Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

No "Avatar" "Fart" or "Extreme" in the title = No Sale.

Actually, that could have potential. A downloadable game with online co-op? I didn't know that was possible!
Old 08-19-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by superfro
Play it 3 times next year and you still won't get close to the number of hours I'll have put into MNC by even the end of this month.
Same here. I have been playing a goofy amount of MNC. Just about every night I have getting in a few matches. Sometimes with the headset and full teamwork and sometimes with no headset and just helping out as I see fit.
Old 08-19-10, 02:08 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
No "Avatar" "Fart" or "Extreme" in the title = No Sale.

Actually, that could have potential. A downloadable game with online co-op? I didn't know that was possible!
yeah, if I made a game with zombies in it had online coop, at least 3 of my friends would have bought it just because....
Old 08-19-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foxdvd
yeah, if I made a game with zombies in it had online coop, at least 3 of my friends would have bought it just because....
I'll have to locate it, but I just saw an article the other day discussing how people online demand games have online functionality and then never even use it (or intended to use it).. citing things like the Sega Genesis ports or other XBLA titles specifically, etc. It was interesting and seemed to resonate true a bit, from my experiences/observations.
Old 08-19-10, 03:37 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'll have to locate it, but I just saw an article the other day discussing how people online demand games have online functionality and then never even use it (or intended to use it).. citing things like the Sega Genesis ports or other XBLA titles specifically, etc. It was interesting and seemed to resonate true a bit, from my experiences/observations.
and yet, in my experiences/observations among my group of friends, games get more online coop play....all my good friends have moved around the country, and the ability to play with them again is a blessing. Multiple copies of GRAW 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2....Red Dead...Halo ODST...Gears of War 2...have been sold among a group of about 8 guys only because of online coop. I play single player all the time, but spend every Tuesday and Friday night in online coop because of my friends, many who only play those nights and only buy games with online coop.

Because of an online coop feature, Operation Flashpoint sold 6 more copies than it would have normally. Because of online coop, a group of 4 of us all have Graw Future soldier preordered already. At least 5 of us are waiting until they announce what kind of coop stuff the new call of duty game will have before we preorder it, and if it is just another zombie mode...pass...if they have something like spec ops from MW2, but with at least 4 players, they just sold 4 more copies.

I can't be the only one in this situation....I know you have spent a lot of time talking about local coop, and downplaying online coop, but games like Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 show there is a demand for it.

I would not have bought Lara if not for the future online coop, and once again it sold 3 copies because of it with my friends, and if we have a blast I know two more that will pick it up.
Old 08-19-10, 03:39 PM
gamer for life

Hell even a game as bad as Zombie Apocalypse just sold 3 copies because a group of us was wanting some online coop....we just started playing that Tuesday, to hold us over until some more coop stuff hits. Games like Castle Crashers also seem to get a lot of online play. Talking about XBLA games, if quality coop experiences were available, they would do well.

Last edited by foxdvd; 08-19-10 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I can't be the only one in this situation....I know you have spent a lot of time talking about local coop, and downplaying online coop, but games like Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 show there is a demand for it.
I would say that your situation is not the norm.
Old 08-19-10, 05:41 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by slop101
I would say that your situation is not the norm.
The thing about business is you can't only make your product for the norm. I represent a number. I have no idea what that number is. If I am only 5 percent of the market (and with the sales of co-op centered games like Left 4 Dead I would say it is not less than that) I still represent thousands if not millions of extra dollars. If a game is single player and you add a shitty coop function, it is not going to help your game. If on the other hand you have a game that is made for coop, to only focus on the local is throwing away money.
Old 08-19-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's exactly how I feel. The game works fine solo, but is sure better in co-op (even while playing with my 9 year old daughter). I'd be up for some co-op levels once the patch comes out. Too bad everyone will have solved the puzzles already by then.
I agree, the game is a ton more fun co-op. Played the single player Demo and it really takes alot of the fun out of it, playing by yourself since the puzzles change and some are just gone.
Old 08-20-10, 12:15 AM

Well, I wanted to check first-day sales numbers of this year's SotA vs last year using 360voice.com. So far, last year's promotion is certainly outpacing this year.

Summer of the Arcade 2009
Splosion Man : 1962
Marvel vs Capcom 2 : 4025
Turtles in Time Reshelled : 3529
Trials HD : 3771
Shadow Complex : 8020

Summer of the Arcade 2010
LIMBO : 4020
Hydro Thunder Hurricane : 1246
Castlevania HD : 1884

I still think Lara Croft will sell well though.
To finish up the data --
Monday Night Combat : 2214 (though it went up to 2551 the next day, a budding hit)
Lara Croft and the GoL : 1473 (!)

