Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11.

Originally Posted by Drexl
The thing about Nike and EA is that they were strongly connected to Tiger Woods the golfer, not so much the supposed public image. I can't blame them for sticking with him, as they will profit as he performs well on the course. What else is EA going to do? I'd like a PGA rebranding, but the game wouldn't be as big as it is without Tiger.

Except for Gatorade, the other companies didn't really have a connection to Tiger the golfer; it was much more about the image. So I can understand them moving on.
Yeah that's a good point. Now that I think about it the only ones that did drop him were the ones that focussed much more on his image.

I still stand by my comment that the public has either already forgotten about the whole thing (for the most part) or will forget when he starts winning again, which is only a matter of time, so the sponsors will return...even the "image" ones I think.
Old 06-08-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by redcat
True enough. When you think about it, it is pretty unique that the number two commodity in the sport doesn't even exist in a video game, and no one seems to care or clamor for his inclusion. It shows how wide of a gap there is between Tiger and everyone else - even after his recent troubles.

ETA: I do remember reading about the John Daly game coming out in the fall. Maybe we could start a pool on how low the first week's sales figures will be.
What I think is even funnier is that, unless I'm mistaken, Phil is the number 2 commodity in all of sports. I believe his total earnings are always second behind Tiger, which puts him in front of Lebron, Kobe and guys like that. I always had $100 million for Tiger and about $50 million for Phil stuck in my head with those other guys a little bit behind Phil.

So, the number 2 endorsement earner in all of sports can't even get his name on a golf game. Pretty funny. I hate Phat Phil though.
Old 06-08-10, 08:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I have switched to Tiger Woods Online, EA's new PC version of the game. It still has some work to do to be on par with the console versions (no pun intended), but for what it is (a browser-based game) it works wonderfully.
Old 06-08-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Just got my PS3 copy from the UPS guy. I used Drexl's "cheat code" joke and got a laugh.

Interestingly, there's no mention of Move compatibility on the box. It says Playstation Eye Compatible, but it's very strange that there's not a single mention of any motion control elements. It's on the press release, so I assume "It's In The Game", but I'd feel better if it were on the box as well.

edit : Found a video demo of Move with the game. I guess it really is compatible.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tsYTMsr6GD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tsYTMsr6GD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Decker; 06-08-10 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone played the Ryder Cup mode yet? I found it mindnumbing. You have to sit through all the other AI players' shots. Is there a way to disable flyovers, walk-up animations and other players' shots that I'm missing except for hitting 'A' to skip scenes and holding 'Y' to speed up shots once hit?
Old 06-29-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Has anyone played the Ryder Cup mode yet? I found it mindnumbing. You have to sit through all the other AI players' shots. Is there a way to disable flyovers, walk-up animations and other players' shots that I'm missing except for hitting 'A' to skip scenes and holding 'Y' to speed up shots once hit?
I haven't even broken this game out yet but I read the IGN review and I'm 99.9% sure you have to sit thru all the other players animations --- total BS.
Old 07-19-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sales were WAY down this year compared to last year. I think I read as bad as 86% lower on the Wii.

EA Sports was so brazen in their "We're keeping our game named the same as always, so shut up." and now they're totally perplexed as to why their sales tanked.

I'll actually wager that all their releases will be down this year as compared to last. Then, next year, online pass will be $20.
Old 07-19-10, 11:17 AM

I can't wait for Louis Oosthuizen PGA Tour 12!
Old 07-19-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought the Wii version last year, played it a few times but the Wii just doesn't do it for me. Went back to the PS3 this year and have played it much more.

Anybody interested in playing some Tiger Online?
Old 07-19-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
I bought the Wii version last year, played it a few times but the Wii just doesn't do it for me. Went back to the PS3 this year and have played it much more.
10 in Wii was really good, but only if you used advanced controls and precision putting.
Old 07-20-10, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

From Pastapadre.com

Late last week NPD released the official sales numbers for June. Tiger Woods 11 saw a huge drop-off from what Tiger 10 sold in its first month. Given the numbers that were on hand I estimated that it had fallen in the 40-50% range. It turns out that the situation was even more dire than anticipated. Sales actually dropped 68% year-over-year for all formats combined while the Wii version specifically fell an almost unbelievable 86%. It went from 272K to 38K.

