The last one is just a guarantee. I'm still a little meh on it, but it's definitely a fun way to play. You'll have far more 40k games than you will 200k games.

Might should have been called Bejeweled Blue Ball Blitz.
Old 02-24-11, 01:00 AM

Knowing that you're enjoying it today, I tried it again. I still don't like it at all. A minute, while good for a very quick game, isn't enough time to really set anything up and, just the opposite really, prods you into careless mistakes. Maybe it's more fun online, but for now that game would be a pass for me at 400 points, I think. It's weird -- I really want to like this game, but I just don't.
Old 02-24-11, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That's right, folks. Pinata went from "meh" to posting You Tube videos in 13 hours, 25 minutes.
Old 02-24-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still a little meh on it, but it's definitely a fun way to play. You'll have far more 40k games than you will 200k games.
I'm in the same boat. The 60 second limit basically makes it sink or swim and puts 80% of that factor on luck. Which is fine if you're playing a ton of games, but if you just want to kick around for 5-10 minutes it feels like it'd be disappointing. I'm playing a review copy, but I don't think I would've picked it up for $10 if only because of my distaste for Twist and the limited and quick nature of play of Blitz.
Old 02-24-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's competitive Bejeweled. It does what it sets out to do reasonably well. It's vastly different from something like Pac-Man CE because, as fro said, it's 80% luck. That's true, but there's also skill involved. I'm averaging around 100k per game now and still enjoying it.

I also like Twist Maybe it's cuz I played Gyromancer so much, but Twist makes sense to me. For a while I was scoring way better on it than Classic. Not so much any more. Plus if you're going to play online, everyone is playing Classic anyway.

The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is the leveling system. You get XP which I can't tell is just score or if bonus gems and "party position" factor into it. I have something like 10M XP and I'm only level 16. Need to get to 50 for the final achievement. It's definitely got the traditional exponential curve to it. I wonder if they'll have Double XP events

I like it, but it's going to be hard to go back to Bejeweled 2 for that neverending quest.
Old 02-24-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like it, but it's going to be hard to go back to Bejeweled 2 for that neverending quest.
I actually went back to 2 last night to play a quick game and found all of my lifetime stats to have been cleared. Joy. I love playing that game but so much about it can seriously eat a bag of dicks.
Old 02-24-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superfro
I actually went back to 2 last night to play a quick game and found all of my lifetime stats to have been cleared. Joy. I love playing that game but so much about it can seriously eat a bag of dicks.
Someone's clearly been playing too much bulletstorm.
Old 02-24-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<embed id="mymovie" width="640" height="399" flashvars="bwr=0&playerMode=embedded&movieAspect=16.9&mapp=embedded_640&gen=1&viewMode=sd&autoPlay=false&paramsXML=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamespot.com%2Fpages%2Fvideo_player%2Fxml.php%3Fid%3D6300911%26mode%3Demb edded%26width%3D640%26height%3D399%26newplayer%3D1%26skin%3DeidotheaEmbedded640_169.xml" wmode="opaque" allowscriptaccess="always" scale="noScale" salign="lt" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" name="mymovie" style="" src="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/eidothea/release/eidothea.swf?ver=006_g_939" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/></embed>

I tried so hard to get to that live action shoot in Austin last month, but I had important friend stuff to do that night back in Tulsa and booking the flights cut it way too close and driving 8 hours was clearly out. Super bummed
Old 02-25-11, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The more I play BBL, the more I like it. The minutes seem longer now or rather I seem like I can get more done in a minute. It's crazy, it's chaotic, and it's fun. Sad that a year or two ago, this might have been a 400-point game and people would have gobbled it up. I feel like I've gotten my $10 worth out of it already and I'm going to be playing a lot more (if only because I'm only 25% of the way to level 50).

Anyway, I recommend everyone futz with the demo some more, watch some replays on the leaderboards (if you can), and try to get a feel for it. When it goes up for sale in June or July, I'll bug you again.
Old 02-25-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Surprise XBLA release? I just queued up the demo..

Days of Thunder
Old 02-25-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you drive a Mellow Yellow car?
Old 02-25-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Gunstringer Looks damn promising.
Old 02-25-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The more I play BBL, the more I like it. The minutes seem longer now or rather I seem like I can get more done in a minute.
I also played some more and had a hard time stepping away from it last night. Another factor of the 60 second time limit is that it makes it way too easy to fall into the "just one more" trap. Then it's 30-40 minutes later.
Old 02-25-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New "news" for Dungeon Twister.

