Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Kotaku: Ubisoft getting rid of manuals.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Do you care if your games no longer come with a manual?
Yes
38.78%
No
61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Kotaku: Ubisoft getting rid of manuals.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Kotaku: Ubisoft getting rid of manuals.

I actually like manuals. Won't buy a used game without em.
Old 04-21-10, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't mind them getting rid of them. I usually only read them if its a sports game.
Old 04-21-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I still want a manual. Not all games tell you everything you need to know, and sometimes I need a quick reference rather than slogging through tutorials again. If it's just a downloadable PDF manual, that's fine.

And, do it in color. One of my pet peeves is how many PDF manuals are in black and white. I guess I can see why that is, if they're printing a manual and don't want to spend the money for color ink. But, some games don't even have printed manuals and they're in B&W anyway. And the thing is, you know they were produced in color, and yet they took the extra step of applying the grayscale.
Old 04-21-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Same here, the bathroom is usually populated with two things, Maxim and video game manuals.

I also buy a good volume of used, and I also will not buy a game if the manual is missing. It's one of the signs that I know the previous person took good care of the game. In probably about a year if this takes hold, we'll probably see a lot more used games without manuals, including ones that should have them but don't because store owners won't care anymore. *sigh*
So you admit to reading the manuals in the bathroom, but won't buy a used game without a manual? Where have those manuals been?

I agree that the legal crap and alternate languages that take up most manuals are useless, at least for most of us. But I appreciate a good, hefty manual with full color pictures. It's similar to how I appreciate the double-sided covers that some PS3 games come with (so you can see some scenery through the case)... it doesn't really affect the game itself, but I think it's a nice touch.
Old 04-21-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm another that tries not to buy used games without manuals, but only because games are easier to resell when they're complete.
Old 04-21-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,429 Likes on 4,396 Posts

If they were really serious about making money for their company, they'd stop their practice slashing the price of their games within the first few weeks of release so that people would actually buy them at retail price.
Old 04-22-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
So you admit to reading the manuals in the bathroom, but won't buy a used game without a manual? Where have those manuals been?

I agree that the legal crap and alternate languages that take up most manuals are useless, at least for most of us. But I appreciate a good, hefty manual with full color pictures. It's similar to how I appreciate the double-sided covers that some PS3 games come with (so you can see some scenery through the case)... it doesn't really affect the game itself, but I think it's a nice touch.
Haha, I try to not think about such things Thankfully, I'm not a germ freak or I probably wouldn't buy anything used at all. I should clarify, the manuals don't actually stay in the bathroom (but the Maxims do). It just helps me to think. Weird I know....anyway...

I agree that I do prefer a good manual with full color pictures and that any black n white manual gets a 1/4 of the time spent with it as opposed to the color version. This is the same reason I buy strategy guides (but usually only at $5 or under) for almost any game I have...I'm a sucker for reading about it and finding new tricks. Now I know most people will say just look it up on the internet. Yeah, but the pictures and the maps are better for me visually than most hint guides @ gamefaqs or anywhere else.

That does bring up an interesting side effect to the no manuals thing, perhaps we could see an increase in strategy guides. It's doubtful, but certainly possible.
Old 04-22-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
If they were really serious about making money for their company, they'd stop their practice slashing the price of their games within the first few weeks of release so that people would actually buy them at retail price.
I like the fact that we're seeing some publishers be willing to experiment around with different price points so close to release.
Old 04-22-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts

The Splinter Cell drop was crazy though. Game releases on Tuesday for $60. On Wednesday it's $42 on ebay/buy.com. On Sunday it's $40 at K-Mart.

Ubisoft generally has drops like that around 4-6 weeks, not the day after release.
Old 04-24-10, 11:44 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be happy with a simple insert reference card for the controls.