I'm kinda shocked that LC didn't do better; for a high-profile game that is a sort of dismal number. Wonder how much the lack of online at launch hurt sales. I'm aware we're dealing with a small sample size but still for such a high-profile XBLA game, it's pretty dismal.
Old 08-20-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year's line up was soooo much better though. I bought all of them except for Turtles Reshelled (which wasn't *that* bad of a game, I just wasn't interested). Other than LC and Limbo when it drops in price, I have no interest in anything else in this year's lineup.
Old 08-20-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

and yet, in my experiences/observations among my group of friends, games get more online coop play....all my good friends have moved around the country, and the ability to play with them again is a blessing. Multiple copies of GRAW 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2....Red Dead...Halo ODST...Gears of War 2...have been sold among a group of about 8 guys only because of online coop. I play single player all the time, but spend every Tuesday and Friday night in online coop because of my friends, many who only play those nights and only buy games with online coop.
The article was mostly on smaller games, not the big muscle men gun games you've listed. Those are very successful with online features.
Old 08-20-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gooter
Last year's line up was soooo much better though. I bought all of them except for Turtles Reshelled (which wasn't *that* bad of a game, I just wasn't interested). Other than LC and Limbo when it drops in price, I have no interest in anything else in this year's lineup.
And the year before that was even better (for me).

2008: Bought all five SoA games.
2009: Bought three of the five SoA games.
2010 :Bought zero of the five SoA games.
Old 08-20-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Hmmm, I had to look up 2008:

Refresher:
Spoiler:

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
Braid
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Galaga Legions
Castle Crashers

Splosion Man
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled
Trials HD
Shadow Complex

Limbo
Hydro Thunder: Hurricane
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
Monday Night Combat
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

3 & 3 for the previous two years, and eventually Limbo & Lara on sale for this year.
Old 08-20-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if I'll get any of the 2010 titles, even on sale.

The lack of online in the demo for Castlevania (along with a local option) was really dumb.

I haven't tried Lara Croft yet, so that could surprise me.
Old 08-20-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 in 2008 (all but Bionic Commando, even on sale it's a terrible game )
3 in 2009 (MvC2 isn't my bag and I sensed way too much frustration with Trials)
1 in 2010 (LIMBO)
Old 08-20-10, 08:58 AM

For me :
4 in 2008 (all but BCR, which I gameshared with someone on PSN)
5 in 2009 (damn that promo; they suckered me into Turtles Reshelled)
3 in 2010 (After MNC and LC, I was looking at 400 points off a third and grabbed Hydro Thunder since the kids like it)
Old 08-20-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm kinda shocked that LC didn't do better; for a high-profile game that is a sort of dismal number. Wonder how much the lack of online at launch hurt sales. I'm aware we're dealing with a small sample size but still for such a high-profile XBLA game, it's pretty dismal.
I know it's a small sampling, but to put that sampling in perspective, Destructoid is reporting that Limbo sold 300,000 copies.
Old 08-20-10, 09:57 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

2 in 2008: (GW 2 and Braid)
2 in 2009: ( Shadow Complex, Trials, and Splosion Man. I was on the fence for MvC2 and thankfully I didn't buy it because I won it playing 1 vs. 100)
4 in 2010: (All except Castelvania)
Old 08-20-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scott Pilgrim's lack of online co-op makes me sad. The game is a ton of fun and is just packed full of retro awesomeness. I thought it was going to be a lot rougher than it is. Starts off pretty brutal, but once you get the hang of things and start leveling up you pretty much dominate. Thus far it's still easily worth a $10 purchase in my mind even without the online play option. (The Anamanaguchi soundtrack doesn't hurt either.)
Old 08-20-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be getting it next week for sure. Having taken my daughter to see the movie last weekend means I already have a local co-op partner.
Old 08-20-10, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by superfro
Scott Pilgrim's lack of online co-op makes me sad. The game is a ton of fun and is just packed full of retro awesomeness. I thought it was going to be a lot rougher than it is. Starts off pretty brutal, but once you get the hang of things and start leveling up you pretty much dominate. Thus far it's still easily worth a $10 purchase in my mind even without the online play option. (The Anamanaguchi soundtrack doesn't hurt either.)
Welcome to the PSN two weeks ago.
Old 08-20-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Welcome to the PSN two weeks ago.
No shit? Thanks for the heads up!

Course this is the XBLA thread.....
Old 08-20-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll try the demo, to be fair, but I'm pretty sure I'll just be buying the soundtrack.
Old 08-20-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'll try the demo, to be fair, but I'm pretty sure I'll just be buying the soundtrack.
I'd buy the OST for this track alone. (Everything else will be bonus. )

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kq8-M11xMCQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kq8-M11xMCQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.