Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Scott Pilgrim: The Video Game

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 05:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Scott Pilgrim: The Video Game

Took me a while, but I finally beat level 7. That was a bear. I'm curious as to whether there are multiple endings or not, because the one I got was pretty outrageous.

Spoiler:
Ramona disappears and Scott ends up dating Knives, Envy, and Kim all at once!

Now I'm curious to see if anything will unlock. I'm sure there must be a bunch of easter eggs floating around.

Overall, a lot of fun, if a little short, but it's got a great sense of humor and style. If you've got some friends who like side-scrolling beat 'em ups then this is worth a download.
Old 08-11-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the "medium" difficulty level and couldn't even beat level 1. As much as it stings, I think I'll have to play this one on "easy". The visuals and the music are incredible, and the game is a lot of fun. Hopefully it's more manageable on the lowest difficulty setting.
Old 08-11-10, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I tried the "medium" difficulty level and couldn't even beat level 1. As much as it stings, I think I'll have to play this one on "easy". The visuals and the music are incredible, and the game is a lot of fun. Hopefully it's more manageable on the lowest difficulty setting.
Same thing here. Cheap shots abound and aplenty. It was clearly designed for multiplayer, I'm planning on trying that soon so hopefully that will ease the difficulty.
Old 08-11-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Downloading the game now. I've never read the comics, but the gameplay and presentation in the trailer had me sold.
Old 08-11-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Same thing here. Cheap shots abound and aplenty. It was clearly designed for multiplayer, I'm planning on trying that soon so hopefully that will ease the difficulty.
The thing is that you don't lose your stats with each continue, so it'll be easier the next time through. I'm guessing you also level up a lot quicker solo than you do multiplayer, so I think it does even out eventually, although it does take a few tries through the early levels to get there. (Admittedly, I started out on the lowest difficulty, but I'm assuming the same holds true for the other levels...)

Just for laughs, I brought Ramona all the way up to level 16 (as high as it goes) and maxed out all her stats to 100, then I replayed through the entire game. It's a cakewalk after that. Remember to constantly return to the Shopping District to buy all the goodies you can.

I'm not sure if the ending varies from character to character, but I got the happy ending with Ramona you'd probably expect rather than the one Suprmallet mentioned (although I think I'd rather have gotten his!). I can't believe there's no trophy for paying off Scott's rental fines, by the way.

What a ridiculous, inhuman amount of fun this game is.
Old 08-11-10, 11:28 PM
Banned by request

I imagine each characters gets their own ending, but I was thoroughly shocked at Scott's. There is a trophy for beating the game using him, incidentally.

I wonder if some of those extra areas unlock if you play and/or beat Zombie and Boss Rush mode?
Old 08-12-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Bought this.
Fun. Hilarious. Frustrating.
Old 08-12-10, 12:39 AM
Banned by request

Using objects to hit enemies is generally more effective than using your fists, I've found.
Old 08-12-10, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys there's a secret store Wallace runs during level 2 in the shopping area. The store is under the bridge when all the cars come. Look for the star and that's where the door is.

The items in there add insane ability but I've only got one so far.
Old 08-12-10, 06:46 AM
Banned by request

Good find! I didn't even notice that. Also, it appears that different characters get different entries into the subspace highway. For example, in the first level, there's an area with lots of snow you can make snowballs out of, and at the top of the screen is a closed garage door. When I played with Scott, nothing happened when I went near the garage door. With Ramona, it opened right up and let me into the subspace highway. Go figure.

Also, I played the survival horror mode. That is a hell of a lot of fun. I played with Scott, who I've maxed out, but I wonder if you can level up lower level characters in that mode.
Old 08-12-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are there any shops early in the game where you can buy Strength and Speed upgrades?

I'm sort of just buying things randomly haha
Old 08-12-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Are there any shops early in the game where you can buy Strength and Speed upgrades?
Yes. The one Evan mentioned (it's just past the second bus...where you get into that brick-backed tunnelly looking area...look for the outline of a star) has the most powerful strength and speed upgrades. The record store and the book store are both good for upgrades too, although theirs aren't nearly as powerful (though they are cheaper!). I couldn't find a way to tell what the exact boosts would be until after purchasing. I also wasn't sure which food items would be snacks and which ones would instantly boost my stats. Sometimes the names and short descriptions are a giveaway, but I kind of just bought everything until my stats were maxed out.

