Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Just played the Mafia 2 demo and I'm kinda impressed.

The game play was more than solid, as were the graphics and voice acting. And just as impressive was the great re-creation of early '50s New York. I'm still gonna wait for the reviews, but now I'm interested whereas before, I hadn't considered getting it at all.
Old 08-11-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by slop101
Just played the Mafia 2 demo and I'm kinda impressed.

The game play was more than solid, as were the graphics and voice acting. And just as impressive was the great re-creation of early '50s New York. I'm still gonna wait for the reviews, but now I'm interested whereas before, I hadn't considered getting it at all.
Don't think it's an XBLA or Indie game, slop.

Hey, did anyone else try MNC? I loved the online multiplayer demo, so I bought that sucker. I was really impressed with how fun it was. Hope it has a thriving online community.
I'm still stunned that the only SotA game I've bought is the one I figured I'd definitely pass on. Looks can be deceiving, I guess.
Old 08-11-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up picking up MNC and really enjoyed it this evening.

I wish there were smaller playlists though since playing a full 6v6 game seemed like it sometimes got a little laggy/choppy if a ton of things were going on at once. 4v4 I think would be a sweet spot with the game.

We played some 2v2 this evening with everyone in the same party so we could chat with one another as we figured out the Crossfire mode and it really was good fun. It seems like it will be a game that heavily rewards teamwork.
Old 08-12-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Don't think it's an XBLA or Indie game, slop.
Well, I downloaded it through Live. And I didn't feel like checking to see if there was a thread for Mafia 2. Every time I do check to see if a coming game has a thread, I somehow miss it, start one and then get ridiculed for starting one when one already exists.
Old 08-12-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by slop101
Well, I downloaded it through Live. And I didn't feel like checking to see if there was a thread for Mafia 2. Every time I do check to see if a coming game has a thread, I somehow miss it, start one and then get ridiculed for starting one when one already exists.
The easiest way to search for a thread about a game is to go to the advanced search and search by thread titles. If you were looking for a Mafia 2 thread, you could search by the title "Mafia."

Hope that helps.
Old 08-12-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also picked up MNC. I really enjoy the mechanics of it, but I really need to find out how a lot of stuff works in it. (Which units come out when, how the various character types operate, etc.) Looking forward to it.
Old 08-12-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Top Arcade Titles (Full Versions purchased)
  1. Castlevania Harmony of Despair
  2. LIMBO
  3. Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  4. Deadliest Warrior
  5. Trials HD
  6. Castle Crashers
  7. RISK: FACTIONS
  8. Blacklight: Tango Down
  9. DeathSpank
  10. UNO
  11. Game Room **
  12. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
  13. Toy Soldiers
  14. Battlefield 1943
  15. Magic: The Gathering
  16. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
  17. Worms 2- Armageddon
  18. Hasbro Family Game Night *
  19. Peggle
  20. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge
Old 08-12-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad to see GW2 still up there.

Maybe we can get GW3 for the next Summer of Arcade?
Old 08-12-10, 09:34 AM

That list is games played, not game purchases made that week, right?

The older, non-online multiplayer games (like GW2 or Trials HD) showing up on the list has no real significance, except showing that the game has some serious longevity or replay value.
Old 08-12-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If that's the Major Nelson list it's based on full versions downloaded for the week (or just the hub program in the case of Game Room and Game Night).
Old 08-12-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'm glad to see GW2 still up there.

Maybe we can get GW3 for the next Summer of Arcade?
I could have sworn shortly after GW2 released they said there were no plans (at the time) for a follow-up. Has there been any rumor of it?
Old 08-12-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am stunned people found the Deadliest Warrior game to be anything even vaguely playable.
Old 08-12-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I could have sworn shortly after GW2 released they said there were no plans (at the time) for a follow-up. Has there been any rumor of it?
I haven't really followed or heard anything yet.