The main factor in the plummeting sales was of course the tarnishing of Tiger Woods’ reputation, which especially impacted the Wii version that carries a very heavily slanted family-friendly user base. The Tiger franchise has always sold well on the Wii as the most successful EA Sports game on that console. Last year there was a MotionPlus bundle which inflated sales a bit, but certainly not to the extent that would explain such a tremendous plummet.

Some are pointing to less in the way of marketing as another reason to consider, though that is a direct symptom of the issue EA faced by keeping Tiger on as the face of the game. They could no longer promote him, and in turn the game, in the same manner and to the same extent as they had in the past. Clearly EA Sports has little choice but to make drastic changes now. Whether that means a rebranding of the franchise remains to be seen.
Old 07-20-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd love to see it go back to just PGA Tour Golf with no spokesman, but I don't see them taking Woods' name off of the game. They'll probably see this as a temporary setback. At the very least, they'll give it another go for one more year to see if time and Woods' game changes the public's perception.
Old 07-20-10, 09:15 AM

One factor that article fails to mention is that unlike Madden there is very little need to re-buy Tiger Woods every year. It's not like there are major roster changes that would make playing last year's version obsolete. Remember too that the Wii version sold especially well last year because it was the first to include 1:1 motion control and actually came bundled with the then-bard-new Motion Plus add-on. Factor those two things together and you have MANY homes with Wiis and TW10 -- it's not surprising that TW11 would take a huge sales hit as a result. Though certainly that personal stuff isn't helping sell product.
Old 07-20-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But there's changing wind speed in this year's game! And a new font!

I fail to understand why this game needs a 12 month release cycle. It doesn't come out before the start of the season, or tied to any major event. Push it back to every 18 months.
Old 07-20-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just figure out how to give me Augusta, I want to "play" it.
Old 07-20-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Just figure out how to give me Augusta, I want to "play" it.
You mean the Southern Major Championship?

No wonder I can hardly find anyone online when I play TW 11 for the Wii.

That's staggering.
Old 07-20-10, 11:46 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm not real crazy with the fact that I feel like they hold a lot of the courses off of the disc to release as downloadable content later at $10 a pop.
Old 07-20-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I refuse to pay $10 for a course. I just upgrades my PS3 version from 07, so i'm hoping that the DLC will be really cheap next year.
Old 07-20-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, $10 for extra courses that are available at launch is absurd. I'd consider DLC if it was wild and wacky courses, something different from the normal ones, but there should really be as many real world courses on disc as possible. I'll never buy some random course as DLC, never.
Old 08-03-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Posted this in another thread but thought it'd be appropriate in this thread. iKind of off topic but noticed that sales are way down on Tiger 11 and they are attributing it to him putting his penis in a variety of skeevy chicks. I say bullsh!t. I remember Gamestop having a sweet deal that was too good to pass up on Tiger 10. Anyone one else remember that? Plus this year the change from last year wasn't that obvious. are gamers just skipping this year for next?

http://progolfnow.com/2010/07/19/tig...rom-last-year/
Old 09-29-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I need some help guys. My buddies and I downloaded the DLC courses (360 version), but they don't show up to use when we play. It gives you a message that download content is detected and to go to the main menu but there is nothing on the main menu about it.
The 360 we are playing on isn't hooked up to the net, we pulled the hard drive and stuck it in another 360 to download the courses, so I don't know if that has something to do with it? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-10, 10:19 AM

My guess would be that the gamertag that owns the courses would have to be logged into Live to use them, since you aren't using the 360 they were originally downloaded on.
Old 09-29-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I hope not. The disclaimer I read before downloading them said that they would be available to any user on the hard drive they were downloaded to, and any hard drive they were transferred to as long as the Live account that downloaded them was logged in. We did sign in with the profile (just signed in locally, not online obviously), and it didn't help.
Old 01-04-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like EA figured out a way to make me buy Tiger Woods PGA 2012, Augusta National is finally coming to the franchise.
Old 01-04-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just read that and thought exactly the same thing. After buying the game every year since 2003, I had finally decided to quit after how little I've wanted to play the latest version. But I can't say no to Augusta. I just hope they make other improvements, but I'm sure that's a lost cause.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.