The 'secret' store is the greatest, though. The speed upgrade makes the game a lot more fun, and your character'll immediately start kicking orders of magnitude more ass with the bionic arm upgrade. It's also useful to stock up on extra lives when you get ready for level 7. Once your character is maxed out, you have up to 400 hit points per life (200 regular health + 200 gut points that can be converted to health), so you're pretty much unstoppable.
Old 08-12-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Adam!

I bought something at the secret shop randomly and it boosted everything but Strength and Speed

I'll probably grind the level out a couple more times to get the more expensive items.
Old 08-12-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I bought something at the secret shop randomly and it boosted everything but Strength and Speed
The bionic arm boosts strength, and the Sonic upgrade (the last one on the list) upgrades speed.
Old 08-12-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really want this but I don't know if i can afford 10 bucks now. I will have to wait until I have some extra cash.
Old 08-12-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The bionic arm boosts strength, and the Sonic upgrade (the last one on the list) upgrades speed.
I'm guessing the one before the Speed Upgrade (Fantasy?) upgrades Defense?

I just maxed out Scott's overall level to 16 and maxed out Strength. Made killing enemies much easier, but since my Defense is so low I just get wailed on. Going to see if I can get that upgraded higher before I attempt the Twins World again.
Old 08-12-10, 04:23 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
It appears that different characters get different entries into the subspace highway. For example, in the first level, there's an area with lots of snow you can make snowballs out of, and at the top of the screen is a closed garage door. When I played with Scott, nothing happened when I went near the garage door. With Ramona, it opened right up and let me into the subspace highway. Go figure.
I just tried this area again with Scott and now it worked. I guess I just missed it. Nevermind!
Old 08-12-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there an item to massivley boost your defense ?
Old 08-12-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'm curious as to whether there are multiple endings or not, because the one I got was pretty outrageous.
I beat the game a second time, this time with Stills, and my ending was:
Spoiler:
Sex Bob-omb got signed to a million dollar record contract, played to precisely 65,536 fans, and money started flowing down from the ceiling for whatever reason.

So that's three confirmed endings so far.
Old 08-12-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Is there an item to massivley boost your defense ?
The secret store that Evan Meadow mentioned in the Shopping District has an item that boosts Defense and WP by +30. It costs around $109. It's the 2nd item from the bottom, "Neverending Fantasy (?)"

at how I beat the Twins today. After having trouble getting through their lair multiple times, I finally get to the boss with maybe 70-80 heart points. I hit one, then one of them hits back. I bounce off the wall into them. I'm not sure what I did (if I pressed a button), but I bounced into them and killed them both in one hit.
Old 08-12-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I really want this but I don't know if i can afford 10 bucks now. I will have to wait until I have some extra cash.
Me too. Just finished college and now looking for work so money is tight here which sucks cause I want this, Starcraft 2
Old 08-12-10, 09:23 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I beat the game a second time, this time with Stills, and my ending was:
Spoiler:
Sex Bob-omb got signed to a million dollar record contract, played to precisely 65,536 fans, and money started flowing down from the ceiling for whatever reason.

So that's three confirmed endings so far.
I'll give Kim a go tonight and find out what her ending is.
Old 08-12-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Ramona disappears and Scott ends up dating Knives, Envy, and Kim all at once!
This is the ending I got as well.
Old 08-14-10, 06:55 AM
Banned by request

Just finished it with Kim. Her ending:

Spoiler:
She walks towards Scott, smiling suggestively. Scott is freaked out. What is going to happen?!

Spoiler:
Then she walks right past him and walks off into the sunset with Knives Chau while Scott and Stephen look very confused.

Now I just have to defeat it with Ramona and Stephen to unlock Negascott!
Old 08-15-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Oh, man. Have you guys found the 'other' secret store? This one's in a star-shaped gap in the bushes in level 6. You can buy one more move for fifty-something bucks. I'm not sure what Stills gets (he was the odd-man-out in the 3 player game I had going earlier today), but Kim shoots some kind of spectral fireball, Scott does a dash-and-punch combo, and Ramona unleashes a fiery melee-punch thing. I was doing more than sixty points of damage per hit, and I'm pretty sure that makes it the most powerful attack in the game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.