All I know is that Activision screwed over the release of the game's soundtrack.
Old 08-12-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Top Indie Games (Full Versions purchased)
  1. The Impossible Avatar Getaway2
  2. The Impossible Game
  3. Baby Maker Extreme
  4. I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1
  5. Avatar Ninja!
  6. 萌めくり
  7. Avatar Paintball
  8. Try Not To Fart
  9. Flight Adventure
  10. Avatar Racedrome
  11. Zombie Estate
  12. Avatar Onslaught
  13. Avatar Drop
  14. GET TO THA CHOPPA!!1
  15. Miner Dig Deep
  16. Avatar Showdown
  17. Super Avatar World
  18. Dragon Chess
  19. The No Button Game
  20. Breath of Death VII
Old 08-12-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Top Indie Games (Full Versions purchased)
Shameful.
Old 08-12-10, 10:40 AM

If that's the Major Nelson list it's based on full versions downloaded for the week (or just the hub program in the case of Game Room and Game Night).
Okay. That makes sense as to why LIMBO ranks ahead of Castlevania HD in the Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles chart. I wonder if Destination Arcade has bumped sales.

Speaking of DA, did anyone notice that right when you launch it, you can grab certain formerly on-sale titles like Grid Defense for half-price, but after that, they disappear from the sales titles? If you navagae away and come bacy, you're only getting a discount on Boogie Bunnies. It's weird, but if anyone wanted to get Grid Defense or one of those Soccer games, that's your chance.
Old 08-12-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shameful.
Is it? Your Mahjongg game outsold the fart simulator.
Old 08-12-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has anybody bought the indie game: Decayed Part 2? (I assume there is a part one, but I haven't went and tried to find it yet). I downloaded the trial and it was a fairly simple point and click game but I really dug the environment and scenario. I figured it might be worth the mere 240 points, but I wanted to see if anybody else took the plunge yet.
Old 08-13-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

August 18th, 2010 - Game Release Details
by Game Room on Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 2:55pm

This release includes the following games from Game Pack 008:

Atari 2600

Freeway ®
© 1981 Activision Publishing, Inc.

Freeway ® was designed by David Crane and released by Activision in 1981 for the Atari 2600. In the game, one or two players guide chickens across busy freeways to safety on the other side, a premise that is reminiscent of Konami's Frogger. In an early prototype of the game, called 'Bloody Human Freeway,' the chicken was replaced with a human who died in a bloody splatter if hit by a vehicle. Concerns expressed by Activision employees resulted in the change from human to chicken.

When the game was first released, players skilled enough to guide the chicken through traffic across the freeway 20 or more times were eligible to receive a 'Save The Chicken Foundation' patch by sending a photograph of their achievement to Activision.

The game received an honorable mention at the 1982 Arcade Alley Awards for Most Innovative Game.

Maze Craze
© 1980 by Atari Interactive, Inc.

Maze Craze was programmed by Rick Maurer and released by Atari in 1980.

Seaquest™
© 1983 Activision Publishing, Inc.

Seaquest ™ was designed by Steve Cartwright and released by Activision in 1983 for the Atari 2600. The player piloted a yellow submarine and had to avoid sharks and enemy subs, while rescuing divers. The game's graphics and sound effects were considered to be very good at the time of its release.

Players could receive a 'Sub Club' patch by earning 50,000 points or more and sending proof of their achievement to Activision.

Intellivision

Snafu
© Intellivision Productions, Inc.

Snafu was released on Intellivision consoles in 1981 and developed under the working title Blockade+Snakes.

Chip Shot Golf
© Intellivision Productions, Inc.

Chip Shot: Super Pro Golf was released by Intellivision in 1987 and programmed by Steve Ettinger.

The game was originally designed as a comparative title to PGA Golf, but Steve Ettinger was an avid golfer himself and created an entirely new game from the ground up.
I'm a patient boy, they'll get to Pressure Cooker eventually.
Old 08-13-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pressure Cooker is amazing. I loved Seaquest when I was a kid, so I'll have to check that out next week.
Old 08-13-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Pressure Cooker is amazing.
When I was dabbling in doing some NES work I did a lot of design work on doing a spiritual sequel to Pressure Cooker (possibly incorporating ideas from Burger Time and/or Diner Dash). I ended up nixing it though as I found working on chip music was more fun (and actually got me gigs, etc.). Maybe if I get burned out on that I'll go back to it.
Old 08-15-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick review after the first level of Lara Croft.

Old 08-15-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions

Sorry, I'm just too busy right now to read your review.
Old 08-15-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions

Quick review of your first sentence of your Lara Croft quick review.

Old 08-15-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank god that quick review came now, a full 53 hours before we can buy it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.