Basically they are going to be showing it in Europe soon at a convention. A trailer will hit Youtube soon as well.

Also, the character models in Europe will have cleavage and for the US the release will be more family friendly and they will be covered a little more. Pics on the link.

http://www.dungeontwister.org/news_lire.php?id=70
Old 02-25-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Also, the character models in Europe will have cleavage and for the US the release will be more family friendly and they will be covered a little more. Pics on the link.

Old 02-25-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
New "news" for Dungeon Twister.

Basically they are going to be showing it in Europe soon at a convention. A trailer will hit Youtube soon as well.

With you pimping this game for the last 5 years, it can never live up to my expectations.

I hope it comes out soon, cleavage or not.
Old 02-25-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
With you pimping this game for the last 5 years, it can never live up to my expectations.

I hope it comes out soon, cleavage or not.

The game is a very strategic game. That being said, some people hate the fact that it is a somewhat dry game due to little to no luck and each of your turns feeling like you have a good deal of information to process and decisions to make in a short period of time. I think the comparison to chess is pretty spot on.

I'm excited because it is hard to find people locally with whom to play who are close to my skill level (everyone is either a total newbie to the game, has played it for way longer than me and are familiar with more strategies, or simply can out-think me ). Having an AI to play against will be a blast. Having randoms online with which to play will also be great.

It will however be a pretty niche title - I just hope they implement an asynchronous play option.

Also, when playing at conventions and stuff they typically use chess clocks or stopwatches to keep turns from taking too long. Having it on XBLA will bake in that functionality (hopefully) which I think will make the experience better for everyone. There is nothing worse than learning a game for the first time and having your teacher take forever on their turn.
Old 02-25-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also thought it was an odd change.

The models that show some cleavage are pretty spot on for the art in the actual game. The art on the actual game is a little tiny cardboard standup. It just seems weird this decision was made when it wasn't like the European art was really revealing.

I assume it might be more to reduce it from a T rating to an E rating?
Old 02-25-11, 11:15 AM

The more I play BBL, the more I like it. The minutes seem longer now or rather I seem like I can get more done in a minute. It's crazy, it's chaotic, and it's fun. Sad that a year or two ago, this might have been a 400-point game and people would have gobbled it up.
Turns out, this is actually a game mode in the iPhone Bejeweled 2 app I already own. I had no idea. I'll try playing that for a while and see if I warm up to this game. But it'll certainly be one I can hold off until it goes on sale, if I pick it up at all.
Old 02-25-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Turns out, this is actually a game mode in the iPhone Bejeweled 2 app I already own. I had no idea. I'll try playing that for a while and see if I warm up to this game. But it'll certainly be one I can hold off until it goes on sale, if I pick it up at all.
Is it the same Bejeweled Blitz game that is available for free through Facebook?
Old 02-25-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's pretty fun when you try to beat your Facebook friends' scores.
Old 02-28-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As cold as I was on Bejeweled Blitz, it was hard to put the fucker down over the weekend. It's addicting as hell. Oddly enough the one minute time limit makes it ridiculously easy to fall into a time suck.

And according to Raptr pinata is over 17 hours of time put into the game. WTF.
Old 02-28-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Who knows what Raptr would say about you Mr I'm-going-to-play-online-and-join-games-that-people-on-my-friends-list-are-in-but-I'm-going-to-appear-offline.

I'm not sure that's all playing time. Leaving it idle would accrue on Raptr. I took it to poker saturday night and let others play and it was probably on for an hour there. Plus I listened to three of your shows and the entire run of Paul Scheer's "How Did This Get Made?"
Old 02-28-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who knows what Raptr would say about you Mr I'm-going-to-play-online-and-join-games-that-people-on-my-friends-list-are-in-but-I'm-going-to-appear-offline.

I'm not sure that's all playing time. Leaving it idle would accrue on Raptr. I took it to poker saturday night and let others play and it was probably on for an hour there. Plus I listened to three of your shows and the entire run of Paul Scheer's "How Did This Get Made?"
I have to appear offline, else the same dude keeps sending me a "MvsC3?!?!" request. I can only ignore people so much.

Your XP is ridiculous.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.